Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

It's highlight reel and the competition probably isn't the greatest, but I thought his effort level was really impressive. He played like a madman in every clip.  

Honestly, I'd like to see some clips of what he's doing on plays that went badly for his defense -- if his motor is still running at this clip even when the play goes away from him, then he's a legit badass. On the other hand, Daylon Mack had some pretty damned impressive highlight clips, and his lack of motor throughout the course of a game is the thing that stands out to me the most about his college career. Well, that and his offsides penalties.

Winfrey definitely piques interest, though. He runs a hell of a lot more than most DTs these days are willing to do.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:35 PM, futureman said:

didn’t get scored on?  like all year?  I thought daingerfield ‘83 set that record by giving up 8 points all season. 

Regular season

Winona 43-0

Sabine 54-0

Union Grove 66-0

Hawkins 55-7

Como-Pickton 63-0

Union Hill 60-0

Harmony 73-0

Leverett's Chapel 62-0

Mount Enterprise 71-0

Carlisle 91-0

State playoffs 

Mildred 65-6

Axtell 55-0

Moody 38-0

Groom 28-2

Totals 824-15

6 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I keep forgetting big ass Willie Tyler is in this class. Will he be ready to play this year or does he have to redshirt? Cause if we can save Braun for next year (center, maybe?) that would kinda be awesome.

In no universe is Braun redshirting. 

Edited by Irieguy

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Honestly, I'd like to see some clips of what he's doing on plays that went badly for his defense -- if his motor is still running at this clip even when the play goes away from him, then he's a legit badass. On the other hand, Daylon Mack had some pretty damned impressive highlight clips, and his lack of motor throughout the course of a game is the thing that stands out to me the most about his college career. Well, that and his offsides penalties.

Winfrey definitely piques interest, though. He runs a hell of a lot more than most DTs these days are willing to do.

Might be hard for this JUCO, but the best “tape” you can get on a guy is a teammate or opposing player’s highlights, so you can see what a prospect’s like on a more regular basis.

I think that’s especially helpful for OL, becuase it’s more important to see if they’re consistently solid as opposed to pancaking some guys 5 times each game. 

8 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I keep forgetting big ass Willie Tyler is in this class. Will he be ready to play this year or does he have to redshirt? Cause if we can save Braun for next year (center, maybe?) that would kinda be awesome.

I'd treat exactly like a true freshman. He's big and he can move, but needs a lot of work. I wish he was an early enrolle, but oh well. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Regular season

Winona 43-0

Sabine 54-0

Union Grove 66-0

Hawkins 55-7

Como-Pickton 63-0

Union Hill 60-0

Harmony 73-0

Leverett's Chapel 62-0

Mount Enterprise 71-0

Carlisle 91-0

State playoffs 

Mildred 65-6

Axtell 55-0

Moody 38-0

Groom 28-2

Totals 824-15

Yeah, but Winona had a big brown beaver.

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Who is the 30 year old dude next to him?

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d96

no katfid

Edited by SaucyJack

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

doggystyle on your mother

6 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Lots of tested depth there though.

reported both of these.  not only is rude, sexist, and degrading, it’s off topic.  let’s keep it focused on recruiting please.  

Oh and to follow up on what I said yesterday about watching an opposing player's hudl to really learn about a prospect, go to 0:58 in Chris Thompson's hudl to see Dameion George really giving it all he has to help his RB get to the sideline.

George must be a hell of a friend because I have no fucking clue why Evans would want more of that kind of blocking for the next four years. 

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oh and to follow up on what I said yesterday about watching an opposing player's hudl to really learn about a prospect, go to 0:58 in Chris Thompson's hudl to see Dameion George really giving it all he has to help his RB get to the sideline.

George must be a hell of a friend because I have no fucking clue why Evans would want more of that kind of blocking for the next four years. 

maybe they're a package deal right up until George's LOI has been received by his school of choice. Then Evans is free to do what he wants

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hope a late riser comes along the OL or we get Lindberg and call it quits.  May not matter anyway because I don't think George is coming here.  I wish we had gone after Nate Anderson.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I watched Chris Thompson's hudl yesterday and what stands out the most is that he's just a great all-around football player. 

Assuming he goes to the good guys, his position in Orlando's scheme will be an interesting question.  Some people have said he could maybe get up to 220-225 and play Rover. I'm not sure he has the frame for that, but it's hard to say without seeing him in person. He's pretty well-developed already and plays at around 200. If he can get to 225, he'd make a great Rover.

As for our safety spots, I think Field is the only spot where he wouldn't be a great fit. He could absolutely play Boundary and Joker, but I think his best fit may actually be Nickel. We're almost three years into Orlando's defense and it' still hard to figure out exactly what Orlando's ideal Nickel looks like (Lord knows @Katfid54 doesn't have a clue), but it does seem to me like he prioritizes a Nickel who can hold up in the run game over a guy who can man up the slot WR.  Thompson is extremely good in the run game. He can take on a pulling OL or H-back, and he's an extremely good tackler.

giphy.gif

The trait that stands out most though is his route recognition. He reminds me a bit of Caden Sterns in that he's usually breaking on the ball before it's left the QB's hand. The difference being that Thompson is diagnosing the underneath stuff while most of Sterns' plays like that were on routes downfield. Thompson especially excels at diagnosing and blowing up bubble screens, which is a huge part of playing Nickel in the big 12. 

SinfulForthrightAxolotl.webp

giphy.gif

More than anything, we just need to get him because he could be successful at quite a few positions, but once he arrives on campus, it's gonna be fun to see where he ends up playing.

I've got to say, you're not a bad looking guy (very well-groomed). You're nothing like your avatar.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of fucking shit that I hate about most football fans. I don’t care how much you don’t like someone, it’s not okay to conjure this kind of evil for the rest of us to witness in a public forum. Fuck you and your big dumb animal mindset. 

I'm with closetojumping on this one.  Chip's mom died of cancer.  I think we can leave her out of the vile we spew at Chip.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Based on your posting history and penchant for drinking before 9 am, I always kind of assumed that you were Chip Brown. 

What if NorLa Horns is Chip Brown, and the whole point of his post was to try to engender sympathy?

tenor.gif?itemid=11799934

• Haha 1