Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, RomaVicta said:

The Aggies are pretty slick when it comes this. They actually talk about conferences that put players into the league. Why would anybody go to the BDF when the SEC puts way more guys in the league?

They like to focus on getting guys in the league and that being recruits main concern because it's big SEC selling point that they can vamp off of.

it's not just aggy selling this..arkansas and mizzu sell the same message..

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

The Aggies are pretty slick when it comes this. They actually talk about conferences that put players into the league. Why would anybody go to the BDF when the SEC puts way more guys in the league?

They like to focus on getting guys in the league and that being recruits main concern because it's big SEC selling point that they can vamp off of.

Wide's sister and husband went to ATM.  When I want to get her husband spun up, which is every single time I can, his come back every time to start things off is"  A&M is the only Texas school in the SEC"

It's like a tick with them.  They get triggered and spit this out like a parrot on a stick.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Does IMG still have a team?  I haven't heard anything about their players this recruiting cycle.  I guess THSCA did a good job keeping players local?

yeah, they just had pretty huge years in 17 and 19

• 2017: had the #2 and 3 guys in FL (#10 and 13 overall), 5 guys in the top 10, 9 in the top 30, 11 guys in the top 50
  • 2018: had the #1 guy in FL (#3 overall), 2 guys in the top 10, 7 in the top 30, 9 guys in the top 50
  • 2019: last year IMG got a ton of pub because they had the top 3 in state (including the national 1,6 and 7 guys + cain at #13 in FLA and 98 overall and another guy in the top 25 - overall they had 3 in the top 5, 3 in the top 10, 4 in the top 15 and 7 in the top 30, 10 in the top 50
  • 2020: had the #1 guy in FL (#15 overall), 3 guys in the top 10 (#15, 30 and 42 overall), 3 in the top 30, 5 guys in the top 50
  • 2021: currently have the #17 and 18 guys in Fla, so 0 in the top 10, 2 in the top 30, 5 in the top 50 --> obv this is going to change

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Do you even remember that we thought RG3 was at best a take at defensive back? Briles built his entire program around that guy. Not to me to mention we thought Corey Coleman was too “stiff” or whatever retard evaluation term we used to justify not recruiting him. Spencer Drango a freaking local kid just to name a few off the top of my head. 

Briles built a program on players that could have easily been Longhorns had we even tried to evaluate and recruit. Was that the sole reason? Of course not but it was a pretty big part of it. 

To be fair - they "might" have panned out.  My guess, Briles not only identified perfect players, but did a masterful job at developing them as well.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Do you even remember that we thought RG3 was at best a take at defensive back? Briles built his entire program around that guy. Not to me to mention we thought Corey Coleman was too “stiff” or whatever retard evaluation term we used to justify not recruiting him. Spencer Drango a freaking local kid just to name a few off the top of my head. 

Briles built a program on players that could have easily been Longhorns had we even tried to evaluate and recruit. Was that the sole reason? Of course not but it was a pretty big part of it. 

shocking, they hit on top 250 national guys and those guys made a difference, including at QB. who could ever have guessed!

You named literally 3 of the top 5 or 6 guys they recruited over a 5-6 year timeframe. go back and look at the actual classes they took and tell me the only reason they were good was because Texas couldn't identify talent. that just isn't the case at all. take 5 minutes and go look at those classes. 

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

To be fair - they "might" have panned out.  My guess, Briles not only identified perfect players, but did a masterful job at developing them as well.  

right? 

he had a system, he recruited players that fit that system, he developed those guys and then had success as a result. what a concept!

3 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Look, I don't mind y'all hating on Randy Moss, but could you at least use a less hateful word than "dumb"? It's offensive and hurtful. Maybe try like "silly head" or something.

Perhaps you should find a different forum other than something called Surly Horns.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You’re really discounting the beauty of Briles’ system. It asks players to do a very limited number of things: QB has no reads, doesn’t have to think much, WRs mainly only need straight line speed with a limited route tree, OL pretty much only run block. Baylor could take guys in their system that look like studs but may not have worked in more traditional offenses. Coleman was a total bust when asked to do normal WR things and Drango was cut on his rookie deal and can’t make a roster, Jason Smith was a huge bust, so was Bryce Petty. Baylor’s “talent” had a lot more to do with Briles’ scheme asking his players to do very limited actions. 

Hell, just look at our entire OL in 2016. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen. 

Yeah, that was pretty damn pathetic.  I sat through the entire 66-3 game against UCLA and froze my ass off during the 50-7 loss against Baylor half a lifetime ago.  Those were the shittiest for me because I was in attendance and stayed the entire time.

Yeah, that was pretty damn pathetic.  I sat through the entire 66-3 game against UCLA and froze my ass off during the 50-7 loss against Baylor half a lifetime ago.  Those were the shittiest for me because I was in attendance and stayed the entire time.

I still think that 50-7 game was the low point for our program. We were shitty, and had been shitty for awhile, and got absolutely crushed at home by Baylor.

Just now, Red Five said:

I still think that 50-7 game was the low point for our program. We were shitty, and had been shitty for awhile, and got absolutely crushed at home by Baylor.

Don't you guys have better things to do than relive our shitty days?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't understand all of the CB inspired optimism on Alford and QJ. I like that we appear to be leading, but thinking that their committments are a forgone conclusion is....bold. 

QJ and Alford will both commit tomorrow to Texas. Pull yourself together. 

58 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Kruliec guy says that the Smith kid and his family love tosu/Hartline, so he doesn't see a flip happening... which means...?

41 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

An Ohio State reporter catering to Ohio State kids is telling his subscriber base what they want to hear? Weird.

Something has changed in that situation. He was a total afterthought until about a week ago. Literally no one was mentioning him. But a few folks have reported there might be interest there. So he's indicated that, minimally, he's listening

The best way to think about JSN is that if he legitimately to show interest in Texas, they’d be all over him. He’s a take. 

• Like 6

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Counterpoint: CTJ was Fong’d 

Counter-Counter Point: People here also told you well in advance that CTJ was going to Auburn. I mentioned both things in my post.

NONE of the 9.95ers knew ANYTHING on that one, as was proven out. When that happens Fong is neutered. It just doesn't happen often. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Counter-Counter Point: People here also told you well in advance that CTJ was going to Auburn. I mentioned both things in my post.

NONE of the 9.95ers knew ANYTHING on that one, as was proven out. When that happens Fong is neutered. It just doesn't happen often. 

giphy.gif

58 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And in general it's pretty good motivation that Texas passed on you or recruited you for a different position as you commit to Aggie, Baylor, UH, TCU, etc. 

Counterpoint: CTJ was Fong’d 

Counterpoint: The video showed Thompson was the only one not excited about going to Aurburn.

abd43198741907b2c3b1ae0d28c69bff.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, deech said:

And in general it's pretty good motivation that Texas passed on you or recruited you for a different position as you commit to Aggie, Baylor, UH, TCU, etc. 

True, but this happens to hundreds of kids in Texas and tens of thousands nationwide that are passed over by the larger P5 schools.  Many develop.  Many more are simply limited by natural talent and ethic to perform at the next level.  

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

An Ohio State reporter catering to Ohio State kids is telling his subscriber base what they want to hear? Weird.

Something has changed in that situation. He was a total afterthought until about a week ago. Literally, no one was mentioning him. But a few folks have reported there might be interest there. So he's indicated that, minimally, he's listening

Yep.  All we know is something changed.  Sounds interesting.  Not promising but it's something.  

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Do you even remember that we thought RG3 was at best a take at defensive back?

That was Mack's lazy assessment because Griffin is a great athlete. I have known him for years and I wasn't sure he would pan out as a QB because he was a terrible passer as a HS freshman and sophomore, a decent passer as a junior, and pretty good but not great as a senior.

He would have been a terrible defensive player because he hates contact. In fact, I imagine he would have just run track if his only football offer was as a DB. Even when Briles was recruiting him initially, Griffin wasn't sure he wanted to play college football.

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The end of lazy recruiting and evaluation by Texas is the end of TCU and Baylor. Especially Baylor where their entire existence recently was based solely on our inability to identify players properly in state. 

Jalen Reagor should have lived in an orange house. 

I'm just glad he decommitted from ou and ended up at tcu instead. 

2 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

I'll see you and raise that shitstorm in Stillwater. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Don't you guys have better things to do than relive our shitty days?

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Three or four imminent commitments and posters out here crying into their breakfast beer.

War stories. Battle tested. Burnt orange blood.  You know, guys that change the world.  

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Yeah, they sold that loss like it was a super bowl win. And largely seemed to succeed.

Was he truly at aggy? I thought he just lived in the land of the lost.

Does anybody have the screen shot or list of guys Perroni/Wiltfong crystal balled coming off that Clemson list, obviously got Demas coming off the high but I’m pretty sure they largely struck out after that, Broughton, Collins, CTJ were all part of the run they put in picks on directly after the loss. 

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Something has changed in that situation. He was a total afterthought until about a week ago. Literally no one was mentioning him. But a few folks have reported there might be interest there. So he's indicated that, minimally, he's listening

From what I've seen, the 9.95s have mentioned that JS-N was the one who reached out to the Texas staff - not the other way around. Granted, take the sources for what they're worth. Nonetheless, I hope it's more than marshmallow fluff and smoke. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

right? 

he had a system, he recruited players that fit that system, he developed those guys and then had success as a result. what a concept!

When Stoops first got to OU, he inherited some talent to be sure, but he was largely having to settle for players in state that Texas and aggy didn't want.  Leach did pretty well with no-name recruits, so Leach's system, rather than sheer talent, played a big part for both schools' success.  Briles system is just more of the same.  

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

They had a lot more talent than some recent Texas teams. Especially the TCU team that went up 30-0 on us in like five seconds that one time in Ft Worth. 

I rmr that TCU team looked so much faster than us. And then Boyd tweeted something about transferring at halftime