Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Not sure how trivial it is but people who speed through school zones when the lights are clearly flashing make me ragey
I used to work in a school zone. My job was where it began and ended pretty much. Cops sat up in our parking lot. S person might be going a few over. Cop darts across both sides of traffic and proceeds to go over 60mph in a school zone to catch this person going a few over. Who is endangering whom? But all to extort money from people. I get people going pretty fast in the school zone. But not far trivial speeds over the limit.

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:
Not sure how trivial it is but people who speed through school zones when the lights are clearly flashing make me ragey

I used to work in a school zone. My job was where it began and ended pretty much. Cops sat up in our parking lot. S person might be going a few over. Cop darts across both sides of traffic and proceeds to go over 60mph in a school zone to catch this person going a few over. Who is endangering whom? But all to extort money from people. I get people going pretty fast in the school zone. But not far trivial speeds over the limit.

I'm all for a slower speed in a school zone, but that is really a hold over from the days when people walked to their neighborhood school. Now 99% of kids are bussing it in.  You just don't have the numbers of kids converging at all intersections to a school.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Thought it was implied that I clearly wasn’t talkin bout going 27 in a 20.

guess not.

Speaking of the pickup line -  the other day I took PTO for a Dr's appt and when I drove home past the school there were 20 cars lined up in the pickup line........... at 1pm.... 2 hours before school let out. What is the fucking point of that?

"Oh I don't wanna wait in line for 30 minutes so I wait in line for 2 hours instead" 

"Oh I wait in line for 2 hours so Madysyn is 30 minutes early to cheer practice instead of being on time. " 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm all for a slower speed in a school zone, but that is really a hold over from the days when people walked to their neighborhood school. Now 99% of kids are bussing it in.  You just don't have the numbers of kids converging at all intersections to a school.

There are massive numbers of bikers and walkers to my kids' school.  My kids walk.

Just now, Hanrahan said:

There are massive numbers of bikers and walkers to my kids' school.  My kids walk.

Yeah, My comment was a bit too much of a broad brush stroke.  I'm not in any way promoting the idea of removing the speed zone, but around here (suburbs at least) it isn't like that. If you go in the city you see more of it, mostly at the elementary school level IMO.

Speaking of the pickup line -  the other day I took PTO for a Dr's appt and when I drove home past the school there were 20 cars lined up in the pickup line........... at 1pm.... 2 hours before school let out. What is the fucking point of that?
"Oh I don't wanna wait in line for 30 minutes so I wait in line for 2 hours instead" 
"Oh I wait in line for 2 hours so Madysyn is 30 minutes early to cheer practice instead of being on time. " 
The pick-up lines in suburbia blow my mind. 100 cars in line stretching as far as you can see. Parents driving their kids to the bus stop and sitting in their cars waiting for the bus to come. I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid.

33 minutes ago, Okie State said:
10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

The pick-up lines in suburbia blow my mind. 100 cars in line stretching as far as you can see. Parents driving their kids to the bus stop and sitting in their cars waiting for the bus to come. I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid.

Damn right. We walked to school. ( Uphill. Snow. etc.)

I didn't walk, but I did ride the bus. It was up to me to get to the stop on time. Same for every other kid on my street.

I'm not implying I was some kind of badass. I just honestly don't remember parents doing this. Kids walked to and from the bus stop or walked/biked to school. I don't remember any kind of significant pick-up line.

Man, the Elementary by the house is INSANE!  The road is lined with cars parked on both sides (we're talking 200+ cars) and they park on our street as the quick exit, which never works.  The funny thing is probably 90% of the kids in the school live in walking distance, but the parents have to drive up there and pick their lazy asses up.  Not even sure why the buses run from there.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

I didn't walk, but I did ride the bus. It was up to me to get to the stop on time. Same for every other kid on my street.

I'm not implying I was some kind of badass. I just honestly don't remember parents doing this. Kids walked to and from the bus stop or walked/biked to school. I don't remember any kind of significant pick-up line.

My 4th grader is responsible for getting himself to the bus stop (like I was), but the flip side is I didn’t attend a giant schools district with staggered start times for bus re-use. My pickup time was never 6-fucking-fifty.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

People who routinely buy more food than they're going to eat, and then toss half the meal.  Bitch, if you aren't going to do leftovers, order less.

Also, if you're an adult that won't eat leftovers, you're probably a bitch.

Yeah, this is kinda me. I’ll eat some left overs, especially stuff that gets better, but I grew up eating horrid leftovers of shit that wasn’t good the first time. I resolved that if/when I ever had money, I was never eating terrible generic versions of stuff to save a dime (mustard, cereal) and I was only eating leftovers I liked after the first day (chili, BBQ).

3 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Yeah, this is kinda me. I’ll eat some left overs, especially stuff that gets better, but I grew up eating horrid leftovers of shit that wasn’t good the first time. I resolved that if/when I ever had money, I was never eating terrible generic versions of stuff to save a dime (mustard, cereal) and I was only eating leftovers I liked after the first day (chili, BBQ).

The “don’t waste food” ethos was drilled into me early.  I intentionally cook with leftovers in mind because I was so used to that growing up.  I’ll thaw out a package of brats on a Sunday, and grill them all up for consumption through the week.  Or make a big pot of chili or soup with the same intent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Parents driving their kids to the bus stop and sitting in their cars waiting for the bus to come.

I have a neighbor that does this.  It's about 100 ft from their house to the bus stop.  Then the mom does a 5 point turn around to go back home.  I kind of get it if it's raining.

• Like 1

I'm also preemptively surly about the fact that my new television does not have actual buttons on the  unit. Meaning if I lose my remote it's useless.

And I have little kids so there's a 100% chance it gets lost and I'll find it 2 months later behind one of the kids drawers.

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

30 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I have a neighbor that does this.  It's about 100 ft from their house to the bus stop.  Then the mom does a 5 point turn around to go back home.  I kind of get it if it's raining.

Raining or when it’s below freezing like up here in the Northeast, Highschoolers should be able to handle it but not the little ones.  

My neighborhood is like this, with parents parking on both sides of the street. They take liberties with the distance between the cars, getting almost less than a car width between them. It’s harrowing for my wife to try to get between them to get through the intersection. My daily driver is a bit old and I have no hesitation taking out a rear view mirror. Once I did that, and the cops sided with me that they are at fault, they’ve been better about giving drivers space.

21 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Idk how people can travel wearing shit like that. Especially flip flops.

I used to wear flip flops and basketball shorts when I’d sneak weed on the plane to look as inconspicuous as possible going through security....fuck those body scanners that you have to go through for ruining that now (not so trivial?)

19 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Hah, my aunt does this to pick up her grandson, which she does daily. Why? Because he wants to be the first one picked up, and doesn't want to wait. I've told my mom to tell her sister to tell him to "suck it up, buttercup" but I don't think the message is getting forwarded.

Had to get on some broad’s case this morning for line jumping at BJs(Sam’s/Costco).  Lady in front of me only had a couple of items,self-checkout was long, and another register opened up and the cunt behind me makes a bee-line to it.  I told her to let the lady in front of me go first and that there were others that have been in line longer than her.   She got all huffy and told me I got in line just seconds before her,  came back with I didn’t say anything about me.  I stayed put, was in no hurry.  See that shit a lot, pet peeve of mine.