CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

FYI, regarding the Cardinal, his stance is pretty outside of mainstream.  Most Catholic writings says Pfizer and Moderna are perfectly fine because there was no aborted tissue used in their creation.  J&J doesn't pass that test, but then with J&J, it is still say it is a weighing issue and you should take the "least bad" path based on your morality: either utilizing 'illicit' material or risking hurting the vulnerable around you.

I'm getting confused folks.  I was told that the reason no one worked was because of unemployment, and how it ought to be curtailed because people were taking advantage of it.  I mean, that is/was a key GOP talking point, right?

https://wisconsinexaminer.com/2021/08/13/republican-lawmakers-give-jobless-pay-to-workers-who-reject-covid-19-vaccine-requirements/

A GOP-authored proposal to grant unemployment pay to employees who quit their jobs to avoid a COVID-19 vaccine has exactly the wrong end of the stick, a small business lobbying group says.

“The best thing that can be done to help address labor shortages and help small businesses is to increase vaccination rates,” according to Main Street Alliance, which issued a statement Friday morning on the draft legislation.

In an unusual move, Gov. Tony Evers’ office swiftly announced the governor’s intentions for the proposal should it reach his desk. “.@GovEvers will veto this bill,” tweeted spokesperson Britt Cudaback just before 6 p.m. Thursday. (Evers rarely threatens a veto outright, even when Capitol observers are fairly confident of his intentions.)

The draft bill and a co-sponsorship memo surfaced Thursday and were first reported on Twitter by Scott Gordon, the publisher of the culture news and commentary website Tone Madison.

The proposal would create an exemption to Wisconsin's unemployment insurance law that would allow someone who is fired or voluntarily quits because an employer requires a COVID-19 vaccine, or proof of vaccination, to collect unemployment compensation.

The lead sponsors of the legislation are Reps. Robert Brooks (R-Saukville), Dan Knodl (R-Germantown) and Rick Gundrum (R-Slinger) and Sen. Duey Stroebel (R-Saukville).

“Individuals are better able to determine their personal healthcare needs than government bureaucrats, elected officials, or employers,” the co-sponsorship memo from the authors declares. “Protecting those rights is of paramount importance.”

The legislation’s origins were in striking contrast to the stances that Wisconsin Republican lawmakers, including the sponsors, have taken to put tighter controls and restrictions on applicants for unemployment insurance (UI).

In May, Stroebel voted with the Republican majority when a joint legislative committee reinstated a requirement that people collecting jobless pay undertake four work searches every week. The requirement had been suspended under an emergency rule early in the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Twitter, unemployment compensation lawyer Victor Forberger observed that by ending the emergency rule, Republicans had also removed “progressive emergency regs that allowed regular UI because you stayed out of work because of covid.”

The four co-authors of the new proposal also voted with GOP majorities in both houses of the Legislature voting to cut off a federal $300 pandemic supplement to unemployed workers. Evers vetoed the legislation, and a party-line vote fell short of the two-thirds needed to override the veto. That payment automatically ends Sept. 4.

Republican lawmakers pushing to end the supplement have repeatedly contended it was responsible for labor shortages because with the extra pay, workers were getting paid more to stay home — although there has been little evidence for the claim. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m at the point where I think the best solution to vaccine resistance is good old-fashioned reverse psychology. The CDC should announce via a “leaked” memo that vaccines are in short supply and are henceforth only available for the following groups:

- Minorities

- Registered Democrats

- Graduate degree holders

- Atheists

- Fans of foreign cinema

- Planned Parenthood contributors

- ACLU members

- Immigrants

Of course, pharmacies and doctors will be instructed to give a vaccine to anyone who asks for one, while pretending to do the vaccine recipient a “favor” by going off the books.

Throngs of idiots who formerly refused to get vaccinated would storm clinics, demanding vaccines.

Agreed. We are at the stage where classic sitcom plot devices could be our best hope of combatting this real pandemic. 

May need to add more ledge space.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

It makes me ragey to see people as selfish and stupid as this guy.  AND FOR WHAT????

Can someone please explain this particular brand of brain worms to me? I doubt he was afraid of "being a guinea pig" if he readily offered up his wife and daughters for vaccination. Is it really as simple as "my wife and daughters are fragile and high risk, but I no need because I big strong man"?

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a middle-aged guy, I'm terrified of not being around for my elementary school-aged kids to make it through high school and into college and beyond, so I'm pro-active as hell when it comes to healthcare, vaccines, etc.

Before my kid was born, I was about 60 lbs overweight and hadn’t been to the doctor in close to a decade. Kid born -> regular doctor visits -> lost 60 lbs.

The idea of not being around for all that good stuff — not being around for him or me — is terrifying. I can’t imagine risking that because of my political beliefs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

SIAP

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZWJpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGOTcwMzEuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

“The level of non-compliance by some members of the community is unacceptable and we will be doubling down with compliance and enforcement to make sure we get ahead of the Delta strain,” Deputy Commissioner Lanyon said.

“There will be nowhere to hide if you are doing the wrong thing. If you travel anywhere beyond your LGA at the moment, you are putting everyone else in NSW at considerable risk.

6 minutes ago, Mole said:

The idea of not being around for all that good stuff — not being around for him or me — is terrifying. I can’t imagine risking that because of my political beliefs.

It’s way beyond political beliefs. It’s an alternate reality. They truly believe this shit. It’s horrifying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Isn't that what the Catholic church has been doing since it was founded?  You have to do xyz, otherwise you will go to hell.  

I said believe in me
Or to hell with you
Ain't that exactly
What your Jesus would do?

- Todd Snider

50 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Agreed. We are at the stage where classic sitcom plot devices could be our best hope of combatting this real pandemic. 

Yeah, I’m actually not kidding. We’re dealing with (figurative) children at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Yep, these mouth-breathers think an oft-failed, spoiled brat reality TV star is the Savior.  They would absolutely fall for a sitcom plot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Can someone please explain this particular brand of brain worms to me? I doubt he was afraid of "being a guinea pig" if he readily offered up his wife and daughters for vaccination. Is it really as simple as "my wife and daughters are fragile and high risk, but I no need because I big strong man"?

This is my issue too - what, exactly, is his concern here?  It's not too dangerous/scary/new/gene altering, whatever the fuk for his wife and daughter but it is for him?  I really don't understand how people like Joe process decisions like this.

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s way beyond political beliefs. It’s an alternate reality. They truly believe this shit. It’s horrifying. 

Which begs the question, for these that are fucking around and finding out, is it really a loss to the rest of us?  I am having a real hard time mustering any sympathy.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a middle-aged guy, I'm terrified of not being around for my elementary school-aged kids to make it through high school and into college and beyond, so I'm pro-active as hell when it comes to healthcare, vaccines, etc.

Having kids is when I first started working out, and I had mine later in life.  Wanting to see them to adulthood was reason number one.  Reason number two was lacking the energy to chase them around as little ones, which I realized quickly I needed.  I changed my diet as well, although that went off and on for a while until I got with it.  But yes, yearly health checks, working out, eating better, all those responsible things I had somehow ignore most of my adult life.  All changed b/c of kids.   It is one of the many ways they saved me, if I think about it.  Edit:  And adding a life saving vaccine was never a question for me, which really shouldn't have to be said.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

This is my issue too - what, exactly, is his concern here?  It's not too dangerous/scary/new/gene altering, whatever the fuk for his wife and daughter but it is for him?  I really don't understand how people like Joe process decisions like this.

These are radically insecure human beings.  And as far as it being good enough for his wife/daughter and not him, it has a lot to do with his concern over his masculinity and how his cohort should judge him if they were to find out he was vaccinated.  This is peer pressure/school playground shit, only the stakes are way higher.

What these "men" do not or cannot understand, is that setting an example for your family/friend group/community is the strongest thing you could do.  Leading with empathy and displaying your concern for others is masculine af, especially when you are getting pressure from poobrains to not make the right decision.  Make a stand to all the bullies around you, tell them to get fucked, and in the process create a safer environment for your kids/other kids/everyone.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Of course we lead the nation in pediatric hospital admissions.  Abbott has one-upped Florida.

Texas: we look at everything shitty about Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Florida, and say "bitch please -- watch the master at work."

47 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Having kids is when I first started working out, and I had mine later in life.  Wanting to see them to adulthood was reason number one.  Reason number two was lacking the energy to chase them around as little ones, which I realized quickly I needed.  I changed my diet as well, although that went off and on for a while until I got with it.  But yes, yearly health checks, working out, eating better, all those responsible things I had somehow ignore most of my adult life.  All changed b/c of kids.   It is one of the many ways they saved me, if I think about it.  Edit:  And adding a life saving vaccine was never a question for me, which really shouldn't have to be said.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Before my kid was born, I was about 60 lbs overweight and hadn’t been to the doctor in close to a decade. Kid born -> regular doctor visits -> lost 60 lbs.

Had my kids later as well, had a pneumonia scare, had a toddler who was fast as fuck, yeah, started getting things right physically.

The idea of skipping a vaccine for a disease that could fuck me up for life is 100% insane to me.  Even more so now that I'm seeing younger people in the hospital.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Had my kids later as well, had a pneumonia scare, had a toddler who was fast as fuck, yeah, started getting things right physically.

The idea of skipping a vaccine for a disease that could fuck me up for life is 100% insane to me.  Even more so now that I'm seeing younger people in the hospital.

Your second point is what 95% of society doesnt get

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is what infuriates me about people who bleat about their freedom.  It is like they think their freedoms are more important than anyone else's freedoms.  Morons.

Jason Isbell was on CBS News this morning talking about his requirement that anyone who attends his concerts needs to show proof of vaccination. I don’t know his music but he had a couple of good lines. Yeah, people have the freedom to not get vaccinated, they also have the freedom to stay home. He also said he has a strict policy of wearing pants at his shows. He doesn’t know about other musicians and their pants-wearing requirements, but at his shows you should wear pants.

I thought that was a pretty good metaphor because, if you think about it, anyone who gets all irate about masks and vaccinations is essentially showing their ass in public. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Can the much more seasoned law dogs give some kind of estimate as to timeline on how the rest of this will play out? I'm not putting my kids back in while there is still a potential for appellate flip flopping. Seeing as how SCOTX rammed their stay at 7 PM on a Sunday night, is it possible to get a final resolution out of this by the end of September?

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

54 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

These are radically insecure human beings.  And as far as it being good enough for his wife/daughter and not him, it has a lot to do with his concern over his masculinity and how his cohort should judge him if they were to find out he was vaccinated.  This is peer pressure/school playground shit, only the stakes are way higher.

What these "men" do not or cannot understand, is that setting an example for your family/friend group/community is the strongest thing you could do.  Leading with empathy and displaying your concern for others is masculine af, especially when you are getting pressure from poobrains to not make the right decision.  Make a stand to all the bullies around you, tell them to get fucked, and in the process create a safer environment for your kids/other kids/everyone.

I agree with this take and would like to add upon your thoughts based on some reading I was doing this weekend. "These are radically insecure human beings." It isn't just the insecurity, that has been with them/him most likely for a long time; it is the radicalization of this position towards fascism/authoritarianism. It judges the weak, the infirm, the disadvantaged and finds them wanting. So, yes, his brothers in arms (w/o shots) would find him less than manly, his gene pool unworthy, and the ability to wield power not for the likes of him if he is vaccinated. The purpose of man (that is, white man) is to wield power, to subjugate, and to master challenges that test that. That rhetoric is gaining ground and fast.

Citizens who get the vaccine in my anecdotal experience, frequently offer up expressions of relief, of thankfulness, of happiness that they might be able to avoid affecting those that they love and those that are more vulnerable. While some of the folks who aren't vaccinated express concern or doubt about getting the shot versus getting the virus, others are downright scornful, angry, and mocking. It's a 'weak-ass virus,' 'my child got it and they're fine,' (must be the genes, you know), and so on. Same goes for the attacks among the RW against Asians and other immigrants--the less deserving "undoubtedly" brought this plague upon us and thus, they should suffer for it the most. Obviously, this isn't everyone, but the most vocal seem to be the most insistent that willpower is the only way to dominate a microscopic pathogen.

Perhaps not an explicit thought in their heads, but the undercurrent is very much based on the 'feelings' and not the knowledge we are gaining every day about a novel virus.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Can the much more seasoned law dogs give some kind of estimate as to timeline on how the rest of this will play out? I'm not putting my kids back in while there is still a potential for appellate flip flopping. Seeing as how SCOTX rammed their stay at 7 PM on a Sunday night, is it possible to get a final resolution out of this by the end of September?

I'm just spitballing here but I imagine the 4th District will affirm an interlocutory appeal (or deny mandamus, whatever the appellate vehicle is), following quickly thereafter by a reversal by SCOTX, probably within the next week.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Not a lawyer, but it sounds like a lot of districts are just going to eat the fines and continue with their mask ordinances.  Abbott can't sic the DPS on them, and if he tries to force the to TEA to withhold funding from the largest districts, that'll be a good fuck around and find out moment.

I gotta say, Abbott and Paxton are owning this so damned hard, it's breathtaking. 

They are owning this in a way that you rarely see Republican politicians own a natural disaster.  Really amazing given that people still remember February, and the Republican primaries are 6-7 months away, and Delta shit has already gone off the rails.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm just spitballing here but I imagine the 4th District will affirm an interlocutory appeal (or deny mandamus, whatever the appellate vehicle is), following quickly thereafter by a reversal by SCOTX, probably within the next week.

Thanks. We made the decision to home school and held out hope that we could put him back in if the mask mandate held for a month or two, which may have been long enough to get past this Delta spike under the caveat that this spike follows the trend in other countries. Looks like we are riding out the fall, at a minimum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not a lawyer, but it sounds like a lot of districts are just going to eat the fines and continue with their mask ordinances.  Abbott can't sic the DPS on them, and if he tries to force the to TEA to withhold funding from the largest districts, that'll be a good fuck around and find out moment.

I gotta say, Abbott and Paxton are owning this so damned hard, it's breathtaking. 

They are owning this in a way that you rarely see Republican politicians own a natural disaster.  Really amazing given that people still remember February, and the Republican primaries are 6-7 months away, and Delta shit has already gone off the rails.

I'm pretty sure the whole electricity thing was the result of illegals crossing the border unabated.

He'll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Thanks. We made the decision to home school and held out hope that we could put him back in if the mask mandate held for a month or two, which may have been long enough to get past this Delta spike under the caveat that this spike follows the trend in other countries. Looks like we are riding out the fall, at a minimum.

Well I hope I'm wrong and you can get your kids into school.  I can only imagine (thankfully all of mine are through UT) how tough it is on you and your kids.

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm pretty sure the whole electricity thing was the result of illegals crossing the border unabated.

He'll be fine.

If Abbot thought he'd be fine in the primary, he wouldn't be acted as scared as he is.  

If he thought he would be fine in the primary, he would not be publicly boasting about taking on school districts over mask mandates as Texas leads the nation in pediatric hospital admissions.

And this is not a matter of me saying that because he's a UT grad and I expected better out of him, although it does really fucking sting that he's a UT grad, and that UT has world-class epidemiologists right here in Austin that he could be on the phone talking to within minutes if he wanted.

This is fear.  Abbott is not focused on the general election, because he sure as shit would be trying to out MAGA DeSantis and he sure as shit wouldn't be trying to appeal to the bleach drinkers.

This is fucking around with kids that are too young to be vaccinated.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

A friend of mine's daughter is going into her senior year and their schools begin this week. No masks. Her daughter is vaccinated, got it as soon as she could due to some recent health issues unrelated to COVID. We were chatting about their protocol, and based on the discussion we've decided that it's going to be a dark and wildly horrific circus complete with scary ass clowns. Our conclusion was based on some other idiot parents we know that we are 99% certain will not test their children and will have no reluctance at all at all about sending their untested child to school with COVID especially if it means they won't be held out of the volleyball or football game. She's worried that her daughter is going to get teased/bullied for wearing a mask and that is pretty sad.

• Rage+1 4

Is that for sure the guy, Ryan Bartles?  Graduates UVA, interns at Goldman, and then associate at Arlington Cap P/E firm?  That shop is not nothing.  And now he's a manager at CarMax?  Weird trajectory.  And apparently he left Car Max a couple months ago.  

any of y'all on social media can find him?.    

I know, I know...Incrudelity.  to fuck with his livelihood is to suppress his First Amendment right to Free Speech.  I know, I know.  He'll probably be a groomer for Matt Gaetz before the week is out, but in the meantime...I'd like to fuck with him a bit.  Just so he can find out.  If Anonymous had half a ball, they'd fuck with his finances or cell phone.  Major employers won't touch him.  Social media can lambaste him.  But there are other options where you never lay a hand on him.  But he slowly kills himself anyway.  It's super fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Yeah, I’m actually not kidding. We’re dealing with (figurative) children at this point. 

To be clear, my response was not intended to diminish or refute your ideas. On the contrary, the same reverse psychology tack has occurred to me more than once.

Obviously there would be pragmatic concerns about obtaining valid patient consent, compromising the credibility of public health leaders, etc, but I don’t care to go there now. Instead I’ll just laugh and weep at the hilarious sadness of our predicament.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Undergrad from UVA, internship at Goldman Sachs, a couple of gigs at private equity shops ... and currently works for CarMax.

No wonder he's salty.

Well it's not like he's selling cars on the showroom floor.

But I'm still embarrassed.