ESPN GAME DAY

Steamboat1874

7 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Wtf with all the religious signs

I’m at the gym but if it’s those lime green and black signs, they were all over Gameday the entire season about 2-3 years ago. It stopped and now I’ve noticed it back again.

it’s highly annoying but (no CR) if you try to run them out or tell them to go away, they’ll use it as ammunition to cry religious persecution.

Its like you’re fucked either way

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m at the gym but if it’s those lime green and black signs, they were all over Gameday the entire season about 2-3 years ago. It stopped and now I’ve noticed it back again.

it’s highly annoying but (no CR) if you try to run them out or tell them to go away, they’ll use it as ammunition to cry religious persecution.

Its like you’re fucked either way

What does being at a gym have to do with the color of GameDay signs?  Is it like telling people that I’m vegan?  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

What does being at a gym have to do with the color of GameDay signs?  Is it like telling people that I’m vegan?  

Meaning I’m not watching Gameday because I’m at the gym and deducing he’s meaning the same signs as before which gives an opening that it could possibly be different signs?

Did you go to class while at kstate or just drink at lot at Kites?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given how much ESPN has seemingly hitched their wagon to him, I found article from The Athletic very surprising:

adb4171fd764914b52d82187faefb038.jpg

Sports media personality Pat McAfee said Sunday that he has not re-signed a contract to appear on ESPN’s “College GameDay.”

McAfee wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, that fan criticism of his work on the show is part of the reason he hasn’t.

“I have heard you all very loud and clear since the beginning of my stint with GameDay. It’s one of the biggest reasons why I have not resigned a contract with the legendary show,” he said. “I’m not right for some crowds and the ‘distinguished’ College Football folks are definitely one of those.

“Excited to enjoy the rest of this year, that’s shaping up to be a GREAT one, and then see what the future holds.”

“College GameDay” viewership is down four percent in 2023 prior to Saturday. The show has averaged 1.956 million viewers so far in 2023, compared to 2.043 million viewers in 2022. Despite the statistically very small drop, this year is the second-most-watched year of the show since 2010. “College GameDay” averaged 2.1 million viewers in 2022 — the most-watched regular season and second most-watched overall season.

In his tweet, McAfee referenced a story from The Athletic on how readers watch college football. More than 3,100 readers responded on topics from broadcasters, ESPN versus Fox, how they feel about McAfee on “College GameDay” and more in the second annual college football TV survey. Among those who took the survey, 30.1 percent said they like McAfee on the show, 48.9 percent said they don’t and 21 percent had no opinion.

“Pat has been a fantastic addition to the ‘College GameDay’ family and our viewership gains from the past year and a half are evidence of that fact,” an ESPN spokesperson said Sunday. “He’s got a home on the show for as long as he would like.”

Fan reaction to McAfee on the show

McAfee finds fans and detractors in everything he does, and “College GameDay” is no different. He has a legion of fans from his radio show and podcast, which has turned into a multimillion-dollar business. With his rise has also come a collection of people who find his antics over the top, especially as he finds his way into more ESPN platforms like “College GameDay.”

It came to a head a few weeks ago when the show got into a mini-feud with Washington State over misconstrued comments by Lee Corso about conference realignment. After Washington State coach Jake Dickert and former quarterback Ryan Leaf criticized ESPN, McAfee fired back, saying “College GameDay” supported WSU and its flag when the program was down, people should “shut up” and that he was “about sick of you.”

Anecdotally, I began to hear from a lot of upset fans from that point forward who felt that McAfee didn’t appreciate college football by taking a shot at a school when it was hurting. Our second annual college football was just a small unscientific online poll, but it seemed to upset McAfee on top of the other backlash.

Personally, I’ve enjoyed the increased energy McAfee has brought to the show, especially his banter with Kirk Herbstreit. I also enjoy him as a WWE commentator, but I understand that style is not for everyone. To not apologize or be more playful with a “College GameDay” tradition like Washington State turned a lot of people off. The show is meant to be an on-campus party every week and not be taken too seriously, but it’s also a sport built on traditions that fans want to be respected. — Chris Vannini, national college football writer

Could he still sign on?

I won’t bury the lede: I expect McAfee to return to “College GameDay” next season. I know enough people who work on “College GameDay” to know that McAfee enjoys the camaraderie of the group both in front of and behind the camera. He’s also a very savvy business person when it comes to his brand and he knows the connection to one of ESPN’s iconic properties is very good for “The Pat McAfee Show” brand. It’s also a fun gig — a travel grind, for sure, but a fun one.

There’s nothing in the viewership data to suggest McAfee has any negative impact on the show — and that’s what matters to ESPN executives. These things have a way of working out and I’ll bet on McAfee being on set next August. — Richard Deitsch, sports media writer

Backstory

News of McAfee potentially not returning to “College GameDay” comes after he signed a multiyear deal with ESPN in early September to join the show as a full-time analyst. He previously appeared on “College GameDay” as an analyst in 2022 and contributed to ESPN’s college football postseason coverage.

At the time of the announcement, ESPN chairman Jimmy Pitaro told The Athletic, “I think that’s largely because he’s real, authentic and unafraid. His top attributes are exactly what we look for — he’s willing to say what he believes, he is genuine, incredibly knowledgeable and passionate. He resonates strongly among young fans, and he has a significant and engaged social presence. He’s that rare talent that both my teenagers and I find compelling.”

McAfee’s “College GameDay” deal followed his first deal with ESPN in May to bring his show, “The Pat McAfee Show,” to the network.

Last year’s “College GameDay” viewership increased in all key demographics with an overall eight percent increase across all viewers. In 2023, the show has had three of the five most-watched pre-November “College GameDay” telecasts since 2010: Week 6’s Red River Rivalry (2.29 million viewers), Week 3 in Boulder for the Rocky Mountain Showdown (2.27 million viewers) and Week 4 in South Bend as Notre Dame hosted Ohio State (2.24 million viewers).

16 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Given how much ESPN has seemingly hitched their wagon to him, I found article from The Athletic very surprising:

adb4171fd764914b52d82187faefb038.jpg

It reads like The Athletic trying to start shit/step on Awful Announcing’s corner.

I think McAfee likes his Gameday coworkers, but he thinks he’s bigger than the show. I guarantee he believes he could do his show on a college campus and it would be better received. If true, ESPN is in a tough spot. They definitely need Gameday( and they probably need McAfee’s show to work out. I imagine they’ll combine the two, and McAfee will get some kind of financial sweetener. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_2023-10-24-17-23-17_kindlephoto-12401087.thumb.png.389cd18b55764e20d11d803e75545d52.png

McAfee's place at the GameDay desk says so much. A table that once sat three, and added a fourth with Desmond Howard in 2005, now places McAfee dead center, with Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso to his right, and Rece Davis and Howard to his left. You can't look away even if you want to. (It must be said that ESPN paid McAfee while laying off the popular David Pollack and others.)

Anecdotally, I've seen a handful message board threads within the College Football Internet soliciting opinions on McAfee, and most have been negative. 

Recently, though, The Athletic conducted a poll of 3,100 college football fans, and 48.9 percent said they did not like McAfee's presence on GameDay. Twenty-one percent had no opinion, leaving only 30.1 percent viewing his addition as a positive to the sport's pregame show of record. Just over 4 percent listed McAfee as their favorite college football TV analyst, placing him sixth in the industry. 

ESPN knows this, and is fine with it. The former WWE contributor drives the conversation, and hate viewers count the same as everyone else.

However, McAfee signaled over the weekend that he may not be all that into his role as ESPN's designated lightning rod.

On Sunday, McAfee quote-tweeted a screenshot of the poll, saying this (and if you're unfamiliar with McAfee's schtick, this tweet pretty much says it all): 

Screenshot_2023-10-24-17-22-17_kindlephoto-12433934.thumb.png.10549e7a69b27f6251e36e901b4473dc.png

So, McAfee states he is not under contract with GameDay beyond this season. "I'm not right for some crowds and the 'distinguished' College Football folks are definitely one of those," McAfee said, implying contempt for people who like college football enough to pay to read about it.

McAfee's presence on GameDay is a kind of living metaphor for where college football as a whole is going. The Big Ten is about to embark on becoming the first "national" conference, with TV deals already in place with Fox, CBS and NBC. ESPN will go all-in on the SEC beginning next year, and will make room for the ACC, the Big 12 and the others when they can.  

And then next year will see the start of the 12-team Playoff that will make college football more like the NFL. More teams will remain in the national championship hunt through the end of November, which will mean that some teams will be 6-4 with legitimate hopes of getting in the expanded bracket. 

ESPN, Fox and the others will almost certainly lose some hardcore fans in Oregon or Arkansas -- the "distinguished College Football fans" -- but they're betting they'll make up for it by appealing to the casual fan in the Northeast, the type of person that find McAfee appealing. 

That future is coming for college football, starting in full next season. McAfee may or may not be a part of it. 

In the meantime, McAfee and the rest of the GameDay gang will be in Salt Lake City on Saturday broadcasting before No. 8 Oregon at No. 13 Utah (the game will air at 3:30 p.m. ET on Fox). 

I watch Pat’s show during lunch M-F. His Friday show, on campus, is actually pretty good IMO.

As an NFL alum, he does get visitors to his show on weekdays that others might not. I understand his “mantra” and can look through/beyond it for the substance that his show actually brings. His show, during lunchtime, is IMO better than what ESPN has produced in a long while.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

McAfee isn’t the problem. This show needed an injection of adrenaline. He’s been having a blast. Plus, having his show the day before on the campus really adds to all of it. The show has far more energy. He’s not for everyone but it’s better than the milquetoast stuff that they’ve been putting out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I get the Washington State flag. It’s a staple.

But why do other schools like Clemson feel they need their flag to fly at every Gameday location?

copycats who cant think for themselves. 

that being said... watching Kirk and Rocket doing their damndest to avoid sounding like giving the homer/ rival statement re: Michigan was more than a little awkward

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

copycats who cant think for themselves. 

that being said... watching Kirk and Rocket doing their damndest to avoid sounding like giving the homer/ rival statement re: Michigan was more than a little awkward

One of the main reasons to shake things up a bit. Take a stand on something. This isn’t a Hallmark movie. I get why people don’t like McAfee. He’s grown on me. He’s not a Jim Rome type but does have a schtick that some don’t like. Maybe just put Jesse Palmer up there—reload with a similar type person that fits GameDay’s deal. Then no one is offended. The older I get the more I appreciate people being like McAfee. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

One of the main reasons to shake things up a bit. Take a stand on something. This isn’t a Hallmark movie. I get why people don’t like McAfee. He’s grown on me. He’s not a Jim Rome type but does have a schtick that some don’t like. Maybe just put Jesse Palmer up there—reload with a similar type person that fits GameDay’s deal. Then no one is offended. The older I get the more I appreciate people being like McAfee. 

Bombastic/obnoxious?

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Bombastic/obnoxious?

Says what he means. Isn’t concerned about the nuances of it. Not worried he’ll offend everyone with his takes. Sure he could take it down a notch and often looks like as someone posted a while back a lesbian rodeo manager. But GD doesn’t really typically take sides on much of anything. 

case in point on Michigan sign stealing:

Herbie: blah blah. Seems like it could be a big deal but What the heck is going on?

Desmond: I think people just don’t want JH in college football.

McAfee: First you have Hamburger gate and now an elaborate sign stealing operation. Which we all know people steal signs in game but this is a bridge too far. Are we looking at the end of JH at Michigan? 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I get the Washington State flag. It’s a staple.

But why do other schools like Clemson feel they need their flag to fly at every Gameday location?

The ACC bitched about the lack of ESPN promotion. They promised them some more commercials, a few more national broadcasts, and coverage on College Gameday. In addition to the Clemson flag and other manufactured signs for other schools plus an ACC sign that say “Conference of Greatness” being held up by ESPN employees at every location now.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Says what he means. Isn’t concerned about the nuances of it. Not worried he’ll offend everyone with his takes. Sure he could take it down a notch and often looks like as someone posted a while back a lesbian rodeo manager. But GD doesn’t really typically take sides on much of anything. 

Corso tops the list of GameDay's issues, IMO. He's downright embarrassing most weeks. Sad

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

The ACC bitched about the lack of ESPN promotion. They promised them some more commercials, a few more national broadcasts, and coverage on College Gameday. In addition to the Clemson flag and other manufactured signs for other schools plus an ACC sign that say “Conference of Greatness” being held up by ESPN employees at every location now.

Seriously?

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Phaedra Parks Reality Tv GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

Just now, TexArcher said:

One of these mornings Kirk is gonna get his hand broken by some hungover 19-year-old wannabe place kicker, and I sure hope I'm watching.

The kicking challenge for me is the most entertaining part of the show week to week. LMAO that that stoner kid almost cost them $75K each.

• Hook 'Em 1