Glass - Unbreakable/Split sequel

Red Five

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

Unbreakable didn't need a sequel.

EDIT----Before posting, I didn't know about Split. I have to revise my statement.

Unbreakable didn't need to be made into a trilogy.

Wait Split was a sequel to Unbreakable?

After "The Happening", which is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever put on film, I wrote off MKS "for good". Somewhere after that, I got tricked into giving the dude another chance and whatever I watched was decent. Then I watched "Split", and that shit was awesome. I can't wait to see this one.

So in. Loved Unbreakable. MKS found his magic again with Split.
Split is worth it for McAvoy alone. The guy is freaking amazing in that film.

Fucking a this. I feel bad for anyone who is going to get Split spoiled for them. That movie was great and the ending was one of MNS best twists. Definitely looking forward to this.

• 2 months later...

Somebody had a helluva good comment on io9

https://io9.gizmodo.com/1829682851

Spoiler

Still thinking Sarah Paulson’s Doctor character is the true villain. That everything in this trailer is the first half of the film. Dunn vs Beast is the opening (him rescuing the Cheerleaders and capturing The Beast). The hospital/prison is all the middle act. The final act is them vs the Doctor. The scene of the three captured in that church and fighting the control of the Doctor is one where all is revealed. 

I bet in that scene she shows she also has abilities. That her ability is to manipulate or control others against their will. The cells she creates is her testing the limits of her powers and finding what specific thing or element lets her control each person.

But Dunn is somehow immune to her (thus why he is the only one restrained in that church scene). So she sets Beast and Glass against him to get rid of him. 

Film still ends similar to Batman vs Superman - Glass opening up a computer file of all of the Doctor’s work, showing she has experimented upon and controlled dozens of people with abilities, and now Glass knows where they all are.

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

having been what i thought was the only person in america who liked unbreakable, i was unaware of this "split," but i'm going to have to check it out. this looks great.

8 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies. Never saw "Split". Had no idea that it was tied to Unbreakable at all.

Unbreakable is quite good.  A little slow but really fun payoff.  Split is also very good..... McAvoy's performance is harrowing.  Must watch going into this.  Who would have thunk M Night may have a super hero trilogy define his career.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

11 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

having been what i thought was the only person in america who liked unbreakable, i was unaware of this "split," but i'm going to have to check it out. this looks great.

7 hours ago, XYZ said:

Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies. Never saw "Split". Had no idea that it was tied to Unbreakable at all.

What you guys wrote.

Unbreakable is quite good.  A little slow but really fun payoff.  Split is also very good..... McAvoy's performance is harrowing.  Must watch going into this.  Who would have thunk M Night may have a super hero trilogy define his career.

I watched it again recently and that moment in Fletcher’s home when McAvoy shifts from Barry to Dennis is just masterful. Incredible acting.

• 1 month later...

Watched split last night. Enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting that none of the personalities, as far as I could tell, spoke with a Scottish accent. 

It was on a Plex account, so I skimmed some of the reviews attached to the file. Strange mixture of like and dislike, with at least two calling it an exploitation film.  I don’t see that at all. The girls never get naked, are only in underwear for short scenes that are non sexual, and they are smart and work to free themselves. 

They are just a plot device for Kevin/Barry/etc and the idea presented about how the mind affects the body. 

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed it as well.  They're so much subtle stuff Night is doing with colors and blocking and camera to make it looks a lot like an ole fashioned comic book tale.  Would have enjoyed a bit more fighting in the end but who knows if ole man Willis could have kept it up.  McAvoy again steals the movie, but I liked all the plot line progressing and resolving into one.  It's not a Sixth Sense sort of "twist".  You can pretty much see it a thousand yards away but it doesn't make it any less interesting to see it go down.  Not as good as the first two, but pretty close.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

This movie was confusing. It feels like it should have began where it ended.

I agree that Paulson’s character was annoying.  The bulk of the movie was her and her dumb crusade. I kept thinking, why are we dwelling on this question of “are they or aren’t they”?  We know the answer. Unbreakable already explored and answered that question.  So did Split for that matter.  The whole movie I kept thinking Jesus, let’s get on with it. This psychiatric ward shit is not compelling. The story spent like 80 minutes in neutral.

I get that M Night was trying to do something on a modest budget.  But I dunno. I was hoping for something better.  I love Unbreakable, and Split was fun.  But good for M Night I guess, because the movie looks like it’s gonna turn a fat profit.

Biggest disappointment for me was probably Bruce Willis’s character.  He didn’t really have much to do.  Glass spends  half the movie drooling into the camera. The movie is essentially Split 2. 

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Great acting but didn’t care for the plot/theme. Meh

25 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I agree that Paulson’s character was annoying.  The bulk of the movie was her and her dumb crusade. I kept thinking, why are we dwelling on this question of “are they or aren’t they”?  We know the answer. Unbreakable already explored and answered that question.  So did Split for that matter.  The whole movie I kept thinking Jesus, let’s get on with it. This psychiatric ward shit is not compelling. The story spent like 80 minutes in neutral.

I get that M Night was trying to do something on a modest budget.  But I dunno. I was hoping for something better.  I love Unbreakable, and Split was fun.  But good for M Night I guess, because the movie looks like it’s gonna turn a fat profit.

Biggest disappointment for me was probably Bruce Willis’s character.  He didn’t really have much to do.  Glass spends  half the movie drooling into the camera. The movie is essentially Split 2. 

Yeah this is where I am. It's like the movie was designed to ensure that all three of these great characters have as little to do as possible. Lots of sitting in their rooms and sitting in chairs. And we already know everyone, so it's not like we're digging into anything new. Just waiting until the end. 

20 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don’t think you, and many others on this thread, are people that enjoy a slow psychological thriller, especially in the classic Hitchcock sense. It’s not for everyone. I get it. 

The psychiatric ward was the most compelling part of the movie. They were not “dwelling on the question ‘are they or aren’t they’, that was not the point of the ward, the movie was about believing in oneself. Paulson represented doubt, but by believing in oneself, or each other, the main characters were able to overcome doubt. 

Mr. Glass had a modest budget of 20 million. Split was 9 million. Unbreakable was 75 million. I think that’s a good thing, as sometimes modern directors rely too much on CGI shit. 

Glass spent half the movie drooling into the camera because that was his power, he was a Mastermind. He pretended to be brain dead, all the while planning an escape and broadcast of superheroes to the world. Which worked.