Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Would the donors you know get excited about the potential for beating OU?  Because Campbell has proven that he can do it with inferior talent.  Herman proved he can't do it with a Senior QB, when OU has it's worst team in god knows how long.  Again, I think this fact in and of itself allows CDC enough leverage to raise funds to kick Herman to the curb at this point.  Keeping him around is the definition of insanity.  I'm all for trying something new and different at this point.  Is our next coach guaranteed to be a great hire.  No, but at least I'm telling you there's a chance.   And 22 is a big time recruiting year.  You have to pull the trigger to get some momentum.  Anyone other than Herman at this point has a better shot at getting some quality players in the door.  And hell, maybe if Campbell is hired, he can bring some LB and TE from Iowa State with him in the one-time transfer window this year.

I thought Herman beat OU when he was at Houston. So, that in and of itself doesn't mean a lot. Look at it from a recruiting standpoint: You have a perennial conference champion and playoff loser to the north. You have aggy and Alabama to the East. You have tOSU in frozen hell. And you are soon to have a new competitor to the West. Why would a recruit choose Texas over any of those schools? We aren't even getting the private school guys or the local guys. Nothing against Campbell, but he doesn't get us anywhere. Would you really put up a mil or so for that? I'm not even sure I can rally up enough energy to attend the spring game.

2 hours ago, Caddox said:

I haven’t heard back from my thread, that lane may be closed to me for good. I hope not bc it’s become like crack to me.

I spoke with two people on the phone. One works for a BMD that isn’t as active as he used to be, but has talked to a few people that are. He said he had no details except that it’s not happening and we are moving on.

The other guy I talked to is a well connected guy and while he’s not at the level of our biggest donors, he gives enough money to co-own a suite with his brother. He’s an Austin guy and hosts an event every year where he helps CDC raise some money. He helped a lot with the new hall of fame in the NEZ. He said he was celebrating on Saturday too. As far as what happened, he was told Meyer started to get really stressed out about the whole process. We talked for a long time so I don’t want to write a novel here, but I don’t think Meyer ever believed we would actually pony up and give him just a stupidly good offer. He ended negotiations satisfied with what had been done, I’d guess that’s where the media started getting positive it would happen. Then a rumor went around on Saturday that things were being finalized this week. That’s when I got so pumped on Saturday and told a lot of curious people it was “done”. 

This guy doesn’t know what happened on Sunday. He’s still waiting to get the full word, but Meyer basically said he’s sorry but he’s out and cited the stress of the process and decision was an indicator he wasn’t ready to come back. It sounds like everyone involved on our side did a great job, so at least it’s not a Saban situation where our typical dumpster fire screws up the deal. He thinks there’s a big detail that he doesn’t know about that ended up hurting us. I’m sure it will come out later that will tie a lot of this together, because something just doesn’t add up.

So the main reason a blue blood program needs a coach like Urban is the very thing preventing him from doing the job going forward.  Too much pressure and stress.  Sounds like he’s done coaching.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I thought Herman beat OU when he was at Houston. So, that in and of itself doesn't mean a lot. Look at it from a recruiting standpoint: You have a perennial conference champion and playoff loser to the north. You have aggy and Alabama to the East. You have tOSU in frozen hell. And you are soon to have a new competitor to the West. Why would a recruit choose Texas over any of those schools? We aren't even getting the private school guys or the local guys. Nothing against Campbell, but he doesn't get us anywhere. Would you really put up a mil or so for that? I'm not even sure I can rally up enough energy to attend the spring game.

Campbell is in his element at ISU and smart enough to know it.

16 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Would the donors you know get excited about the potential for beating OU?  Because Campbell has proven that he can do it with inferior talent.  Herman proved he can't do it with a Senior QB, when OU has it's worst team in god knows how long.  Again, I think this fact in and of itself allows CDC enough leverage to raise funds to kick Herman to the curb at this point.  Keeping him around is the definition of insanity.  I'm all for trying something new and different at this point.  Is our next coach guaranteed to be a great hire.  No, but at least I'm telling you there's a chance.   And 22 is a big time recruiting year.  You have to pull the trigger to get some momentum.  Anyone other than Herman at this point has a better shot at getting some quality players in the door.  And hell, maybe if Campbell is hired, he can bring some LB and TE from Iowa State with him in the one-time transfer window this year.

Campbell is the only other guy I can think of that I have any level of enthusiasm for, but I know others here don't want him.  That's part of the reason I have doubts about the buyout of TH if not UM.  For 15 mil you need a number of BMDs enthusiastic for the replacement.  I just don't see them ponying up a bunch of money and just hoping CDC makes a good choice.  Most likely the BMDs are as split on opinions about the various plan Bs as we are, whereas there was unity abou UM.  I question whether CDC can get enough BMDs in agreement and enthused about the same plan B.

I haven’t heard back from my thread, that lane may be closed to me for good. I hope not bc it’s become like crack to me.

I spoke with two people on the phone. One works for a BMD that isn’t as active as he used to be, but has talked to a few people that are. He said he had no details except that it’s not happening and we are moving on.

The other guy I talked to is a well connected guy and while he’s not at the level of our biggest donors, he gives enough money to co-own a suite with his brother. He’s an Austin guy and hosts an event every year where he helps CDC raise some money. He helped a lot with the new hall of fame in the NEZ. He said he was celebrating on Saturday too. As far as what happened, he was told Meyer started to get really stressed out about the whole process. We talked for a long time so I don’t want to write a novel here, but I don’t think Meyer ever believed we would actually pony up and give him just a stupidly good offer. He ended negotiations satisfied with what had been done, I’d guess that’s where the media started getting positive it would happen. Then a rumor went around on Saturday that things were being finalized this week. That’s when I got so pumped on Saturday and told a lot of curious people it was “done”. 

This guy doesn’t know what happened on Sunday. He’s still waiting to get the full word, but Meyer basically said he’s sorry but he’s out and cited the stress of the process and decision was an indicator he wasn’t ready to come back. It sounds like everyone involved on our side did a great job, so at least it’s not a Saban situation where our typical dumpster fire screws up the deal. He thinks there’s a big detail that he doesn’t know about that ended up hurting us. I’m sure it will come out later that will tie a lot of this together, because something just doesn’t add up.

He thinks there’s a big detail that he doesn’t know about that ended up hurting us

I think it was CDC not being fully on board with Meyer from the beginning.

6 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

I think it was CDC not being fully on board with Meyer from the beginning.

That is what I have been feeling and it makes me ragey. Especially because it feels like ego - that Urban wasn't his guy - that Urban wanted an AD that he could manage - and that Jay was taking the lead.

1 minute ago, wood said:

I think a few of us are still not waving the white flag...

I’m not waving the white flag, but even the best case scenario is going to involve my feeling like shit till Sunday. There’s just not much point in even speculating on this shit till then, and potentially much longer than that

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:
10 hours ago, ztejas said:
Not sure who this is coming from, but, I'll take anything at this point.

Nope, don't do this to me..whoever the fuck wrote that. I'll just assume it's a more wordy futureman type troll for now.

I'll admit it's beginning to take a cult-like form, but I'm here for it. Kool aid and white robes and all.

We have to pay our Coaches but can we start with a minimal buyout that escalates by meeting performance objectives?

Win the conference it adds a million or a National Championship it goes up $3 million.

End goal being a reduced need on BMD money and to protect ourselves from bad extensions.

There are a lot of smart people on this board who will easily explain why it doesn’t work this way and I’m up for the explanation.

54 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if this were the case, I imagine we would have heard more about plan Bs, especially after Sunday, when all we’ve heard is “we’re going to take a step back and re-evaluate”

We've heard plenty about plan Bs. You just haven't been paying attention to them.

And literally everyone with a BMD source is saying what I'm saying, and literally everyone who's saying otherwise is talking outta their assholes.

Fuck the day club. I'm all in with my night club motherfuckers. White smoke until they tell me I can't make white smoke anymore!!  

I still remember when urban was hoping a flight from Salt Lake to South bend. And then he was the coach of Florida. Fuck beck. Fuck AAS. Fuck ketch. Fuck errybody!  Its happening!!!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pops said:

Fuck the day club. I'm all in with my night club motherfuckers. White smoke until they tell me I can't make white smoke anymore!!  

I still remember when urban was hoping a flight from Salt Lake to South bend. And then he was the coach of Florida. Fuck beck. Fuck AAS. Fuck ketch. Fuck errybody!  Its happening!!!

I want what you’re having!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, pops said:

giphy-step-brothers.gif.7de5245f9e1cf5c26a17db569643b494.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust [Page 500+ Big Dick Energy Only]
46 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Fuck Chip Brown.  Someone needs to get his SMU loving ass fired (again)

Yeah because Chip's done so much for SMU.

Say what you want about CJK5H at least he was a star on the field for us. Chip is a worthless sack of shit that was part of a fraternity that will never be let back on campus.

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If I had F You money like some of these guys do, yeah sign me up for a mil to get rid of herman and take a lottery shot on either Campbell or Fickell.  I'd pay a million just to not watch Herman coach my team anymore.  It's maddening.  Like someone else said, he doesn't learn from his mistakes. 

Yes, he beat OU with someone else's players when they were the underdog and OU didn't respect them.(I'm not counting Ed Oliver as one of his because the only reason he got him was hiring his crappy high school coach)   That's different in my opinion than what Campbell has been able to do against them.  I might eat my words if OU beats them by 21 in the championship game, but it's more impressive in my opinion to beat a conference opponent when you know each other and play each other year in and year out.  What Campbell has done is impressive.  I don't know if it translates to success in Austin, but if I had big enough pocketbooks, yeah I would drop a million for the opportunity to tell my kids and grandkids that I was a big part of hiring the coach that turned UT Football around.  Or I could sit on my ass for another year and watch my bank account grow and the team struggle with no hope of turning things around.

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

We've heard plenty about plan Bs. You just haven't been paying attention to them.

And literally everyone with a BMD source is saying what I'm saying, and literally everyone who's saying otherwise is talking outta their assholes.

Plan Bs are like quarterbacks. If you have five of them, you have none of them. There’s only one letter that comes after A, so who is the coach who comes after UM?

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic