CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

A non-old person in this day and age who fucks with a person while surrounded by cell phones? They basically crave attention.

For half his life, cell phones have had cameras in them, and any 20-something has probably watched at dozens of Worldstar videos or whatever.

And yet, they still do stupid shit.  I'm willing to bet that dude is spiraling in.

It's going to take a while for society as a whole to realize that there are not only cell phones, but security cameras around.

For you middle-aged guys, just remember, next time a waiter irritates you, and you're thinking about putting his face into the wall, the folks sitting around you might very well pull out cell phones and take photos or video for the cop, rather than provide some poorly drawn police sketch, and the security cameras are not running off of VHS tapes.  Wait until he gets off his shift and is heading to his car or the bus or whatever.

• Drool 1

Next time you run into an anti-vaccine Trump loving type, ask them if Trump would ever hurt America.  When they say "no", ask them why they refuse to take the vaccine that he busted his ass to get developed so fast, to save the lives of Americans everywhere.

It's been a hoot so far with a few people that I've asked about it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I literally cannot hear this song without weeping.  Was talking to my nephew about Isbell and mentioned this.  He started laughing and said, "It's funny that you said that, because the other day Patrice (wife) was picking up Jason (child) and that song came on.  When she got home a few minutes later, she went to unbuckle him and he was crying.  She asked what was wrong and Jason said he was just listening to the song.  So I think you're a pretty damn good songwriter if you can write a song that makes a 6-year-old cry."

Yeah, and half the adults who listen are thinking "that's exactly how I feel", and the other half are thinking "man, I wish I felt that way".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Wow, an online-trained engineer?  What will irony think of next?  

Well, I'm here to tell you that in no uncertain terms I gleaned zero benefit from in-person interactions with a half dozen genius professors I had in graduate engineering school at UT.  So, you know, the math works.  I guess.  #bonfire

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Covid is the helicopter to his Vic Morrow.

toosoon?.gif

Dunno, let's ask John Landis if he can somehow turn it into an adult comedy?  

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is fucking around with kids that are too young to be vaccinated.

wheels is willing to kill children to win the republican primary.   where is the courage in journalism?  just outright ask him....

Governor, are you willing to kill children to win the republican primary?

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 5

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

wheels is willing to kill children to win the republican primary.   where is the courage in journalism?  just outright ask him....

yes he is. 

yes he will.

Gritty | Fuck Around and Find Out | Know Your Meme

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Texas has open primaries.  I've seen a few people talking about crossing over and voting against Abbott.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Next time you run into an anti-vaccine Trump loving type, ask them if Trump would ever hurt America.  When they say "no", ask them why they refuse to take the vaccine that he busted his ass to get developed so fast, to save the lives of Americans everywhere.

I avoid them like the plague.  Don't want their germs.  

Hell, I have basically told people if you are not vaccinated, I want nothing to do with you until you get your head out of your ass.  I am done with it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

i dont give a fuck anymore. i wear my mask as much as possible, sometimes i forget but im starting to stash one in my pocket all the time now. im vaccinated and will gladly get my booster shot in oct. there's an upcoming variant of delta that will extremely brutal. i only hope the children's vaccine is cleared asap 

i fish and i hunt, play golf - i always say 'mother nature gives zero fucks'. you better check the forecast and respect the conditions. it can all change in a heart beat. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, brakeman said:

Georgia and Florida setting the bar pretty high. Can Abbott surpass them and put Texas on top of the podium?

https://fortune.com/2021/08/16/atlanta-schools-covid-19-cases-delta-variant/

Schools opened in the Atlanta metro area on Aug. 2. Now, just two weeks later, the number of COVID-19 cases among students and faculty has exploded to nearly 4,000.

PAID CONTENT

Finance faces long road to data and analytics maturity

FROM WORKDAY

The startling numbers, gathered by the Atlanta Journal–Constitution, show just how rapidly the virus is spreading in the state. And administrators are quickly rethinking their plans, with 10 districts suspending in-person learning already.

The change has come so fast that some teachers aren’t conducting live online classes, instead only posting assignments for children to complete. Statewide, 1.7 million students attend public schools in Georgia.

Despite the growing numbers, many parents in affected districts are still voicing opposition to mask requirements for schoolchildren (defying a growing national trend). Fulton County, where Atlanta is located, is making masks optional, but Atlanta Public Schools are requiring masks.

The suburbs of Decatur, Clayton County, DeKalb County, Douglas County, Gwinnett County, and Henry County also are requiring masks. (Henry County switched to a mandate only last week. It reported 822 individuals in quarantine Monday.)

At least two districts in the area have delayed the start of the school year. And some, such as Ware County, have suspended class operations entirely as a result of the high number of cases. Students aren’t expected to return there until Sept. 7.

Many other school districts, which previously said they would not post data on COVID cases or offer contact tracing, have since reversed their policies.

Georgia has been a hotbed for COVID-19 in recent weeks. The state’s seven-day rolling average topped 6,000 on Friday, the worst it has been since Feb. 1. More than 4,200 people have been hospitalized, with health care officials warning they are running low on beds and staff. (More than 87% of the state’s ICU beds are in use, and over 40 hospitals statewide are turning away patients.)

Gov. Brian Kemp has resisted calls to mandate vaccines or masks.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, but wouldn't entail voting for an even bigger fuckstick like Huffines?

This.  The people who could potentially primary him are going to be lunatics. High stakes poker to choose a lunatic who probably has a 50/50 shot of winning the general election.  Abbott has lost his fucking mind, but he’s preferable to the R alternatives who think he’s a liberal pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas has open primaries.  I've seen a few people talking about crossing over and voting against Abbott.

The Texas GQP is a hydra. Strike down Abbott and either West, or Huffhines will take control. Those guys will make DeDipshit down in Florida look competent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

here is NZ trying to do it right? or is that wrong? 

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/17/asia/new-zealand-lockdown-one-case-intl-hnk/index.html

we fucking science fair experiments down here. not gettnig vaccinated, not getting any herd immunity, just time capsules. when we ever decide to reenter the world we will die when the wind blows the wrong way

9 hours ago, Bookman said:

I have a feeling that he didn't actually ask his doctor about the vaccine. Either that or his doctor hated him.

Jokes apart, maybe there is a doctor who gave him reckless medical information, and he failed to get a second opinion.

But it's misinformation, and others probably acted on it, at least to some degree. Which makes me wonder how much human misery his initial post contributed to.

Anyway, R.I.P. Nebyank. It's a shame you decided to take an unnecessary gamble with your life.

1 hour ago, staboner said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/17/asia/new-zealand-lockdown-one-case-intl-hnk/index.html

we fucking science fair experiments down here. not gettnig vaccinated, not getting any herd immunity, just time capsules. when we ever decide to reenter the world we will die when the wind blows the wrong way

Why don’t y’all have vaccines. How did the government not lock any down? Or problems with people taking them?  Haven’t seen much of what going on down there other than crazy levels of lockdowns. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think this is a mistake. Going for 0 Covid, which is the NZ, Australia, and China approach is a fuck up.

I'm not sure what is going on with NZ and OZ vaccination, but I think not having any production in one of them is a fucking massive issue.
  • Hook 'Em 2

A Facebook post from the Smith County Reformer, a long-time Mississippi publication, said Sunday a prayer rally was held for 13 year-old Smith County student Mkayla Robinson, noting she'd died from coronavirus-related complications.

----

The district did not mandate mask-wearing, instead leaving it up to students and staff to decide, according to a district back-to-school plan. They reversed the decision on Aug. 10, requiring everyone on campuses to don masks. 

Smith County School District isn't the only hard-hit school district in Mississippi. The most recent Mississippi State Department of Health data show over 4,400 students in 43 of Mississippi's 82 counties are quarantined due to COVID-19 exposure. Almost 800 students tested positive from Aug. 2 to 6.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2021/08/16/fifth-child-mississippi-dies-covid-19/8150426002/

Baylor College of Medicine didn’t intend for its new-student orientation to become a case study in breakthrough infections.

In retrospect, the photographed smiles and cheery video on Baylor’s Facebook page, look ominous. On Monday, July 26, around 200 people — mainly first-year medical students wearing hot-pink theme-weekend T-shirts — gathered inside a Baylor building and loaded plates from a breakfast buffet. They weren’t socially distanced, and in the photos, the only masks visible are in people’s hands or dangle from their wrists.

But why should the affair have been any different? It was Monday, July 26, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines at the time, it was safe for groups of vaccinated people to gather unmasked.

Baylor requires its students to be vaccinated, and 97 percent of the 189-member Class of 2025 were not merely vaccinated but fully vaccinated — a statistic unlikely to be equaled by many other groups in Texas. They were a young, healthy crowd. If it was safe for any large group to gather indoors unmasked, it should have been safe for this one.

As instructed, the first-years did mask up to ride limousine buses two hours north, to the Retreat at Artesian Lakes in the Piney Woods. But after they arrived, they milled about mask-free, playing getting-to-know you games. They ate meals together inside the dining hall, and spent much of their time sitting close together outdoors in small groups. They bunked in the property’s cabins.

On Tuesday, the limo buses carried them back to Houston.

Notably, that was also the day that the CDC changed its recommendation about vaccinated people and masking. An outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., documented by citizen scientists, had shown that delta was different from the variants that had come before. Delta, it turned out, can be passed from vaccinated person to vaccinated person.

That announcement, of course, came too late for the first-years.

In the following days, some of the students began to feel sick.

By the end of the first week of August, 11 of the first-years — six percent of the class — had tested positive for COVID.

Followed CDC guidelines
In the Provincetown outbreak, three-fourths of the people infected were fully vaccinated. The good news was that their vaccinations clearly protected them — they were far less likely than unvaccinated people infected with delta to become so sick they needed to be hospitalized, or to die.

The bad news was that the vaccinated didn’t escape scot-free and asymptomatic: 79 percent of the people with those Provincetown breakthrough infections experienced symptoms — coughs, fevers, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of taste and smell.

Something similar appears to have been the case at Baylor. Soon after the orientation, students began reporting the familiar flu-like symptoms to the medical school’s administration. One first-year student said they knew of “several” people who were sick, not just asymptomatic. (Anxious not to jeopardize a budding medical career, the student asked to remain anonymous.)

SALE! 26 WEEKS FOR 99¢
Most Popular
Texas Supreme Court blocks local mask mandates
Inside a Galveston ICU, young patients desperately cling to life
HISD warns of discipline for students, staff who don't wear masks
COVID live updates: Texas requests 5 mortuary trailers
Astros' Kyle Tucker out indefinitely for health and safety protocols
Baylor College of Medicine orientation turns into COVID cluster
NIH director Collins addresses COVID threat in Texas schools
Why Deshaun Watson wasn't at Texans practice
Beloved Austin High School JROTC instructor dies at 63
Interactive maps, charts show spread of COVID-19 across Houston

LOCAL
//
HEALTH
Baylor College of Medicine student orientation turns into COVID cluster
Photo of Lisa Gray
Lisa Gray
Staff writer
Updated: Aug. 14, 2021 8:06 a.m.
Comments
Baylor College of Medicine students pose after receiving their white coats in a ceremony at the Bayou City Event Center on Friday, Aug. 13, 2021.
of
Baylor College of Medicine students pose after receiving their white coats in a ceremony at the Bayou City Event Center on Friday, Aug. 13, 2021.

Annie Mulligan, Houston Chronicle / Contributor

Baylor College of Medicine didn’t intend for its new-student orientation to become a case study in breakthrough infections.

In retrospect, the photographed smiles and cheery video on Baylor’s Facebook page, look ominous. On Monday, July 26, around 200 people — mainly first-year medical students wearing hot-pink theme-weekend T-shirts — gathered inside a Baylor building and loaded plates from a breakfast buffet. They weren’t socially distanced, and in the photos, the only masks visible are in people’s hands or dangle from their wrists.

But why should the affair have been any different? It was Monday, July 26, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines at the time, it was safe for groups of vaccinated people to gather unmasked.

SALE! 26 WEEKS FOR 99¢
ACT NOW

COVID Help Desk: I'm fully vaccinated and just tested positive. What should I do?

Baylor requires its students to be vaccinated, and 97 percent of the 189-member Class of 2025 were not merely vaccinated but fully vaccinated — a statistic unlikely to be equaled by many other groups in Texas. They were a young, healthy crowd. If it was safe for any large group to gather indoors unmasked, it should have been safe for this one.

As instructed, the first-years did mask up to ride limousine buses two hours north, to the Retreat at Artesian Lakes in the Piney Woods. But after they arrived, they milled about mask-free, playing getting-to-know you games. They ate meals together inside the dining hall, and spent much of their time sitting close together outdoors in small groups. They bunked in the property’s cabins.

On Tuesday, the limo buses carried them back to Houston.

Notably, that was also the day that the CDC changed its recommendation about vaccinated people and masking. An outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., documented by citizen scientists, had shown that delta was different from the variants that had come before. Delta, it turned out, can be passed from vaccinated person to vaccinated person.

That announcement, of course, came too late for the first-years.

In the following days, some of the students began to feel sick.

By the end of the first week of August, 11 of the first-years — six percent of the class — had tested positive for COVID.

Followed CDC guidelines
In the Provincetown outbreak, three-fourths of the people infected were fully vaccinated. The good news was that their vaccinations clearly protected them — they were far less likely than unvaccinated people infected with delta to become so sick they needed to be hospitalized, or to die.

The bad news was that the vaccinated didn’t escape scot-free and asymptomatic: 79 percent of the people with those Provincetown breakthrough infections experienced symptoms — coughs, fevers, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of taste and smell.

Something similar appears to have been the case at Baylor. Soon after the orientation, students began reporting the familiar flu-like symptoms to the medical school’s administration. One first-year student said they knew of “several” people who were sick, not just asymptomatic. (Anxious not to jeopardize a budding medical career, the student asked to remain anonymous.)

That student is alarmed that the school didn’t send a mass email immediately, after the first indication that students at the orientation had been exposed: “There was radio silence for a couple of days.”

On Saturday, July 31, two members of Baylor’s student-affairs staff emailed the first-years and upper classmen who had attended the retreat: “There has been a potential COVID exposure,” they warned.

As sick and exposed students quarantined, Baylor canceled the first week of in-person classes. Family and friends were disinvited to the Aug. 13 white-coat ceremony, in which first-years take an oath and receive their doctor’s garb. Many students were angry, said the first-year: They wanted their loved ones to be present.

“Baylor followed the CDC guidelines,” said Jennifer Christner, dean of Baylor College of Medicine. The cluster of cases — she doesn’t call it an outbreak — was contained.

Maybe a best-case scenario
Maybe, as one of the country’s top medical schools, Baylor could have been better prepared for a COVID cluster. Maybe, even before the CDC’s announcement, Baylor could have somehow have sussed out that the delta variant plays by different rules, and that even vaccinated people need to wear masks while hanging out with other vaccinated people indoors. Maybe it could have alerted students faster.

But given what Texas educational institutions are up against, the cluster at Baylor College of Medicine may be a best-case scenario. Consider that while the delta variant is filling Texas ERs and ICUS, Texas colleges and K-12 schools begin in-person classes this month. Remember that a patchwork of mask rules applies, with some schools not requiring them. That students under age 12 are ineligible to be vaccinated, and that less than a third of adolescents are vaccinated, and far less than half of college-aged people.

If six percent of students were infected in two days, in a group that’s 97 percent fully vaccinated and who follow medical advice, imagine what could happen somewhere else.

None of the Baylor students were hospitalized. None died. None, so far as is known, infected a fragile family member or an unvaccinated friend. The school took measures, and the chain of infections stopped.

In the grim era of the delta variant, that counts as a happy ending.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i dont give a fuck anymore. i wear my mask as much as possible, sometimes i forget but im starting to stash one in my pocket all the time now.

I like to pretend I'm an Japanese anime girl with superpowers named Sakura when I wear my mask.  It makes the whole endeavor more fun and sexy.

HD-wallpaper-anime-girls-black-hair-brow

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The question isn’t is he willing - that’s been answered.

The question is how many children will have to end up in the hospital for him to stop trying to kill kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, on the whole Abbott "kill kids".  Abbott and the Republicans are guilty of absolutely moronic ideas regarding liberty, the Constitution, and masking.  But ultimately, I think they'd justify their approach along the lines of how parents are allowed to keep guns in the house, or travel with their kids in cars, or take their kids out on the boat, or the myriad of other activities where government does not prohibit parents from accepting risk on behalf of their children.

I think the above is the most fucked up logic in the world, but warped though it be, given Abbott's argument that he's not prohibiting anyone from wearing a mask, I think it does make the "he wants to kill kids" to win reelection a bit much.

Irresponsible, a dereliction of duty, etc.?  Sure.

44 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

The question isn’t is he willing - that’s been answered.

The question is how many children will have to end up in the hospital for him to stop trying to kill kids.

as long as the "muh rights" crowd is cheering him on he'll keep it up. 

the trumpier candidates are just waiting for him to back down so they can pounce. it's insane.