Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

9 hours ago, austingirl said:

It's not consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious, and I think I went into it expecting that because on the surface, it looks like another version of Arrested Development. But the characters are genuinely likeable, much more so than you'd think given their backstory, and I like that while they are biting and snobby at times, the family relationship is endearing. Amidst some great storylines and characters.

I'm midway through S2 now and I agree with this.  You don't realize how likable everyone is unless you stop and think about it. It's a fine line they walk with that concept and it's probably why it works way better than it should. 

I'm midway through S2 now and I agree with this.  You don't realize how likable everyone is unless you stop and think about it. It's a fine line they walk with that concept and it's probably why it works way better than it should. 

Every season is better than the last imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Fauda season 3 starts soon, 4-13? Been rewatching BB in the meantime,  rather stick with something good than to roll the dice again and again on something that doesnt live up to the hype. Caught the first 3 eps of Valhalla, might stick with it. 

Had an edible and a glass of whiskey like night and found 100 Humans with the wife, we thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're one who is going to be all technical and shit about the scientific method, this show isn't for you, because that isn't the point. It's funny and though provoking and somewhat educational, if you're willing to accept it for what it is and not a scientific documentary.

I'm on the other side on this one. Watched first episode and thought it was dumb as fuck. Does being the best dancer make you have the highest sperm count???

So dumb.

So yeah i agree somewhat with your review.

10 hours ago, Dewey said:

Fauda season 3 starts soon, 4-13? Been rewatching BB in the meantime,  rather stick with something good than to roll the dice again and again on something that doesnt live up to the hype. Caught the first 3 eps of Valhalla, might stick with it. 

Fauda is so fucking good.

I started Peaky Blinders last week.  Started season two this morning and I'm so disappointed Grace is gone.  She was stunning.  Also, I hope the Polly/Son thing disappears because I do not give a flying fuck about watching them discover each other.

Fauda is so fucking good.
I started Peaky Blinders last week.  Started season two this morning and I'm so disappointed Grace is gone.  She was stunning.  Also, I hope the Polly/Son thing disappears because I do not give a flying fuck about watching them discover each other.

Lol Polly and her son are still around. That dynamic changes but its always a focal point.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

And they're all calling the others out for the exact same insane behavior.  It's impossible to look away.

It’s like reading the DT: COVID-19 thread.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:41 PM, markstanco said:

I just could not get in to that 48 IQ dude.

Oh, you could get in him if you tried.

Season four of “Money Heist” dropped yesterday.

Finished it. That show is stupid but I love it.

I just saw The Florida Project show up on my feed. I had already watched it but want to give it a rec. A bit of life from the perspective of a young girl living with her deadbeat mom in a seedy motel in presumably Orlando. Obviously sad but it’s not a beating in the way that sad movies can be, but it has stuck with me.

“Stupid show but I still love it” is the perfect way to describe “Money Heist”.

I’m only a couple of episodes in because I’m trying to ration my quarantine watching and I can only do so many episodes with subtitles in a row - I feel like I’m missing so much visually because I have to read the dialogue.

I tried it with English dubbing but it sounds so inauthentic.

Oh man, “Rectify” is SO good.

I don’t know if I can ever rewatch again though because even though it’s fantastic it made me feel so sad and frustrated and angry most of the time.

The Daniel/Amantha relationship was my favorite thing about the show besides the Kerwin flashbacks.

• Like 1

Oh man, “Rectify” is SO good.

I don’t know if I can ever rewatch again though because even though it’s fantastic it made me feel so sad and frustrated and angry most of the time.

The Daniel/Amantha relationship was my favorite thing about the show besides the Kerwin flashbacks.

Yeah, but the scene where Teddy tells the Sheriff what Daniel did to him with the coffee was hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Cant beleive I am just now discovering Community. Outstanding comedy at all levels, incredible cast, and Chevy Chase playing a caricature of himself as only Chevy can.

I’ve never seen it either. I’ve heard good things, but I’m always leery of network tv shows and tend to write them off. Don’t know why. 

14 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’ve never seen it either. I’ve heard good things, but I’m always leery of network tv shows and tend to write them off. Don’t know why. 

It started 10 years ago, and the first 2-3 seasons were great. Beginner Pottery and the first season finale are fantastic!

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Community is gold, but it got lost in the shuffle during The Office and Parks and Rec era.

I rewatched the whole series over several months ending just before COVID. It was all thoroughly enjoyable, even the seasons that people didn't seem to appreciate at the time. I watched on Hulu though.

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Community is gold, but it got lost in the shuffle during The Office and Parks and Rec era.

I will agree with this. I watched it a few years ago all the way through and just recently started again cause my gf has never seen it. 

The Dawn Wall - really good doc that I somehow missed months ago when I saw Free Solo.  I thought Free Solo was really, really good.  Dawn Wall, IMO, was even better - especially what happens at the beginning.

Spoiler

Dude and crew gets captured, so he throws a rebel off the side of a mountain.  That was awesome.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, austingirl said:

It's not consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious, and I think I went into it expecting that because on the surface, it looks like another version of Arrested Development. But the characters are genuinely likeable, much more so than you'd think given their backstory, and I like that while they are biting and snobby at times, the family relationship is endearing. Amidst some great storylines and characters.

Don't forget the compilation of every time Moira says "bebe".

It somewhat reminds me of Northern Exposure. 

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

there was a period of a few years (2008-2010 maybe?) where the thursday night nbc lineup was community - parks and rec - the office - 30 rock.  not sure what it looks like now because i refuse to watch superstore.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there was a period of a few years (2008-2010 maybe?) where the thursday night nbc lineup was community - parks and rec - the office - 30 rock.  

That was a rock solid lineup. I've recently completed rewatching The Office, Parks and Rec, and am now working my way through Community. 

seasons 1-3 of Community are pretty unbelievable. Dan Harmon (Rick and Morty creator) is the fucking man. Too bad they fired him after S3. Remedial Chaos Theory, Basic Lupine Urology, the paintball episodes, Professor Chang, Dean Pelton, Annie's Boobs, Alison Brie's tits, and one super gay basketball team? this show has it all. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

there was a period of a few years (2008-2010 maybe?) where the thursday night nbc lineup was community - parks and rec - the office - 30 rock.  not sure what it looks like now because i refuse to watch superstore.

The Office > Parks and  Recreation > 30 Rock > Community 

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

30 rock > parks and rec > the office > community.

30 rock > the office > community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 1/2 Men >>>>>> Big Bang Theory >>>>>> parks and rec

I can't think of a single show I've watched in the last 40 years with more characters I hated then then ones in parks and rec. Leslie, the indian, the indian's retarded ADD friend, big fat black chick with attitude, etc. All fucking horrible. The only not horrible character (Ron) was ruined by the rest of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

seasons 1-3 of Community are pretty unbelievable. Dan Harmon (Rick and Morty creator) is the fucking man. Too bad they fired him after S3. Remedial Chaos Theory, Basic Lupine Urology, the paintball episodes, Professor Chang, Dean Pelton, Annie's Boobs, Alison Brie's tits, and one super gay basketball team? this show has it all. 

source.gif

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

30 rock > the office > community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 1/2 Men >>>>>> Big Bang Theory >>>>>> parks and rec

I can't think of a single show I've watched in the last 40 years with more characters I hated then then ones in parks and rec. Leslie, the indian, the indian's retarded ADD friend, big fat black chick with attitude, etc. All fucking horrible. The only not horrible character (Ron) was ruined by the rest of them.

Could You Not Little Girl GIF

• Like 3

I rewatched the whole series over several months ending just before COVID. It was all thoroughly enjoyable, even the seasons that people didn't seem to appreciate at the time. I watched on Hulu though.

I started watching on Hulu about a year ago but gave up half way through season one because of commercials. Starting back now that it’s on Netflix.

12 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I started watching on Hulu about a year ago but gave up half way through season one because of commercials. Starting back now that it’s on Netflix.

Started it on Netflix. Really enjoying it. Decent blooper reels on YouTube as well, although they are hyper sexual. 

edit:  the good fellas chicken fingers episode is a riot

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I just started WWII in Color. Pretty fantastic. 

I nice adjunct is World on Fire on PBS. It airs during Masterpiece Theater. Tonight is episode 2. It’s set during the beginning of WWII.  Really good. It aired last year in England so I’m sure it can be streamed somewher, including the PBS website. It features Helen Hunt and Sean Bean. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 4

On 4/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, tantric superman said:

Unorthodox is about crazy ass Jews and a Stranger Things-ish 12 year old playing a 19 year old.

Didn't quite find the tone it may have been looking for I think.  I kinda wanted more of this.

I enjoyed it.

It's no fast and furious or Guy Ritchie film, but a good story about a group of people I've always wondered about.

Parks > The Office

Parks started with one six-episode season that wasn't very good, and ended with one season too many (should have ended with the Unity Concert) but between those two seasons had more than 100 episode of amazing TV, and what is imo the deepest/best lb-for-lb cast of sitcom characters this side of Seinfeld. Beyond the Ron/Leslie/Andy heavy hitters, it was the sheer number of Joan's, Perd's, Jamm's, Jean Ralphio's, Marcia/Marshall Langman's, and so on and so forth that made the show great. 

The Office at its best is unreal, and Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott are virtuoso comedic performances, but that show fell off HARD, and for a very long time, and it never recovered. The 50 best episodes of each of these shows could go blow-for-blow, but Parks would crush The Office when comparing the next 50 best episodes of each show. imo anyway. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Parks > The Office

Parks started with one six-episode season that wasn't very good, and ended with one season too many (should have ended with the Unity Concert) but between those two seasons had more than 100 episode of amazing TV, and what is imo the deepest/best lb-for-lb cast of sitcom characters this side of Seinfeld. Beyond the Ron/Leslie/Andy heavy hitters, it was the sheer number of Joan's, Perd's, Jamm's, Jean Ralphio's, Marcia/Marshall Langman's, and so on and so forth that made the show great. 

The Office at its best is unreal, and Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott are virtuoso comedic performances, but that show fell off HARD, and for a very long time, and it never recovered. The 50 best episodes of each of these shows could go blow-for-blow, but Parks would crush The Office when comparing the next 50 best episodes of each show. imo anyway. 

I agree.

Parks > The Office > 30 Rock > Community

• Like 1