Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

The entire IT staff is high on Jaden Greathouse as a prospect. They think he can be a Day 1 replacement for Jordan Whittington as go-to big slot WR similar to Lil' Jordan Humphrey. Nahlin's response when a poster asked about how does Greathouse fits in with Sark's preference for speed at WR:

DEXFcsI.png.8ec886d478e14359e42d5f3f41b00d1f.png

Well, if Nahlin says it…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Need speed at slot WR. I don't think Greathouse has that. But then again, I'm just a Surly asshole.

We don't use speed in the slot now. Everything Whittington does is off of a curl or long drag. He's not running go routes, and Greathouse could very capably fill that role. That said, I don't think we would see him there as a freshman. More likely they use a transfer, Red, or more 2 TE sets next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Doesn’t sark get that big body wr in the slot effect from his tight ends? So if the guy is a mismatch because of his size like lilJ then that might not offer something the TEs already provide to the scheme.

It's not like Jordan Whittington is a twitchy burner, especially after the injuries and bulking.   Greathouse will be a good replacement for him, perhaps an upgrade if we're honest.

A smaller guy I thought would be a great slot prospect in LV Bunkley Shelton hasn't done shit, including now at OU, just one example but there's no reason not to like the mismatch approach to evaluation

Jaden is a great culture fit and the kid is competitive as fuck. He’s an above average athlete, just not of the twitchy nature. Being able to have his level of body control and strength at his size is nothing to take for granted. 
Hard working, well-grounded kid too. We could do a lot worse at the position.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think I was listening to Justin Wells on a podcast yesterday and to paraphrase he was saying “sure he’s not the fastest or most athletic but he is just a winner”.  I’m not buying whatever he was selling. 

It worked for LJH and not really for anyone else in the Herman WR mold.

38 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I like Greathouse as a TE at the next level. Definitely prefer a fast twitch burner at slot and I'm guessing Sark does too but Whitt is our best option at that position currently.

This. He would be lethal as an H-Back Demitri Flowers type of dude. I am surprised Riley hasn't been all over the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The Westlake honks have arrived

Har har. I checked out his junior film when we were interested before and I’ve seen some of him playing basketball too. I get the TE stuff, but that’s not where his body is yet 

I’d take him over Pilot, given the chance

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Whittington was originally going to play running back and had to move due to his hernia surgery so he didn't take so much punishment. I am not giving Herman credit for that one. 

Almost certain he switched from WR to RB because we had such a shitty, injured, empty RB room going into his frosh yr. 

I guess the silver lining on that RB situation is it also begot RoJo moving to RB

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

LJH and Collin Johnson were both Strong's guys. Herman just inherited them. Every WR that Herman landed was trash.  

There are a few in the mold who he did not land that are actually playing good football. Johnny Wilson, Rome Odunze and Elijah Higgins have all gone over 1k career receiving yards as WRs.  It's the ones that he did land that were busts.

49 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This. He would be lethal as an H-Back Demitri Flowers type of dude. I am surprised Riley hasn't been all over the guy. 

he's chasing bigger fish, literally, in Duce Robinson: https://247sports.com/Player/Duce-Robinson-46086662/

using their 247 reported height weight (lol) Robinson is 4" taller, 10ish lb heavier and has actually played TE while who knows if Greathouse even wants to transition to TE. i feel even more confident he does NOT want to transition to H back.

...plus Texas already has 2 TE in the class and is chasing Robinson as well.

12 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Almost certain he switched from WR to RB because we had such a shitty, injured, empty RB room going into his frosh yr. 

I guess the silver lining on that RB situation is it also begot RoJo moving to RB

It was a combination of shitty RB recruiting (misses on Cain/Sanders and only taking Derrian Brown) and Whittington going off in the playoffs essentially playing as a RB.

Fortunately, our only QB take that cycle turned into a badass at RB bc he was so bad at QB that it was mutually beneficial for such a quick move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Hard to pin that on Herman. Not like Garrett Wilson, Rondale Moore, or JSN have ever done anything productive in college. 

it's been made very clear Wilson never wanted to come to Texas.

Moore was committed to Texas for like 6 months before decommitting and going to Purdue. Texas still recruited him after he decommitted.

JSN was one of the biggest misses of Turtle Tom's time at Texas. just a monumental mistake in every part of it. the initial eval, the senior eval, the sell job of Texas, the position coach...all of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Vewy intwesting. I may go back and watch that game. 

Would you happen to know the number of the beast?

8.  The only Martin game I've seen this year was against Lake Travis and he was indeed a beast that night.  He can cover, run and tackle.  He also returns punts and kickoffs.  Oh yeah, he's also their punter.  A good friend of mine is very juiced into Martin Athletics and he thinks that JT is actually underrated. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Moore was committed to Texas for like 6 months before decommitting and going to Purdue. Texas still recruited him after he decommitted.

JSN was one of the biggest misses of Turtle Tom's time at Texas. just a monumental mistake in every part of it. the initial eval, the senior eval, the sell job of Texas, the position coach...all of it.

It’s still considered a recruiting miss if your WR coach is so awful that you were never under consideration. If Brendan Marion is the WR coach under Sark’s offense I bet Wilson gives Texas a long look. 

16 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

IT reported this on 247 composite high 4-star LSU commit WR Jalen Brown:

Reveal hidden contents

Jalen Brown, WR, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep – LSU commit

The Longhorns continue to be in contact with the LSU verbal. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder with 10.65 100 meter speed is in contact with Brennan Marion, and could take a visit for the TCU or Baylor game. It’s just a discussion right now. Brown has already been to the state of Texas once this season, making an official visit to Texas A&M on September 17th weekend. Brown has family in the Austin area, and the immediate family continues to be intrigued by the business school at Texas. Inside Texas will continue to monitor Brown to see if/when an official visit gets set up. 

Dark mode:

Spoiler

Jalen Brown, WR, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep – LSU commit

The Longhorns continue to be in contact with the LSU verbal. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder with 10.65 100 meter speed is in contact with Brennan Marion, and could take a visit for the TCU or Baylor game. It’s just a discussion right now. Brown has already been to the state of Texas once this season, making an official visit to Texas A&M on September 17th weekend. Brown has family in the Austin area, and the immediate family continues to be intrigued by the business school at Texas. Inside Texas will continue to monitor Brown to see if/when an official visit gets set up. 

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-brown-46085480/

Edited by TXRed
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Whittington was originally going to play running back and had to move due to his hernia surgery so he didn't take so much punishment. I am not giving Herman credit for that one. 

47 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Yeah, IIRC Whittington was recruited here as a WR and only switched to RB because accomplished CFB HCs Tom Herman and Stan Drayton managed the RB room so poorly that we didn’t have any actual RBs available to play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, NoName said:

My favorite part of the Moore recruitment was when the hipster from 247 traveled to Kentucky to see Moore play in person - only to be disappointed and decide that Moore was a bad take.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

My favorite part of the Moore recruitment was when the hipster from 247 traveled to Kentucky to see Moore play in person only to be disappointed and decide that Moore was a bad take.

EJ's trip to Kentucky was by far his most entertaining work. Bitching about Spirit Airlines, and getting Rondale Moore completely, ass backward wrong was solid gold. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

If we miss on Robinson, id rather have Pimpton than Greathouse.

It doesn't matter because they're not being recruited at the same spot. Duce Robinson & Pimpton are being recruited as the 3rd TE in the class, while Greathouse is being recruited as a slot WR replacement for Jordan Whittington.

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

It doesn't matter because they're not being recruited at the same spot. Duce Robinson & Pimpton are being recruited as the 3rd TE in the class, while Greathouse is being recruited as a slot WR replacement for Jordan Whittington.

And you know this how? Greathouse is already bigger than Whitt based on his listed height/weight. Do you think he's going to stay at the same playing size after being in a college s&c program?

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let’s be fair, he tried to get Wilson, moore, Johnston, and waddle. Couldn’t get it done. But he didnt ignore them like he did the others listed. 

so two modes of failure. 

He actually ID'ed Moore pretty early and got him committed. Moore just ultimately chose to stay close to home (plus Jeff Brohm was an alumn of his HS, so he had an in), I blame Herman less on this one than I do the others.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Har har. I checked out his junior film when we were interested before and I’ve seen some of him playing basketball too. I get the TE stuff, but that’s not where his body is yet 

I’d take him over Pilot, given the chance

He's not going to be a TE. It looked like maybe that was the case a year or two ago, but the way he has developed, he's gonna be a big WR and that's fine.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There are a few in the mold who he did not land that are actually playing good football. Johnny Wilson, Rome Odunze and Elijah Higgins have all gone over 1k career receiving yards as WRs.  It's the ones that he did land that were busts.

There are plenty of good big possession WRs in college football. The way this board reacts to those types has become silly. Just because Herman sucked at recruiting that type, doesn't mean they all suck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

5 minutes ago, elguapo said:

And you know this how? Greathouse is already bigger than Whitt based on his listed height/weight. Do you think he's going to stay at the same playing size after being in a college s&c program?

Big slot WR is how IT has always reported throughout this year what UT's intention for Greathouse is.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Greathouse is intriguing because of his potential versatility in the offense. I can easily see him being a swiss army knife that Sark can use across multiple spots to put the defense in conflict.

If he can pull it off that level of versatility is hard to find.

Would be the new RoJo? We will miss him big time.