Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

one season doesn't make Ingram injury prone but he definitely was limited a lot.  you never know, especially at RB.  Brown has a good offer list and we seem to do pretty well with kids named Brown..

He's good enough Bama made a legit offer to him, and not one of their here's an offer come to our camp bullshit, either. If Bama wanted this kid, we should all want him. He's been my second favorite recruit since he committed, I still can't believe we got him. I thought it was just bullshit that people were saying he's a Texas lean without an offer, and sure enough he gets the offer and never waived. Do. Want.

10 hours ago, cdain3 said:

You have to keep him one more year.

EJHolland247 32577 posts6 minutes agovia MobileVIP Zach Evans brother told me he was closely watching what Texas did at RB today. They know UT has no depth and absolutely needs to win Zach next cycle. I think that’s going to help.

so now the day is over, I can finally reveal all.  

EJ was truly leaning towards Just An Idiot, but Fucking Liar won out at the end of the day.  The last few days really had it looking like he would donn the dunce cap, however the company line was just too much.  He's now all in as a Fucking Liar, and he has a head start in the weight room furiously writing bullshit to get clicks for the next 52 weeks regarding Zach Evans. 

Hes Ketchum lite with whipped cream. 

14 minutes ago, bob in houston said:

I split off ztejas and earl of texas to antother thread.

feel free to report any posts from other people that showed up today and I'll move those over to that thread

ztejas and earl of texas, there is a thread if you want to continue in the recruting forum. don't post in this thread

giphy.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He's good enough Bama made a legit offer to him, and not one of their here's an offer come to our camp bullshit, either. If Bama wanted this kid, we should all want him. He's been my second favorite recruit since he committed, I still can't believe we got him. I thought it was just bullshit that people were saying he's a Texas lean without an offer, and sure enough he gets the offer and never waived. Do. Want.

totally agree. he looks like a player and may be faster than ingram.  I was just commenting on the "might not get as many touches" comment.  If all 3 of this kid, Ingram, and Young can stay healthy and the OL can get even a bit better than last year we could be real trouble.

11 minutes ago, Tony Soprano said:

Please man. Nobody is mad that we signed him. We just needed another back in the class.

I mean yeah, I know and I agree. In fact I was saying I really like Brown, but our fan base as a whole was definitely complaining about our RB haul, of which Brown is a part. 

Take a scroll through his twitter likes and tell me that he hasn't heard all the noise about how Texas fans are disappointed in the RB class. He's also getting a lot of love once people cooled down, which is great and was my larger point. He's an easy guy to like for the people not hung up on Cain/Sanders. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, bob in houston said:

feel free to report any posts from other people that showed up today and I'll move those over to that thread

ztejas and earl of texas, there is a thread if you want to continue in the recruting forum. don't post in this thread

Please just make that the only thread ztejas can post in

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 2

30 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

totally agree. he looks like a player and may be faster than ingram.  I was just commenting on the "might not get as many touches" comment.  If all 3 of this kid, Ingram, and Young can stay healthy and the OL can get even a bit better than last year we could be real trouble.

Couldn't agree more. I watched this kids highlights and he came off as Kamara lite. Not saying he'll be Kamara, but his ability to catch out of the backfield, his vision, and his speed set him apart. I have a feeling people will forget Cain existed when all is said and done. I still can't believe we got this kid. This is the type of RB Georgia should be drooling over 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

whose time?  your time?  not our time.  get a grip you fragile nitwit. 

It’s hard to know when you are being satirical because, well you are not very funny. But wasting our time indeed. We went in on Sanders and we don’t really have a viable backup plan. That cost us more than “time”. It has the real chance of causing harm to our roster. 

We need to decide at some point if we are going to play the game. Our strategy is kind of a half pregnant approach of going after southeast blue chip players but not willing to pay for commitments. 

16 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s hard to know when you are being satirical because, well you are not very funny. But wasting our time indeed. We went in on Sanders and we don’t really have a viable backup plan. That cost us more than “time”. It has the real chance of causing harm to our roster. 

We need to decide at some point if we are going to play the game. Our strategy is kind of a half pregnant approach of going after southeast blue chip players but not willing to pay for commitments. 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It will cause very little harm to our roster unless we whiff next cycle. We still have time to find a JUCO RB. At worst will be heading into next season with 3 viable RBs in Ingram, Young, and Brown with Jake Smith having the ability to take carries in packages. If LJH comes back that gives you a 5th guy that can take carries and Sam accounts for half a RB. It may be premature to say Derrian Brown will be the 2nd best RB on our roster but if everything holds, he will be the 2nd best RB on our roster as a Freshman. Our best will be Ingram who will be a Sophomore. We will be fine as long as the staff can land Evans.

You're going to have a hard time recruiting running backs until you run the ball at even a competent level which we struggle to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It will cause very little harm to our roster unless we whiff next cycle. We still have time to find a JUCO RB. At worst will be heading into next season with 3 viable RBs in Ingram, Young, and Brown with Jake Smith having the ability to take carries in packages. If LJH comes back that gives you a 5th guy that can take carries and Sam accounts for half a RB. It may be premature to say Derrian Brown will be the 2nd best RB on our roster but if everything holds, he will be the 2nd best RB on our roster as a Freshman. Our best will be Ingram who will be a Sophomore. We will be fine as long as the staff can land Evans.

You're going to have a hard time recruiting running backs until you run the ball at even a competent level which we struggle to do.

Calling Young viable is being kind. He's going to get Toniel Carter'd if he continues to not hold onto the fucking ball. And I'd like our best receiver (LJH) to be a receiver.

We definitely need another back that can play next year, but it could be another grad transfer, Watson worked out pretty well.

1 hour ago, bob in houston said:

Please keep non recruiting related posts off of the recruiting thread. Thank you. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Calling Young viable is being kind. He's going to get Toniel Carter'd if he continues to not hold onto the fucking ball. And I'd like our best receiver (LJH) to be a receiver.

We definitely need another back that can play next year, but it could be another grad transfer, Watson worked out pretty well.

Yeah guys like Danny Young, Kirk Johnson, and Tristian Houston cannot be counted on. And Kyle Porter is likely transferring. 

I hope everyone isn’t pinning their hopes on landing Evans because his recruitment will be a circus clown shitshow and I don’t like our chances.
  • Like 2

Do any of these reporters get “fact checked” to make sure they aren’t spewing BS?

Like did EJ really talk to Evans, or is he just making shit up to pump clicks on a good yet disappointing day? I’d be curious if half their statements like “heard he’s leaning X,” and “I spoke with Y source” are even true.

19 minutes ago, CravenTaters said:

Do any of these reporters get “fact checked” to make sure they aren’t spewing BS?

Like did EJ really talk to Evans, or is he just making shit up to pump clicks on a good yet disappointing day? I’d be curious if half their statements like “heard he’s leaning X,” and “I spoke with Y source” are even true.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Yeah guys like Danny Young, Kirk Johnson, and Tristian Houston cannot be counted on. And Kyle Porter is likely transferring. 

I might overvalue Daniel Young but in no way is he in the same grouping as Houston and Porter. Young actually has some talent (see his 4.6 yards a carry as a FR). 

The Daniel Young hate is kind of odd. I'm not saying he's the next great RB but when he got touches his FR year he was actually decent. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

Heading into NSD2 the number of blue-chip recruits (composite 4 and 5 stars) each school has landed the last 2 cycles:

Georgia 41

Alabama 40

Ohio State 34

Texas 32

Penn State 32

ND 29

OU 27

A&M 27

Auburn 26

LSU 26

USC 26

Florida 26

Clemson 24

Oregon 24

FSU 23

Michigan 23

Washington 22

Yes I know there are different interpretations of "blue-chips" but this the interpretation used when evaluating the blue-chip ratio. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I remember how fucked we were when we didn't sign Adrian Peterson and Rhett Bomar, or how we were ruined cause Ryan Perrilloux decommitted

We were fucked when we didn’t sign Adrian Peterson and Rhett Bomar.  Players of that caliber had been signing with Texas in years past.  5 straight loses to OU were having an effect. What had been a few chinks in Mack’s recruiting armor were quickly becoming gaping holes. Fortunately, Vince stemmed the tide by leading a team with a lot of depth (that was seemingly unlikely to be repeated) to a national championship.

• Like 2

seems an odd comment.  why would he take anyone, ever, who he didn’t believe could develop into a championship caliber player?
Don't take quotes from Twitter reporters. That's not what he said.

He was asked about the number of out-of-state signees this cycle and he said (approximately):

"Obviously, any time we can sign 25 players from the state of Texas who we feel can perform at a high enough level to help us win championships, then we're going to do so. But if we don't feel there are that many available to us, then we'll go out of state to find them."
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I might overvalue Daniel Young but in no way is he in the same grouping as Houston and Porter. Young actually has some talent (see his 4.6 yards a carry as a FR). 

The Daniel Young hate is kind of odd. I'm not saying he's the next great RB but when he got touches his FR year he was actually decent. 

The [unfavorable opinion] comes from the completely forgettable year that Young had this year.

He wasn't supposed to be the fumbler and yet I remember him fumbling an important time or three when he got the ball at key times. (I honestly can't remember the games, nor the number of actual times he fumbled, but that's what sticks in my head.)

Perhaps it was because he was the 3rd option after being the 2nd option in 2017, but he didn't seem like he cared the few times he was in the game... which probably contributed to him not playing much.

(I'm now going to look up his stats on the season.)

Games Played: 13
Attempts: 42 _ (3.23 carries/game)
Net Rush Yards: 153 _ (11.77 yards/game)
Average Yards/Carry: 3.6
Touchdowns: 0
Long: 30 yards
Best Game: vs USC  12 for 57 (4.8yd/rush)
Worst Game: vs Kansas State  2 for -3 (-1.5yd/rush)
No Stats vs OU & Baylor, then OU in CCG
Had 10 yards or more: 4 games (first 4 of the season: Maryland, Tulsa, USC, TCU)
Receptions: 1 for -1 yard 
Fumbles Lost: 2  (1 vs USC, 1 vs Iowa State)

By most standards, that is a shitty season. Especially for a 2nd year player who showed promise in his first year. The season totals from his freshman year were pretty good. From his sophomore year... behind a better line, with much more solid QB play... absolutely sucked.

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4259348

Like half of Young’s carries this year were at the end of games where he just fell on the ball. The sample size this year in terms of carries is way too small to reach any conclusions especially given the context of when he actually got the ball. 

I think Herman and the offensive staff realized they rotated players too much in year one so they stuck with the top 2 backs and top 3 WRs for most of the year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The [unfavorable opinion] comes from the completely forgettable year that Young had this year.

He wasn't supposed to be the fumbler and yet I remember him fumbling an important time or three when he got the ball at key times. (I honestly can't remember the games, nor the number of actual times he fumbled, but that's what sticks in my head.)

Perhaps it was because he was the 3rd option after being the 2nd option in 2017, but he didn't seem like he cared the few times he was in the game... which probably contributed to him not playing much.

(I'm now going to look up his stats on the season.)

Games Played: 13
Attempts: 42 _ (3.23 carries/game)
Net Rush Yards: 153 _ (11.77 yards/game)
Average Yards/Carry: 3.6
Touchdowns: 0
Long: 30 yards
Best Game: vs USC  12 for 57 (4.8yd/rush)
Worst Game: vs Kansas State  2 for -3 (-1.5yd/rush)
No Stats vs OU & Baylor, then OU in CCG
Had 10 yards or more: 4 games (first 4 of the season: Maryland, Tulsa, USC, TCU)
Receptions: 1 for -1 yard 
Fumbles Lost: 2  (1 vs USC, 1 vs Iowa State)

By most standards, that is a shitty season. Especially for a 2nd year player who showed promise in his first year. The season totals from his freshman year were pretty good. From his sophomore year... behind a better line, with much more solid QB play... absolutely sucked.

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4259348

I'm sure he cared, that's an odd diagnosis. He might just not have been used to playing so sparingly and been a little cold/stiff/whatever when he came in.

Tex, I value your input and really like your level headed approach to recruiting.  But your take on Young is off.  If you want more playing time, you have to earn it.  At any school.  He should be ready to kick some ass when his number is called.  I like Young and expect a rebound season next year but he's going to have to earn it.

• Like 1

Success is college football is driven by may factors. One of the biggies is "explosive plays." Late in the season, one of the TV color guys during one of our games said something along the lines of the only two teams in the entire country without an offensive play over 50 yards was us and Rutgers. It is amazing we won as many games as we did, considering this stat. Young isn't an explosive plays kind of guy, and I have my doubts about KI. The one running back I had high hopes for in this regard just announced he will transfer. I hope this young man from Georgia who just signed has some big play ability. We desperately need it. 

It looks like Bru didn’t sign an LOI but I’d imagine that he signed financial aid paperwork with the school he chose so he can enroll early. I wonder if both schools are allowed to contact him still or if there is a strict no contact rule like when they sign an LOI. Anyone know?

9 minutes ago, Snotrocket said:

Tex, I value your input and really like your level headed approach to recruiting.  But your take on Young is off.  If you want more playing time, you have to earn it.  At any school.  He should be ready to kick some ass when his number is called.  I like Young and expect a rebound season next year but he's going to have to earn it.

Oh I'm not excusing his struggles this year, I just don't think it was because he didn't care. That's pretty rare and Young seems like a team player.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If God told him to go to The Pedophile State University over The University Of By God Himself Texas, maybe all those things aggy has been saying about us all these years are true. 

I wonder whether Kyle Porter is for sure transferring after the spring semester. He’s been very frustrating, but maybe behind an improved offensive line he could provide needed depth, reducing the need to find another RB. I think he is a lot better than he showed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I wonder whether Kyle Porter is for sure transferring after the spring semester. He’s been very frustrating, but maybe behind an improved offensive line he could provide needed depth, reducing the need to find another RB. I think he is a lot better than he showed.

He is not good. And he redshirted this year specifically so he could grad transfer, which is an opportunity for a free postgrad degree a kid as smart as him will almost certainly take up.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He's never run through any tackles, outrun anybody to a corner, or made an expected cut when a hole opened in a different place that he was headed.  Yeah he can play in pinch if everyone else is hurt and we just need a guy to block or catch a dump off and run 3 yards.

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If God told him to go to The Pedophile State University over The University Of By God Himself Texas, maybe all those things aggy has been saying about us all these years are true. 

It cracks me up that these kids who haven’t played a down of college football act like they are the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. Business??  Riddle me this Noah....are you planning to live in Pittsburgh or Philly after you finish college?  The odds of you playing in the NFL are slim. So when that doesn’t work out, what “business” are you planning to do?  Work in coal or steel?  My guess is you will want to move back to the south when you are done with football and the PSU alumni base isn’t as large as the Texas base. But hey, I hear Altoona is nice this time of year, so enjoy your 4 years in Happy Valley and hopefully you are “distracted” by finishing 2nd and 3rd in the Big 10. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

It looks like Bru didn’t sign an LOI but I’d imagine that he signed financial aid paperwork with the school he chose so he can enroll early. I wonder if both schools are allowed to contact him still or if there is a strict no contact rule like when they sign an LOI. Anyone know?

What are you basing your information on? I thought he was going to sign but it would be kept a secret until he announced. Then again, I haven’t felt the desire to read everything in this thread for the past 48 hours.