Voter Suppression

Pancho

17 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

The optics of the house passing and pubs blocking in the Senate would be so much winning

The DNC needs to set up an offshoot that is 100% focused on state AG and SOS races for 2020.  These are where redistricting and votings right are being won/lost -- at the state level.

In 2019, there will be 23* Republican SOS and 20* Democratic SOS (*2 going to a run-off for GA and LA).  +3 for the Democrats (flipped WI, AZ and CO) 

In 2019, there will be 24 Republican AGs and 25 Democratic AGs (Hawaii is non-partisan) +4 for the Democrats (flipped CO, NV, MI, WI)

Two things are now clear: the Democrats did not steal the US midterm election and the Republicans have elevated voter suppression to an art form. Another reality emerged — race-baiting and suppression became intertwined across the Old Confederacy in contests that pitted a white Republican against a black Democrat.

As minority voters continue to grow as a share of the electorate, look to the Republican party to yell “fraud”. Ensuring that every vote counts is the farthest thing from its collective mind. When the president openly fantasised about people changing their clothes and then casting additional ballots in disguise, he was broadcasting an audible dog whistle.

https://www.ft.com/content/d613cf8e-ec09-11e8-89c8-d36339d835c0

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

So rampant voter fraud affecting outcome of an election. Republicans are right, it does exist! Only it's republicans doing it. NC-9.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/certification-in-limbo-in-nc-house-race-as-fraud-investigation-continues/2018/11/29/109209f6-f406-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html

Yeah Nate Silver was tweeting about that last night

I didn't read the whole article (was falling asleep) but it was talking about people going door to door and presenting themselves as officials collecting absentee ballots, taking them unsealed, telling a woman who had only voted on two candidates (because she didn't care about the other ones) that they would complete here ballot for her.  

I didn't read the whole article (was falling asleep) but it was talking about people going door to door and presenting themselves as officials collecting absentee ballots, taking them unsealed, telling a woman who had only voted on two candidates (because she didn't care about the other ones) that they would complete here ballot for her.  
Yeah. mostly elderly blacks and then there was an abnormal amount of absentee ballots for the R from those areas. Talk about voter suppression.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I posted in another thread, but apparently the guy who helped him win was also involved with him during the primaries, and the Republican primary was close enough that it could have been influenced/stolen as well.

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

About what ?

Alleged election fraud committed by the campaign of a Republican Southern Baptist preacher in North Carolina to win a congressional seat.

Dude, don't play dumb. You're my favorite Republican on this site and, at times, post some really good points. Seriously, this is beneath you.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Alleged election fraud committed by the campaign of a Republican Southern Baptist preacher in North Carolina to win a congressional seat.

Dude, don't play dumb. You're my favorite Republican on this site and, at times, post some really good points. Seriously, this is beneath you.

Cut me some slack. I just woke up, sat down with my first cup of coffee after sleeping off (5) 3 finger pours of really good bourbon at last nights first Christmas party.

I wasn't sure what he was referring to, I was just responding to his notification, which was the first thing I opened when I clicked on Surly,   but if it's the e mails/tweets/reports about  republican voter fraud, and they're true, bust their assess.  

I want to win, but not by cheating or fraud.  The message should be enough to sway people, and if it's not then you deserve to lose.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cut me some slack. I just woke up, sat down with my first cup of coffee after sleeping off (5) 3 finger pours of really good bourbon at last nights first Christmas party.

*scoff*

You're no surly. You need to regale us with tales of kegs of beer, bottles of wine, and free-flowing liquor. Also, that 23-year-old red-headed 10 with ghost nipples you banged last night.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Christmas party on December 1st? What are you, a lawyer?

Fuck no, wifes' client in the automobile insurance business.  He has multiple locations though out the state, and has a big party for his employees and certain reps/ friends.  We have another Christmas party tonight. The season begins !!!!!

Hit a VCU basketball game first, they're coming to Austin Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

*scoff*

You're no surly. You need to regale us with tales of kegs of beer, bottles of wine, and free-flowing liquor. Also, that 23-year-old red-headed 10 with ghost nipples you banged last night.

Lots of free flowing alcohol, and some out the back door weed consumption. Already tuned up after a few beers at the VCU basketball game beforehand.

The wife would probably frown on the 23 year old, red head banging.  Her with a red wig though,  hmmmmmmmm  ??????

I wasn't sure what he was referring to, I was just responding to his notification, which was the first thing I opened when I clicked on Surly,   but if it's the e mails/tweets/reports about  republican voter fraud, and they're true, bust their assess.  
I want to win, but not by cheating or fraud.  The message should be enough to sway people, and if it's not then you deserve to lose.

Sounds like you won the party, fair and square
  • Like 1

On November 30, 2018 at 7:42 AM, horncyclist said:
On November 30, 2018 at 7:24 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah. mostly elderly blacks and then there was an abnormal amount of absentee ballots for the R from those areas. Talk about voter suppression.

Voter suppression occurs both when legitimate voters are disenfranchised and voter fraud occurs. I do not understand why this should be a partisan issue. Everyone benefits when we have a system that both enables the most qualified folks to vote and prevents voter fraud. This is an issue like gerrymandering and campaign finance reform where most people's position changes based on the party - we should all support an system where we can feel good about its integrity. I think Nelson Mandela is a good model here.

I don’t like that the accepted narrative, pushed mostly by a certain type of media (from what I’ve read), about Georgia now is that there was widespread (implication: organized) voter suppression. I don’t consider using the rules to your advantage to be voter suppression. So far I have seen no evidence (and anecdotes are not evidence) of voter suppression in Georgia. I think Abrams went out like a petulant whiny child when she should have talked up her accomplishment and conceded gracefully. It really shouldn’t be that surprising that a progressive Democrat didn’t win the gubernatorial election in Georgia.

If you don’t like the rules then vote for people who will change the rules. Don’t cry about it. If there is evidence of real crimes, like the travesty going on in North Carolina, then prosecute and sentence with extreme prejudice.

To that end I just got back from my local polling place where I voted for the Democrat in the SOS runoff because I think the level of gerrymandering is horseshit, I think it should be easier to register to vote, I don’t think voter fraud is some massive problem, and I like a little checks and balances in my government. I prefer the R’s a little scared.

But I don’t think he’ll win.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:11 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

About what ?

Well, this.

I did see your response. I didn't put you in the voter suppression side. Fair and square hasn't been the case in far too many places like this. 

So what you gonna do? If you are NC. Call a mulligan and run it back? Even back to the GOP primary? That's been suggested at least. 

905 votes. And one seat in the House. 250 bucks for how many unsealed envelopes? That won't pay for a night at JerryWorld.

Edited by cactusflinthead

The Twitter story is hard to follow but it looks like some kind of wheel within a wheel corruption. We need massive voting reform. It looks like Rafferty or whatever his name is won the GA SOS. We’ll see if he’s a worthy suppressor  for Kemp. Big shoes to fill. I want to vote conservative; I really want to, but they’re just so much more corrupt right now, and that’s a high bar. This voting stuff is so foundational.

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/politics/wisconsin-legislature-power/index.html

wisconsin moving forward to diminish the power of the new Dem governor.  Says nothing but the republicans politicians only wanting to represent their voters.    Not all citizens.  

There's going to be another purge