Jevan Snead has died

Machinator

https://www.hookem.com/story/austin-police-investigating-overnight-death-former-ole-miss-texas-quarterback-jevan-snead/

Austin police are investigating the overnight death of former Texas and Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead, but police were releasing few details about his death Sunday.

Multiple officials confirmed the death, which initially does not appear to be the result of foul play. A source close to the family in Snead’s hometown of Stephenville also confirmed the death, which occurred in Austin.

Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services officials said authorities responded to a call at 9:08 p.m. Saturday for assistance to enter a locked apartment or car in the 1200 block of South Congress Avenue. Medics went to the scene for what officials described as “an obvious DOS” (dead on scene).

According to Snead’s LinkedIn profile, he was working in Austin recently. He was 32.

“Very sad day with news of the passing of former Texas QB Jevan Snead,” UT officials posted on the school’s football Twitter account. “Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends during this difficult time.”

Snead was ranked the second-best dual-threat quarterback in the nation when he first committed to Florida but flipped to Texas on Nov. 13, 2005. It was a major recruiting coup for then-Texas coach Mack Brown.

Snead was ranked 11th on the American-Statesman’s Fab 55 and considered the program’s biggest quarterback recruit since Vince Young.

“I’ve talked with the coaches and they said that if Young leaves, I’ll get the chance to compete for a starting spot,” Snead told the Statesman in January 2006.

Snead enrolled that month so he could get a jumpstart on learning the offense. Another quarterback, a redshirt freshman named Colt McCoy, had eyes on taking over for Young, too. “Whoever is starting, we’re going to be very good,” Snead said during his first preseason camp.

Both quarterbacks ran a zone-read, shotgun-style offense in high school. On Monday before the 2006 season opener against North Texas, Brown named McCoy the starter.

Snead would appear in eight games his freshman season as McCoy’s career took off. Snead’s best game at Texas would come against Kansas State. He completed 13 of 30 passes for 190 yards and threw one touchdown in a 45-42 loss in Manhattan. The only reason he played was because McCoy felt pain in his shoulder on the opening possession.

On Nov. 30, 2006, the Statesman reported that Snead asked Brown for permission to transfer, although Snead wasn’t sure where he would go. Brown told Snead to sleep on it. Eventually, Snead announced he was transferring to Mississippi. McCoy would become one of the best quarterbacks ever at UT.

Snead went to Ole Miss and, after sitting out the 2007 season, won the starting job in 2008. He threw for 2,762 yards and 26 touchdowns as a sophomore. Snead enjoyed a similar season in 2009, throwing for 2,632 yards and 20 touchdowns. Still, he was viewed as too inconsistent.

The Rebels went 18-8 in those two years combined under coach Houston Nutt and won two Cotton Bowls, beating Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

Snead still had one more year of eligibility left and was told by the NFL draft advisory board to go back to school. Still, Snead went pro in 2010 and was not drafted. He was signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent but got cut.

“It didn’t go exactly the way I had hoped, but I’m here now. I’m here to make the best of it,” Snead told the Associated Press in late April 2010. He never appeared in an NFL game.

In 2011, Snead signed a contract to play with Tampa Bay’s arena football team but was later released.

Sad to see any young person go too soon for any reason. RIP Jevan.

I will also take this moment to say we never know when out time is going to be up.  Tell the people you love, that you love them as often as you can. Wake up with a smile and not a frown, then simply be nice to people throughout your day.  It's a simple way to find and give happiness with your life.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

The people on the SEC board seem to have an inside scoop that it is a suicide. I always get such a cold, empty feeling when I read about a young person taking their own life. Every large and small kindness we can share with someone just might make the difference in helping them get through that day. I wish I always remembered that. 

Had a close friend of mine who killed himself in his birthday. I had chatted with him earlier that day. Still haunts me. I can only imagine the immense grief his family is going through. 

• Like 2

Man, this is terrible. Since he didn’t play in the league and I didn’t follow him as a Rebel, my only memories of him is the excitement of his promise in the burnt orange. In another time he could be been a really good player for us. Just unfortunate to have come into college with a less touted buzz saw in McCoy.
Hard to know what goes on in the lives of young people that makes them think this is their best option. It’s a testament to the power of depression.
Best of wishes and thoughts for his parents and loved ones.
RIP Jevan Snead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, JFKFC said:

The people on the SEC board seem to have an inside scoop that it is a suicide. I always get such a cold, empty feeling when I read about a young person taking their own life. Every large and small kindness we can share with someone just might make the difference in helping them get through that day. I wish I always remembered that. 

I can corroborate this. I have a friend in the AFD who provided the details, how he was found and whatnot. I'm not going to post that shit here though.

• Like 1

Just saw this. I’m in shock.

I’d suspect I’m one of many who saw Jevan as being the heir apparent to Vince. Colt had other ideas. Jevan took it gracefully and played well when given the opportunity. It just wasn’t meant to be for him at Texas.

Tragic. And horrifying. *If* it’s suicide just all the more upsetting. My son had a good friend take his own life earlier this summer. All-American boy. Smart, attractive, talented, athletic and kind to everyone he met. He appeared to have had a good grasp of what he wanted in life and was on track to accomplish it. The kid every parent would love to claim. Something told him life would be easier on the other side. We’re still getting over it. We never will completely.

Rest well, young Jevan. I pray you are in a good place and at peace. Hook ‘em.

• Like 1

In lieu of flowers, the family would like to ask you to donate money for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy  Research  and to his beloved hometown Stephenville Yellow Jackets football program to purchase state of the art football helmets to help protect future Yellow Jackets from brain injury.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

In lieu of flowers, the family would like to ask you to donate money for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy  Research  and to his beloved hometown Stephenville Yellow Jackets football program to purchase state of the art football helmets to help protect future Yellow Jackets from brain injury.

where’d you get this

Edited by futureman

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

When hosting a go fund me in memory of a person, it's always a good idea if you don't get his first name wrong. 

I assumed “jaylon” is his dad or something and was acting as beneficiary.  also ridiculous to lay this on CTE not two days after he allegedly killed himself.