Jake Smith

FriendofaFriend

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not exactly a star but Kyle Porter led UH in rushing the last two seasons.

also, with Ja'Quinden Jackson and Cam Rising both Utes these days, there's a decent chance one of them gets the starting nod in Utah

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2021/03/16/utah-utes-quarterback/

Wasn't there another RB that transferred to UH and did pretty well? If I remember right, he was a little fast guy. I think @Snacks had a relationship with him or the family. I want to say he followed a girl or something. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He barely played in the (rare) games when Whittington was healthy last year.   He made some plays as a freshman, but I’m not surprised if he doesn’t see a route to a lot of snaps here.  Omeire and Worthy are going to be ahead of him, too, in addition the guys coming back from last year.

He can be a fine WR for a P5 team, but it probably doesn’t impact our WR room very much.   When I first saw his film, I thought he was going to be an elite player for us.   But even before he enrolled it became clear his competition in high school was unfathomably bad, and he might be this era’s version of Traylon Shead.  He looked like Chris Johnson on that high school film, but it turns out he has good but not great speed against other D1 athletes and limited wiggle.

Too easy

On 6/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, Machinator said:

FCB's take on Jake, for what it's worth

Reveal hidden contents

Jake's time at Texas has obviously been up and down with the injuries, and he did feel homesick during his freshman season. I've said his parents were never really on board with him picking Texas, which can weigh on a student-athlete as well.

It seemed like things were turning for the better when Smith came through in the Oklahoma State game last year.

Jake Smith was close with Jake Ehlinger and Kenyatta Watson, who transferred. (Kenyatta's dad was not a fan of Kenyatta at Texas, either.) But I'd heard rumblings about Jake Smith thinking of transferring before Jake Ehlinger died.

I think Jake Smith breaking his foot on the first day of spring ball sort of made him feel snake-bitten and in need of a fresh start.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

FCB: Going inside Sarkisian's 'All-Gas, No-Brakes' passing game

Hide contents

One quick note on Jake Smith’s decision to enter the transfer portal. While we don’t expect Smith to return to the Texas team, it should be mentioned that UT coaches wanted Smith to remain a Longhorn. He was well-liked in the locker room. He was very close friends with - and was planning to room with - Jake Ehlinger before Ehlinger passed away in May.

One source on the team said Smith, who thought about transferring after his freshman year, “just couldn’t seem to get enough forward momentum going to feel completely at home at Texas.

“I think he looked at his foot injury (on the first day of spring ball) and Jake (Ehlinger’s) death as a sign that he needed a fresh start somewhere else - even though he was about to have Steve Sarkisian as his play-caller,” the team source said. “That sort of tells you everything right there. I think everyone in the locker room wishes he was staying, but we wish him the best.”

The robot's second quote from FCB is a big revelation to me. I didn't know  Smith was planning on rooming with Jake Ehlinger next year.

Under those circumstances, a transfer seems a lot more reasonable now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Portal.jpg 

LOL, when they leave they were a "wasted scholarship dude who would never amount to anything." But when we get one, he's a "sleeper all-American type, who's a highly underutilized superstar in the making." 

As a general rule, I've been in favor of movement (pre-portal it was usually departures). If you have someone who is not happy for any reason, and it's to the point that they are remotely considering leaving, I believe they should go. If you have new blood that want's in, that is a net positive. I'm also sick of hearing (mostly from the Herman era) of guys negative recruiting their own team. With the portal there is no reason for it.

I'm even more in favor of it with a new coach coming in. Sark has set the tone of the operation by now and if that isn't helping then it is time to go. How often have I heard "wait til the new coach gets his guys" this type of movement will speed up that process.

I know you are referencing what people say about their talent levels, and I'm speaking of attitude. For guys with the right attitude I think you can give up a little on the talent side of the equation. Ideally we can have both. 

I wish him well and hope he finds what he's looking for.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Before for the Herman era, when was the last time you heard about a Texas player negatively recruiting against the team? Was it Darius White or whoever Demarco Cobb knocked the hell out of?

True. I had heard some rumblings during the Mackovick era, but nothing like what I heard during the Herman era (Both frustrating times).

On 6/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, longhornmatt said:

He barely played in the (rare) games when Whittington was healthy last year.   He made some plays as a freshman, but I’m not surprised if he doesn’t see a route to a lot of snaps here.  Omeire and Worthy are going to be ahead of him, too, in addition the guys coming back from last year.

He can be a fine WR for a P5 team, but it probably doesn’t impact our WR room very much.   When I first saw his film, I thought he was going to be an elite player for us.   But even before he enrolled it became clear his competition in high school was unfathomably bad, and he might be this era’s version of Traylon Shead.  He looked like Chris Johnson on that high school film, but it turns out he has good but not great speed against other D1 athletes and limited wiggle.

He also has questionable hands, which is a bad thing for a receiver in an offense that likes to throw the ball to guys on the move.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, oldhorn2 said:

average at best hands....not a particularly good route runner....questionable attitude.....injury prone....yeah....sign him up! What can possibly go wrong?

You’re suggesting he was a questionable take at the time?

58 minutes ago, futureman said:

true. still a four star. 

I was pumped about Jake until he dropped like 2 TDs and about 8 first downs. He probably got screwed by TH with the horrible WR rotation and tried to do to much with so little time on the field and targets. 

I'd say some guys but pretty much all guys need to be on the field to get a feel for the game, get loose, lose the jitters and just ball.

Hopefully with Sark we aren't giving guys a quarter for a breather.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Before for the Herman era, when was the last time you heard about a Texas player negatively recruiting against the team? Was it Darius White or whoever Demarco Cobb knocked the hell out of?

DC was a hell of a recruiter too. I remember him hosting a ton of guys coming in.  Anyone remember who he beat the hell out of?  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 1:18 AM, Nope said:

You’re suggesting he was a questionable take at the time?

no.....he seemed like a good take at the time....back when we thought he was really,really fast, great hands and a good route runner. The bad attitude and injury problems came to light after we had him.....well, and the crappy hands, and poor route running skills....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

no.....he seemed like a good take at the time....back when we thought he was really,really fast, great hands and a good route runner. The bad attitude and injury problems came to light after we had him.....well, and the crappy hands, and poor route running skills....

Agreed

Does anybody remember if he was doing camps as a recruit? Or was his evaluation solely juxtaposed against guys who are driving Ubers through Scottsdale right now?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, Blotto said:

Not exactly a star but Kyle Porter led UH in rushing the last two seasons.

also, with Ja'Quinden Jackson and Cam Rising both Utes these days, there's a decent chance one of them gets the starting nod in Utah

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2021/03/16/utah-utes-quarterback/

I would think that Brewer wouldn’t have gone to Salt Lake City, Utah without a guarantee that he would have every opportunity to win the starting job. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yep. Off to USC.

Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it
USC, USC

These WR shoes
They are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
USC, USC

I want to wake up in a city
That doesn't sleep
And find that I'm number one
Top of the list
Head of the heap
King of the hill...

These small town blues
They're melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old USC...

If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you
USC, USC !
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Not if you are the player…cashing that check.

Agreed. But it sure helped alienate the fan base and they're the ones who ultimately pay the bills -- the gate, concessions, merchandise, and far more importantly, by driving TV revenue. MLB is still around, sure, but it's not the big dog anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. Free agency and strikes have played major roles in its decline. Bottom line: The damned ol' law got in the way. Funny how that happens. (Can you say "NIL?" I knew you could.)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Agreed. But it sure helped alienate the fan base and they're the ones who ultimately pay the bills -- the gate, concessions, merchandise, and far more importantly, by driving TV revenue. MLB is still around, sure, but it's not the big dog anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. Free agency and strikes have played major roles in its decline. Bottom line: The damned ol' law got in the way. Funny how that happens. (Can you say "NIL?" I knew you could.)

Now tell me why boxing isn’t as popular as it used to be. 

I'm not overly concerned about losing Cousin Jake, but wtf is up with all of these guys heading to USC? Are they all fleeing strictly from some trend of Late Mack,  Strong, Herman and now Seven & Seven Win Steve...? Is USC sending Carrington with a bag o' cash? ...or is Sark just welcoming the exit of under-performers?

Edited by Tex Long
fat fingers