Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Notes from E.J.'s final Periscope:

- This will be EJ's last chat as a Texas reporter (he's parked outside a Kroger). Doing one last chat to say thanks to everyone. Been a very lengthy, strenuous process for him and he's glad it's coming to a close. Will miss covering Texas and his Horns247 colleagues. Calls it 'bittersweet' but exciting. Was time for him to explore new opportunities. Can't yet reveal what he's doing, but it's something that 'caught his attention'.

- Over the last few months E.J. felt he hadn't been putting in 120% and realized like he didn't love covering Texas football anymore. It 'wasn't for him'. Roach will do a terrific job in his stead while he "takes the next step." Enjoyed the experience. Still employed until Sunday.

- Still very passionate about what he does. He'll still be very involved in reporting/recruiting in his new job moving forward, and he's staying in the recruiting industry. Won't be part of 247. Notes that USC247 nearly hired him away from Horns247 a couple of years ago.

- He's not covering A&M, although he talked to someone about doing so. Says it takes a very 'special' type of person to cover A&M recruiting. He recently sold his Manziel football jersey for $20. He'll miss arguing with Aggie fans in his mentions. Will still be staying in Texas until the end of the year, his new place will definitely suit him.

- Not really interested in reading sports outside of recruiting. Obviously not partnering with Hamm, that was a joke. But he wants to get a picture with him and tell him goodbye.

- Favourite UT recruit of all time was Anthony Cook. EJ related to Cook, and he reminded him of himself. Had a certain 'swagger' but was also very intelligent. They got along very well.

- Favourite recruitment to follow was actually Jordan Elliott. Was in his first year, and EJ ran into a lot of angry Michigan fans who swore he wasn't going to flip. Got Elliott's mom to admit that he was right all along after the flip.

- Not covering blOU. EJ doesn't troll blOU at all, has a lot of respect for their program. Owns a Malcolm Kelly jersey.

- EJ's cat has never been on a plane before, he's concerned about the trip.

Sounds like he's tired of the market not necessarily the industry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Notes from E.J.'s final Periscope:

- This will be EJ's last chat as a Texas reporter (he's parked outside a Kroger). Doing one last chat to say thanks to everyone. Been a very lengthy, strenuous process for him and he's glad it's coming to a close. Will miss covering Texas and his Horns247 colleagues. Calls it 'bittersweet' but exciting. Was time for him to explore new opportunities. Can't yet reveal what he's doing, but it's something that 'caught his attention'. 

How do you feel about this?? Bittersweet? Relieved? Directionless?

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-23rd/

Bryson Washington | The Latest | Decision Date
– Super K

The Longhorns are still looking for their first defensive commit in this class and 2020 DB, Bryson Washington out of Houston (CE King) remains a top priority.

As I’ve previously noted, Texas has always appeared to be the team to beat. Washington grew up a Texas fan and has visited the Longhorns on multiple occasions.

But for the Spring Game weekend, Washington took an official visit to Norman. It was his first visit to OU. Grinch and the staff clearly impressed.

Following that visit, he promptly released a top two of Oklahoma and Texas.

It appeared as though he may make a quick decision but I spoke with Bryson and he tells me that he has set his announcement date to July 4th.

While he tells me he does not have current leader between the two, my read is that the Sooners have pulled ahead.

However, Washington says he will take his official visit to Texas on June 21st. So, the Longhorns will have a chance to shift this one back in their favor.

Both programs have prioritized the big safety. And both Grinch for OU and Navier from Texas are excellent recruiters.

This is going to be a good battle.

Jahquez Robinson | Strong Texas Interest
– Super K

A couple weeks ago it looked like 2020 Alabama DB commit, Jahquez Robinson (Jacksonville, FL) may take an official visit to Texas for the Spring Game.

That didn’t happen, but that doesn’t mean Texas isn’t a contender in this recruitment.

Just before Easter, I spoke to Robinson at length about his recruitment and he told me that Texas will get an official visit. He also noted that coach Jason Washington should be out to see him early this week.

I’ll go through my notes and post a full update on where Robinson’s recruitment stands and why Texas is a real player in his recruitment.

I will note that one of things Robinson is looking for is a brand name and alumni base that will help him after football. Having been around Robinson, personally, he’s a very sharp young man.

Robinson really likes the fact that Texas has a strong combination of both football and the academic and alumni prestige.

He has yet to visit the Longhorns but tells me they are sitting at number three in his top list.

Again, more on this with quotes, soon…

Nahlin on Broughton

Cy Ridge's Vernon Broughton visited Texas A&M yesterday, again raising fears over the Aggies landing the priority defensive lineman.

Much has been made about the Aggie pitch of playing defensive end, and Jimbo Fisher has wisely put defensive end coach Terry Price on the recruitment rather than the d-tackle coach.

Per Brian Perroni at 247 they're comparing Broughton to Kingsley Keke. Um, okay...

Keke was an obvious "d-lineman" coming out of high school, meaning he was going to play both defensive end and defensive tackle. He had good size and a bounce in his step, but he wasn't the prospect Broughton is and he wasn't a defensive end in the arc-running sense.

Here's what The Athletic's Dane Brugler recently wrote of Keke: A three-year starter at Texas A&M, Keke started at nose guard as a sophomore and junior before losing 20 pounds prior to his senior season and moving outside to defensive end under new defensive coordinator Mike Elko. He was listed as an end on the depth chart, but he also played substantial snaps on the interior in 2018 as the Aggies took advantage of his versatility. Keke is an active athlete and moves well on his feet to slip blocks and chase in pursuit. He flashes upper body strength, but plays too high and is too easily slowed by road blocks, lacking pass rush tempo or core strength to consistently work through contact. Overall, Keke’s inconsistent contact balance and marginal anchor strength will limit his NFL ceiling, but his foot quickness, nonstop effort and position flex are appealing traits. 

Do you see anything that offers A&M a differentiator? Broughton would play 4i at Texas, though over time he'd likely slide down situationally, eventually being drafted in part because of this versatility. The same as Keke and the same as Justin Madubuike this next season for the Ags.

The Aggie sell/negative pitch of Texas is as easy to overcome as the Aggies telling wide receivers UT doesn't throw the ball around. These are odd stones to cast.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin on Broughton

Hide contents

Cy Ridge's Vernon Broughton visited Texas A&M yesterday, again raising fears over the Aggies landing the priority defensive lineman.

Much has been made about the Aggie pitch of playing defensive end, and Jimbo Fisher has wisely put defensive end coach Terry Price on the recruitment rather than the d-tackle coach.

Per Brian Perroni at 247 they're comparing Broughton to Kingsley Keke. Um, okay...

Keke was an obvious "d-lineman" coming out of high school, meaning he was going to play both defensive end and defensive tackle. He had good size and a bounce in his step, but he wasn't the prospect Broughton is and he wasn't a defensive end in the arc-running sense.

Here's what The Athletic's Dane Brugler recently wrote of Keke: A three-year starter at Texas A&M, Keke started at nose guard as a sophomore and junior before losing 20 pounds prior to his senior season and moving outside to defensive end under new defensive coordinator Mike Elko. He was listed as an end on the depth chart, but he also played substantial snaps on the interior in 2018 as the Aggies took advantage of his versatility. Keke is an active athlete and moves well on his feet to slip blocks and chase in pursuit. He flashes upper body strength, but plays too high and is too easily slowed by road blocks, lacking pass rush tempo or core strength to consistently work through contact. Overall, Keke’s inconsistent contact balance and marginal anchor strength will limit his NFL ceiling, but his foot quickness, nonstop effort and position flex are appealing traits. 

Do you see anything that offers A&M a differentiator? Broughton would play 4i at Texas, though over time he'd likely slide down situationally, eventually being drafted in part because of this versatility. The same as Keke and the same as Justin Madubuike this next season for the Ags.

The Aggie sell/negative pitch of Texas is as easy to overcome as the Aggies telling wide receivers UT doesn't throw the ball around. These are odd stones to cast.

Think it's obvious the delivery of the sales pitch is what makes the difference, that's recruiting. Jimbo and his mob have been successful selling the past two years. 

After Demas and Jones, curious to see how much budget remains for this cycle. Guessing the Woodward news got some additional cash in that pot.

Edited by Goodman

Just point out their obvious lies which are in abundance.  Is there anything aggys won't lie about?

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Just point out their obvious lies which are in abundance.  Is there anything aggys won't lie about?

Yes, dude, we know they are fucking liars and it is embedded in their DNA. You make about half a dozen to a dozen posts a day pointing out that they are pathological liars on various threads on various different boards here. We can feel your exasperation through the computer monitor. One some level, albeit a much lower level, we all share it. But I don't know if you've noticed, but pointing out their pathological lying nature has done shit over the last 20, 40, 60 years and will continue to not be the silver bullet you desperately want it to be. For them, well, that's just not how cognitive dissonance works. In regards to 16-17 year old kids, well, they're 16 and 17 year old kids. You want to sit them down and give them a 45 minute lecture about how often they lie and about everything? You'll end up looking like the weirdo.

As for the negative pitch that Nahlin says is easy to overcome, well, guess what, I have yet to see us consistently overcome it.  And that is a concerning problem. Because we should have put that shit to bed months ago, if not last recruiting season, with film, facts, statistics, and lets not forget logic and reason. So the fact that it continues to pop up tells us that: We're not aware of what's going on, 2) we aren't addressing it, 3) we're addressing it but doing a piss poor job of it, of 4) some mix of all of the above. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, dude, we know they are fucking liars and it is embedded in their DNA. You make about half a dozen to a dozen posts a day pointing out that they are pathological liars on various threads on various different boards here. We can feel your exasperation through the computer monitor. One some level, albeit a much lower level, we all share it. But I don't know if you've noticed, but pointing out their pathological lying nature has done shit over the last 20, 40, 60 years and will continue to not be the silver bullet you desperately want it to be. For them, well, that's just not how cognitive dissonance works. In regards to 16-17 year old kids, well, they're 16 and 17 year old kids. You want to sit them down and give them a 45 minute lecture about how often they lie and about everything? You'll end up looking like the weirdo.

As for the negative pitch that Nahlin says is easy to overcome, well, guess what, I have yet to see us consistently overcome it.  And that is a concerning problem. Because we should have put that shit to bed months ago, if not last recruiting season, with film, facts, statistics, and lets not forget logic and reason. So the fact that it continues to pop up tells us that: We're not aware of what's going on, 2) we aren't addressing it, 3) we're addressing it but doing a piss poor job of it, of 4) some mix of all of the above. 

Could've saved a lot of words with: 1) Giles

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You said it yourself in your post, they’re kids.  

If you sit down and lecture a kid about how someone else you've taken a shine to is a bad news, they're inclined to ignore you. But obviously some teaching point aTm is using to shit all over our use of the 4i seems to be sticking. I have to assume if they can do that, we can effectively counter, kid or no kid. I was attempting to illustrate that taking the Fat Patty approach of "Listen, aTm is an entire culture of liars. It's in their DNA. They're bad people and they hate African Americans" probably isn't an effective pitch. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin on Broughton

Hide contents

Aggies never lie, cheat, or steal. Except when they do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

"I've met a lot of dishonest, cheating West Pointers. If I want the truth, I ask a Texas Aggie" - General George Patton

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, we may require our linemen to eat up blocks, but if we get more of the best like you are, we'll use four and wreak havoc.

May I ask have you ever seen a cool aggy? And hey, did you know aggy has guy cheerleaders? In fact, that whole school really likes dudes and I mean in an unhealthy way. NTTAWWT.

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Even though spring football is behind us, I'm told behind the scenes that the Texas personnel staff is still looking to bolster next year's roster and they are intent on succeeding. It's a no-stone-unturned approach and it's a route that paid dividends last year. For example, while everybody knew the Horns were recruiting grad transfer offensive tackle Calvin Anderson from Rice a year ago, the Horns somewhat quietly added running back Tre Watson last off-season, too.

Watson's addition didn't get the attention or fanfare of Anderson's, probably because left tackle was such a gaping hole for the Horns. But Watson was a key figure in the Horns' 10-win season nonetheless. He provided the offense with both toughness and much-needed experience to complement true freshman Keaontay Ingram and true sophomore Daniel Young who didn't perhaps blossom as well as expected last season.

So what positions are the Horns' staff looking at? Obviously, linebacker is the one most talked about. The Horns need either a) a more experienced middle linebacker or b) for 2018 signee Ayodele Adeoye to step forward and own the position. Adeoye made some steps this spring, but he's clearly not all the way there. It's the job of the Texas personnel staff not to leave such a thing to chance.

But it's not only at linebacker where Texas might pursue a grad transfer. There are several spots where Texas could still use better personnel that ultimately might be available via the transfer portal. Examples: Perhaps a more experienced back-up QB to compete with Casey Thompson for at least a year. Or maybe a more experienced block-first tight end/h-back. It's all conjecture until the personnel staff actually identifies and brings grad transfers as recruits onto campus.

Yet it's important to note that it is a tactic that is being considered and pursued. And, I think that is one of the biggest assets of the program as a whole - the personnel staff has shown a willingness to do whatever it takes to acquire talent to win now, and not just focus on winning later. If Texas can somehow add contributors as good as Anderson and Watson this off-season on top of all of the burgeoning underclassmen who are still getting better, it's going to make Texas a tougher team come fall.

Mike Roach's report last night on John Tyler athlete Kitan Crawford made me think about deep East Texas (not including the Golden Triangle) recruiting for the Horns. Texas simply hasn't done much in the region in the last couple of years. But it's not just a Longhorn issue. No other major conference power has really "owned" the region either. In the last couple of years, the Horns have signed Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown from the area. If you want to include Huntsville, which is becoming more and more a far-away suburb of Houston, then T'Vondre Sweat could be added.

But that's it. Facts are, the sheer volume of players in Houston and DFW, and even San Antonio and Central Texas, are just dwarfing the number of players in East Texas these days. But that doesn't mean the quality of players is down in East Texas. So when a true standout like Crawford makes his way into the public eye, he's done so against the usual stiff East Texas competition. East Texas may not be what it used to be in terms of prospects. But it's still where Earl Campbell and Billy Sims, and countless other elite football players called home.

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Even though spring football is behind us, I'm told behind the scenes that the Texas personnel staff is still looking to bolster next year's roster and they are intent on succeeding.

Whew, I thought the staff was intending to miss on every grad transfer they aimed for. Thank god Bobby is here to set us straight.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Whew, I thought the staff was intending to miss on every grad transfer they aimed for. Thank god Bobby is here to set us straight.

I think we have like 5 spots available. Need 1-2 LBs, and a RB. No QB worth a shit is coming to Texas as Bobby suggests.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Evans is planning to visit the weekend of May 4. Obviously he needs transport so the situation is fluid, yada yada, but supposedly he's getting a ride from one on the North Shore coaches.

Time for our old pal Coach Reagins to come through.