CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not a lawyer, but it sounds like a lot of districts are just going to eat the fines and continue with their mask ordinances.  Abbott can't sic the DPS on them, and if he tries to force the to TEA to withhold funding from the largest districts, that'll be a good fuck around and find out moment.

He's gonna pull their liquor licenses too

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

This is my issue too - what, exactly, is his concern here?  It's not too dangerous/scary/new/gene altering, whatever the fuk for his wife and daughter but it is for him?  I really don't understand how people like Joe process decisions like this.

It was ok for his wife/offspring to get the shot, but for him to keep his street cred with the rest of the Aryan brotherhood, he had to forego the shot.

• Rage+1 2

Crazy that it's such a big deal for Abbott that no one has a mask mandate. It's not like anyone is forcing a school district or county to have a mask mandate. It's letting local leaders decide for themselves. Which of course, we know it boils down to 4 or 5 counties that Abbott cares about since they're led by Democrats.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not a lawyer, but it sounds like a lot of districts are just going to eat the fines and continue with their mask ordinances.  Abbott can't sic the DPS on them, and if he tries to force the to TEA to withhold funding from the largest districts, that'll be a good fuck around and find out moment.

I gotta say, Abbott and Paxton are owning this so damned hard, it's breathtaking. 

They are owning this in a way that you rarely see Republican politicians own a natural disaster.  Really amazing given that people still remember February, and the Republican primaries are 6-7 months away, and Delta shit has already gone off the rails.

Interesting legal plot line - governmental entities are immune from fines unless immunity is waived.  Governmental immunity can only be waived by the legislature.  The legislature has not waived immunity for failure to comply with Abbott's emergency orders.  Good chance local governments cannot be compelled to pain Abbott's fines.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

The enforcement of a mask mandate will create drama in the schools. Mom tells Little Johnny to not wear the mask but then Principal Skinner doesn't allow Johnny in the classroom. Mom freaks out that her child is being discriminated especially when her governor is telling her that Johnny doesn't need to wear that mask. 

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is that for sure the guy, Ryan Bartles?  Graduates UVA, interns at Goldman, and then associate at Arlington Cap P/E firm?  That shop is not nothing.  And now he's a manager at CarMax?  Weird trajectory.  And apparently he left Car Max a couple months ago.  

any of y'all on social media can find him?.    

I know, I know...Incrudelity.  to fuck with his livelihood is to suppress his First Amendment right to Free Speech.  I know, I know.  He'll probably be a groomer for Matt Gaetz before the week is out, but in the meantime...I'd like to fuck with him a bit.  Just so he can find out.  If Anonymous had half a ball, they'd fuck with his finances or cell phone.  Major employers won't touch him.  Social media can lambaste him.  But there are other options where you never lay a hand on him.  But he slowly kills himself anyway.  It's super fun to watch. 

is this the same person? Man, my children have received scholarships and they have kept in touch with the funders and donors and would be absolutely ashamed to conduct themselves in a way that mocks the generosity that has allowed them to further their education.

From 2012:

Bartels.png.5361c917d56187fdc4a56dd17233ac3a.png

Buffalo native, Ryan Bartels is embarking on the next journey of his life. In April, he was awarded the 2012 Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Jefferson Scholarship at the University of Virginia. 

The scholarship is a four year, full ride merit based scholarship which focuses on areas of leadership, citizenship and scholarship. It includes four years of full tuition, room, board, books and a stipend for miscellaneous expenses. 

Bartels, a recent graduate of Canisius High School was ecstatic upon winning the scholarship. Hearing about the scholarship from his fellow teammates on the rowing team, he immediately applied and took a chance at the opportunity.

"At the end of my junior year, The University of Virginia was one of my top schools," said Bartels. "A few friends on the rowing team had applied for the program in the past which is how I learned about it.  Ever since I've been young I always wanted to go there. It was a great opportunity so I went for it and ended up getting lucky."

The selection process is quite rigorous.  Over 1,100 senior high school students from across the country and internationally are nominated and compete for the scholarship at a regional level.  Approximately 100 attend the national selection weekend in Charlottesville, and 30 will attend the University as Jefferson Scholars each year.

The high school graduate has always been a part of academic leadership. As an integral part of the Canisius rowing team, he exemplified courage and although not a captain shared with his teammates what it takes to work as a whole.

"I have been a part of the Canisius rowing team for the past four years, which has played a big part in my career," said the Jefferson Scholar awardee. "Although I was not a captain, it allowed me to be a leader on the team because a lot of the guys looked up to me as someone who had done well at the national level. I taught my teammates not to be cocky no matter how well we do."

Bartels was selected for a series of interviews, and attended a dinner to meet other finalists and panel judges.

"A few weeks later, I got called back for the second interview," said Ryan. "They alerted me that I was one of the two finalists in the area. The other one was Gabi Jehle who went to my grade school, which I thought was cool."

Gabi Jehle also received a small scholarship from the Jefferson Scholars Foundation and will be attending the University of Virginia this fall.

Upon receiving the scholarship, Bartels received a personalized letter from Mr. Wilson congratulating him on his success.

"He congratulated me and let me know he is a University of Virginia graduate himself, which I thought was very neat," said Bartels. "I hope I can live up to his expectations. I am very grateful for his being a benefactor for the scholarship."

The scholarship means the world to the recent graduate. To be able to attend a university that he would not have been able to attend without the scholarship is a dream come true.

"I wouldn't have been able to attend this university without this scholarship," said Bartels. "This scholarship is making education possible for me, and I am ever grateful for that."

Ryan knows that college is just the next chapter in his life, and he is fully ready to take the reins.

"Choosing a college is the biggest decision of your life, and going to this university is going to shape the rest of my life."

Bartels encourages other incoming seniors to learn more about the scholarship program and take a stab at applying.

"At the beginning of the process, I didn't think I had a shot," said Ryan. "I worked hard and was genuine throughout the process. Other seniors who want to go after this gift should."

Ralph C. Wilson, Jr endowed the scholarship to the Jefferson Scholars Foundation at the University of Virginia which created a Buffalo Regional Selection Committee that made Buffalo secondary schools eligible to nominate students to receive the scholarship.  The Buffalo Regional Selection process has been in place since 2003 and is made up of the following members, made up of local alumni of the University and Buffalo Community Leaders.

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is that for sure the guy, Ryan Bartles?  Graduates UVA, interns at Goldman, and then associate at Arlington Cap P/E firm?  That shop is not nothing.  And now he's a manager at CarMax?  Weird trajectory. 

From the outside looking in, it looks like a guy on a downwards spiral who is burnt in his network and has to leverage the brand names on his resume to get a position with less prestige/upside. And then loses it. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The enforcement of a mask mandate will create drama in the schools. Mom tells Little Johnny to not wear the mask but then Principal Skinner doesn't allow Johnny in the classroom. Mom freaks out that her child is being discriminated especially when her governor is telling her that Johnny doesn't need to wear that mask. 

This was happening at my daughter's HS this spring. Kid would come to school every day, refuse to wear a mask and was sent home. Made a big production about it. Parents raised all kinds of hell online, etc. Parents sued the district. Not sure what happened from there but this all in the middle of an extremely contentious school board election. Just crazy.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

is this the same person? Man, my children have received scholarships and they have kept in touch with the funders and donors and would be absolutely ashamed to conduct themselves in a way that mocks the generosity that has allowed them to further their education.

From 2012:

Bartels.png.5361c917d56187fdc4a56dd17233ac3a.png

Damn, a Jeffersonian Scholar?  That's the program, along with Moorehouse at UNC, that we built the Forty Acres Scholars program at UT to mirror.  Gonna be a damn shame when the program coordinator, who keeps in close tabs with ours at Texas Exes finds out about this.  He is gonna be ex-communicated from his alma mater.  A Jefferson Scholar pin from UVA is a big fucking deal on the East Coast.  Kid's gonna have to rely on finding the most racist assholes in his alumni base to plead with for his next job.  They can't ask him for the money back but he can absolutely be scrubbed from the record of that program. 

A big allure of that Jefferson program is that you are immediately, and forever, placed in high touch with the upper echelon of UVA's alumni base (same as it is with FAS/UT).  The program coordinators work with every graduate years after they leave campus to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and networks.  Next to the money, it's the biggest selling point to recruits who often turn down partial offers at Ivy League schools and Stanford to attend UVA.  In a single minute video, that is all gone now, Ryan.  All of it.  Forever.  Because of who you chose to follow, your life will never be what it could have been.  You just lost your single greatest asset in this lifetime and in your children's lifetime.  Your badge of honor will be stripped later this week and you will be a man with no country.  And for what?  To flame out in the hopes that some Trump loving asshole somewhere would high-five you over Twitter.  Everything you worked so hard for in high school and at UVA is gone, in an instant.  You'll still cobble out a decent life.  But you'll lose the Jefferson Scholar title and you're a pariah to your alumni base for the rest of your life.  You're a walking asterisk.  A living Twilight Zone episode of the man who cannot be acknowledged.  Congrats kid.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Damn, a Jeffersonian Scholar?  That's the program, along with Moorehouse at UNC, that we built the Forty Acres Scholars program at UT to mirror.  Gonna be a damn shame when the program coordinator, who keeps in close tabs with ours at Texas Exes finds out about this.  He is gonna be ex-communicated from his alma mater.  A Jefferson Scholar pin from UVA is a big fucking deal on the East Coast.  Kid's gonna have to rely on finding the most racist assholes in his alumni base to plead with for his next job.  They can't ask him for the money back but he can absolutely be scrubbed from the record of that program. 

A big allure of that Jefferson program is that you are immediately, and forever, placed in high touch with the upper echelon of UVA's alumni base (same as it is with FAS/UT).  The program coordinators work with every graduate years after they leave campus to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and networks.  Next to the money, it's the biggest selling point to recruits who often turn down partial offers at Ivy League schools and Stanford to attend UVA.  In a single minute video, that is all gone now, Ryan.  All of it.  Forever.  Because of who you chose to follow, your life will never be what it could have been.  You just lost your single greatest asset in this lifetime and in your children's lifetime.  Your badge of honor will be stripped later this week and you will be a man with no country.  And for what?  To flame out in the hopes that some Trump loving asshole somewhere would high-five you over Twitter.  Everything you worked so hard for in high school and at UVA is gone, in an instant.  You'll still cobble out a decent life.  But you'll lose the Jefferson Scholar title and you're a pariah to your alumni base for the rest of your life.  You're a walking asterisk.  A living Twilight Zone episode of the man who cannot be acknowledged.  Congrats kid.  

I didn't do any double checking, just going off of what you said in earlier posts, so I cannot confirm that is the same man, but if so he really wasted a chance to do something good in the world.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You guys sure you have the right person for that subway harassment? I've seen enough of these to know that the internet can be hit-or-miss when it comes to doxxing bad guys.

Doesn't look like the same guy to me, but I'm still laughing at CarMax.  I reserve that right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I ain't doing shit, yet.  The Ryan Bartels photo/description seem to match him.  There is a UVA Jeffersonian Scholar out there with that CV.  But whether he's this cat from the Q train...that remains to be seen.  A few more days, I suspect it'll get confirmed or disposed.  At that point, if it really is him from UVA...most of his world will turn their back on him.  And I'll rush to help them do it.   I'm hanging back either way.  Somebody would also have to convince me of how he got from high level jobs in Virginia to working a Jersey CarMax.  I'm guessing within 72 hours, a legit confirmation can be made.  But yeah, I ain't saying shit just yet.  I have no social media presence and no internet detective skills so I'l l leave it to the experts.

Is that for sure the guy, Ryan Bartles?  Graduates UVA, interns at Goldman, and then associate at Arlington Cap P/E firm?  That shop is not nothing.  And now he's a manager at CarMax?  Weird trajectory.  And apparently he left Car Max a couple months ago.  
any of y'all on social media can find him?.    
I know, I know...Incrudelity.  to fuck with his livelihood is to suppress his First Amendment right to Free Speech.  I know, I know.  He'll probably be a groomer for Matt Gaetz before the week is out, but in the meantime...I'd like to fuck with him a bit.  Just so he can find out.  If Anonymous had half a ball, they'd fuck with his finances or cell phone.  Major employers won't touch him.  Social media can lambaste him.  But there are other options where you never lay a hand on him.  But he slowly kills himself anyway.  It's super fun to watch. 
He has the same bulge on the left side of his nose.

yeah, doesn't look quite like the same guy.  You'd think somebody that doesn't like him would just say, "Yep, that's this guy John Q. Asshole and he lives in Jersey now and I see him all the time and here's another recent pic.  And he's an asshole."  Like I said, we should hang back until conformation.  Some folks can just look at a photograph from ten years ago and know that's the same guy.  Some people can also accurately predict, and draw out, what somebody is gonna look like ten years from now (like those software programs they use to see what wanted ex-cons would look like now).  I cannot do that shit, I barely know what people I know really well, look like right now.  

However, Matt Gaetz knows what 17 years old girls are gonna look like in ten years and he is willing to bone them into the future.  

13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You guys sure you have the right person for that subway harassment? I've seen enough of these to know that the internet can be hit-or-miss when it comes to doxxing bad guys.

Yeah, no, I would never act on anything w/o a positive ID because things get steamrolled with vigilante internet warriors. It's one thing to gather info, quite another to put in motion.

I did think this guy, Matt Bartels (who is supposedly a father to a Ryan Bartels) did resemble the young man. But there are a LOT of Bartels in the greater Buffalo MSA. Apparently they like to attend Canisius High School and many go on to attend Canisius, itself.

MattBartels.png.73f47c7b1652365089206530d610b324.png

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
To add, the young scholar above would have been about 18 in 2012 which would make him around 27 now.

13 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

if that is the same dude, going full ride UVA to selling cars guaranteed to beat any written offer by $500 absolutely tracks the other burnouts that are loudly participating in the present right wing nonsense. 

Good point.  I still say we wait to anything damaging.  But he may deserve full kudos for being at the vanguard of the new wave of Trump Militia....

"Oh, y'all are in real estate?  How quaint.  We're his true soldiers!  We only came here to do things...kick some ass and extend some warranties.  And it looks like we're all out of warranties...FREEDOM!"  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Is that for sure the guy, Ryan Bartles?  Graduates UVA, interns at Goldman, and then associate at Arlington Cap P/E firm?  That shop is not nothing.  And now he's a manager at CarMax?  Weird trajectory. 

Indicates that this was not his first asshole stunt.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
Isbell is at the top of the songwriting world these days.  He is the new Prine/Kristofferson/Clark.

I literally cannot hear this song without weeping.  Was talking to my nephew about Isbell and mentioned this.  He started laughing and said, "It's funny that you said that, because the other day Patrice (wife) was picking up Jason (child) and that song came on.  When she got home a few minutes later, she went to unbuckle him and he was crying.  She asked what was wrong and Jason said he was just listening to the song.  So I think you're a pretty damn good songwriter if you can write a love song that makes a 6-year-old boy cry."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/denton-city-leaders-disagree-new-mask-requirement-will-not-enforce-it/287-38c9d6b8-194b-4ca6-9c38-642d1f3f4f93

Deb Armintor is one of the city council members who supported the measure, which passed 5-2.

“It was an absolute no-brainer,” Armintor said. “This is one of the most important ways, this mask, that we can fight COVID. Without it, we are going into war without our body armor on.”

Mayor Gerard Hudspeth was one of the two votes in opposition. 

“We can motivate people to change. What you can’t do is mandate people to change,” Hudspeth said. “So when that young host or hostess is working in that restaurant and they have to confront someone we’re not coming to help you. We’re not going to enforce it. It puts those on the frontlines in harm’s way and I’m not willing to do that.”

Thanks Mr. Mayor

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Three more days until I go back to teach. We have a mask mandate, and a non-insane governor, but I still dread it. Even if, IF, I don't have to deal with any Death Culters in my own classes, there is almost no chance that some professors and their students don't blow it off and loll around rooms that I need to use later, hacking up their plague gobbits.

I am not 1/10th as exposed or stressed as Trauma Babe or other medical people, but I am still fucking scared. Been having nightmares almost every night about first day of class, how to finesse total strangers into taking precautions without blowing my stack.

Contingency plans include

-- Having assignments already pre-printed to give the students to take home and do, so I don't have to deal with mouth breathers who work in the office, or have to stick around inside if it's raining.

-- Rain matters, because if it's sunny, we will have regular class outside, and I will get to know them from a safe distance.

-- Gonna hammer hammer hammer that we are following the guidelines, maybe I'll have some Prior Service people in the class who can explain what real masking (MOPP4) feels like vs this little cloth thing.

-- My classes are not officially online, but damned if they won't be if I detect any foolishness in the building.

Shit fuck dammit.

You need to have a zero tolerance policy. You see a kid with his mask down by his neck warn him and the class once.  If it happens again tell him to GTFO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Alrighty then.

So far, the guy has not come out to comment or deny.  I find it suspicious that his LinkedIn profile is missing and Carmax has already said this person stopped working here in May 2021.  

The videos say he is from NJ, which he may be now, but his job at Carmax was in Richmond, VA (is that Carmax's HQ?  Seems like he was more on the corporate side of things), and went to HS in Buffalo.