Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

37 minutes ago, burdine said:

Matt Campbell or Pat Fitzgerald seem like the most proven guys that are reasonably attainable.

Both have overall winning records in conference play in Power 5 conferences for 5 years or greater at schools that are clearly at a disadvantage to their peers.

Bring 'em both in and see which one kills the interview.

Matt Campbell wears his ballcap so tight I can't stand it. Also, I believe he's closer to Herman philosophically (like losing games he's not supposed to) than people realize. Do not want 

40 minutes ago, burdine said:

Matt Campbell or Pat Fitzgerald seem like the most proven guys that are reasonably attainable.

Both have overall winning records in conference play in Power 5 conferences for 5 years or greater at schools that are clearly at a disadvantage to their peers.

Bring 'em both in and see which one kills the interview.

FWIW - if the Bears job opens up Fitzgerald is rumored to be the favorite - it is apparently one of the few jobs he has said he might be willing to leave Northwestern for.  I'm guessing he'd wait on that job before entertaining any other offers.

Fickell is different due to extra coaching experience. Unlike Herman and Strong he has had multiple 10+ win seasons and was on his way to another and is undefeated this year. Tom followed his 10+ win season with 9-3 sound familiar. Charlie's other seasons were 7-6 once again sound familiar. Every time I compare Fickell to Strong, Herman and early Urban days he is closer to Urban's rise then Strong and Herman's one hit wonder seasons. So I would love ending up with Fickell if we don't get Urban. I rather have him then Cristobal or Campbell.

One caveat if any of these guys interview and say they want to bring bring their staff then the interview should end right there and then. We need a guy that brings some support staff but is willing to go get the best coordinators available on the market. The kind of guys he could not afford at his current job.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - if the Bears job opens up Fitzgerald is rumored to be the favorite - it is apparently one of the few jobs he has said he might be willing to leave Northwestern for.  I'm guessing he'd wait on that job before entertaining any other offers.

Anybody good will have other opportunities but he isn't locked in yet like many others.  On the scale of who we might want, he seems pretty attainable.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Years ago apparently Texas was one to the few jobs he would leave NW for. He doesn't have that wow factor but he is a dam good football coach, we can and have done much worse. I wouldn't complain, he is lightyears better than Herman and Strong.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texans did their part to help

When Fitzgerald's name came up a few years ago, I felt he'd be a great choice. But I quickly got a sense he was the opposite of what our program is all about. In other words, a really good coach and leader who runs a tight ship. Doesn't seem like the type who'd want to hobnob with our "insiders." 

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Years ago apparently Texas was one to the few jobs he would leave NW for. He doesn't have that wow factor but he is a dam good football coach, we can and have done much worse. I wouldn't complain, he is lightyears better than Herman and Strong.

If we somehow pull off Urban he'd be a great follow up once the program is off and running. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

When Fitzgerald's name came up a few years ago, I felt he'd be a great choice. But I quickly got a sense he was the opposite of what our program is all about. In other words, a really good coach and leader who runs a tight ship. Doesn't seem like the type who'd want to hobnob with our "insiders." 

If we want to be different and change what's wrong with our program, Fitzgerald seems like the ticket to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Northwestern has better facilities than Texas. 

That said the Bears job should be opening up soon w Nagy shitting the bed.

Campbell can coach football. I just think he’s the poorest cultural fit of any candidate. Iowa State can’t match us in money & recruiting base. They are basically top three in the conference though in facilities, fan base, academics, administrative financial backing, attendance etc. I think you’d have to offer him a lot of money. I think you’d struggle to get BMDs on the same page w Campbell.

Edited by CastHorn

Just now, hookem48 said:

It's been 51 minutes, where's the positive news god damnit

It’ll be a little later. I’d guess 1-2 hours. Just thought I’d help get the juices flowing in here. I’m excited to talk to this person, it’s been a long drought of activity. This guy will also tell me if I got booted from the text thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Caddox said:

It’ll be a little later. I’d guess 1-2 hours. Just thought I’d help get the juices flowing in here. I’m excited to talk to this person, it’s been a long drought of activity. This guy will also tell me if I got booted from the text thread. 

you have one hour left, then we're going to make you eat chili with beans and potatoes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic