How Is That Chain Still Open?

I don't think fast food joints are really about burgers any longer, but BK's shitty hamburger is about 100x better than McD's regular hamburger. Plus the og chicken sandwich (minus Mayo) is solid. 

I kind of hate McDonald's. Fries are good. 

Also I like Long Dong Silvers. Makes for a very solid craving killer once every decade or so.

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't think fast food joints are really about burgers any longer, but BK's shitty hamburger is about 100x better than McD's regular hamburger. Plus the og chicken sandwich (minus Mayo) is solid. 

I kind of hate McDonald's. Fries are good. 

Also I like Long Dong Silvers. Makes for a very solid craving killer once every decade or so.

BK's king deal is a good bargain for lunch/quick supper...chicken sammie, cheeeburger(with bacon option), small fry and coke for like 3.50

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Also true.  It's amazing how many small towns actually have few decent dining options.  Seriously, you'd at least expect a good local cafe.*

* However, as the hispanic population has now reached most corners of Texas, even in the smallest, least-served places, there's often a taqueria -- often in a building that used to be a DQ, Pizza Hut, or other chain that couldn't make it -- that serves damned good mexican food.  When in doubt, find the taqueria, and you can get a decent meal.  Funny thing is, after a few years, the local white farmers will start to frequent it as well.  Because 2 good breakfast tacos and a cuppa coffee for $5 is right their speed.

Yeah, which is proof positive that food and community is what we need more of in this current environment. 

If we could shut down facebook and cable news, a lot of common ground could be hashed out over tacos, beer and grilled/smoked meats. 

I haven't had a fast food hamburger outside of Whataburger in probably 15+ years.  I broke that streak a few days ago and had Jack in the Box.  I won't do that again for another 15+ years.  I am not even a big Whataburger fan but their burger is leaps and bounds better than the big chain fast food joints.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Chili's is great for a typical family with younger kids. I loved Chili's growing up. Those bigmouth burgers were good. Would I really want to go there these days? Probably not. But if I did because someone wanted to, I'd have no issue finding something to eat.

I see Chilis as more of a reserved atmosphere for families and Applebees being the exact opposite. Most of the Applebees brings in a low hanging fruit crowd especially at night. Hell its pretty much a nightclub at many of them. 

Spot on.  We go to Chili's as a family because of my 5 yr old.  He fucking loves their pizza on the kids menu.  My wife and I  get the free chips and salsa and will more often than not split a triple dipper.  In and out in about 30-45 min and the kid is happy and we spent less than $30.  I call that a win.

13 hours ago, skipperj said:

Pros: Whataburger.

Cons: no more throwing down an appetizer and a large beer at Chili’s, fight for a place at the bar for a beer and a shot at Antlers, grab a to go from the cart and wait in line for boarding, chugging it and dropping in the trash can just before showing your plastic B boarding pass.

Goddamn, I miss that old overcrowded terminal.  I can still remember most of the gate assignments . . . 

Gate 1: SAT

Gate 2: AMA/HRL

Gate 4: HOU

Gate 6: LBB

Gate 7: MSY/MAF

Gate 8: AUS

Gate 9: ABQ

Gate 10: OKC

Gate 11: ELP

Gate 12: ?

Gate 14: TUL

Gate 15: LIT

Red Robin has tried to rebrand themselves as a craft burger and craft beer type of place. They took down most of their over the top kitschy decor, at least at the ones near me.

It's still a kid place though, I think they just tried to make it more tolerable for parents. Didn't really work. My kids like it though.

31 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Just so odd to me that they tore down the "old" Red Robin in Sunset Valley (Longhorn Steakhouse now I think?) and then a few years later, open another one.  

It was discussed somewhere on here but there was some shady stuff going on at that franchise and I believe it got revoked. Skipper had the full story I think. 

I used to work with a lady a few times a year that would only eat at chain restaurants. I’d always pick Chili’s and if  someone picked it now I wouldn’t put up much of a fight. Plenty of decent to good options. 

Edited by 4th&Five

46 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Chilis is a safe fallback that ain't gonna break your bank for a family of 4. Little bit of everything.

Never understood the hatred for it but then again, I dont get hard off of 35 dollar plate of duck cheese with tiger butter drizzled on it with a green olive on the side

I hate it because I worked there in high school. I also hate it because I don't think they actually cook much food anymore. It's all preprepared and they just slap it together.

19 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Reasonably priced flame-grilled burger with fresh stuff on it, served in a clean restaurant by fast friendly people.

Not to be underestimated, Dude.

BK has grown on me of late but their breakfast leaves something to be desired. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Chilis is a safe fallback that ain't gonna break your bank for a family of 4. Little bit of everything.

Never understood the hatred for it but then again, I dont get hard off of 35 dollar plate of duck cheese with tiger butter drizzled on it with a green olive on the side

There's usually any number of mom & pops that do it better for the same or lower price. I can get more of the same Chilis food at Kroger.  

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I hate it because I worked there in high school. I also hate it because I don't think they actually cook much food anymore. It's all preprepared and they just slap it together.

That's the Brinker way.  I worked at a restaurant called Cozymel's while my wife, and the I, finished up college.  When I first got there, the food was unique and 100% fresh.  I think Brinker purchased the chain at some point and everything started to switch to pre-made.  Totally f'd up the concept.

At one point, I flew down to Austin to help open up a new one.  I don't recall exactly where, but I believe it was next to or near a Cheesecake Factory in north Austin.  They had scrapped the chips and salsa, for garlic bread.  WTF?  The original concept was coastal grill.  They tried to switch a Mexican coastal grill restaurant into an upscale restaurant with steaks and whatnot.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There's room for this.  For some reason, my kids love Applebee's.  Of the places they'll pick for a family lunch on a Fall Saturday, I can do a hell of a lot worse than a high top in the bar, cold beer, and college football on a few TVs...even though the food sucks.

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's the Brinker way.  I worked at a restaurant called Cozymel's while my wife, and the I, finished up college.  When I first got there, the food was unique and 100% fresh.  I think Brinker purchased the chain at some point and everything started to switch to pre-made.  Totally f'd up the concept.

At one point, I flew down to Austin to help open up a new one.  I don't recall exactly where, but I believe it was next to or near a Cheesecake Factory in north Austin.  They had scrapped the chips and salsa, for garlic bread.  WTF?  The original concept was coastal grill.  They tried to switch a Mexican coastal grill restaurant into an upscale restaurant with steaks and whatnot.

I remember that joint (I think).  It was close to the Cheesecake Factory in that it was in the Arboretum but was actually next door to TGI Friday's in that building that could never be the same thing for very long...was an On the Border, Cozymel's, something else before that (steak I think...Dan McClusky's maybe?).

I think it's a Brazilian Steakhouse now if I'm thinking of the right building.

Edited by VolenteHawk

On 7/30/2018 at 1:35 PM, Brisketexan said:

What I found:

Pancho's Arlington

5751 SW Green Oaks Blvd

Arlington,TX,76017

Tel: 817 483 7085

Pancho's Fort Worth

2434 Jacksboro Hwy

Fort Worth,TX,76114

Tel: 817 625 1529

Pancho's Fort Worth

6238 Rufe Snow Dr

North Richland Hills,TX,76148

Tel: 817 893 5315

Pancho's Dallas

4001 Wheatland Road

Dallas,TX,75237

Tel: 972 709 4685

Are you just listing Texas locations? There is still an open Pancho's in West Memphis. I haven't been there in ages, though. The one where I live (Jonesboro) burned down probably 20 years ago, never to return. 

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, the chips and salsa are the best thing on their menu.  Seriously, I actually like them.

Skillet queso is a guilty pleasure as well.  My sister worked for Chili's and then Brinker for several years, and can reproduce it exactly.

• Like 1

I ate at a Ruby Tuesday's in Tempe last year. Easily among the top 10 worst meals of my life. I had a sirloin (doing the slow carb diet thing), and they probably used 8 oz of butter for the 8 oz steak. Everything else was likewise drenched in butter. You might think that would be a good thing. It was not.

6 minutes ago, SurlyORama said:

I ate at a Ruby Tuesday's in Tempe last year. Easily among the top 10 worst meals of my life. I had a sirloin (doing the slow carb diet thing), and they probably used 8 oz of butter for the 8 oz steak. Everything else was likewise drenched in butter. You might think that would be a good thing. It was not.

The good thing about Ruby Tuesdays is that while you're in there, it's still 1982. You can buy Apple stock, bet on future (for 1982) Superbowls, and then merely by walking outside back into the present, you're a gazillionaire.

• Like 1

The original Chili's on Greenville Ave in Dallas was the first place I remember us eating when I moved to Dallas as a kid in 1977. It was a treat. Their soft tacos were messy and good. They brought free refills on your cokes, which I had never seen until then.

12494777_1196440047063322_41034236042564

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, po elvis said:

The original Chili's on Greenville Ave in Dallas was the first place I remember us eating when I moved to Dallas as a kid in 1977. It was a treat. Their soft tacos were messy and good. They brought free refills on your cokes, which I had never seen until then.

12494777_1196440047063322_41034236042564

Awesome. I think I was pulling about $2.50 an hour in the late 70s, would gladly have lied about my age to get one of those beers.

(Yes, children-- in the 70s, you could just tell the server you were old enough, and most times it would work.)

Edited by RDCanecutter

It was discussed somewhere on here but there was some shady stuff going on at that franchise and I believe it got revoked. Skipper had the full story I think. 
I used to work with a lady a few times a year that would only eat at chain restaurants. I’d always pick Chili’s and if  someone picked it now I wouldn’t put up much of a fight. Plenty of decent to good options. 

Yes. We used to love to go there because their kids eat free promotion ended up being every day for a year or so. $25 out the door for 4 of us. Kids were young and loved the place. TVs in the floor!

One day, l logged into my bank and saw $2k worth of fraudulent transactions on my debit card. When I called UFCU, they asked if I had been to Red Robin lately.

It was reimbursed quickly. When I got the call that all the frauds were verified and my report was closed, the person offered up that there was tons of fraud from that location. Within a month, they were closed.

I’m going to guess credit card servicers halted transactions, and they were done.

3 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

You ordered steak at the shitty version of TGI Friday’s?