The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

21 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Every time they have a victory, erasing a part of history that has ruined their life, there is another obstacle that wasn’t an issue before but is now ruining their life with an even shakier link to actual racism. At some point you have to just say no. 

Who is "they"?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Who is "they"?

Lol. Nice try. I’m sure I know what you want it to mean, but no.  I’m talking about the woke or SJW. The folks who tried to get rid of Paw Patrol last year but will be taking their kids to the movie soon.  I specifically quoted someone else who was talking about people who aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy. Seems pretty clear to me. 

Edited by Lhorn

14 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

People did walk out.  Some people in my section did.  On the field level a couple PhDs and Masters students walked out too.  

Man, they sure showed us!

I’d be a lot more impressed if they had actually learned the truth about The Eyes instead of believing a false narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, MirrOlure said:

Who the fuck signs an email “Dr.” Whatever?

Someone with an MD or a PhD?

On 5/21/2021 at 10:38 AM, Eskimohorn said:

Possibly. But you need to accept the possibility that this controversy won’t go away. This is a soft target and it wont take much for the bizarro Randolph Duke’s of the world to reignite this controversy, and ESPN/Texas Tribune, etc. One high-profile decommitment. It’s a wedge issue where it doesn’t take much to have an opinion on.

Nevertheless, you may well be right. But I’m not sure what standing firm looks like. If the student athletes no longer participate and walk into the locker room during the song, I’m not sure how it doesn’t blow up in our faces - again. Like you said, it’s a soft target.

The only way this gets resolved is if all student athletes are genuinely persuaded to fully participate as one, unified voice. Do you see that ever happening?

The people who really believe in the whole false narrative can start getting their education elsewhere.  If not, fuck'em. They made their choice and they're full of shit.

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

The race hustling is something else.  "They" are mostly privileged (although they don't think so), white, over-educated, zero common sense, dipshits who consider the smell of their own woke flatulece a delicacy.

Sounds like Victor Komarovsky’s last lines in Dr. Zhivago.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Man, they sure showed us!

I’d be a lot more impressed if they had actually learned the truth about The Eyes instead of believing a false narrative. 

But they're PHDs and Masters recipients!

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Lol. Nice try. I’m sure I know what you want it to mean, but no.  I’m talking about the woke or SJW. The folks who tried to get rid of Paw Patrol last year but will be taking their kids to the movie soon.  I specifically quoted someone else who was talking about people who aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy. Seems pretty clear to me. 

It was more a joke, as I haven't participated in this thread. However, we sit and pretend that our generation wasn't doing the same thing to the generation before us. We were. Now that we are the olds, we have gotten to a point where any more "change" is past our comfort level. Bottom line, every generation is going to push past the generation before them, and that older generation is almost always going to be put off by it. As an AA, I have benefited from it greatly, so I cannot complain about the byproduct.

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I've said it before, and it's been a few weeks, so I'll say it again.

60-odd pages is not too much to read for someone with a bachelor's degree (or working on one) from the University of Texas. If you have not yet read the Commission's report, you are unqualified to discuss the issue.

Or even to have an opinion.

https://eyesoftexas.utexas.edu/ Go do yourself a favor.

People on this side of arguments like this are often ignorant of actual facts. Emotion takes the place of the effort required to learn the nuances of a subject to the wine  crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

People on this side of arguments like this are often ignorant of actual facts. Emotion takes the place of the effort required to learn the nuances of a subject to the wine  crowd. 

Exactly.

this isn’t about “The Eyes” or the suffering of others, it’s about some kids saying “look at me”. I can only imagine Dr. Kings eye roll from his grave. 

It’s an empty gesture by an overly privileged group that’s too self absorbed to realize they are just as bad as the bigots they lament by trying steal another groups pain for token attention. 

• Hook 'Em 6

43 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Exactly.

this isn’t about “The Eyes” or the suffering of others, it’s about some kids saying “look at me”. I can only imagine Dr. Kings eye roll from his grave. 

It’s an empty gesture by an overly privileged group that’s too self absorbed to realize they are just as bad as the bigots they lament by trying steal another groups pain for token attention. 

Which is why it's no big deal and should in no way bother anyone.

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

However, we sit and pretend that our generation wasn't doing the same thing to the generation before us. We were. Now that we are the olds, we have gotten to a point where any more "change" is past our comfort level

Agree there were a bunch of fucking losers that wasted their college days complaining about bullshit in the West Mall in the early 2000's as well.  I don't recall what they were crying about back then but I do remember rolling my eyes most strolls through that part of campus.  Just like I'm sure the vast majority of students do today that are there to learn, prepare for the real world, party and get laid.   "Walking out" your last moment as a student. SMH.  Yeah, you really showed em.

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

... they are just as bad as the bigots they lament ...

Nope.

The people who walked out didn't hurt anyone and they don't advocate anything that hurts anyone. They're wrong about the song itself being racist, but that's nothing like advocating actual bigotry against human beings.

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Nope.

The people who walked out didn't hurt anyone and they don't advocate anything that hurts anyone. They're wrong about the song itself being racist, but that's nothing like advocating actual bigotry against human beings.

Bigotry doesn’t require action, it’s a willful ignorance of ones place in an unjust system. 
This non-action is another meaningless widow dressing thats hijacking someone else’s struggle with no intention of forcing meaningful change. 

You want to make a meaningful statement? Drop out of school en mass or burn you diplomas at the main building. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

You want to make a meaningful statement? Drop out of school en mass or burn you diplomas at the main building. 

How is burning a diploma a more meaningful statement exactly? You know burning that piece of paper doesn’t mean you no longer have a degree right? Is the fire the point? Now you’d respect them more if they committed acts of vandalism in their misguided protest?

9 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

How is burning a diploma a more meaningful statement exactly? You know burning that piece of paper doesn’t mean you no longer have a degree right? Is the fire the point? Now you’d respect them more if they committed acts of vandalism in their misguided protest?

I would absolutely respect them more if they actually had something to lose, even if it was just a ticket for vandalism.

6 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Exactly.

And we have a BINGO again!

The "look at me" is absolutely the secret sauce to their bowl of narcissistic excrement gumbo.

And the enablers surrounding them woof it down and ask for seconds.  Hilariously pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Tex48 said:

People did walk out.  Some people in my section did.  On the field level a couple PhDs and Masters students walked out too.  I couldn't see anything else.  I made sure to sing the Eyes like its my last time ever in DKR.  

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

What I don't get is the (apparent) fact that no one seems to be calling for the cancellation of all the rest of the songs that were ever played by a minstrel group. Although, mind you, FS Walcott's Rabbit Foot Minstrels - AKA 'The Foots' - were seen as purveyors of culture, nonpareil... at least by Levon.

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The complaint, obtained by the Texas Tribune, alleges school officials violated Title VI of the Civil Rights Act by failing to address the claims of black students and others who say they have suffered racial harassment because of the song at university events.

The complaint says the song, played at the university for over 100 years, has a "racially offensive origin, context and meaning."

According to the complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights, the university's decision to have separate marching bands for students who want to play the song and students who do not violates the equal protections established under the 14th Amendment.

"As black students, we kind of feel as if it's not like our voices are heard," said Al-Nasser Lawal, a senior at the school and president of the UT-Austin chapter of the NAACP. "The main objective of the administration and the campus is just to appease their wealthy donors so that they can continue to get that funding, and that they don't really have our best interests at heart."

The Texas Tribune reported a U.S. Department of Education spokesperson said it does not acknowledge complaints unless they are accepted for investigation, and its list is updated once a month.

I'm no attorney, but their complaint makes no sense and has already been addressed ad nauseam by the University. 

Lawal seems like he sucks considering the voices he allegedly represents were certainly heard. Sorry Lawal you don't get everything you want in life especially when you're dead wrong. 

Department of Education won't do shit as there are more pressing issues (e.g. student loan debt, addressing COVID in public schools).

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Nagged for bumping a second thread when we had a discussion going in a different one most of today.

Jesus fuck.

Alright I'll rescind it because it isn't on the first page anymore but Christ. One thread about this is already too many.

Edited by ztejas

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/naacp-ut-austin-students-alumni-groups-denounce-use-of-eyes-of-texas/
48 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"As black students, we kind of feel as if it's not like our voices are heard," said Al-Nasser Lawal, a senior at the school and president of the UT-Austin chapter of the NAACP. "

Wait a minute..... in the past 12 months didn't we have a bunch of buildings renamed, statues removed, monuments added, a commitment of a multimillion dollar allocation of athletics revenue to support black students, and a 60 page document created by an Eyes of Texas Historical Committee that explained the history of the song?

Maybe the entire "list of demands*" wasn't met, but saying "our voices were not heard" seems a bit disingenuous all things considered.

*https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/naacp-ut-austin-students-alumni-groups-denounce-use-of-eyes-of-texas/

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 3