Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Was in Austin this weekend for the first time in about 6-7 years. Visited a buddy of mine that lives at The Whitley. I found a parking spot a block away. Didn't even make it to the meter before a homeless dude starts operating the parking kiosk for my windshield ticket. Told me to put in payment, got my ticket and then did the "I'm trying to get your spare change" spiel. I gave him $5.00. I went to the crosswalk and another homeless dude gave me a recommendation about not traveling on poorly lit streets. He wanted change for the advice, I declined. Pre-gamed with buddy and friends and hit 6th St. We were hit up leaving every bar from Pete's to some jazz club. Got a late night slice at Ropollo's and ending up buying a homeless lady a slice. While in line, a German dude made his bff dress up in a dress and claim it was their wedding night. Said he actually was joking, had a hot girlfriend and makes $145K a year. Asked for a dollar and he got it for the entertainment value alone. (Though, he couldn't understand my drunk German) Friends from Austin were pissed that I did that.

I work in Manhattan, get hit up constantly on the trains/streets and rarely give anything. This was worse.

Guest Lobo

You sound older than 24 and since you live in Manhattan let me give you a pro tip, Stop going to dirty sixth street.  

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Was in Austin this weekend for the first time in about 6-7 years. Visited a buddy of mine that lives at The Whitley. I found a parking spot a block away. Didn't even make it to the meter before a homeless dude starts operating the parking kiosk for my windshield ticket. Told me to put in payment, got my ticket and then did the "I'm trying to get your spare change" spiel. I gave him $5.00. I went to the crosswalk and another homeless dude gave me a recommendation about not traveling on poorly lit streets. He wanted change for the advice, I declined. Pre-gamed with buddy and friends and hit 6th St. We were hit up leaving every bar from Pete's to some jazz club. Got a late night slice at Ropollo's and ending up buying a homeless lady a slice. While in line, a German dude made his bff dress up in a dress and claim it was their wedding night. Said he actually was joking, had a hot girlfriend and makes $145K a year. Asked for a dollar and he got it for the entertainment value alone. (Though, he couldn't understand my drunk German) Friends from Austin were pissed that I did that.

I work in Manhattan, get hit up constantly on the trains/streets and rarely give anything. This was worse.

I feel like you could have excised everything in your post but the bolded. 

I recently bought a bus ticket from L.A. to Houston for my homeless family member and he never made it. It’s not uncommon for him to get kicked off the bus for drinking and smelling horribly, but he called and said he was in Austin. It could be complete bullshit, but either way, my apologies. 

• Fuck You 2

I recently bought a bus ticket from L.A. to Houston for my homeless family member and he never made it. It’s not uncommon for him to get kicked off the bus for drinking and smelling horribly, but he called and said he was in Austin. It could be complete bullshit, but either way, my apologies. 
Fuck you...kick his dumbass too the curb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

You sound older than 24 and since you live in Manhattan let me give you a pro tip, Stop going to dirty sixth street.  

I’m gonna respectfully disagree here.  dirty 6th is wonderful.  sometimes you gotta go low to get high. 

Yesterday morning I drove up on a younger homeless man having a seizure in the middle of Koenig  (westbound, right before Grover Ave).   Appeared to have tried crossing the middle of street and was struck by a car.  Car must've been moving pretty quick as the passenger side of their windshield was completely smashed in and the j-walker looked pretty cut up.  Haven't seen anything in the news but wouldn't be surprised if he died.

45 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Yesterday morning I drove up on a younger homeless man having a seizure in the middle of Koenig  (westbound, right before Grover Ave).   Appeared to have tried crossing the middle of street and was struck by a car.  Car must've been moving pretty quick as the passenger side of their windshield was completely smashed in and the j-walker looked pretty cut up.  Haven't seen anything in the news but wouldn't be surprised if he died.

Was the rickshaw okay?

Well that’s like your opinion man. I work in Manhattan on occasion and Austin isn’t worse—at least not yet. Nothing compares to street dwellers around Penn Station, Port Authority, and many subway platforms away from tourist areas.

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

car driver is doing god's work.

9 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Well that’s like your opinion man. I work in Manhattan on occasion and Austin isn’t worse—at least not yet. Nothing compares to street dwellers around Penn Station, Port Authority, and many subway platforms away from tourist areas.

god almighty, i was grabbing an uber close to the port authority bus terminal the other day (essentially, 8th and 40th).  fuck me...won't ever make the mistake of being anywhere near that area again.

Can’t pump gas or leave your car at any of the down town 7-11s without them trying to open you damn door for you. I don’t want your hands on the paint and I don’t have any fucking change. 

I feel sorry for the store owners as they have now set up permanent shop to get first dibs at everyone of their customers. 

Mid we want to end this we need to block ACL with campers and send all A Team vans to Kitchen’s hood. No need to Dox. TCAD is your friend. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t pump gas or leave your car at any of the down town 7-11s without them trying to open you damn door for you. I don’t want your hands on the paint and I don’t have any fucking change. 

I feel sorry for the store owners as they have now set up permanent shop to get first dibs at everyone of their customers. 

Mid we want to end this we need to block ACL with campers and send all A Team vans to Kitchen’s hood. No need to Dox. TCAD is your friend. 

You aren't going to do any of that.

7 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Is it possible he didn't know that you're supposed to wait for the car to stop before trying to squeegee someone's window and then pressuring them to give you money?

Thoughts and prayers obviously.  

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

t5oawxte15931.jpg

So we are gonna need funding to remove yet another automobile lane for a bike/scooter/shopping cart lane?   Got it.  My bond commission will get right on it!

levity aside, surely vision Zero extends to homeless campers taking shipping carts out onto roads with 50mph traffic in order to procure supplies for the evening camp out?   What day you Ann kitchen?  

So Adler spends more of his budget proportionally on homeless issues than any other major US city.  With worsening results to show for it.  How exactly does that qualify him to speak on these issues to other leaders?   Oh right right, the repeal of certain homelessness laws and a new proposed 100 bed center in south austin.  Yes, I forgot he had that robust set of data from the last 9 days.  Should really give the world insight into how well his vision is going after a week and a half.  

Heres a data set, after almost three years your mobility bond is an outright failure.  Maybe talk about that while you’re on your panel of incompetence.  Go back to being a real estate attorney.  At least your gritting in that paid off.  

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

KVUE news this morning says Adler on way to LA and Seattle to talk about homeless issues. 

Awesome.  

I saw the police chief on the news stating homeless can camp on sidewalks.  My first thought is that won’t last long if residents start taking pictures and reporting the ADA violations (sidewalks are required to have, I believe, 42inches of clear path which doesn’t leave much room for camping).

2 hours ago, SDG said:

I saw the police chief on the news stating homeless can camp on sidewalks.  My first thought is that won’t last long if residents start taking pictures and reporting the ADA violations

Right. The police will be working OT shifts responding to all those ADA violation reports.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Right. The police will be working OT shifts responding to all those ADA violation reports.

It’s not a police thing. You report it to the link in the ADA website with photo proof and they will reach out to the city.  I actually did this with a couple construction sites here when I wasn’t getting help from the city.  The sites were cleaned up within days (one moved their fence in and built a tunnel for pedestrians).  Both of my parents are elderly with handicap plaques so it pisses me off when people don’t follow simple accommodations rules. 

14 minutes ago, SDG said:

It’s not a police thing. You report it to the link in the ADA website with photo proof and they will reach out to the city.  I actually did this with a couple construction sites here when I wasn’t getting help from the city.  The sites were cleaned up within days (one moved their fence in and built a tunnel for pedestrians).  Both of my parents are elderly with handicap plaques so it pisses me off when people don’t follow simple accommodations rules. 

It was a joke.

And bless your heart if you think the city is gonna do anything about ADA violation reports that involve displacing homeless squatters.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Just like you won’t take them into your home or yard or neighborhood. 

Good night woke prince. 

I would have no problem with low income housing being built by my neighborhood. I grew up in a city with no zoning.

We survived.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I would have no problem with low income housing being built by my neighborhood. I grew up in a city with no zoning.

We survived.

Low income by your neighborhood?

You are so progressive and so brave!

this proposal isn’t by a neighborhood, it’s in the neighborhood.  And its not low income, it’s no income.   I grew up low income near nice neighborhoods, this project is something wildly different.  

You’re nowhere near s brave as you think you are.