Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Neil Ferguson, architect of the Imperial College model that urged lockdowns, resigned from his government position for having his (married) lover over during shelter in place.  

At least he was locking down that poontang.  

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lock down Britain resigned from his Government advisory position on Tuesday night as The Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

Texas: Salons opening this Friday.   Manufacturers and gyms the following Friday.

Road traveled from Louisiana do not require mandatory quarantine. Still required: self-quarantines for air travelers from California; Connecticut; New York; New Jersey; Washington State; Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI, and Miami, FL.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Back in the day, Chili's burgers weren't awful.  Hangover fodder for sure.  

They definitely have gone downhill from what I remembered. Not that I have been to a Chili's other than at IAH in the past 5 years. Surly 1%

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Neil Ferguson, architect of the Imperial College model that urged lockdowns, resigned from his government position for having his (married) lover over during shelter in place.  

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lock down Britain resigned from his Government advisory position on Tuesday night as The Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

Two things in this world are undefeated.  One of them is COVID 19.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Their Oldtimer with cheese is on point. One of the best burgers in town :)

it sucked when the took the Terlingua Pride off the menu but they will still make it if you ask for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They definitely have gone downhill from what I remembered. Not that I have been to a Chili's other than at IAH in the past 5 years. Surly 1%

1 -- back in high school, we'd meet at the Chilis in the Carillion shopping center on Westheimer many an evening to see what folks were up to.  You could usually find someone who had a line on a party, where folks were gonna park and drink, etc.

2 -- Chili's is still a reliable option in many airports for a simple sit-down meal.  Coupla years ago, I had a bad stomach bug.  Wasn't able to eat much for several days.  Finally felt better when I was flying back from Dallas.  Ordered and ate a plain cheeseburger and some fries, and it was awesome.

3 -- we still go there as a family every now and then - everyone can get something they want (a salad, a burger, chicken tenders, even a grilled salmon filet), and we all love their chips and salsa.  No apologies, no ragrets.

That said, I got SO pissed one time when I was visiting a client in a small town, who insisted on taking me out to lunch.  Was thinking that I was gonna get to eat at some cool local place.  He excitedly took me to the brand new Chilis on the interstate.  Sonofabitch.

Edited by Brisketexan

2 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I keep saying and hearing that "well people have to eat" but my informal and highly suspect local survey of takeout business reports a low of 20% of (pre-Corona) sales and a high of 50%. I was stunned by the 50% number and it was an outlier (it is BBQ. Not good bbq either.). So let's say long term your volumes get to 75% through increased takeout and, say, a 50% occupancy going forward. On a place that made 5% before.

Really what I'm interested in seeing is what this does to restaurant employment and rents. It seems like those may be permanently adjusted down (fewer employees, smaller locations, cheaper rent). So I don't know how the decrease in RE cash flow will shake out either but...

At any rate it will certainly be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I think ghost kitchens will take off. I was looking at investing with a partner in getting a couple of containers equipped with industrial kitchens. The only rub is to have the city categorize them as food trucks. Need an empty lot to park the sucker.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- back in high school, we'd meet at the Chilis in the Carillion shopping center on Westheimer many an evening to see what folks were up to.  You could usually find someone who had a line on a party, where folks were gonna park and drink, etc.

2 -- Chili's is still a reliable option in many airports for a simple sit-down meal.  Coupla years ago, I had a bad stomach bug.  Wasn't able to eat much for several days.  Finally felt better when I was flying back from Dallas.  Ordered and ate a plain cheeseburger and some fries, and it was awesome.

3 -- we still go there as a family every now and then - everyone can get something they want (a salad, a burger, chicken tenders, even a grilled salmon filet), and we all love their chips and salsa.  No apologies, no ragrets.

That said, I got SO pissed one time when I was visiting a client in a small town, who insisted on taking me out to lunch.  Was thinking that I was gonna get to eat at some cool local place.  He excitedly took me to the brand new Chilis on the interstate.  Sonofabitch.

High School was Gattis on Piney Point. College was Club No Minor. 

Pics to see if the juice was worth the squeeze

14 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

that is pretty rich considering...

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Stop giving them plain Cheerios and serve up Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, etc. and they’ll eat cereal for all three meals,  rinse out their bowls in between meals, don’t have to run the dishwasher.   

spacer.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

High School was Gattis on Piney Point. College was Club No Minor. 

You mean on Voss where Trader Joe's is currently across from what was Randalls and now the Whole Foods. There was no Gattis on Piney Point Rd or anywhere in the Villages.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Every time I go to Kroger now it seems like $200 (go more or less once a week). 

Prepping 450 meals a month and cleaning up after that is no joke. My 9 year old has taken up baking during the pandemic. I swear sometimes I run the dish washer 3 times a day. It’s driving me crazy. 

I have an almost CTJ level of hate toward cereal. I served it to my kids the other day just because I couldn’t handle the idea of doing dishes again that day 

The struggle is real. 

At least our water is a well. Helps with 11 loads of dishes and 9 loads of laundry a week. 

At least you have a dishwasher. We don't have one at all. It's been a beating these last 2 months.

Texas: Salons opening this Friday.   Manufacturers and gyms the following Friday.
  Road traveled from Louisiana do not require mandatory quarantine. Still required: self-quarantines for air travelers from California; Connecticut; New York; New Jersey; Washington State; Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI, and Miami, FL.
Fuck yes on salons.

Nobody needs to be fucking gray haired bitches. AB excluded.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

At least you have a dishwasher. We don't have one at all. It's been a beating these last 2 months.

My wife is one of those "wash the dishes by hand until they're spotless THEN put them in the dishwasher to completely disinfect them" freaks. Dreading when our kids are old enough to tornado through dishes.

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Their chips and salsa is too sweet. I do remember going to one in San Antonio and was surprised by the salsa.

Sweet?  Huh....never would have described it that way.  It is mild as hell, though, that I'll concede.  I can damned near drink the stuff -- but it's a bit salty for that.

Warning: Chili's talk not going away.

I was in Saudi Arabia for 3 months on a work trip.  There was a Chili's within walking distance of our hotel.  I went to that Chili's in that 3 months more times than I've been to the one 5 minutes from my house in probably the last 10 years.  The chips and salsa and fajitas were a nice change of pace.

• Like 4

Just now, aggie08 said:

My wife is one of those "wash the dishes by hand until they're spotless THEN put them in the dishwasher to completely disinfect them" freaks. Dreading when our kids are old enough to tornado through dishes.

Does she realize that there are sensors in dishwashers that check how dirty things are, and that if you clean them before putting them in, they won’t get as thoroughly washed In the dishwasher?

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/why-dirt-gets-your-dishes-really-clean/

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Does she realize that there are sensors in dishwashers that check how dirty things are, and that if you clean them before putting them in, they won’t get as thoroughly washed In the dishwasher?

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/why-dirt-gets-your-dishes-really-clean/

good luck trying to convince a wife of that...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Warning: Chili's talk not going away.

I was in Saudi Arabia for 3 months on a work trip.  There was a Chili's within walking distance of our hotel.  I went to that Chili's in that 3 months more times than I've been to the one 5 minutes from my house in probably the last 10 years.  The chips and salsa and fajitas were a nice change of pace.

Did the same for about 5 years in Dubai. At least once every few months just for a taste of the US. Plus the kids enjoyed it and it was right next to their doctors office. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Sweet?  Huh....never would have described it that way.  It is mild as hell, though, that I'll concede.  I can damned near drink the stuff -- but it's a bit salty for that.

I was always more keen with On The Border's chips and salsa. Back in the day (6 years ago) you could buy a quart of salsa with huge bag of chips from OTB for 5 bucks as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

thats gonna be most wives.  it comes from their mothers who did that also because the dishwashers were kind of shitty back then. 

pro tip: get a new washer that has a really short wash cycle but with extra dry and force her to use that a few times.  the dishes look fine because she already washed them anyway.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

I was always more keen with On The Border's chips and salsa. Back in the day (6 years ago) you could buy a quart of salsa with huge bag of chips from OTB for 5 bucks as well. 

Definitely dig theirs as well.  Huh, maybe chips and salsa at chain restaurants is my guilty pleasure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Did the same for about 5 years in Dubai. At least once every few months just for a taste of the US. Plus the kids enjoyed it and it was right next to their doctors office. 

My folks did the same, except it was with the Hard Rock Cafe in Buenos Aires.  When they wanted a fix of "American food," it did the trick.  They felt a bit embarrassed by it, but what the hell -- sometimes you want a big old American burger.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

yep.  they had very good salsa.  

for the record I have Maudie's as hottest salsa in Austin.

Edited by dcar00

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Back in the day, Chili's burgers weren't awful.  Hangover fodder for sure.  

Chili's has been dead to me since they stopped carrying the Cajun chicken sandwich.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My folks did the same, except it was with the Hard Rock Cafe in Buenos Aires.  When they wanted a fix of "American food," it did the trick.  They felt a bit embarrassed by it, but what the hell -- sometimes you want a big old American burger.

Hard Rock Dubai was another place. Plus you could get beer there. Was a few blocks from the office so would go with boss for a Thursday offsite meeting. 

Since Texas is reopening 

What is everyone's comfort level of participation?

Level 1 - Still Grocery/Curbside/Booze Only - w/Mask

Level 2 - Retail/Restaurant- w/Mask

Level 3 - Retail/Restaurant/Gym/Hair - w/Mask

Level 4 - I do what I want bitch - No Mask

BK's on deck.  Just a matter of time (Retail companies that hadn't effectively built an online presence were screwed anyway, though this sped things up)

Lord & Taylor to liquidate all stores

JCrew filing

Expected to file soon:

• JC Penney
  • Land's End
  • Neiman marcus

Most gyms are going to file for bankruptcy. Gold's Gym already has, although it only affected about 10% of the locations as the rest are owned by franchisees rather than the corporate office.

Since Texas is reopening 

Level 3 checking in.

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Since Texas is reopening 

Curbside no problem. Hitting HEB/Twin Liquor with a mask, no problem. Going to cornerstore for a six pack, wearing a mask, full sanitation. If dips hits are there I wait. 

Don't care about going to the gym. Letting my hair go the route of Spicoli. Don't need to do much shopping. 

In my house I still do what I want. Might put the mask on just to scare the shit out of the dogs. 

• Like 1

France with a case in December.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/world/coronavirus-world-coverage.html?type=styln-live-updates&label=global&index=1&action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-1eff63fa

Most interesting part:

The man who was apparently infected in December had not been outside France since August, indicating that the virus was circulating within the country last fall. It is not clear if he passed it to anyone.[/quote

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away