Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

15 minutes ago, Richter said:

Yes, lets keep things limited to UM, McRib selfies, network traffic graphs,  and thic dic claims.

6 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Bruh...

You let this thread devolve into a steaming pile of shit where those of us that only wanted to keep up with the  Meyer happening had to wade through hundreds of posts about shitty towns, guns, bbq, hamburgers, mexican food, thirsty mother fuckers harping on a female poster, and god knows what the fuck else we had to read, and you had no issue with any of it.

But NOW you are going to force the thread to stay on topic.

I get what you're saying, but seriously...

The other stuff is part of the culture here and it adds to the comedy of the thread. The other coaching talk is literally just a totally different topic. It's cleaned up now and guess what the open coaching search thread is now a thing and it's equally funny. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The issue with Campbell is not only recruiting. The requirements for success at Texas are different from the requirements of success at ISU. Going 8-3 consistently at ISU has people wanting to build a statue for you, going 9-2 consistently at Texas has people on flightaware looking for the next coach.

LOL it has literally been a whole ass decade since we had a season that good.

I would kill you and your mother for that consistency. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Bruh...

You let this thread devolve into a steaming pile of shit where those of us that only wanted to keep up with the  Meyer happening had to wade through hundreds of posts about shitty towns, guns, bbq, hamburgers, mexican food, thirsty mother fuckers harping on a female poster, and god knows what the fuck else we had to read, and you had no issue with any of it.

But NOW you are going to force the thread to stay on topic.

I get what you're saying, but seriously...

Situation is fluid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, immamac said:

The other stuff is part of the culture here and it adds to the comedy of the thread. The other coaching talk is literally just a totally different topic. It's cleaned up now and guess what the open coaching search thread is now a thing and it's equally funny. 

I wish The football team  had as good a culture as surly. We would be 14-0 every year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Charlie Strong never had a winning season, posted a couple top ten classes, and the transition class from him to Herman was ranked 25. Herman’s put up a couple top ten classes and will have a top 25 class in a year where it was openly expected he’d be fired after the OU loss.

Texas recruits itself well enough that Campbell, or anyone on decently stable footing, can recruit well enough. There’s zero reason Campbell couldn’t pull in top 10-15 classes his first couple years, and zero reason to think he wouldn’t be in Big 12 contention annually when pairing that with the talent on campus. And when winning, Texas recruits itself that much more. Positive feedback loop and all.

Zero reason? How about the fact he beats better teams sometimes but also finds ways to lose to lesser teams, which sounds familiar. 

He also has never beaten Iowa. Iowa State was 3-2 against Iowa the 5 years before Campbell. They're 0-4 under him.

Shit, thought this was the other thread. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The issue with Campbell is not only recruiting. The requirements for success at Texas are different from the requirements of success at ISU. Going 8-3 consistently at ISU has people wanting to build a statue for you, going 9-2 consistently at Texas has people on flightaware looking for the next coach.

I didn’t see imma’s post about keeping it to Urban until after that post, so I don’t want to get into it too much more here, suffice it to say I don’t think it’s a leap of logic to think Matt Campbell would end up with a better record at Texas than he’s had at ISU. He’s at a talent disadvantage at ISU for in probably half the games and almost never at a significant talent advantage. Texas plays two or three peers a year in that department.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, I got busy yesterday and ... wow. I skipped like 30 pages, so forgive me if I'm late on something, but I got to catch up offline in any event.

Urban Meyer really is unpredictable and a bit of a flake. If it's really health, I guess it's a case of "you don't know until you have to say so" kind of thing. He still hasn't communicated directly, so nothing would shock me, but it seems obvious it's over. 

There is a push-pull right now in terms of direction. I've asked repeatedly about the viability of Herman staying and no one is hedging internally anywhere that he's staying. I still think they will really fuck this up and keep him with all kinds of rationalizations. The money was there last year for him. The money was there in the spring for Shaka Smart. Both were rationalized into being kept.

Another direction is going to the "nobody ever got fired for hiring ..." premise, in which a shiny object of the P5 nature will be chased. To me, that could look a lot like the Perrin/Piece baseball debacle in which we wind up getting a whole bunch of HCs raises across the country. I'm betting that if Herman does get shitcanned, this is the circus we see and somehow wind up with a wet fart like PJ Fleck, who will crush an interview and get the admin's panties wet. Even worse, and I can't stomach this, Fat Patty gets moneywhipped with his 4 losing seasons in the last 5 years.

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

The NFL stuff that's been hinted at is cancer. It isn't Jeff Fisher. It also doesn't sound like it's happening, so whatever. 

As usual, it sounds like Texas is above the fray (in its own mind) and probably too good for a coordinator. Maybe an interested Venables would have a shot. Seems unlikely. 

I know this - the admin doesn't understand the dire state of the recruiting landscape if they get this wrong. They think they do, but they don't. They never have. 

This is why we need to think outside the box and completely change how contracts are written in college football! We need a sellable plan to the BMDs that we can buyoff Herman and his assistants, yet not cost much more than if we kept Herman. Herman has $18.75mn left for the final 3 years of his deal and a $15mn buyout.  

Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $1.5mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $1.5mn bonus if you beat OU, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $4.5mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $13mn and should make at least $5mn (win 10 games and beat OU or win conference).  We can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer EVERYTHING we offered Meyer like $3mn for assistants, complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward, etc. That way we have some institutional deniability and reason to fire without cause yet provide CDC and Hartzell some cover should the new assistant AD/new coach get caught stretching the limits by a completely neutered NCAA (i.e. we won't be punished byt the NCAA bc we will be doing what every $EC school does)

Coaches like Jamey Chadwell (who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and who makes just $375,000), Jeff Traylor (who makes a base of $800k at UTSA), or Bill Napier (who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette) would totally jump at this contract offer! They would just want the chance to be the UT coach, much less double or more their base salary and have a potential to make $5mn+ just for meeting expectations and up to $13mn in a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I guess everyone's definition of "funny" is different. To me, it sucked to have to read through 30 pages of bullshit every morning just to find the ~20 posts that were actually relevant to the thread. But it's your board, so whatevs.

It was great back in the olden days when we could have a main board discussion on a topic that included all of that bullshit but there was a parallel thread elsewhere that was kept to the actual facts of the discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, alphahorn said:

I"ll say it again, this is the chaos period it continues until there is official word from either UT or Meyer (well he's denied jobs before then taken them).  Urban or bust until then. I believe we have at the very least agreed in principle

I choose to believe you. I'm on board until we either retain fuckface or hire Matt Campbell. Til then it's still Urban Meyer for me. It's following the tOSU timeline in a way. I haven't ventured to look but has ESPN or Fox ran with this yet? 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I choose to believe you. I'm on board until we either retain fuckface or hire Matt Campbell. Til then it's still Urban Meyer for me. It's following the tOSU timeline in a way. I haven't ventured to look but has ESPN or Fox ran with this yet? 

ESPNU radio was talking about this morning.  I don't think FOX has, which is interesting. You think they'd be the first to boast they are keeping their guy, or maybe Urban probably said don't say a word either way.  Anyone know if Cowherd talk about this morning? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Zero reason? How about the fact he beats better teams sometimes but also finds ways to lose to lesser teams, which sounds familiar. 
He also has never beaten Iowa. Iowa State was 3-2 against Iowa the 5 years before Campbell. They're 0-4 under him.

Is Iowa a lesser team than Iowa State? Particularly early on in that window? I’m not sure I buy that wholesale. They don’t play many teams where Iowa State has the clearly better roster. You can point to recruiting as an issue, but they have no natural recruiting base and are a historical bottom dweller.

ISU was 20-42 in the five years pre-Campbell. He’d nearly matched that total (19) in three years and they’re 34-27 with him overall. They won the Big 12 round robin this year. The trajectory is pretty obvious.

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Texas recruits itself well enough that Campbell, or anyone on decently stable footing, can recruit well enough. There’s zero reason Campbell couldn’t pull in top 10-15 classes his first couple years, and zero reason to think he wouldn’t be in Big 12 contention annually when pairing that with the talent on campus. And when winning, Texas recruits itself that much more. Positive feedback loop and all.

I’d be happy with Campbell and we’d be a better team, but there’s not enough of a difference from him to Herman for the people writing the million dollar checks for the buyout. 
It’s Urban or bust for the money guys.  

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Is Iowa a lesser team than Iowa State? Particularly early on in that window? I’m not sure I buy that wholesale. They don’t play many teams where Iowa State has the clearly better roster. You can point to recruiting as an issue, but they have no natural recruiting base and are a historical bottom dweller.

ISU was 20-42 in the five years pre-Campbell. He’d nearly matched that total (19) in three years and they’re 34-27 with him overall. They won the Big 12 round robin this year. The trajectory is pretty obvious.

Agreed.  Iowa is also an extremely physical team and nothing like what Iowa State is built to play in the Big 12.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

In looking at his other hires, CDC isn’t chasing an up and comer. Matt Campbell isn’t the right fit. Will CDC be allowed to do his job? Probably not

Please. This one or the Herman thread.

56 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Y’all aren’t gonna like this, but I still haven’t heard anything on that thread. If the Urban stuff is really done, there’s a 0% chance there would be complete radio silence like this. It just doesn’t make sense to have key players celebrating yesterday morning and for it all to be blown up that night. I’m not gonna ping that thread but I’m gonna bother some other folks who may have some insight. Sorry if this deal doesn’t work out and I got people excited. 

Serious question.  If you're seeing literally nothing are you sure they haven't cut you out of the distribution?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

It is now.

You are not wrong - We are who we are - an historically relevant program who continually fucks up and must resort to gimmicks like Bevo Blvd instead of winning and even then winning in a totally shitty conference that we should have left decades ago. 

I'm kind of done - F Belmont .. I feel for the student athletes. They do get a good degree from a excellent public ivy that just doesn't care about football. It is what it is. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If someone went 90-20 without any conf titles or national titles, I guarantee they wouldn't be celebrated.

There would be some in there with that record for sure, unless he went 0-20 against OU (every year in the cotton bowl & Arlington)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Y’all aren’t gonna like this, but I still haven’t heard anything on that thread. If the Urban stuff is really done, there’s a 0% chance there would be complete radio silence like this. It just doesn’t make sense to have key players celebrating yesterday morning and for it all to be blown up that night. I’m not gonna ping that thread but I’m gonna bother some other folks who may have some insight. Sorry if this deal doesn’t work out and I got people excited. 

I think Urb had to be pissed about the leaks. He knows that he has poach coaches from tOSU. He is friends with those guys and Day. I'm sure the leaks and speculations pissed off Day. It had to have been a distraction to his staff and to the team. I'm sure Day made it known to Urban. 

So maybe this is all a long game for Texas to put the shit to bed. Leak out that the deal is dead. Take pressure off Urban, removes the speculation and distraction for the tOSU coaching staff and team, and allows CDC and Hartzell to have a come to Jesus meeting with the donors to tell them to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Or this is really all dead and we are batter wives looking into the mirror with two black eyes trying to convince ourselves and clinging onto hope that the relationship will survive and it will all turn out fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If someone went 90-20 without any conf titles 

That's almost statistically impossible to do. A consistent two-losses every year would put us in the B12 CCG probably 8 of 10 times, and we'd win a few.

You guys really trying to say you'd turn down a coach who would average two losses per year? 

1 minute ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Serious question.  If you're seeing literally nothing are you sure they haven't cut you out of the distribution?

Damn, you may have just triggered a Gob Bluth, “Hello Darkness, My Old Friend” thought into Caddox’ brain. 😂. That would suck, he already admitted he wasn’t quite in the high flyers’ club as the other texters. I know that’s what I would now think, thanks nunna yo.

11 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

ESPNU radio was talking about this morning.  I don't think FOX has, which is interesting. You think they'd be the first to boast they are keeping their guy, or maybe Urban probably said don't say a word either way.  Anyone know if Cowherd talk about this morning? 

Not to surprising on the ESPN front. But Fox still being mum on the whole situation is interesting indeed and from what I've seen Cowherd hasn't said anything bout it. 

46 minutes ago, victory88 said:

After the jokes on the Fox set, I could see this playing out and Meyer not wanting this to blow up while the guys he’s pushing for are currently coaching a team with title hopesX. 

It’s a reach forsure.  

Body language experts needed to break this down.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

If Mack had continued winning 9/10/11 per year instead of devolving into 4-5 losses per year, he'd still be here and we'd all be fine with it.

As memory serves, Mack had 1 losing season in 16 years at Texas. We somehow gave Charlie 3. 

Edited by Eggo

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

If Mack had continued winning 9/10/11 per year instead of devolving into 4-5 losses per year, he'd still be here and we'd all be fine with it.

Nobody was fine (at least on the fan sites) when he’d only lose 1-2 a year and one was a raping by OU. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

As memory serves, Mack had 1 losing season in 16 years at Texas. We somehow gave Charlie 3. 

Yeah. So what? We were talking about whether or not two losses per year would be considered a successful coach, because someone said we'd be running a 9-2 coach out of town. Which is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think Urb had to be pissed about the leaks. He knows that he has poach coaches from tOSU. He is friends with those guys and Day. I'm sure the leaks and speculations pissed off Day. It had to have been a distraction to his staff and to the team. I'm sure Day made it known to Urban. 

So maybe this is all a long game for Texas to put the shit to bed. Leak out that the deal is dead. Take pressure off Urban, removes the speculation and distraction for the tOSU coaching staff and team, and allows CDC and Hartzell to have a come to Jesus meeting with the donors to tell them to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Or this is really all dead and we are batter wives looking into the mirror with two black eyes trying to convince ourselves and clinging onto hope that the relationship will survive and it will all turn out fine.

I believe this would qualify as being in the bargaining stage of the grief process. I know, because I'm right there with you and don't think this is over yet. 

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

Circling back to thic dic, should you change your user name to "tunacan"

4 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

This makes much more sense to me than all of the speculation we’ve been doing the last week or so. 

Look, I choose to always expect the worst. So I fully expect Tom will be back in 2021. 

But that timeline does make much more sense than what was being speculated in this thread. Just no way Tom would be fired after beating KSU. Not with the last game coming the following weekend. It just didn’t make much sense. 

52 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If that has any ounce of truth, that means that the people who matter at Texas, CDC, Hartzell, the BOR, are willing to leak info to look like complete utter fools to provide Urban the time and air cover he needs to insure that he gets the right people. 

The question is does this administration have the confidence to suffer the huge image hit because they look like fools holding their dicks. 

How, exactly, do they “look like fools” simply because they took a hard shot at a program changing coach, with known health concerns, and in the end couldn’t get past that hurdle?

Just because it didn't work does not mean it’s a shitshow and we fucked it up.

Sometimes a deal just cannot be reached, even when both parties handle it correctly.

Who knows what the future holds? 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic