Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The interviews with Delores were how Ford refined Bernard.  He wanted to get as close to Arnold as possible, so he used Delores' knowledge of him since they had spent so much time together.

I should have said trained by Ford with Delores' help to get Bernard robot to imitate Arnold.

But that implies that Delos' consciousness wasn't really his consciousness, but an imitation, just like Bernard was of Arnold.  I say that because of the "fidelity" line (i.e., William was trying to see how faithful the Delos copy was to the real Delos, just as Delores was doing so with Bernard).  Is that correct? 

I think an important difference between the copy of Delos and Bernard was that Arnold died before Ford started to re-create him.  He didn't have the human to copy or transfer like he did with Delos, so he had to use his own memories and Delores' to reverse engineer Bernard.  Delos was as exact of a copy as possible who broke every time he realized he was a copy.  Bernard doesn't appear to have that problem since he wasn't made the same way.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I think the an important difference between the copy of Delos and Bernard was that Arnold died before Ford started to re-create him.  He didn't have the human to copy or transfer like he did with Delos, so he had to use his own memories and Delores' to reverse engineer Bernard.  Delos was as exact of a copy as possible who broke every time he realized he was a copy.  Bernard doesn't appear to have that problem since he wasn't made the same way.

Yeah, that is what I got from it. If you make it too much like the original human, from their actual memories, it rebels against it's programming. If you take a blank slate and write it's code from others memories of a person, it is fine. An exercise in how one sees themselves vs how others see them.

Also, the actual hosts, they kept getting their programming changed for different scenarios, which is why they became somewhat self aware. Bernard was not killed over and over and reprogrammed with an entirely different background.

Edited by bamachine

32 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

I want to see more Delores titties...what are the odds she pauses her death tour to get naked and get laid?

If she's anything like the security guy who got blown up by Angela, then the odds are good. 

Yea, this season is quickly coming to a fork in the road. Which way they go will determine it's fate for me I think. Wish Maeve would have croaked, she sucks. I like MiB, though, unlike most. Agree the Ford/Bernarnold story is most interesting right now.

I still trying to watch this last episode, which I keep zoning out on, and it struck me why this season is uninteresting. I just don't care about the characters. There really are no sympathetic characters now. That makes it really difficult to care what is happening enough to follow the storylines. There's not as much mystery about the motivations of the characters. They're just there. And those that we may feel some sympathy for are just programs anyway, and prone to change into something else. These hosts aren't the same people they were last season. They don't really care what they are and why they are different than humans. That would be more interesting. But their goals seem pretty hollow, because their characters are hollow.

11 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

I took it as Delores is Deathbringer.

Same. On one of the occasions that "Deathbringer" is mentioned, the show the Indian walking through the graveyard past a cross with Dolores' name on it.

22 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Yeah... Loved this one and the explanatory tie-ins to events in previous episodes.

Also... Is the "Deathbringer" Delores (too obvious?), MIB (still obvious), or MIB's daughter?

Edited by bolverk
meant to also quote the spaceman

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

So MiB was wrong the entire time about the maze being for him? 

Lawrence's daughter tried to tell him that last season after he killed her mom in the Mexican village.

To answer your second question, yes, I think so, and it seems to have taken Ford by surprise when he was talking to the Indian.

Edited by bolverk

so my wife and i watched the first episode of this season, and were looking at each other all "wtf" the entire episode. we haven't watched any of the other episodes, but i've been following this thread somewhat loosely. as someone who is deciding whether or not to watch this season, i can say as a slight outsider, this thread has a very "lost" series feel to it. ie, nothing being said seems to indicate that her is any closure coming and it seems that many of you have the same questions i had after episode 1 of season 2. 

do i have that about right? is there a good reason to subject myself to all the WTFness it seems this season revels in. i loved season 1.

31 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so my wife and i watched the first episode of this season, and were looking at each other all "wtf" the entire episode. we haven't watched any of the other episodes, but i've been following this thread somewhat loosely. as someone who is deciding whether or not to watch this season, i can say as a slight outsider, this thread has a very "lost" series feel to it. ie, nothing being said seems to indicate that her is any closure coming and it seems that many of you have the same questions i had after episode 1 of season 2. 

do i have that about right? is there a good reason to subject myself to all the WTFness it seems this season revels in. i loved season 1.

It's too early to comment on that yet.  I'd wait until after the finale to see the reaction.  At this point, it certainly seems pretty lost-esque.  

Loved season 1 but quickly losing interest.

I keep saying this but the lack of a protagonist is hurting the show more than anything. The audience needs someone or something to root for. We have nothing. A bunch of jackass selfish humans trying to survive and protect their technology against a bunch of lifeless hosts. Many of the hosts were sympathetic at one point but they’ve been mostly stripped of that.

The non-linear plot does not seem to serve a purpose other than to create confusion and make the story appear more sophisticated than it actually is. It made sense in season 1 but now they are clinging to it for unknown reasons.

I’m tired of close calls like MiB or Maeve getting shot full of holes but magically surviving, or Dolores holding a bone saw to Charlotte’s face twice and then letting her escape. That has TWD written all over it. Either kill someone or don’t.

I’m annoyed that they show us the park management has eyes all over the park, but then somehow hosts like Akecheta go completely awol and are surprised to find them out of bounds. Even worse, we’ve seen both Maeve and Akecheta roam all over Westworld headquarters without a single person in sight. It’s apparently an abandoned and unmonitored building when that suits their crazy plot.

Comparisons to LOST aren’t fair to LOST at this point. It made it arguably 72 episodes or more before things started to fall apart. Westworld is struggling after 15 episodes.

• Like 5

Agree with wild turkey above. There is no character that I can feel sympathetic for for more than one episode. We had the Japanese madam from an earlier episode, and Akechata for this one. It’s sad that I care more about them than Delores and Maeve.

Some scenes have been downright stupid. The Delos team’s attack on the fortress - yeah, let’s have 50 guys walk straight Into a hail of bullets, no cover, no divsersion, no flanking move... and the Delos bad ass who found Talulah Riley. He KNOWS she’s one of the bad robots, but instead of ending her in the spot, he wants to bone her? Come on! Also, while hosts and Delos team will die with a single bullet grazing their ear, how many bullets has MIB taken to center mass?

I’m not a smart man, and i think I figured out which scenes are Arnold. But is there one Bernard? Two? Is there a robot Arnold?  I’m waiting for season 2 finale hoping it’ll clear up who’s who. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The non-linear plot does not seem to serve a purpose other than to create confusion and make the story appear more sophisticated than it actually is.

This, and I'm not wasting any more time on blogs or podcasts to nerdsplain it to me. This should be a really cool show about robots overtaking their human creators but in order to drag things out they need to mess with the chronology, and also add meaningless distractions like the map. 

• Like 1

I thought the episode was done well, though having to read most of it was annoying.  Whether it was integral to the plot or a means to drive the story forward really doesn't concern me as much as some of you.  Sure, I want to get to the end at some point, but what's the rush? 

I agree with those who feel that the lack of a protagonist is hurting the show.   I am somewhat partial to Maeve, but that's more of a Thandie Newton crush thing than being able to identify with her character.  I think we are clearly supposed to have sympathy for the hosts, but the writers have done a poor job of making us care. 

8 hours ago, hornian said:

Did you consider Season 1 to have a satisfying conclusion?

I did.  I knew there was a season two and thought the ending both answered questions and gave us something to look forward to.  Again, two episodes left and we have no idea what stupid game Ed Harris is playing.  How is that interesting?

16 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Only two episodes left.  I don't see a satisfying conclusion.  Season one had a plan.  Season two is directionless.  

The first season was starting to wane in a similar way at the same point, but the ending bumped it back up. But it really is uneven. A good series should have some consistency throughout the episodes. A big lull for weeks an a knockout conclusion isn't really how it's supposed to work.

It was a good episode in a vacuum, but as part of whatever the fuck story they are going with, it was word salad. 

This was must watch TV for me season 1. Now I see a couple episodes piled up on my DVR and decide to stop down to see if it gets any better. Spoiler... It hasn't.