Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×

Did anyone watch this 6-part miniseries earlier in the year? What were your thoughts?

Taylor Kitsch did an incredible job portraying David Koresh, imo. It was such a stunning transformation and based on all the documentary footage I've watched, thought he nailed the mannerisms and constant paranoia.

Michael Shannon and Rory Culkin were perfectly cast.

Think they did a great job of showing just how frustrating, yet empathetic, the Davidians were. Such a tragic story and I'm glad I was able to watch a great dramatization of it.

Madman or Messiah is a must after the six part miniseries. It is amazing to me that there are survivors of the siege that still believe he is coming back. 

Finally watched this on Netflix. Taylor Kitsch was spot on.  The FBI negotiator was good, as was John Leguizamo.

Yes, we watched it as it aired (on Paramount?) and thought it was extremely well done all the way around.  Would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Just watched it this weekend.  It was definitely done with a sympathetic slant toward the Davidians.  After watching it, I can understand why.  Changed my opinion on a lot of this.  I still think they should have come out sooner, Koresh did seem to be stalling, and he also seemed like a bit of a lunatic*, but that was about as good a representation of him that he was going to get.

He was banging underage girls, so all his religious shit is iffy to me.   I think those guys set up their cults just to get laid.  

22 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Just watched it this weekend.  It was definitely done with a sympathetic slant toward the Davidians.  After watching it, I can understand why.  Changed my opinion on a lot of this.  I still think they should have come out sooner, Koresh did seem to be stalling, and he also seemed like a bit of a lunatic*, but that was about as good a representation of him that he was going to get.

He was banging underage girls, so all his religious shit is iffy to me.   I think those guys set up their cults just to get laid.  

Being a follower in a cult is more fun. But being the leader pays better.

Just finished this on Netflix.

Done well.  No doubt has a slant toward Koresh however, what I'm more concerned about is the depicted abuse of power by the alphabet-soup-federal-agencies involved.  Did the ATF/FBI really fuck up as bad as was represented in the series?

Look - Koresh was a nutjob...no doubt.  However, those people were US citizens and, based on what I just watched, they were denied due-process, life, and liberty.

Part of me is pretty pissed off about all this.

Part of me is just amazed at how pathetic the people that followed Koresh were.

3 hours ago, vox said:

Done well.  No doubt has a slant toward Koresh however, what I'm more concerned about is the depicted abuse of power by the alphabet-soup-federal-agencies involved.  Did the ATF/FBI really fuck up as bad as was represented in the series?

Look - Koresh was a nutjob...no doubt.  However, those people were US citizens and, based on what I just watched, they were denied due-process, life, and liberty.

Part of me is just amazed at how pathetic the people that followed Koresh were.

I think it's pretty accurate in that regard.  Both that and Ruby Ridge were some serious government fuckups in the cold light of day.

I think it's pretty accurate in that regard.  Both that and Ruby Ridge were some serious government fuckups in the cold light of day.
Iirc there were no repercussions either

On 5/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, vox said:

Bless your heart 

I was getting my haircut the other day and there was a lull and the stylist started talking about Netflix shows.  This one came up.  I remember watching it when it first came out and I don't remember anything that struck me as anything I was not already aware of when all of this was sorted out.

Probably my main gripe, a small one, was how they portrayed Jack Harwell the McLennan County Sheriff.  He always wore his stetson tilted to the side along with a tan leather jacket.  You can see him in some clips with that Henry Lee Lucas bio pic that Netflix did.  He seemed larger than life if you ever met him.  

The main thing I remember was watching all of this unfold in real time about 15 minutes away from where I lived.  It was about 2-3 miles away from my parents house.

Another side to this is I knew other local law enforcement officers that were in contact with the Davidians the day of the raid.  Firefighters that were on scene the last day. And finally, 4 people I had met in a laundromat back in 87, including Vernon Howell.

Apologies if I have l brought this up before.  

Meh. Too long. 

Spent way too much time being sympathetic to Koresh and the cult. Not my cup of tea there. 

Always thought this was ATF idiocy and didn't see anything to dispel that. 

The whole thing came down to that mailman, who happened to be a Branch Davidian.

He doesn’t drive by and see the lost television people, get asked for directions to Mount Carmel, see some of the prep for the raid, and then rush to tell Koresh, the ATF probably catch them off-guard and none of it ever happens.

McLemore’s colleague Jim Peeler, a cameraman, had inadvertently aroused the suspicions of the Branch Davidians after getting lost on the way to Mount Carmel that morning and talking with a postman, who turned out to be Branch Davidian David Jones.

We binged this over the weekend. Some really nice acting done in the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk