So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

On 4/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, texifornia said:

Patterson should have taken the call for politeness' sake. Red should have read the room in terms of not essentially calling our first black head coach coming off a Sugar Bowl win an idiot (no matter how truthful it turned out).

Agree on all points!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I bet the interview was awesome.

Strong: "What kinda offense you proposing to run?"

Bell: "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Strong: "Ooh, a man of mystery, I'm intrigued. Don't you think you oughta tell me?"

Bell: "You have to hire me to find out"

Strong: "SOLD!"

According to these 2 articles: https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/1/11/18176491/kerwin-bells-offensive-philosophy-the-fun-and-gun-south-florida-charlie-strong-usf-bulls-american & https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/01/16/kerwin-bell-assumes-total-control-of-usf-offense/, Kerwin Bell runs a spread version of Steve Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" offense. So I guess his offense fall under the category of a pro-spread.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, texifornia said:

Patterson should have taken the call for politeness' sake. Red should have read the room in terms of not essentially calling our first black head coach coming off a Sugar Bowl win an idiot (no matter how truthful it turned out).

Do you even fuck you money, bro?  Red doesn't need to read many rooms.

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You think Red is racist?  Lulz. That’s adorable. 

Ya see...some people think anyone who ever says anything negative about a person of color is automatically racist.  It's really quite a racist perspective in and of itself.  It was rampant throughout the Charlie Strong era and apparently some people still haven't moved on.  God forbid Red just had higher standards for our program and thought we could hire someone better for the job regardless of race, which turned out to be correct.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well if he didn't want most of the country's sports media calling him a racist...

What was the end game either way? If you think a coaching hire sucks so be it but keep it to yourself. 

When they suck at Texas you can be vocal about it. 

What was the benefit of Red saying what he did? If he thought Texas could do better he could have made his point known to people that mattered without it becoming a headline.

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well if he didn't want most of the country's sports media calling him a racist...

Who did?  Screamin A Smith?  That chode Herbstreit?  Jason Whitlock?  I remember a handful of outspoken shaggy posters and maybe a small handful of national sports "media" types saying that.  Probably a 1-2 local ones.

Either way, I doubt ole Red lost a wink of sleep over any of it.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If you think a coaching hire sucks so be it but keep it to yourself.

When they suck at Texas you can be vocal about it.

Why?  He's not allowed to express his opinion on the matter when asked about it?  Not to get al CR up in here, but what the hell happened to free speech?  By your rational , you should probably keep your opinions on what Red should have done to yourself.  In fact, we should all keep all of our opinions to ourselves and surly shouldn't even exist.  Or can we only express our opinions after the fact, not before?  Not sure I'm following how you think this should work and what applies to what and when.  Seems to be a bit of a moving target for you based on your own agenda.

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Why?  He's not allowed to express his opinion on the matter when asked about it?  Not to get al CR up in here, but what the hell happened to free speech?  By your rational , you should probably keep your opinions on what Red should have done to yourself.  In fact, we should all keep all of our opinions to ourselves and surly shouldn't even exist.  Or can we only express our opinions after the fact, not before?  Not sure I'm following how you think this should work and what applies to what and when.  Seems to be a bit of a moving target for you based on your own agenda.

Lol at making this a free speech issue. Red has every right to say what he wants but it doesn't mean he should have said it.

If Red thought we could do better and had "higher standards" he has access to people that matter. He could have expressed himself in a more appropriate context. We're an online board that nobody reads outside of a few Texas fans. Comparing that to our most prominent donor running his mouth on radio is a funny comparison. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Red thought we could do better and had "higher standards" he has access to people that matter. He could have expressed himself in a more appropriate context.

How do you know he didn't and was ignored by Patterson's dumb ass?  What seems more plausible...Red is a racist or Patterson didn't handle it correctly?

I like to argue as much as anyone about just about anything...that's practically what built this place.  But when someone has to play the "racist" card, just because someone says something they don't agree with, it's a pretty good indication you've lost the argument.  Red said nothing racist and nothing he shouldn't have said.  He was asked his thoughts, he has zero fucks to give, he said he thought we could have done better and it just happened to be about a black guy.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How do you know he didn't and was ignored by Patterson's dumb ass? 

I have no insight here but I don't really buy it. If Red was willing to go on radio to run his mouth about Strong he would have no issue telling everyone that Patterson was an idiot. 

If he was shooting from the hip he would have called out Patterson for not taking his calls. 

I'm not sure why you think I'm making this a race issue either. I would have the same opinion if it was Herman. Say what you have to say in a more appropriate context. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Who did?  Screamin A Smith?  That chode Herbstreit?  Jason Whitlock?  I remember a handful of outspoken shaggy posters and maybe a small handful of national sports "media" types saying that.  Probably a 1-2 local ones.

This right here.

I like to think that most people are sensible but there is a large portion of people sensitive enough to register concern any time a POC or LBGT person is the subject of criticism. Most of those people can differentiate between valid criticisms based on their merits and invalid criticisms based on their nature. But not all.

Then there is a very small percentage of people that sound the klaxons any time this happens, regardless of how justified the criticisms are. This group is usually connected, savvy, and eager for the attention for one reason or another, and whether they do it sincerely, in order to promote an issue or person they like, or just because they like to watch the world burn, occasionally their gossip mongering finds fertile soil and it takes off.

That's what happened here. Some idiots dismissed Red as a racist and other people sensitive to the fact that Charlie was our first black HC took the bait.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

This right here.

I like to think that most people are sensible but there is a large portion of people sensitive enough to register concern any time a POC or LBGT person is the subject of criticism. Most of those people can differentiate between valid criticisms based on their merits and invalid criticisms based on their nature. But not all.

Then there is a very small percentage of people that sound the klaxons any time this happens, regardless of how justified the criticisms are. This group is usually connected, savvy, and eager for the attention for one reason or another, and whether they do it sincerely, in order to promote an issue or person they like, or just because they like to watch the world burn, occasionally their gossip mongering finds fertile soil and it takes off.

That's what happened here. Some idiots dismissed Red as a racist and other people sensitive to the fact that Charlie was our first black HC took the bait.

Sadly, the shoot-first, ask-questions-later are always eager to take the bait. 

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to The Longhorns playing USF in 2019?

https://fbschedules.com/usf-and-texas-schedule-three-game-football-series/

"In the first game of the series and first ever meeting between the two schools, USF will travel to face Texas at Darrell K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin on Aug. 31, 2019.  USF will host the second game at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on Sept. 3, 2022. The series then concludes back in Austin on Sept. 7, 2024."

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What happened to The Longhorns playing USF in 2019?

https://fbschedules.com/usf-and-texas-schedule-three-game-football-series/

"In the first game of the series and first ever meeting between the two schools, USF will travel to face Texas at Darrell K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin on Aug. 31, 2019.  USF will host the second game at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on Sept. 3, 2022. The series then concludes back in Austin on Sept. 7, 2024."

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Added linky.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Remember when the recruiting dorks wanted us to hire a “special assistant” secret head coach so Charlie the amazing recruiter could stick around?

Fucking lol.  Killer draft brah!

Yes - I do. Shaggy had reached Idiocy: level 100 by that point.  He was considered a master evaluator of talent by so many.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes - I do. Shaggy had reached Idiocy: level 100 by that point.  He was considered a master evaluator of talent by so many.  

Sometimes I wonder how Strong’s recruiting prowess would have been perceived if not for his hype man Jason Higdon.

Anybody got today’s lottery numbers?

Red isn't racist, his comment wasn't racist. That said, he was the first black football coach at UT and as smart as he was, he should have realized how his remarks would be taken and used against the program. That's my main issue with it. It was a stupid thing to say in a public setting where it could be misconstrued. Then again, if his goal was to undermine Charlie then it probably was exactly what he wanted. It just made recruiting more difficult. We've seen that play out the last couple drafts with the lack of talent.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Red isn't racist, his comment wasn't racist. That said, he was the first black football coach at UT and as smart as he was, he should have realized how his remarks would be taken and used against the program. That's my main issue with it. It was a stupid thing to say in a public setting where it could be misconstrued. Then again, if his goal was to undermine Charlie then it probably was exactly what he wanted. It just made recruiting more difficult. We've seen that play out the last couple drafts with the lack of talent.

Charlie Strong in his full classes largely got who he wanted. He just wanted the wrong players. 

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Yeah, Red's one comment about thinking we could have done better than Charlie Strong for a head coach was the reason our last couple drafts lacked talent.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

even if it were true-- and the results on the field bear out that it was-- it was really odd to hear a Sugar Bowl winning coach described as being about coordinator level for Texas. It doesn't justify why people went to "RACISMS!" right away but the apoplexy was understandable

On 4/7/2019 at 7:28 PM, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Nothing like doing a turbo scroll down the page and knowing Phlegm was there without even checking for Bill the Cat.

He's got the second-best comic avatar on the site.

21 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Charlie Strong in his full classes largely got who he wanted. He just wanted the wrong players. 

Eh, he'd get everyone he wanted once he looked at his board late in the game. Bama, Ohio State and others made hay poaching the top few kids in the state before Charlie even started recruiting them in earnest.

His late closes were fun, but he did so little to lay groundwork or even just keep kids engaged until then.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Landomatic said:

Ya see...some people think anyone who ever says anything negative about a person of color is automatically racist.  It's really quite a racist perspective in and of itself.  It was rampant throughout the Charlie Strong era and apparently some people still haven't moved on.  God forbid Red just had higher standards for our program and thought we could hire someone better for the job regardless of race, which turned out to be correct.

Woulda been cooler if he had actually said that.  

21 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

even if it were true-- and the results on the field bear out that it was-- it was really odd to hear a Sugar Bowl winning coach described as being about coordinator level for Texas. It doesn't justify why people went to "RACISMS!" right away but the apoplexy was understandable

Remember, he said "MAYBE a coordinator."   He first suggested that Charlie should be a position coach.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Remember, he said "MAYBE a coordinator."   He first suggested that Charlie should be a position coach.  

He did, and we don't yet know whether that was also accurate... although, be fair, his takeover from Vance didn't bear a lot of fruit. Nothing we've seen at Directional Florida makes it look like he was mistaken about the HC position, though.

• 2 months later...

https://www.tampabay.com/business/usf-coach-charlie-strong-buys-south-tampa-house-for-32-million-20190709/

TAMPA — University of South Florida football Coach Charlie Strong has some posh new digs — a nearly 7,000-square-foot waterfront home in South Tampa.

Strong and his wife paid $3.2 million this week for the Mediterranean-style house, which was on the market for just one day. Located in Beach Park’s Pirate's Cove area, it has five bedrooms, six full bathrooms, a four-car garage, a pool and a covered dock. Construction of the house began in 2006; the sellers acquired it two years later for $1.8 million in a pre-foreclosure sale and completed it in 2013.

Pretty ballsy to buy a home in an area where people want your ass fired.