Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Sanders keeps balling out all seaso I hope that may be enough to get Duce Robinson.  Seems to be some Louisville smoke with him, but does Satterfield even use a TE?

There's someone (not family) close to Duce who is pushing him to UL. He went from not even being recruited by UL to making contact in late July and getting an unofficial 7/29. The UL staff was very confident after that visit. However, there’s a season to play and UL looks very bad, so I suppose Texas has a chance to get back in it with a big season,  but there's a lot to overcome. 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Sanders keeps balling out all seaso I hope that may be enough to get Duce Robinson.  Seems to be some Louisville smoke with him, but does Satterfield even use a TE?

Louisville just got killed by Syracuse last night, 31-7. TE’s combined had 3 catches for 22 yards

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Let the record show that Geoff Swaim and Andrew Beck are cashing NFL checks (players not at Sark's disposal, obviously)

This is true, but neither were big pass-catching threats. That doesn't discredit their usefulness, but DCs didn't have to account for them in the passing game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Standish

Spoiler

— I had a great conversation with Jasper 2024 linebacker TyAnthony Smith after his Texas visit concluded last night. Smith and his family left the game early to beat the traffic but said the trip "was wonderful" and that "Texas had amazing hospitality." The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder is an early favorite of linebacker coach Jeff Choate and will join Lucas Lovejoy's Payton Pierce as the top in-state priorities at the position considering the Horns likely won't use as many spots on off-ball linebacker in the 2024 cycle.

I spoke with a longtime source in southeast Texas who believed that while it's early of the schools that have offered Texas and LSU are in the best spot currently. Alabama, Texas A&M, and Oregon have all been in contact since September 1st, but have not offered yet.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks had this to say about Smith in his scouting report.

"Size and athleticism unverified, but tape is encouraging in both regards. Looks lean, athletic, and fairly long on the hoof.

Plays hard with a consistent motor. Productive sophomore season. Shows impressive pursuit range and accompanying closing juice. Not a liability in space with functional athleticism to match up with skill players.

Adding mass and strength will boost arriving impact and foster more consistent disengaging from second-level antagonists.

Limited but valuable short-yardage touches check the two-way box, prevalent in long-term linebacker projections. Through sophomore season, looks like a bona fide Power Five-caliber linebacker prospect with developmental upside."

— Last night former five-star athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders put together the best single-game receiving performance for a Texas tight end since Jermichael Finley in 2007 with his 6 receptions for 85 yards and one touchdown in the Horns 52-10 beat down of ULM. While we reported all offseason that Sanders was one of the best performers consistently in practice, it's another thing for that to directly translate to the field immediately.

Sanders' emergence as one of the Longhorns' best playmakers on offense and one of Quinn Ewers more trusted weapons couldn't come at a better time as Texas is scheduled to host five-star Phoenix (Arizona) Pinnacle TE Duce Robinson on an official visit for the Alabama game. Steve Sarkisian's reputation as a play caller and the Arch Manning effect are two major data points that led to Robinson's scheduled visit, but if the Horns can add to that with a featured role for five-star talent at tight end and a well-rounded baseball recruiting pitch for the two-sport star it could be enough to make up ground on USC's longtime lead.

— Lastly, when asking around for takeaways from recruits about the Texas week one performance some of the consensus feedback I received was how many freshmen started or got rotation snaps for the Longhorns. Kelvin Banks, Cole Hutson, and Jaylon Guilbeau starting along with standout performances from Ethan Burke, Justice Finkley, and Jmond Tapp among others caught a few recruit's eyes in regards to Steve Sarkisian's willingness to start the best man for the job regardless of seniority. One highly ranked prospect said "it's one thing for coaches to say that they're going to let the best man win but Sark actually means it." The vast majority of recruits I messaged about the game weren't watching or even following on social media which will surely change as the eyes of the college football world focus on the Forty Acres for the Alabama game in six days.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Standish

Hide contents

— I had a great conversation with Jasper 2024 linebacker TyAnthony Smith after his Texas visit concluded last night. Smith and his family left the game early to beat the traffic but said the trip "was wonderful" and that "Texas had amazing hospitality." The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder is an early favorite of linebacker coach Jeff Choate and will join Lucas Lovejoy's Payton Pierce as the top in-state priorities at the position considering the Horns likely won't use as many spots on off-ball linebacker in the 2024 cycle.

I spoke with a longtime source in southeast Texas who believed that while it's early of the schools that have offered Texas and LSU are in the best spot currently. Alabama, Texas A&M, and Oregon have all been in contact since September 1st, but have not offered yet.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks had this to say about Smith in his scouting report.

"Size and athleticism unverified, but tape is encouraging in both regards. Looks lean, athletic, and fairly long on the hoof.

Plays hard with a consistent motor. Productive sophomore season. Shows impressive pursuit range and accompanying closing juice. Not a liability in space with functional athleticism to match up with skill players.

Adding mass and strength will boost arriving impact and foster more consistent disengaging from second-level antagonists.

Limited but valuable short-yardage touches check the two-way box, prevalent in long-term linebacker projections. Through sophomore season, looks like a bona fide Power Five-caliber linebacker prospect with developmental upside."

— Last night former five-star athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders put together the best single-game receiving performance for a Texas tight end since Jermichael Finley in 2007 with his 6 receptions for 85 yards and one touchdown in the Horns 52-10 beat down of ULM. While we reported all offseason that Sanders was one of the best performers consistently in practice, it's another thing for that to directly translate to the field immediately.

Sanders' emergence as one of the Longhorns' best playmakers on offense and one of Quinn Ewers more trusted weapons couldn't come at a better time as Texas is scheduled to host five-star Phoenix (Arizona) Pinnacle TE Duce Robinson on an official visit for the Alabama game. Steve Sarkisian's reputation as a play caller and the Arch Manning effect are two major data points that led to Robinson's scheduled visit, but if the Horns can add to that with a featured role for five-star talent at tight end and a well-rounded baseball recruiting pitch for the two-sport star it could be enough to make up ground on USC's longtime lead.

— Lastly, when asking around for takeaways from recruits about the Texas week one performance some of the consensus feedback I received was how many freshmen started or got rotation snaps for the Longhorns. Kelvin Banks, Cole Hutson, and Jaylon Guilbeau starting along with standout performances from Ethan Burke, Justice Finkley, and Jmond Tapp among others caught a few recruit's eyes in regards to Steve Sarkisian's willingness to start the best man for the job regardless of seniority. One highly ranked prospect said "it's one thing for coaches to say that they're going to let the best man win but Sark actually means it." The vast majority of recruits I messaged about the game weren't watching or even following on social media which will surely change as the eyes of the college football world focus on the Forty Acres for the Alabama game in six days.

Oh I know why recruits weren't watching. Fucking LHN. I can't wait it for to be transformed into something else once Texas joins the SEC. Then hopefully we don't have to put up with the shithead known as Lowell Galindo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Oh I know why recruits weren't watching. Fucking LHN. I can't wait it for to be transformed into something else once Texas joins the SEC. Then hopefully we don't have to put up with the shithead known as Lowell Galindo.

That's part of it, but they either weren't watching any games at all or they were watching tOSU v ND or Utah v UF.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Someone start a collective to give every recruit a 6 month sling subscription

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I was thinking last night with Louisville and that loss is owens would start having some rumblings but after seeing some Baxter highlights this year, he’s certainly nothing to be upset about at all. 

Didn't Owens get a Louisville tattoo?  That wouldn't age well if he started getting cold feet.

6 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

*We haven't had good tight ends in 15 years (other than Blaine Irby with two functional knees)*

Somebody was talking recently about athleticism (or elite measurables) at the position re Robinson. Weren’t Irby’s numbers off the charts coming out of hs?

Btw, his was the second ugliest injury I’ve witnessed (smu’s rb had his femur snapped in a shitty bowl game I was at about a decade ago). I was surprised he made it back on the field two or three years later. Wasn’t he the recipient of Shipley’s trick play td pass vs a&m? Had to be devastating losing to Shipley’s arm and McCoy’s legs..

36 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Somebody was talking recently about athleticism (or elite measurables) at the position re Robinson. Weren’t Irby’s numbers off the charts coming out of hs?

Btw, his was the second ugliest injury I’ve witnessed (smu’s rb had his femur snapped in a shitty bowl game I was at about a decade ago). I was surprised he made it back on the field two or three years later. Wasn’t he the recipient of Shipley’s trick play td pass vs a&m? Had to be devastating losing to Shipley’s arm and McCoy’s legs..

He was. He was a TA for a PE class I took senior year. Great guy.

Gerry Hamilton: Early look at the massive recruiting weekend

The Texas Longhorns football and basketball programs have massive recruiting weekends with Alabama coming to Austin. The huge weekend of official and unofficial visitors includes a 5-star tight end, the top uncommitted receiver on the board, a 4-star EDGE prospect and two of the top guards in the 2023 cycle. Inside Texas takes a closer look at the big time visitor weekend with an atmosphere that will be off the charts Saturday.

Football official visitors

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle

The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder will make his way to Austin this weekend for a first official visit of the fall. The USC lean has trips scheduled to Georgia (Sept. 24) and Alabama (Oct. 8). The Trojans face serious competition to keep Robinson on the West Coast. Texas recruitment of Robinson is being led by tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)

The Longhorns will host Hale coming off an official visit to Alabama over the weekend. What was a two team race for Hale, is now three. Texas A&M will receive an official visit September 17 with a decision scheduled for September 21. The Longhorns have been in a solid position since late June, but the competition is fierce on this one with the Crimson Tide receiving two visits since the last weekend in July. And the Aggies officially entering the race late in July.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

The On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE prospect will be in Austin with his family for an official visit. Akana’s sister, Keonilei Akana, is a member of the No. 1 ranked Texas volleyball team that plays Friday night. The Longhorns will be the first fall official visit for the EDGE prospect with a relentless motor. He is scheduled to make visits to LSU (Oct. 7), Oklahoma (Oct. 14) and Texas A&M (Nov. 4).

2024 prospect visitor list

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 361
Note: Has been on campus multiple times in the last year.

J’Koby Williams, RB, Beckville (Texas)

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 337
Texas offered: March 30, 2022

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 9

The Longhorns offered January 14. This will be the second unofficial visit since June by the No. 3 Consensus No. 9 ranked prospect overall.

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 343
Texas offered: June 16, 2022

Hunter Moddon, WR, Houston (Texas) Clear Lake – #AllGasNoBrakes

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 129
Texas offered: January 22, 2022

Michael Uini, OT, Copperas Cove (Texas)

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 53
Texas offered: June 10, 2022. Uini camped at Texas June 11.

Ory Williams, OT, Buda (Texas) San Marcos – maybe

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 274
Texas offered: April 16, 2022

Daniel Cruz, OL, Fort Worth (Texas) Richland Hills

The 6-foot-3.5, 299-pounder is the top interior offensive line prospect on the board in the 2024 cycle. Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood offered Cruz on June 11, 2022 after a standout camp performance working at center.

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 41
Texas offered: October 13, 2021

Payton Pierce, LB, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 128
Texas offered: February 1, 2022

Corian Gipson, S, Lancaster (Texas)

Texas offered January 22. Texas Director of High School relations Chris Gilbert is very key in this recruitment. Gilbert was the head coach at Lancaster High prior to accepting the job with Texas.

David Kabongo, S, Trophy Club (Texas) Byron Nelson

On3 Consensus ranking: N/R
Texas offered: June 11, 2022

Derrick McFall, ATH, Tyler (Texas) High

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 83
Texas offered: September 20, 2021

Jaden Allen, ATH, Aledo (Texas) High – #AllGasNoBrakes

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 75
Texas commitment since: December 29, 2021
2025 visitor list

Landon Rink, EDGE, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

Basketball official visitors

A.J. Johnson, PG, Woodland Hills (Calif.) Donda Academy

The On3 Consensus 5-star prospect will be in Austin this weekend with key members of his circle, which includes Houston Rockets guard Jalen Green. Texas is the first official visit for the 6-foot-4.5 playmaker that doesn’t turn 18 until December. USC is scheduled for Sept. 10, and LSU Sept. 17. Louisville and N.C. State are possibilities for the final two official visits. The Longhorns and Tigers are considered the favorites headed into official visits.

Andrej Stojakovic, G/W, Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit

The 6-foot-6 playmaking guard will be in Austin this weekend for an official visit. He will be accompanied by his father, Peja Stojakovic. Headed into the visit, the Longhorns are in the top 2 along with UCLA. Stanford is likely running third with Oregon and Virginia in the mix. The Ducks will receive an official visit September 17. The No. 21 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus made June officials to UCLA and Stanford.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I was thinking last night with Louisville and that loss is owens would start having some rumblings but after seeing some Baxter highlights this year, he’s certainly nothing to be upset about at all. 

Rumblings would be fan fiction. Anyone thinking his recruitment has anything to do with Louisville’s ability to win football games is being obtuse. A higher bidder would be the only way his recruitment changes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I guess it don’t fully understand bringing in a ton of kids for the Bama game. Are we going to pull the aggy line of “You are the key to winning this next year!” A game everyone expects you to lose by 3 scores just seems odd. Especially for a kid like Hale that is considering both teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You bring them in, because some of them might not have made it otherwise. But at a minimum, they get to experience college game day and what should be a cool atmosphere, even if it is a 11am kick.

And for a guy like Robinson, he may see Sanders go off again, and decide he’s a good fit here for the offense, even if we get get stomped on the scoreboard.

Dont forget all the OL that visited for the KU game last year; that seemed to workout ok.  

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

I guess it don’t fully understand bringing in a ton of kids for the Bama game. Are we going to pull the aggy line of “You are the key to winning this next year!” A game everyone expects you to lose by 3 scores just seems odd. Especially for a kid like Hale that is considering both teams. 

Yes. It's not just aggy who does that.

Best atmosphere of the season, sell them on playing time and generally being on the upswing.

• Hook 'Em 6

38 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

You bring them in, because some of them might not have made it otherwise. But at a minimum, they get to experience college game day and what should be a cool atmosphere, even if it is a 11am kick.

And for a guy like Robinson, he may see Sanders go off again, and decide he’s a good fit here for the offense, even if we get get stomped on the scoreboard.

Dont forget all the OL that visited for the KU game last year; that seemed to workout ok.  

It worked out, but for a completely different reason. It worked out because the OL recruits saw how shitty the current OL was and correctly believed that they could come in to compete for playing time immediately. It's not the same situation at the TE position. However, the argument can be made that the coaching staff awards playing time on the basis of merit and not seniority. 

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, Big_kat said:

You bring them in, because we are not big gaping pussies that cry and cower in the corner at the mere thought of playing Alabama. 

We are going to show up and expect to win the fucking game.

And so you show the recruits an amazing gameday atmosphere, all of the perks and privileges of a big time game between two blue blood schools, and a hungry team that will compete for championships.

• Hook 'Em 7

It’s not without risk, but it’s Sark’s best play. Recruits want to come to that game. If we tell them no because we think we’re going to get beat, that’s a big red flag to them.

If we can keep it competitive, it’ll be fine. If we get curbstomped and the place is dead by the 3rd quarter, that’s gonna hurt. But again, there’s no other play here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

WR Kyle Parker has been talking with the staff recently. Transfers are what I would be most interested in poaching. Harold Perkins anyone? 

I don't think Kyle Parker moves the needle much. He is one of their lowest rated recruits. Jalen Brown would. Shelton Sampson would. All of their EDs would. Mickens, Howard, and Heard would.

45 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

WR Kyle Parker has been talking with the staff recently. Transfers are what I would be most interested in poaching. Harold Perkins anyone? 

The guy who had the special teams personal foul last night in crunch time? Kelly apparently evaluated him for his elite skillset at that spot and apparently was wrong.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Sold out game.  College game day 101K should be loud and lit. If we compete. Don’t give up. Show flashes. It’s gonna pay huge. If we come out like scared pussies it could back fire but this ain’t horseshoes mother fuckers. We are in it to win and build the brand. 

Agree.

Also, it's not like we can make Alabama's recruiting any better. It's a demonstration of what big time football can be here at Texas. If we play with maximum effort then it's going to be quite a show.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't think Kyle Parker moves the needle much. He is one of their lowest rated recruits. Jalen Brown would. Shelton Sampson would. All of their EDs would. Mickens, Howard, and Heard would.

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The guy who had the special teams personal foul last night in crunch time? Kelly apparently evaluated him for his elite skillset at that spot and apparently was wrong.. 

Since we're praying for the football gods to fuck LSU this season (and hopefully the next one and the next one and the next one, etc.), let's take a proper look at their current commitment list: https://www.on3.com/college/lsu-tigers/football/2023/commits/

For me, #1 on the poaching wishlist should be Zalance Heard. Can never have enough good linemen and Zalance Heard might actually end up being a badass DT.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Since we're praying for the football gods to fuck LSU this season (and hopefully the next one and the next one and the next one, etc.), let's take a proper look at their current commitment list: https://www.on3.com/college/lsu-tigers/football/2023/commits/

For me, #1 on the poaching wishlist should be Zalance Heard. Can never have enough good linemen and Zalance Heard might actually end up being a badass DT.

Heard is a guy we stopped pursuing when Payton Kirkland committed. Not sure we would circle back unless there was a decommit somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Hard pass-that guy was the most narcissistic recruit I think I’ve ever seen; anyone filming themselves laughing at our futility from the stands and posting about it on social media doesn’t have the base level of respect for their opportunity I expect out of our student athletes.  I don’t care how hard he clowned on Aggie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Hard pass-that guy was the most narcissistic recruit I think I’ve ever seen; anyone filming themselves laughing at our futility from the stands and posting about it on social media doesn’t have the base level of respect for their opportunity I expect out of our student athletes.  I don’t care how hard he clowned on Aggie.  

Did you forget Cook recording our trophies, now everything is copacetic 

Edited by Michael Knight

28 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Cam Williams was right beside him in that video. And who gives a rip? We're not yet in a position to turn away elite players.