Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I just spent 10 minutes on a tele call with my GP to get a prescription approved. No, it was not a Rube Goldberg-Esque scheme to get hydrochloronique, nor was it to treat an STD. Doc spent 2 minutes asking me about the issue, then 8 minutes of unprompted ranting about leadership failing us at every level, telling me to stay the fuck home, that this thing was real, and Houston would be up shit’s creek by next week. Then I asked him if he posted as Greenspoint Texas. 

I kid, he’s a real doctor. UT grad, both schools. He  said he’s had 8 patients test positive and 2 are in the ICU currently. Take that fwiw. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Cue up the Benny Hill Music and forget teams...  look at this asshat!  

We have no chance to get your average (or below average... this is not Lake Wobegon)  American to follow the rules when a Senator, who I believe is also a doctor,  doesn't feel the need to be bothered.  "I don't feel great, it's probably nothing..."

This is my favorite part:

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol,'' Paul added. Current federal guidelines would not have called for him to get tested or quarantined, Paul said.

"You can't blame me for not following rules, because if we were following rules, I wouldn't even know I was sick."

0330chewbacca.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Look at this map so far today.  It's like a nighttime satellite photo.  And the entire E/SE part of the country ?  That is ominous as hell.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.15.54 AM

Again, until testing is available everywhere, IMO this is mainly a map of where the most test have been available; well that and there will be more cases where there are more people. 
I know in Michigan they have been testing only those people with the most severe symptoms, that was at least through Friday. 

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

It's gonna take a lot more dead people to make that happen...

Or we lose internet.

A lot more dead   Internet won’t be going down   China taught us the value of internet helping to keep the folks occupied/pacified   

Just now, Samson's Wig said:

They're not doing that because of Covid-19.  Just trying to spare citizens from having to see more of Waco than they already have to.  I'm glad they're finally waking up.

They’ve just discovered that while shiplap can technically stop covid,  It’s not doable for PPE, at least not in its current state.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Loco said:

Cue up the Benny Hill Music and forget teams...  look at this asshat!  

We have no chance to get your average (or below average... this is not Lake Wobegon)  American to follow the rules when a Senator, who I believe is also a doctor,  doesn't feel the need to be bothered.  

Fauci Face Palm

why was he tested?  did he have direct exposure to someone who was positive?

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They pushed off closing down their beaches for as long as possible, until this past Thursday.  They had to have their St. Paddy’s day stuff and get in as much spring break as they could.  Granted, shitty weather impacted St Paddy’s attendance last Tuesday, going by the articles and photos posted, but they were not locking things down as quickly as they should have, and were still running decent hotel occupancy rates.  Even pitching themselves as alternatives to covid-hit areas.

For reference, Houston closed down the Rodeo on the 11th/12th.   

I was down there. Back down again for the next few. It's been a ghost town as far as I can tell. Maybe the west side isn't the same as elsewhere. Don't know.

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol no panic here. Just hilarious how many thousands have to die before fucking idiots wise up

Can the first thousand die before we all wise up?

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Don't they know? @closetojumping said there's nothing to worry about! They're just overreacting because of the media.

Never said any of that. That's some sort of political "hey, look at righty!" trope you're pulling out of the cloak room and trying to paste onto me and others here because it suits your narrative, you need to discuss politics like you need oxygen to breathe, and you're mad we don't agree, outside of your other mewling buddies cut from the same cloth. So, given that you're a lying piece of shit with this post, I just negged every post of yours that I saw after this, and of course, they all carried the same tenor. I'm happy to debate you on facts or to use your weak shit as entertainment. Your choice. Making shit up is a character flaw when you're not writing satire or fiction.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

sci-fi GIF

Yeah, I watched that movie the other night. I hadn't seen it in a long while. It was still fun and bizarre.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In a world where we aren’t capable of doing two things st once, sure. PPE and ICU and ventilator stuff is a logistics question. What  you are talking about is a treatment issue. We are capable of doing both things at once. 

See my post above. That dude is a cloak room troll.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is my favorite part:

"You can't blame me for not following rules, because if we were following rules, I wouldn't even know I was sick."

"You can't say I should have known better, because if I didn't know, then I wouldn't have known better."

So much damn hate.

13 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

They're not doing that because of Covid-19.  Just trying to spare citizens from having to see more of Waco than they already have to.  I'm glad they're finally waking up.

3 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

The last time Waco closed down was when they had a dancing outbreak...

Once Joanna Gaines shut her market/cafe/whatever down last week, and with Baylor and the museums closed, there ain’t much going on there.   

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

why was he tested?  did he have direct exposure to someone who was positive?

I HOPE we tested everyone in leadership roles (to protect continuity of government etc..)  We also should have asked them to socially isolate... again for continuity of governance.

How long did the test results take for a got damned US Senator?  Maybe expedite those, they may want to play basketball later.

These OLDS in our government have NOT been taking the same precautions they have ask of the general population take.   My point was how can we expect good compliance from the average joe, when leaders act contrary to those guidelines and are undoubtedly more informed.

Then the cherry...  Don't blame me I shouldn't have been tested in the first place.  

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Once Joanna Gaines shut her market/cafe/whatever down last week, and with Baylor and the museums closed, there ain’t much going on there.   

Texas Ranger Museum closed?  Dr. Pepper Museum?  Err.... and that's about it for Waco I believe...

Is that paddleboat still half-sunk on the Brazos shore?

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can the first thousand die before we all wise up?

Never said any of that. That's some sort of political "hey, look at righty!" trope you're pulling out of the cloak room and trying to paste onto me and others here because it suits your narrative, you need to discuss politics like you need oxygen to breathe, and you're mad we don't agree, outside of your other mewling buddies cut from the same cloth. So, given that you're a lying piece of shit with this post, I just negged every post of yours that I saw after this, and of course, they all carried the same tenor. I'm happy to debate you on facts or to use your weak shit as entertainment. Your choice. Making shit up is a character flaw when you're not writing satire or fiction.

See my post above. That dude is a cloak room troll.

In the same post, you downplay the severity of the pandemic and then ad-hominem attack me because you don't like how I'm stating my point?

Fuck you, fuckface. I'm no troll. None of my posts in this thread have been political in nature. Everything has been focused around our response and reaction to COVID-19.

Meanwhile, you're acting like the thread mall cop and making a fucking scene every time someone has the AUDACITY to assert that maybe things aren't being handled perfectly? Eat my ass, you bag of dicks.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In the same post, you downplay the severity of the pandemic and then ad-hominem attack me because you don't like how I'm stating my point?

Fuck you, fuckface. I'm no troll. None of my posts in this thread have been political in nature. Everything has been focused around our response and reaction to COVID-19.

Meanwhile, you're acting like the thread mall cop and making a fucking scene every time someone has the AUDACITY to assert that maybe things aren't being handled perfectly? Eat my ass, you bag of dicks.

See, now this was entertaining. Well done.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I suspect we'll hit 6 digit deaths per day in the US before this peaks. We acted way too late. Italy starting shutting down infected regions at 200 confirmed cases. I think the first time we took any action at all was around March 9. We had 700 cases at that time. 

Do you really think we’re going to see 10,000 deaths per day?  Really?

I suspect we'll hit 6 digit deaths per day in the US before this peaks. We acted way too late. Italy starting shutting down infected regions at 200 confirmed cases. I think the first time we took any action at all was around March 9. We had 700 cases at that time. 

6 digits per day?  What a horrible post.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Do you really think we’re going to see 10,000 deaths per day?  Really?

We continue to be on pace for it.  We had 23 deaths on 3/17/2020. By 3/20 we had 65. Yesterday we had 123. And we have 105 so far today. We very well may be near 200 before the day is over. At this pace, we'll hit 4 figures by April 1 and 5 figures by April 10. I don't know why you keep questioning the math on this, you've been wrong every step of the way. 

Source: https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

Edited by Dahobbs

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

6 digits per day?  What a horrible post.  

That's the curve we are on. This isn't hard guys. I just realized I can't count. 5 digits is what I meant. So maybe it is hard. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's the curve we are on. This isn't hard guys. 

It's possible, but drawing an exponential curve from a handful of datapoints is a fool's errand.  Doesn't take into account a whole host of confounding variables in the equation that have not been present in the data to this point, assuming deaths lag infection by several weeks, e.g. social/physical distancing, new treatment regimens, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Have you all been giving any guidance as to how to enforce this?  Will you ticket/fine people blatantly violating order?  Also, I need to re-read order but it seems like 'essential businesses' could have been expanded to anyone that can do their job while staying within 6 feet.  For example, I planned to hire my yard guy to do extra 'spring' stuff just to help keep $$ flowing into economy where I can but not sure he is technically supposed to be operating.

I don’t know exactly how it will be enforced. We haven’t really received any information on how this is going to work. With the goal of distancing, I ain’t exactly about to start walking into groups of people and exchanging paper and sharing my pen. I’ll probably just holler from my car.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

And why we are currently vulnerable to asymmetric warfare:

This is the pattern China has used to dominate not just penicillin production, but other drugs and many products across the manufacturing spectrum.

Penicillin?  Zero worries.  The minute Trump ramps up war time production using that act to utilize pvt industry, we would have 10 million pcn tabs a day pumped out.  We have a lot of worries many of these meds are not one of them.  I agree it's potentially something this country could get into trouble with but it should be a quick fix.  We have much bigger problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A colleague from Chicago has the symptoms:  dry cough, 103* temp, shortness of breath....and couldn't get a test b/c he hasn't been out of the country in the last two weeks.  He's late 40s, no underlying issues that I know of, outside of he's at least a heavy drinker/borderline alcoholic. 

Now he was in Italy and France in January and, like me, is on a plane weekly traveling for business...but he doesn't qualify.

i don't understand this criteria of being out of the country or in contact with someone who has it... at this point what difference does that make?? isn't plain old community spreading everywhere pretty much what's happening at this point?? 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's the curve we are on. This isn't hard guys. 

That doesn’t account for the fact that some hard-hit states, particularly Cali and NY, started really trying to bring things down well over a week ago.  They may not have been perfect measures, and maybe not even up to the fabled 80%, but as a whole, we are trying to go in the right direction.  

Even if we are hitting 500+ deaths a day by Friday, I think you will start seeing things slowing down.  

8 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

It's possible, but drawing an exponential curve from a handful of datapoints is a fool's errand.  Doesn't take into account a whole host of confounding variables in the equation that have not been present in the data to this point, assuming deaths lag infection by several weeks, e.g. social/physical distancing, new treatment regimens, etc.

Sure, a new treatment could happen. But it isn't like we don't have ample data at this point that the growth curve here is exponential. It has been the same in pretty much every country it has it. The only difference has been that a number of countries have instituted protective measures earlier to stem the tide. 

Edited by Dahobbs

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away