Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Hard pass-that guy was the most narcissistic recruit I think I’ve ever seen; anyone filming themselves laughing at our futility from the stands and posting about it on social media doesn’t have the base level of respect for their opportunity I expect out of our student athletes.  I don’t care how hard he clowned on Aggie.  

Look that was me and I’m just tired of losing, okay?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man that’s wild. T Brock looked like pretty much a sure thing tackle. Just continues to show how hard OL evals are.

He had shoulder surgery in HS. Any one that follows shoulder injuries and OL, they are not a sure thing to recovery to their previous level of play. The center was never going to play at Alabama.

The hilarious part, with Alabama only allowed to travel 65 for road games, it's likely neither are on the travel roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

23-341-3 doesn't "move the needle much" lol

I like our committed class, but if we end up with Kyle Parker, that would move my needle quite a bit. 

I think this guy is about 4 inches taller and has better speed and better hands.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Did he visit this past weekend?

That was from a January visit. 

Warren Roberson talks offer from the Texas Longhorns

Gerry Hamilton•about 12 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

4-star DB Warren Roberson. (On3)

Warren Roberson is the first senior season offer in the 2023 cycle by the Texas Longhorns.

Texas assistants were at the Red Oak High game Friday to specifically watch the 6-foot, 190-pound playmaking safety and receiver. And on Sunday, Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian made the offer.

“Coach Sark FaceTime with me,” Roberson told Inside Texas. “He said they were going to offer me. We were talking about my game and stuff, and that’s about it. He basically said they want me, and just come to Texas.”

The No. 150 ranked prospect in the On300 was surprised by the offer considering Texas didn’t offer at a junior day, and then after coming to Red Oak to watch him in the spring.

“I knew they were coming to the game Friday. I never had communication with the staff until Coach Sark offered me.”

The Longhorns are wasting zero time working to get Roberson on campus. And that will be this weekend for the Alabama game.

“Yes, they want me to come down for the game Saturday. I’m probably going to go for sure.”

Roberson reassessing his recruitment

Roberson has been considered a lean to USC over Oklahoma State, TCU, SMU and Florida for weeks. Prior to the Texas offer.

“I don’t know yet (what the Texas offer means). I’m trying to figure out. There is a lot stuff going on with my recruitment right now. I have kid of been taking a look at everything before Texas offered.”

Roberson was a star player for Red Oak as a junior in all three phases of the game. He picked off four passes, and hauled in 41 passes for 688 yards and 6 TD’s. He added 337 kick return yards.

Through two games this season, he has one interception, and seven catches for 178 yards and 3 TD’s.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Anybody have a list of attendees for this weekend yet? 

I'll see if I can find a list....it might be a bit outdated as some visitors could have been added. 

Texas Longhorns: Early look at the massive recruiting weekend

Gerry Hamilton•09/04/22

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(Chad Simmons/On3)

The Texas Longhorns football and basketball programs have massive recruiting weekends with Alabama coming to Austin.

The huge weekend of official and unofficial visitors includes a 5-star tight end, the top uncommitted receiver on the board, a 4-star EDGE prospect and two of the top guards in the 2023 cycle.

Inside Texas takes a closer look at the big time visitor weekend with an atmosphere that will be off the charts Saturday.

Football official visitors

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle

The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder will make his way to Austin this weekend for a first official visit of the fall. The USC lean has trips scheduled to Georgia (Sept. 24) and Alabama (Oct. 8). The Trojans face serious competition to keep Robinson on the West Coast. Texas recruitment of Robinson is being led by tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)

The Longhorns will host Hale coming off an official visit to Alabama over the weekend. What was a two team race for Hale, is now three. Texas A&M will receive an official visit September 17 with a decision scheduled for September 21. The Longhorns have been in a solid position since late June, but the competition is fierce on this one with the Crimson Tide receiving two visits since the last weekend in July. And the Aggies officially entering the race late in July.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

The On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE prospect will be in Austin with his family for an official visit. Akana’s sister, Keonilei Akana, is a member of the No. 1 ranked Texas volleyball team that plays Friday night. The Longhorns will be the first fall official visit for the EDGE prospect with a relentless motor. He is scheduled to make visits to LSU (Oct. 7), Oklahoma (Oct. 14) and Texas A&M (Nov. 4).

2024 prospect visitor list

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 361
Note: Has been on campus multiple times in the last year.

J’Koby Williams, RB, Beckville (Texas)

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 337
Texas offered: March 30, 2022

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 9

The Longhorns offered January 14. This will be the second unofficial visit since June by the No. 3 Consensus No. 9 ranked prospect overall.

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 343
Texas offered: June 16, 2022

Hunter Moddon, WR, Houston (Texas) Clear Lake – #AllGasNoBrakes

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 129
Texas offered: January 22, 2022

Michael Uini, OT, Copperas Cove (Texas)

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 53
Texas offered: June 10, 2022. Uini camped at Texas June 11.

Ory Williams, OT, Buda (Texas) San Marcos – maybe

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 274
Texas offered: April 16, 2022

Daniel Cruz, OL, Fort Worth (Texas) Richland Hills

The 6-foot-3.5, 299-pounder is the top interior offensive line prospect on the board in the 2024 cycle. Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood offered Cruz on June 11, 2022 after a standout camp performance working at center. 

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 41
Texas offered: October 13, 2021

Payton Pierce, LB, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 128
Texas offered: February 1, 2022

Corian Gipson, S, Lancaster (Texas)

Texas offered January 22. Texas Director of High School relations Chris Gilbert is very key in this recruitment. Gilbert was the head coach at Lancaster High prior to accepting the job with Texas.

David Kabongo, S, Trophy Club (Texas) Byron Nelson

On3 Consensus ranking: N/R
Texas offered: June 11, 2022

Derrick McFall, ATH, Tyler (Texas) High

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 83
Texas offered: September 20, 2021

Jaden Allen, ATH, Aledo (Texas) High – #AllGasNoBrakes

On3 Consensus ranking: No. 75
Texas commitment since: December 29, 2021

2025 visitor list

Landon Rink, EDGE, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

Basketball official visitors

A.J. Johnson, PG, Woodland Hills (Calif.) Donda Academy

The On3 Consensus 5-star prospect will be in Austin this weekend with key members of his circle, which includes Houston Rockets guard Jalen Green. Texas is the first official visit for the 6-foot-4.5 playmaker that doesn’t turn 18 until December. USC is scheduled for Sept. 10, and LSU Sept. 17. Louisville and N.C. State are possibilities for the final two official visits. The Longhorns and Tigers are considered the favorites headed into official visits.

Andrej Stojakovic, G/W, Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit

The 6-foot-6 playmaking guard will be in Austin this weekend for an official visit. He will be accompanied by his father, Peja Stojakovic. Headed into the visit, the Longhorns are in the top 2 along with UCLA. Stanford is likely running third with Oregon and Virginia in the mix. The Ducks will receive an official visit September 17. The No. 21 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus made June officials to UCLA and Stanford.

image.thumb.png.c5b905bcbf7710053e2f873591a21507.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think this guy is about 4 inches taller and has better speed and better hands.

Yes, I know who Jalen Brown is, thanks. I don't know how this is some sort of rebuttal, though. It certainly doesn't diminish Kyle Parker as a prospect. They're also starkly different and would profile to different WR spots.

I think it's mostly clear whom Texas could have a shot with if LSU continues to shit the bed. Jalen Brown isn't one of them and the staff wont waste their time there. 

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yes, I know who Jalen Brown is, thanks. I don't know how this is some sort of rebuttal, though. It certainly doesn't diminish Kyle Parker as a prospect. They're also starkly different and would profile to different WR spots.

I think it's mostly clear whom Texas could have a shot with if LSU continues to shit the bed. Jalen Brown isn't one of them and the staff wont waste their time there. 

From reading IT sounds like Texas is in constant communication with Parker. 

13 hours ago, Atticus said:

It's called having bases covered. Its always good to maintain relationships and communication

we were burned by the Charlie Strong and Tom Herman process of "oh shit, a main target is trending elsewhere, guess we better make an offer to someone who is making their decision in 2 days and has never visited or hasn't visited since junior day!"

Edited by NoName

BobbyBurton

Staff member

Today at 9:17 AM

New

Add bookmark

Yes, there’s a big game coming to town.

But yesterday proves that the beat goes on regardless.

What do I mean?

Texas offered Red Oak athlete (safety and wide receiver) Warren Roberson a scholarship yesterday. It was the first new 2023 in-state scholarship offer based on a senior evaluation.

And it serves as a reminder that while most people only see the crazy sideshow of College Game Day set to arrive in Austin above the surface, below it the Texas football staff is still doing what they’re supposed to do.

As Gerry and Justin reported last night, Roberson is set to visit Austin this weekend for the Bama game. He is currently an overwhelming “lean” to USC with an RPM for the Trojans at 97-percent.

Perhaps that 97-percent figure changes this weekend.

This is actually a big recruiting week for the Horns.

Not only are there multiple blue-chip official visitors set to come into town, there are an untold number of unofficial visits set to happen, too.

Word to the wise. Expect a surprise or two in the stands on Saturday.

We are already hearing of one possibility and think there will likely be more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Maybe, but if we want to beat Bama, LSU, and Georgia, we need to have comparable talent. I would put Parker in the Deon Beasley/Ryan Palmer group not in the elite group.

• Like 2