image.thumb.png.63edfd573e31323cae178e7b512a7b0d.png

image.thumb.png.af1ebca2125bcb583a177e46181e582e.png

image.thumb.png.b375fa3ec3260ad873f71771838dd7d3.png

image.thumb.png.8749721aed6f8c002b8350bf0e14990a.png

image.thumb.png.9b2b46f1adff21542440a25ad6f26a54.png

image.thumb.png.aa1ce902340ec769d07172d035c9760c.png

image.thumb.png.147a71cd7c148f15a5cf12eaeb4bd15a.png

image.thumb.png.157be6fd4edf1f4167f1657505d5102a.png

So I guess I'll ask... why exactly is Crawford a safety? Dude seemed to have a ton of potential at corner and you figure you'd want his speed there. 

Is it just a case of us having more bodies to throw at corner than we do at safety? That'd be fair, but the way IT writes it Crawford is apparently definitely a safety (and always has been!). 

I know IT has a tendency of "Every high school OT is really a guard at the next level and every corner is really a safety" so I didn't know if this was more of that or if there was more. 

Edited by Surlian

4 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Tell me you’ve never spoken to Joe Wickline without making me finish this sentence..

we need the joe wickline copy pasta here about finding a huge kid in a small town coached by his friend and ignoring the big 5* for some dumb reason

2 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

Ugh.  That disaster of a post might only be edged out by the “Chief in the deer blind” copypasta.  But it’s close.

I distinctly remember someone on TexAgs (or 247) with a long post analyzing Jimbo's posture next to Reveille that ended with the phrase "Yield to Alpha"

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Has anybody ever received an offer after a terrible conversation?

Back in the 90s in South Padre, every girl in a Bikini top and daisy dukes received various offers from me. I surmise that all of those young ladies viewed the conversations as unpleasant. I knew it. That didn't stop me. I couldn't close, but my ability to open was valiant.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Back in the 90s in South Padre, every girl in a Bikini top and daisy dukes received various offers from me. I surmise that all of those young ladies viewed the conversations as unpleasant. I knew it. That didn't stop me. I couldn't close, but my ability to open was valiant.

So to answer ClubWhatever's question, the answer is still No. 

• Haha 1

Humidor

Spoiler

This week saw the return of ‘team run’ to offseason programming. That consists of very fast-paced agility drills over the course of an hour as players move from station to station. It’s basically a long HIIT workout. Those drills are difficult enough, but then they’re finished off with gassers. You may have seen players on Twitter discussing how tired they were this week. These workouts aren’t anything new, it was just their first time doing them in a long time. They‘re still climatizing.

Some more team notes for your Friday:

DL notes: Sources are optimistic Alfred Collins will have a rebound year. The talent is undeniable, but he was a victim of his own ability as he was versatile enough to move to Jack last year. By returning to 3-tech, and staying there, he is expected to resume his initial trend line. He’ll have Moro Ojomo to contend with, but they’re a solid yin and yang. Ojomo is viewed as a steady, Ta’Quon Graham sort. He might not be drafted, Graham went in the 5th round, but he’ll play in the NFL. Meanwhile, Collins brings elite size and athletic dimensions to the position.

Keondre Coburn is still mentioned as one of the main leaders, especially on defense. He’s one of eight team leaders in the team-wide competition we outlined last week.

Sticking at nose tackle, it’s still hard to get a handle on what to expect from T’Vondre Sweat. He has a lot of ability but his motor runs hot and cold. He’s quite fond of Bo Davis so there’s hope Davis can develop him further and get the most out of him.

When talking draft, it’s hard to know how Byron Murphy will eventually be viewed, but he’s expected to be a damn good college player starting this season. Despite all the bodies at the position, he’s going to play a lot. Expect he and Collins to provide more interior disruption when playing together than what we saw last year.

IT asked one source who the best young DB is: Based on the first month, that award would go to Jaylon Guilbeau. Again, it’s just one source who said that, but the praise for Guilbeau is universal. IT followed up and asked if Guilbeau is fast enough to remain at corner. The source replied he thinks Guilbeau can stay there but it might not be his best position.

Team mindset: Players themselves are openly saying the mindset is different but what’s interesting here is many of the new players are a playing a big part in the new and improved demeanor. Most of them have come in with the right disposition and are embracing what it takes to be a college player. There’s more player-driven accountability and most of the young guys are self-starters.

Roschon Johnson's team: “He’s always been a leader, but it went to a different level after the K-State game.”

What’s his leadership style?

“He’s vocal, but he also sets a great example. He’s about taking care of his business.“

Obviously a quarterback will have to assume a leadership role, but that will play out on the field first. That isn’t to say Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers aren’t doing the right things — they are.

Wide receiver: IT asked a source about Xavier Worthy being a leader.

“He leads by example; he’s worked hard since he got to Texas. He’s always bringing the receivers together. But don’t forget about Jordan Whittington. I know he’s had trouble staying on the field, but this is the best he’s ever looked. This is the fastest he’s ever been.”

Good to hear because he gained weight and lost a step last year after the injury. Knock on wood, but Whittington’s chronic issues seem to be behind him. Last year’s shoulder injury could have happened to anyone.

Finally, Troy Omeire and Jaden Alexis, two talented receivers who missed last year due to knee injuries, are going through team run. Troy is running well, though perhaps a bit cautious. But he’s full-go right now, doing gassers and all.

Along with the addition of Isaiah Neyor, wide receiver has the chance to surprise this season.

Recruiting Matters

After a huge 2021 season for El Campo (Texas) junior Rueben Owens, the state's top tailback prospect is prepping for track season. The 5-foot-11, 187-pounder has no shortage of suitors and the Longhorns remain high on his list.

The No. 26 overall prospect in the On3 Consensus recently tripped to Georgia, and Owens tells IT the Dawgs are a factor in his recruitment. With offers from virtually every major college program, Texas and Texas A&M still appear to be the lead dogs. But Owens is keeping his options open.

He's looking at a return to Texas and Texas A&M over the next few months, and could be a guest at the Texas spring game in April. There's no doubt he'll be back in the ATX, but you still have to watch the Aggies here. Plus, Georgia might be a school to watch a little closer. Another program really pushing is USC, where he'll visit in early March. The Trojans are making the four-star a priority.

There’s a solid chance Owens will be able to visit when Arch Manning visits Texas this spring.

2023 Spring (Texas) Dekaney wide receiver Jonah Wilson called Texas his "dream offer." Now, we've seen in the past where that doesn't hold much water, but with Wilson, it's safe to say UT is in good shape.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound pass-catcher caught the eye of the Texas staff recently at a basketball game and Brennan Marion has been courting him ever since. The Horns view Wilson as an ideal X receiver who can stretch the field. The four-star and No. 181 prospect in the 2023 On300 has a nice set of programs in pursuit.

Texas, Ohio State, and Texas A&M are noteworthy for Wilson at this juncture and he'd like to see those schools this off-season. LSU might be a sleeper here as well. A spring trip to Austin wouldn't surprise anyone. He'll be on the track and running the 200m soon after hoops season is over.

Wilson remains a priority for the UT staff and we don't see that changing anytime soon.

For a large part of Dallas South Oak Cliff cornerback Malik Muhammad's recruitment, On3's No. 14 overall prospect loved Notre Dame. Muhammad still maintains a strong relationship with Marcus Freeman and the Irish staff, but lately, the 5-foot-11, 170-pound four-star has been looking around a little more. Notably, at Texas and Texas A&M.

Muhammad has built a great relationship with Texas secondary coach Terry Joseph and hears from Steve Sarkisian on a regular basis. He also is connecting with A&M after a recent unofficial to College Station. With Ohio State, Alabama, and Miami all in the mix, one school to watch is LSU.

The Tigers are making a strong push and Muhammad could see Baton Rouge again after a January unofficial visit. He's building a bond with LSU corners coach Robert Steeples and that certainly is worth monitoring.

The South Oak Cliff corner duo of Muhammad and Jayvon Thomas remains one of the most lethal combinations in the nation, and Texas is positioning itself well with the junior defenders.

Texas wide receiver signee and Spearman (Texas) product Brenen Thompson is the healthiest he has been since track season his sophomore year, according to a locked in source. Thompson’s first meet of the season should be in the first week of March. His goals are extremely lofty this season - come out of the gates running around 10.3-10.4 in the 100m with a goal of hitting 9.99. He’s looking stronger than ever coming off the bone spur surgery, and is confident in his body for the first time in a while.

Texas is recruiting nationally on the defensive line in the 2023 cycle. The Longhorns have had a phone conversation with On3 Consensus four-star defensive tackle John Walker this week. Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski went out to see the Kissimmee (Fla.) Osceola prospect in late January. The Longhorns are working to make a push here, but are currently considered a long shot.

The Longhorns have offered a pair of defensive linemen in the state of Arizona. IT checked in with a longtime Arizona source on Thursday to get the latest. The feeling was On3 Consensus four-star and Chandler (Ariz.) product A’mauri Washington is a long shot.

The opposite was said about Peoria (Ariz.) Liberty defensive tackle My’Keil Garder. The word is Bo Davis has the Longhorns in the mix for the 6-foot-3, 275-pounder. The competition for his services comes from Pac 12 schools, and possibly Wisconsin. Texas would like to get Gardner on campus this spring.

Inside state lines, Texas is scheduled to have Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa’s Avion Carter on campus for the spring game in April. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound On3 Consensus four-star is also scheduled to be at a Saturday practice at Oklahoma in late March. Trips to LSU and Oklahoma State are also likely. Texas Tech is trying to make a big push, but is currently considered a long shot. Carter’s mom would love for her son to reconsider and pick Texas Tech. Carter showed improved physicality, particularly with his hand strike, as a junior. That has Texas’ full attention.

• Hook 'Em 3

Team mindset: Players themselves are openly saying the mindset is different but what’s interesting here is many of the new players are a playing a big part in the new and improved demeanor. Most of them have come in with the right disposition and are embracing what it takes to be a college player. There’s more player-driven accountability and most of the young guys are self-starters.

How many Springs have the 9.95ers copy and pasted this blurb?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

One year it will be true. A year in which Texas has Quinn Ewers, Bijan Robinson, Xavier Worthy, and Isiah Neyor might as well be that year.

Plus a lot of talk how the O’line showed improvement in the last part of the season.  
Why not that year. 

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Well, it’s simple really. Those were all lies last year.

OL improved. Pass blocking was still an issue, but impossible not to notice run blocking improvement. Beat a solid KSU run defense with almost 0 threat in the passing game. Won’t see that vs Bama, but I think run blocking will be solid. Questions will remain at OT