Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

The Randy Moss drama bored me when it was happening. Thanks for dragging me into theater for another viewing.

Although I didn't post about it, I was caught up to some degree in the hysteria of the early summer. We're not getting anyone! So this isn't an I told you so. However, I did keep in mind that this staff has done well before.

Kudoi to Herman, Giles, Drayton and the boys for bringing in the seemingly lost Bijan, Broughten, Princely, and now (fingers crossed) Alford.

It's silly to have your ship filling with seawater and to keep praying, trust in Jimbo! It's less so to have the ship heading for an ice berg and believing Captain Herman will steer around it. If we have a good season, I think patience in the off-season will be easier to come by.

This is fun. The season will be more so. We may, indeed, be back my friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moderator said:

1.  First thing he did was beat the shit out of a racist who was messing with his friend.  Second was weed, not necessarily things that make you dumb at 18

Smoking weed after being kicked out of another school is definitely dumb. It’s blowing a second chance. Thanks for proving the point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The end of lazy recruiting and evaluation by Texas is the end of TCU and Baylor. Especially Baylor where their entire existence recently was based solely on our inability to identify players properly in state. 

Jalen Reagor should have lived in an orange house. 

This.  JR was a beast.

Briles may be a sonofabitch, but he can coach and identify players that perfectly fit his program (as fucking dirty as it may be).  Baylor and TCU enjoyed their brief "Mike Leach" moment where a good coach was able to pull them up out of the mud temporarily.  Problem is, it's not sustainable.  Baylor's back to being Baylor and Morris' is one cheeseburger from stroking out on the sideline.  They lose him and they are proper fucked.  They're not pulling a mid to top P5 coach from another school.  It has to be organic, which takes a considerable amount of time.

If both schools have the coaching staff they think they do, with 1,000+ high schools in the state, there is more than enough talent to field competitive teams.  They just a much smaller window to get their evaluations right.  They're not going to "out talent" the top schools anymore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Demas is great, and is probably the best prospect in the state. Too bad for him he's going to Jimbo's offense that sucks at highlighting talented receivers. Unless he ends up at IMG with a conveyer belt of bags from Georgia, Bama, and the Florida schools arriving to his dorm. 

This is what I've never been able to wrap my head around with Demas. As a HC, Fisher has had a total of 3 WRs put into the league, only one of which was a 1st rounder. His offense isn't designed for a kid like Demas. 

It's even more comical when I see Aggy making comments about who or what school doesn't put kids in the league.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't understand all of the CB inspired optimism on Alford and QJ. I like that we appear to be leading, but thinking that their committments are a forgone conclusion is....bold. 

Not really

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't understand all of the CB inspired optimism on Alford and QJ. I like that we appear to be leading, but thinking that their committments are a forgone conclusion is....bold. 

Down to within days of their commitments, the CB trends should do nothing BUT inspire optimism. That's usually how this thing works.

Alford though, he's a special case, IMO. I still have some hesitation there. His CBs literally turned on a dime, like it real time. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Alford though, he's a special case, IMO. I still have some hesitation there. His CBs literally turned on a dime, like it real time. 

This is exactly what makes me nervous. That and QJ being a non-traditional, out of the spotlight 4*. None of the 995ers have said "QJ told me (something positive)". It's been all cryptic and I wouldn't be shocked if either chose elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

This is what I've never been able to wrap my head around with Demas. As a HC, Fisher has had a total of 3 WRs put into the league, only one of which was a 1st rounder. His offense isn't designed for a kid like Demas. 

My only guess is he's selling him on limited footage of how he used Kendrick Rogers (when healthy), specifically the Clemson & OT vs. LSU games.  Putting him in space and letting him compete for passes.  

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Why would any rational human with choices go to aggy? Answer-- no human is completely rational, and motivated bumpkins hard-sell people in ways that sometimes appeal to the uninformed and/or irrational parts of athletes' brains.

I’m sure @Walden Ponderer had his reasons for going, and staying so long. 

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Why would any rational human with choices go to aggy? Answer-- no human is completely rational, and motivated bumpkins hard-sell people in ways that sometimes appeal to the uninformed and/or irrational parts of athletes' brains.

Cows aren't going inseminate themselves, dammit

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYNKCMHuiW0TIYbI3b9Kf

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

My only guess is he's selling him on limited footage of how he used Kendrick Rogers (when healthy), specifically the Clemson & OT vs. LSU games.  Putting him in space and letting him compete for passes.  

Yeah, they sold that loss like it was a super bowl win. And largely seemed to succeed.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure @Walden Ponderer had his reasons for going, and staying so long. 

Was he truly at aggy? I thought he just lived in the land of the lost.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is exactly what makes me nervous. That and QJ being a non-traditional, out of the spotlight 4*. None of the 995ers have said "QJ told me (something positive)". It's been all cryptic and I wouldn't be shocked if either chose elsewhere.

QJ's going to Texas. Roach and Fong CB'd him, which generally means they know something. And that's on top of the insight that's spread here the past few days.

Alford seems likely to Texas based on the shit leaking out from both sides, but I'm not positive aTm won't throw down bags at the last minute because of their perception in recruiting right now. So I'm less certain there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Likely, but tOSU has the lowest avg of the top 5 we’re still after Jaxon and Ransom. If we flip own or both, things could get interesting.

I’m curious to see how their season plays out. Even a slightly above average season could trigger a few decommits with dirty Urban gone.

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wiltfong mentioned that QJ cleared 7 feet in the high jump in practice. Also said that Johnston had no intention of leaving the state and that's why other high-profile programs didn't bother chasing him too much (or didn't stand a chance if they did).

Good Texas kid. Makes me like him even more after reading that. Sick of seeing kids who grow up here in the best state in the union with the best economy yet fall over themselves to go to the swamps of Mississippi.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

QJ's going to Texas. Roach and Fong CB'd him, which generally means they know something. And that's on top of the insight that's spread here the past few days.

Alford seems likely to Texas based on the shit leaking out from both sides, but I'm not positive aTm won't throw down bags at the last minute because of their perception in recruiting right now. So I'm less certain there. 

This.

The fact that the alarms sounded on Alford to Texas a few days early concerns me. Gives aggy a few days to get into the mud and change the outcome. They are desperate now after Princely's announcement.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The end of lazy recruiting and evaluation by Texas is the end of TCU and Baylor. Especially Baylor where their entire existence recently was based solely on our inability to identify players properly in state. 

Jalen Reagor should have lived in an orange house. 

uh. that is some pretty insane revisionist history right there.

Spoilering most of this because, well it IS Baylor.

That said, Baylor did not win 40 games over a 4 years timeframe, including winning the B12 twice and finishing in the top 15 3x just because Texas couldn't properly identify players in-state. 

Spoiler

Recruiting:
2011: 46 in composite, 1 4* (Drango who was #228 overall and 31 in Texas)
2012: 26 in composite, 5 4* (2 in top 154 overall, #9 and 21 in Texas)
2013: 27 in composite, 1 5* (Robbie Rhodes was #28 overall, #3 in Texas), 3 4* (also had #18 and 42 in TX plus a 4* juco) 
2014: 25 in composite, 1 5* (KD Cannon, #30 overall, #4 in TX), 2 4* (#7 and #30 in TX) 
2015: 36 in composite, 3 4* (Stidham was #38 overall, #7 in state - also had #29 and 34 in TX)

I get what you are saying, but to sit here and act like the reason they did well was that Texas was bad at identifying players outside the top 50 in State totally ignores the role of the Veer & Shoot, the fact that it fit well with where Texas was overall as a state from a high school offense perspective and the fact they recruited the hell out of some athletes in ETX. 

No...seriously, go back and look at some of those recruiting classes (here is 2014 for example: https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Season/2014-Football/Commits/) and tell me how many of those guys were misses (or even takes) for Texas at all. Obviously top 250 guys were, but outside of the top 10-15% of their class how many guys did Texas even recruit or consider recruiting or really did much of anything as an individual?

the Veer & Shoot + good QBs + no oversight letting you bring in character concern guys who were high quality athletes + some level of actual player development = Baylor being good.

tl;dr: The Veer & Shoot was a pretty damn good offense and Briles was the right guy, in the right situation (little to no oversight), in the right state (rise of 7v7, spread offense, etc), who recruited athletes who clearly fit his offensive system and then also was lucky enough to have the right QBs (RG3, Bryce Petty, Stidham) at the right time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They had a lot more talent than some recent Texas teams. Especially the TCU team that went up 30-0 on us in like five seconds that one time in Ft Worth. 

Speaking of, anyone have a link to that Prevail and Ride from that game? The one with the melting faces? I can't find it anywhere.

33 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

It's even more comical when I see Aggy making comments about who or what school doesn't put kids in the league.

The Aggies are pretty slick when it comes this. They actually talk about conferences that put players into the league. Why would anybody go to the BDF when the SEC puts way more guys in the league?

They like to focus on getting guys in the league and that being recruits main concern because it's big SEC selling point that they can vamp off of.

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Kruliec guy says that the Smith kid and his family love tosu/Hartline, so he doesn't see a flip happening... which means...?

An Ohio State reporter catering to Ohio State kids is telling his subscriber base what they want to hear? Weird.

Something has changed in that situation. He was a total afterthought until about a week ago. Literally no one was mentioning him. But a few folks have reported there might be interest there. So he's indicated that, minimally, he's listening

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

uh. that is some pretty insane revisionist history right there.

Spoilering most of this because, well it IS Baylor.

That said, Baylor did not win 40 games over a 4 years timeframe, including winning the B12 twice and finishing in the top 15 3x just because Texas couldn't properly identify players in-state. 

Reveal hidden contents

Recruiting:
2011: 46 in composite, 1 4* (Drango who was #228 overall and 31 in Texas)
2012: 26 in composite, 5 4* (2 in top 154 overall, #9 and 21 in Texas)
2013: 27 in composite, 1 5* (Robbie Rhodes was #28 overall, #3 in Texas), 3 4* (also had #18 and 42 in TX plus a 4* juco) 
2014: 25 in composite, 1 5* (KD Cannon, #30 overall, #4 in TX), 2 4* (#7 and #30 in TX) 
2015: 36 in composite, 3 4* (Stidham was #38 overall, #7 in state - also had #29 and 34 in TX)

I get what you are saying, but to sit here and act like the reason they did well was that Texas was bad at identifying players outside the top 50 in State totally ignores the role of the Veer & Shoot, the fact that it fit well with where Texas was overall as a state from a high school offense perspective and the fact they recruited the hell out of some athletes in ETX. 

No...seriously, go back and look at some of those recruiting classes (here is 2014 for example: https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Season/2014-Football/Commits/) and tell me how many of those guys were misses (or even takes) for Texas at all. Obviously top 250 guys were, but outside of the top 10-15% of their class how many guys did Texas even recruit or consider recruiting or really did much of anything as an individual?

the Veer & Shoot + good QBs + no oversight letting you bring in character concern guys who were high quality athletes + some level of actual player development = Baylor being good.

tl;dr: The Veer & Shoot was a pretty damn good offense and Briles was the right guy, in the right situation (little to no oversight), in the right state (rise of 7v7, spread offense, etc), who recruited athletes who clearly fit his offensive system and then also was lucky enough to have the right QBs (RG3, Bryce Petty, Stidham) at the right time. 

Do you even remember that we thought RG3 was at best a take at defensive back? Briles built his entire program around that guy. Not to me to mention we thought Corey Coleman was too “stiff” or whatever retard evaluation term we used to justify not recruiting him. Spencer Drango a freaking local kid just to name a few off the top of my head. 

Briles built a program on players that could have easily been Longhorns had we even tried to evaluate and recruit. Was that the sole reason? Of course not but it was a pretty big part of it. 

• Like 1