Texas Agricultural & Mechanical University vs. Texas State (7:30 SEC Network)

Pancho

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, Spav sucks. 80% of his playbook is screens. Terrible playcaller or I guess I should say play design. 

He’s awful.

Their OL wasn’t horrible in pass pro. Go downfield instead of throwing the same damn screen every play. 

Their QBs were fucking terrible. I saw two passes to open guys deep that were way off. On one of them the receiver was running about 5 yards from the sideline and the throw landed out of bounds.

Spavital certainly didn't do anything ingenious to help his guys but I'm not going to judge him in his first game with those players. Not a lot to work with there.

And that's also why we didn't learn anything at all about A&M. Their opponent was complete trash. Only thing we could tell was that their OL has some major communication/mental issues. Allowing free rushers to Texas State was a bit concerning.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Definitely communication issues on the OL but there’s a talent deficiency too. A&M’s left tackle was beat several times tonight. Right tackle wasn’t much better. 

I think they’re going to have a lot of issues against any decent DL. 

What I saw wasn’t an easy fix. You can fix communication issues but can’t fix a guy getting beat by Texas State level talent. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

36 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Have we seen “the letter from the gobsmacked visiting fan” yet. 

I don’t care about the aggy game, I’m just waiting for the fake letter aggys live and die for after each home game. 

I was at the game (daughter at TxSt) and I was thinking how nice people we being, but Mrs Fidy pointed out the the beer vendors don't count.  In hindsight I'm pretty sure none of those nice vendors went to aggy and welcome anyone who isn't wearing moron.  

Live game notes:

they aren't as bad as I hoped, but they are nowhere near as good as aggy hopes.

Offensive line is terrible, D-line not a lot better.  Receivers pretty solid, LBs pretty good.  Secondary has a coup,e guys who can play but speed is an issue all around.  Mond looks like he did last year, Calzada throws so hard his receivers can't handle the ball.  In other words, everything we knew here confirmed again   

stands were 65-70% at peak, actually pretty lame crowd.  They pipe crowd noise in the first quarter during their choreographed scenes.  It was loud as shit but it was mostly coming from the speakers.  Is that even legal while the other team is on offense?

i did manage to embarrass Mrs Fidy a little when they tried to get us to do that seesaw sawed off bullshit, I sang the Eyes of Texas with horns up instead.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I was at the game (daughter at TxSt) and I was thinking how nice people we being, but Mrs Fidy pointed out the the beer vendors don't count.  In hindsight I'm pretty sure none of those nice vendors went to aggy and welcome anyone who isn't wearing moron.  

Live game notes:

they aren't as bad as I hoped, but they are nowhere near as good as aggy hopes.

Offensive line is terrible, D-line not a lot better.  Receivers pretty solid, LBs pretty good.  Secondary has a coup,e guys who can play but speed is an issue all around.  Mond looks like he did last year, Calzada throws so hard his receivers can't handle the ball.  In other words, everything we knew here confirmed again   

stands were 65-70% at peak, actually pretty lame crowd.  They pipe crowd noise in the first quarter during their choreographed scenes.  It was loud as shit but it was mostly coming from the speakers.  Is that even legal while the other team is on offense?

i did manage to embarrass Mrs Fidy a little when they tried to get us to do that seesaw sawed off bullshit, I sang the Eyes of Texas with horns up instead.  

I disagree here. It’s only one game so we can’t know for sure about his overall progress, but Mond looked pretty sharp last night.

Texas State was just flat out horrible and I don't think that program will even get back to it's glory days it had when it was SWT.   Their offense needs a ton of work and why they kept their starting QB in there after the half was questionable.   The backup was just as bad.    

But I will say their defense as bad as it was did manage to get to Mond on several occasions which if the SEC! SEC! SEC! is a league known for their defenses ( bullchit, but that's the kool aid the media serves) then  they will have a problem.       aggy is full of delusion (which is nothing new) if they think this years matchup with Clemson is going to be a close game.   It's funny just doing a Google search and seeing titles with "dominate win" describing  this game.  

Not sure what these idiots were watching in the Clemson/Tech game. Clemson looked as if they could have scored 80 points if they wanted to open up the offense a bit, and I am not sure GT could score 24 against them if they played all night. Lawrence was human tonight and threw 2 picks and it didn't matter. This team will score 50 on the ags.

I thought Mond looked very good and threw some great passes.

Receivers also looked pretty good however......

Mond is going to get killed against good teams with that O-line.

They were absolutely clueless against any blitz and he took some shots and needed some alcoholic ones after that abortion.

If I was Clemson I would blitz the shit out of them from everywhere and I am sure they will. 

I thought Aggy looked pretty good.  They won in the fashion that a good team should win against a brand new FBS school.  Their schedule is brutal, so they will end up wasting possibly their best team in 6 years on a 8-4 regular season and finish 3rd or 4th in their division.  Moving to the SEC was just a really bad decision if they want to be nationally relevant.  

If we do our job and win the big 12, recruiting should turn permanently.

4 minutes ago, Pal of Mao said:

I thought Aggy looked pretty good.  They won in the fashion that a good team should win against a brand new FBS school.  Their schedule is brutal, so they will end up wasting possibly their best team in 6 years on a 8-4 regular season and finish 3rd or 4th in their division.  Moving to the SEC was just a really bad decision if they want to be nationally relevant.  

If we do our job and win the big 12, recruiting should turn permanently.

Lol this team isn’t even better than their team last year. What game did you watch?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

S&P projected score - 41-10.  Actual score - 41-7.  Goddamn those sheep fuckers looked awful last night.  

Probably because tx state returned most of its defense. Obviously a great gauge of expected performance. Clemson lost a lot to the NFL on defense, so I fully expect Mond and co to tear them up next week.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Only watched some of the first half. The OL looked like shit, other than Kenyon who's impressive for a true freshman. 

Did anyone get injured?

Didn't look like it, but Mond continued to take shots in the 2nd half and was getting up/moving around slowly.  You could tell he was hurting.

8 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I feel sorry for all the insurance salesmen of the world. Their job is always used as the example of a vanilla af regular guy job. 

You actually see a lot of former athletes get into the insurance sales and realtor markets. People love to buy things from someone they have an affinity for for whatever reason. 

If JFF had any sense (and we all know he doesn’t) he would set up shop in the BCS area and Aggy would line up in droves to hand over their cash. 

Mond looked good. He has a great arm and is surprisingly accurate on deep throws and on the run. He does throw 1 pick per game when he forces it. 

The OL didn't look as good as last year. That happens when you replace an all conference center with Prater. Their OTs are not great, and their best player is a true freshman who's still learning. Mond was already the most hit QB in the SEC last year. So let's not pretend last year's OL was all world. Their OL is not significantly worse this year, but it is worse, they just don't have Sternberger, Trayveon Williams, and an all conference center to help mask the issues.  

People expecting true freshman TE Wydermeyer to replace Sternberger are idiots. Same with Corbin replacing Trayveon Williams. Corbin isn't bad, but he's only a sophomore with limited playing experience, and that Oline is not going to help him. 

I actually thought their secondary looked better, but their defensive line looked worse. Now their secondary was going against Texas State, so that might have something to do with it, but they took advantage. We'll see how they fare against Clemson and Trevor Lawrence. The Dline did not get much pressure whatsoever. I think I remember 1 sack off a corner blitz. Maybe there was another one I missed, but that Texas State Oline gave their shitty QBs all the time in the world to miss wide open WRs. 

I still doubt they will be as bad as everyone here hopes. With Mond, you can win games, even ones you probably shouldn't. At the same time, the wheels are loosened, so if they fall off, I wouldn't totally be surprised, but just not expecting it yet. They're not UCLA bad. 

• Like 3

Their OL is going to improve.  Problem is, so are their opponents.  Last year Mond was erratic at best.  Outside of his performance against a gassed and dejected LSU defense, he had head-scratchers almost every game.  He had TM to bail him out repeatedly and a decent OL that could help keep defenses honest with a sure-fure TE that he could count on.

These are all gone.  A one-dimensional offense and that OL is a recipe for hilarity as the season goes on.  Their defense may be slightly improved (or on par with last year), but last year's unit benefited from an offense that kept them off the field.  I have a feeling Mond's going to be the "3 and out" king next year.....sending his defense back on the field time and time again.  Or they score quickly.  Either way, their TOP is going to drop significantly and that defense is going to be hung out to dry.  

Edited by BabaYaga

Mond looked good. He has a great arm and is surprisingly accurate on deep throws and on the run.

Does he have a great arm, though? Not a joke, really asking.

I'll admit he looked more accurate than I expected, but I was surprised to see the bizarre hurling motion he used on some of the deep passes. Maybe the pressure was just forcing him not to set himself well, but it looked really strange and forced to push the ball down field

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Mond looked good. He has a great arm and is surprisingly accurate on deep throws and on the run. He does throw 1 pick per game when he forces it. 

The OL didn't look as good as last year. That happens when you replace an all conference center with Prater. Their OTs are not great, and their best player is a true freshman who's still learning. Mond was already the most hit QB in the SEC last year. So let's not pretend last year's OL was all world. Their OL is not significantly worse this year, but it is worse, they just don't have Sternberger, Trayveon Williams, and an all conference center to help mask the issues.  

People expecting true freshman TE Wydermeyer to replace Sternberger are idiots. Same with Corbin replacing Trayveon Williams. Corbin isn't bad, but he's only a sophomore with limited playing experience, and that Oline is not going to help him. 

I actually thought their secondary looked better, but their defensive line looked worse. Now their secondary was going against Texas State, so that might have something to do with it, but they took advantage. We'll see how they fare against Clemson and Trevor Lawrence. The Dline did not get much pressure whatsoever. I think I remember 1 sack off a corner blitz. Maybe there was another one I missed, but that Texas State Oline gave their shitty QBs all the time in the world to miss wide open WRs. 

I still doubt they will be as bad as everyone here hopes. With Mond, you can win games, even ones you probably shouldn't. At the same time, the wheels are loosened, so if they fall off, I wouldn't totally be surprised, but just not expecting it yet. They're not UCLA bad. 

I looked at their schedule and feel like they will lose 5 games this season and could easily lose 6. Then i realized I think that every year and they keep going 8-4 or 9-3. That is their absolute ceiling this year and if Mond goes down for any length of time they are going to drop a few more. 

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I looked at their schedule and feel like they will lose 5 games this season and could easily lose 6. Then i realized I think that every year and they keep going 8-4 or 9-3. That is their absolute ceiling this year and if Mond goes down for any length of time they are going to drop a few more. 

Yeah, their schedule is nuts.  Not inconceivable that they could be one of the best 10-15 teams in the country and still go 6-6.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, Pal of Mao said:

Moving to the SEC was just a really bad decision if they want to be nationally relevant.  

If they played in the Big 12 this year they would still lose to Clemson, OU, UT and Iowa State. TCU would not be a gimme. And they would still be battling Texas Tech and Oklahoma State for 2nd tier relevance in the Big 12. Get out of here with that "if only they weren't playing in the SEC" bullshit.

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

If they played in the Big 12 this year they would still lose to Clemson, OU, UT and Iowa State. TCU would not be a gimme. And they would still be battling Texas Tech and Oklahoma State for 2nd tier relevance in the Big 12. Get out of here with that "if only they weren't playing in the SEC" bullshit.

This. It was absolutely the right move for national relevance. They turned 4-6 Big 12 losses into 4-6 SEC winlosses. If they keep it within 2 TDs it's basically a win.

Just now, Fozzz said:

They were 11th in S&P and 13th in FPI last season and are projected to be 13th/11th in those two metrics this season.

so, lower than 10th?

even so, I'm glad your little team has a statistic to prove it's might and worth-- put that shit on the wall, dude

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

so, lower than 10th?

That would require them to overperform their projection by a whole...couple of spots.  They are also projected to win around 7 games, hence why it's not inconceivable for them to both be a top 10-15 team but only win six games.  

• Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

lol come on. 

• Fuck You 6

I’ll wait to see how Auburn looks.... but with the Oline play I have to say this team is a 5 loss team.

Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and Georgia. They might win one of these games.

However, IDK if they win every game out of SC, Miss St., and Ole Miss.

Their ceiling is 8-4 but damn it if they don’t go 6-6.

Their schedule is brutal and if they lose Mond (very likely for at least some period of time this season) they could actually miss a bowl. It probably just depends on what games he misses.

Edited by Dnaguy

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3054935

After going to the game tonight I have some thoughts for the current students....

Why in the world are you adding an extra "you" after singing "the eyes of Texas are upon you"??? It sounds stupid! It's not in the song. Don't do it.

Why are the male students wearing cut off shorts with cowboy boots??? This looks stupid and un-masculine. Don't do it.

When sawing varsity's horns off, stop adding an extra beat for the seniors to whoop. You throw off the entire second verse. Stop doing it!

I'll get off my soapbox and go to bed now. But for Pete sake stop being stupid!