XFL: The sequel

MillerEP

A few of these interceptions are some of the worst passes I've ever seen, and I just spent 4 years watching Spencer Sanders play. It goes to my biggest problem with minor league football, once you get past 3 string and practice squad QBs in the NFL, the quality of QBs is pretty bad, and is a position where bad play really shows. 

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

I really like this review process. I also think the NFL and NCAA should go to this form of kickoffs. The thing they have now just discourages returns. This encourages returns and doesn't have the injury danger of guys flying down the field into contact.

Yeah, I really like the kickoff format.

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Can’t wait to go back to a roughnecks game. 

Went last night. One the ladies in the group I was with said, "This is like high school football." The guys all said, "High school football games are fun, and this one has alcohol!"

It was a good time.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Went last night and it was an asswhipping. #1 had a pretty badass TD catch and #22 had a good td run.

Paxton Lynch got benched (or hurt not sure but anyway what a loser)

I could probably be talked into going back to another game

Paxton Lynch was fucking terrible.

The tv announcers can rule on a replay? The guy who isn’t Joey Galloway just said they watched the replay and buzzed down to the ref and told him to move the ball a half yard back from where they spotted it, negating a first down. (Fwiw, I thought it was clear that the runner was short when watching it live.)

And another missed FG. They’ll be tied 3-3 in San Antonio at halftime. 

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The tv announcers can rule on a replay? The guy who isn’t Joey Galloway just said they watched the replay and buzzed down to the ref and told him to move the ball a half yard back from where they spotted it, negating a first down. (Fwiw, I thought it was clear that the runner was short when watching it live.)

And another missed FG. They’ll be tied 3-3 in San Antonio at halftime. 

Dean Blandino buzzed down from the booth.  

On 2/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I remember Perez playing well in the USFL or whatever is was. 

Went to college with him. He won the Harlon Hill Trophy(D2 Heisman) and lead A&M-Commerce to the a national championship victory in 2017. He was on the Rams practice squad for a while. Was also QB for Birmingham Iron in the AAF, New York Guardians(now Orlando) in the 2020 XFL and was with New Jersey Generals in the USFL last year. 

On 2/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I remember Perez playing well in the USFL or whatever is was. 

I always say they need to make a movie about that guy. Did not play high school football, walked on at his community college, rose from last on the depth chart to starter, transferred to A&M commerce and leads team to a national title. Eventually spends time on an NFL roster. And is also a semi-pro bowler.

Edited by Helobious

2 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Watching some videos from the DC game last night, they tried to revise thier beer cup snake from 2020 but couldn't. Resorted to fans throwing beer in the air after a touchdown. Also throwing lemons for whatever reason.

security took the beer snake, throwing the lemons were the response. they were in some frozen drink kind of thing they served.

and

Edited by NoName

I watched most of the SA game. It's fine, not bad but America has shown it doesn't care about minor league sports. Even the most popular one baseball isn't a money marker and is subsidized by MLB while the players get paid absolute shit. It only exists for guys to chase their big money MLB dreams. 

The NBA G league gets zero attention and makes no money. The hockey juniors and AHL get zero American attention and don't make money. Why would a minor league football organization that isn't subsidized by the NFL as a development league last long?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I watched most of the SA game. It's fine, not bad but America has shown it doesn't care about minor league sports. Even the most popular one baseball isn't a money marker and is subsidized by MLB while the players get paid absolute shit. It only exists for guys to chase their big money MLB dreams. 

The NBA G league gets zero attention and makes no money. The hockey juniors and AHL get zero American attention and don't make money. Why would a minor league football organization that isn't subsidized by the NFL as a development league last long?

there are differences you aren't considering as part of this

1) AHL/minor league baseball/G League all play at the same time as the "main" sports - literally going up against them in the same time slots

2) those aren't generally or ever on national TV. where as the USFL / XFL / AAF all were or have been.

3) the NFL (football) blows everything else out of the water ratings wise. literally, 1-32 of the top 50 watched sporting events of 2022 were the NFL. 48 of the top 50 sporting events were football. the only 5 that were not were the world cup final, the beijing winter olympics night 9, which aired after the super bowl. the national championship between UGA and Alabama was #33. the peach bowl semifinal of UGA/Ohio State was #35, the TCU/Michigan CFP game was #38. literally 45 of the top 50 sporting events were NFL games.

take out the NFL and 5 of the top 10 remaining events were CFB games, along with the night 9 of olympics, world cup final, USA/England world cup game and then a final 4 game and the CBB national championship. football matters, and this is kind of a dead time sports wise, most people don't care about conference NCAA basketball games or early season NCAA baseball games. even alternative sports haven't really kicked off - no F1, no golf majors until next month, no major horse races yet, no real MLB games until mid april, no NHL playoffs yet, MLS just started. the only real "major" sporting event during this kind of lull is the Daytona 500.

also calling this minor league sports shows a complete misunderstanding of the differences here. no players signed to NFL contracts are here. this is clearly an alternative spring-time based football league.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1