Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night: Analyzing the 2020 in-state quarterback class

With the dead period underway and coaches on vacation, I've decided to go to work and build my personal rankings for the state of Texas. Over the next few days, I'll use Mike at Night to walk you through my thoughts on players at each position. Tonight, we focus on quarterbacks and specifically look at the battle for supremacy between Hudson Card and Haynes King.

—The obvious interest in this piece will be comparing the top two passers in the state. Hudson Card and Haynes King have been debated heavily on the internet on the internet for the past few months. I think we should start off by saying that both players look to be very good prospects, and one shouldn’t take away from the other.

—Let’s start with Card. I think the perception is that Card is an athlete moving from wide receiver to quarterback over the last year. In reality, Card has been a quarterback for most of his life, and he’s one of the more polished passers in the country. I mentioned last week that an Elite 11 coach I spoke with called Card the best pure passer in attendance. Card plays to his strengths very well. He has a quick release, he throws on-time and accurate passes, and he shows enough velocity to make some of the difficult throws quarterbacks are required to make. He throws on the move incredibly well, and he also throws a very catchable ball. When you combine what he can do with legs in the read option game, you have a quarterback built to be a dangerous weapon in the Big 12.

—If I had to pinpoint the deficiencies in Card’s game, I’d have to say it starts with his tendency to hold onto the ball way too long. I saw it several times last season, and it plagued him a few times during The Opening Finals. There’s a fine line with quarterbacks when it comes to tuning aggression properly. You don’t want them to be too reckless with the ball, but there are times when they have to take chances. I think Card leans more to the cautious side and it can sometimes lead to sacks. Card will need to learn when to leave the pocket in situations like that and pick up some yardage with his feet rather than waiting for that perfect window to open.

—While Card has always been known as the athlete, the misconception on King is that he’s already polished. In fact, I’d say that Haynes still has the most room for growth as a passer. He has the build, the athleticism, and the arm strength to be one of the best passers in the country, and he showed some of that during The Opening Finals. Haynes times faster in the 40, but he seems much more comfortable operating in a straight drop back pro-style offense. King moves well inside the pocket, and he throws with good timing and accuracy. King also seems to have that “It” factor where he turns it up in crunch time situations. When you blend his natural tools with that ability to respond, you can see why so many evaluators are excited about his development. His release is a bit long, and his ball tends to wobble a bit more than others, but I see King as a guy with huge potential.

—So, the question is how do I stack them up? Overall rankings are tough because they don’t account for fit and program development when comparing individual players. As a result, I’d probably rank King slightly ahead of Card in terms of future projection. Without completing my overall rankings, I can see both of them being top 10. Texas is probably the best fit for Card’s overall skill, so that would bump him a bit in my eyes.

—Ja'Quinden Jackson will get his shot at quarterback, but I’m going to evaluate him as an athlete in my personal rankings.

—If I were ranking athletes, Malik Hornsby is one of the most dynamic players I’ve seen at the high school level. As a quarterback, I think he has a lot of work to do to become a true dual-threat. I’m interested to see senior film on Hornsby, because I know he’s been working in the offseason.

—Vanderbilt commit Ken Seals is likely to become a pretty solid quarterback for the Commodores. I’ve never seen anything truly elite out of him, but he’s been very good in a lot of areas in settings I’ve seen him in. He doesn’t have the mobile component to his game, but he should be a good get for Vandy.

—Arkansas commit Chandler Morris has the scrappy, gritty playmaking ability you often see from smaller quarterbacks who operate at the highest levels. He’s extremely accurate with the ball, and that’s one of the most important traits a quarterback can have. He’s probably a little underrated at this point as we often value big physical traits, but there is a legit question of if he will be able to hold up in the SEC West at his size.

—When we talk about fit, I think that Iowa identified and landed a great fit in Grapevine Faith Christian’s Deuce Hogan. Hogan is fairly immobile, but he has a huge arm and plays smart. He struggled in the one game I saw him play against a loaded Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill defense, but he’s been good in just about every other setting I’ve seen him in.

—Austin Regents quarterback Wilson Long is the most intriguing guy in the state to me. I thought he was a great fit for Tech under Kliff Kingsbury where he was previously committed, and I’m interested to see where he ends up. He’s on the smaller side, but he really spun it well when I saw him throw during the spring. Kingsbury is adept at finding quarterback talent, and he identified Long very early.

55 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Good lord now that is a meltdown. Can you imagine if this place had hands-on mods? It'd be carnage.

You limp noodled, cock sucking little troglodytes. I am the reaper of your online souls. I will pull the plug on this whole fucking place! I have done it once and I will do it again if a single one of you slack jawed glory hole vacuums spews one more fucking thing about this site or its reporting. Oh, do you feel that? It’s my finger on the switch. All of your silly little rep points are mine to toy with. The years you have sunk into this board can be wiped away faster than Ketchum can wipe his ass with a towel taped broom handle. You think I have anything to lose? Tomorrow you may log in and I will have turned this whole fucking place into an online scrapbooking site if I please. Quote the raven motherfuckers.

-immamac probably

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Vertigo said:

You limp noodled, cock sucking little troglodytes. I am the reaper of your online souls. I will pull the plug on this whole fucking place! I have done it once and I will do it again if a single one of you slack jawed glory hole vacuums spews one more fucking thing about this site or its reporting. Oh, do you feel that? It’s my finger on the switch. All of your silly little rep points are mine to toy with. The years you have sunk into this board can be wiped away faster than Ketchum can wipe his ass with a towel taped broom handle. You think I have anything to lose? Tomorrow you may log in and I will have turned this whole fucking place into an online scrapbooking site if I please. Quote the raven motherfuckers.

-immamac probably

Did you just train an AI on ctj's posting history?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Based on the last few weeks, it'll be Preston Stone and a third of the board will melt down over a top-100 QB committing to Texas.

I highly doubt he’s in the top 100 quarterbacks in the 2021 class.  maybe tapps quarterbacks.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Did you just train an AI on ctj's posting history?

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Not gonna lie, ctj was my muse for this post.

The first sentence would work, but after that I don't see it. ctj kind of loathes the rep system, moderators and 9.95ers.

He would say something more along the lines of: You limp noodled, cock sucking little troglodytes have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Keep that shit on the pay site, go suck lotushorn's dick or go to the football board and spew your nonsense there.

It is almost like creating the perfect country song. You need mama / Or trains / Or trucks / Or prison / Or getting' drunk", but in this case you need Giles or Meh or Greg Davis. Shit, my CTJ post needs a new verse. 

Edited by Bevo

Gabe Brooks: Texas surges on 247Sports Crystal Ball for four-star pass-rusher Prince Dorbah

Texas has surged on the 247Sports Crystal Ball leading up to an expected Tuesday decision for 2020 four-star outside linebacker Prince Dorbah from Highland Park High School in Dallas. Texas and LSU have been considered the top contenders for the 6-foot-2 1/2, 208-pound Dorbah, who has produced 58 tackles for loss and 30 sacks during the past two seasons for a three-peat Texas Class 5A Division I state championship team. But the Longhorns have separated from the competition on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, which now sits at 100 percent for the Longhorns with all eight forecasts to date in Texas' favor. Dorbah took an official visit the weekend of June 14 to Texas.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dorbah as a four-star recruit who is ranked No. 111 overall in the 2020 class, No. 7 nationally among 2020 outside linebackers, and No. 17 overall in the state of Texas for his class. The Top247 rankings put Dorbah at No. 108 overall in the country's 2020 cycle, No. 9 among 2020 outside linebackers, and No. 14 overall in the Lone Star State.

As a junior in 2018, Dorbah recorded an impressive state line of 92 tackles, 36 tackles for loss, and 20 sacks for Highland Park's 5A D-I state title team. That came after his 10-sack breakout season as a sophomore in 2017.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

You limp noodled, cock sucking little troglodytes. I am the reaper of your online souls. I will pull the plug on this whole fucking place! I have done it once and I will do it again if a single one of you slack jawed glory hole vacuums spews one more fucking thing about this site or its reporting. Oh, do you feel that? It’s my finger on the switch. All of your silly little rep points are mine to toy with. The years you have sunk into this board can be wiped away faster than Ketchum can wipe his ass with a towel taped broom handle. You think I have anything to lose? Tomorrow you may log in and I will have turned this whole fucking place into an online scrapbooking scat site if I please. Quote the raven motherfuckers.

-immamac probably

fim

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

Think you are serious so let me be the first to tell you that Clemson pays, they pay big. That Dabo you see on TV, the one that will baptize you in his office and you might confuse for Hugh Freeze cheats like him too.

No clue if they pay or not.  My only point is until the last year or so their recruiting rankings haven't been on the same level as Bama/UGA.  They're somewhere around the top 10 every year and have been for the last decade, but haven't regularly camped out in the top 3 spots.  BL:  You don't have to have a top 3 class every single year to be in the CFP and win NCs.  It's not some automatic relegation to 2nd tier status.  The UGA game last year is case in point.

Edited by Stampeder
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You know things are bad when the Mods start lashing out at paying customers. 

They also have Scipio throwing out random Koolaid fluff pieces in an attempt to calm things down. I think they would love an unexpected commitment as much as our coaches would.

16 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

No clue if they pay or not.  My only point is until the last year or so their recruiting rankings haven't been on the same level as Bama/UGA.  They're somewhere around the top 10 every year and have been for the last decade, but haven't regularly camped out in the top 3 spots.  BL:  You don't have to have a top 3 class every single year to be in the CFP and win NCs.  It's not some automatic relegation to 2nd tier status.  The UGA game last year is case in point.

Coming off back to back top 5 finishes, I agree that we don't have to have the number one overall ranking. Hoping we can get atleast a top 10 class that includes a solid RB and some projects along the DL to go with Collins

Mike Roach: Four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers updates recruitment

Jahari Rogers soaked up everything he could from The Opening Finals. The four-star cornerback from Arlington dreamed about competing in the event when he was younger, but he used the week to gain knowledge from the coaches and college defensive backs in attendance. “It’s been cool,” he said. “It’s been my dream since I was a little kid. It’s a great experience picking all of these dude’s brains. They are really helping me out to develop me into a DB, and I’m so appreciative. The experience has been second to none.”

The recruiting process can become stressful for most athletes, but Rogers said he knows it comes with the territory. He’s not letting anything get to him right now. “It’s been good,” he said. “You can say it gets stressful at times, but that comes with it. I’ve been doing it for a minute now, so I’m used to it.”

Rogers recently took an official visit to Austin in late June, and he’s getting close to a decision. He said that his official visit was more about hearing how life is from the players on campus. “I’ve been up to Texas three times,” he said. “It wasn’t really about the coaches to me, but it was about what the players had to say. That’s what you really want to know. They have to live it, so I was able to pick their brains about certain coaches and certain parts of the program. I got a lot of great answers and so did my parents. It was a good experience.”

Rogers was originally going to announce his decision on July 4th, but he decided to push it back. “I was going to do it on the 4th,” he said. “I’m going to probably do it at the end of this month. I’ve got to talk to my mom and my dad to make sure they’re straight. At the end of the day, I’m going there to be great, but I’ve got to get my degree too.” At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Rogers is ranked as the No. 10 cornerback in the nation and No. 27 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Based on the last few weeks, it'll be Preston Stone and a third of the board will melt down over a top-100 QB committing to Texas.

I think you guys are wearing out the concept of a meltdown. Honestly, this board has actually held itself together pretty well compared to alternative UT joints. That fucking screenshot that sarvanaash posted is sadly hilarious. 

Also, and I feel like I am taking crazy pills, but I cannot get down on things with recruiting the way so many on here and elsewhere are. Whatever Herman’s flaws, and I’ve whined about many, I don’t think he fails on strategery. In leading orgs, even really sharp motherfuckers make mistakes. The special ones make adjustments once the terrain fails to match the map, and then they get back to winning. I think this is going to be an interesting test to witness, if nothing else.

My view is that momentum swings back soon now that vacation is over, but fuck, maybe I’m being a pollyanna for the first time since posting the thread on Hornfans titled “Is Greg Davis Sandbagging the Offense?” ahead of the OU shutout in 2004. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Playing time getting easier at Florida....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27147734/gators-cb-edwards-announces-intent-transfer 

"Florida returns top cornerbacks CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson but now has lost two players projected for the rotation in Edwards and incoming freshman Chris Steele."

full corner breakdown: https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2020-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

• Jr: 2 4*, 1 3*
  • So: 4* Trey Dean (remember him?)
  • Fr: 2 4*, 1 3*

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, and I feel like I am taking crazy pills, but I cannot get down on things with recruiting the way so many on here and elsewhere are. Whatever Herman’s flaws, and I’ve whined about many, I don’t think he fails on strategery. In leading orgs, even really sharp motherfuckers make mistakes. The special ones make adjustments once the terrain fails to match the map, and then they get back to winning. I think this is going to be an interesting test to witness, if nothing else.

My view is that momentum swings back soon now that vacation is over, but fuck, maybe I’m being a pollyanna for the first time since posting the thread on Hornfans titled “Is Greg Davis Sandbagging the Offense?” ahead of the OU shutout in 2004. 

We’re all getting laid!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you guys are wearing out the concept of a meltdown. Honestly, this board has actually held itself together pretty well compared to alternative UT joints. That fucking screenshot that sarvanaash posted is sadly hilarious. 

No shit.  I haven't seen any (credible) death threats over here yet.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Have you missed the last 453 pages on this thread?  Are you blind and arrogant?