CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Please list all the dem politicians who called it racist? 

This^

It is a talking point. I had this quoted to me as I talked about the numerous moronic quotes from Trump from January 25th through March 6th. I answered back, you never heard me complain. I did not disagree. If we knew and locked it down from China why did we not start full blown preparations.

Now we find out he was asked to lock down Europe and did not do so because of the stock market. It was all optics, Trump after the China full of holes travel ban:

giphy.gif

If reference to:

1 hour ago, SneezyB said:

as long as were monday morning quarterbacking why chart how many more deaths would have occurred if Trump would have listened to the feckless democrats about the China travel ban being racist and xenophobic.   Oh thats right , none of this predictions have been close to right so I'll just make it up and say 60 thousand. 60 thousand peoples blood on the hands of pelosi and biden

You people are fucking ghouls

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

He knows it too. That’s before most of the countries that got hit weeks ahead of us. 

We're opening up on June 8th...and we've been in quarantine since March 16th including wearing face masks outside.

Edited by DixonHur

Jesus Christ May 1 is two weeks from now. He’s going to kill a lot of people.

Or a lot more people I guess.

A significant majority of the population and economy is under Democratic state and/or local control. Local/state orders will remain in place in many such areas. Add in consumer behavior and the "opening" of the economy from Trump on May 1 will have a pretty limited impact.

SECSECSEC may be in trouble though. They'd follow him to the end of the Earth and over the edge.

41 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

EVpmxgbU8AAbF0b?format=jpg&name=large

Wow, the US didn't even make the Top 40...I mean, fuck, the country the entire GOP is blaming is the 5th safest country from COVID-19

Would be interesting to have the US states ranked individually against these countries. 

he likes may 1st because it's a "round number" to him.  people who insist on round numbers drive me fucking nuts.  this isn't a people magazine list.

la county's current order runs through may 15th (and will likely get extended).  and when we "re-open", it'll be with conditions - half full restaurants, stores, theaters, etc.  the exact opposite of what trump described yesterday.

go ahead and open your list of 29 states, you fat fuck.  light that candle, or rocket ship, or whatever you need to do with your pent-up market.  i bet north dakota and alaska really kickstart that economy you think gives you a chance at reelection.

• Like 1

I love the Obama angle...Trump's been president for over 3 years yet it's Obama's fault for not creating a test to detect a virus strain that didn't exist until the end of 2019.

And don’t forget, “nobody could see this coming!” But Obama should have? I would love for a reporter to grill Trump on this. 

“Why should Obama have seen this coming? Is that an admission that he’s smarter than you?”

”He’s not smarter than me.”

”Then why should have seen this coming if you couldn’t?  It seems like you’re expecting more of him because he’s smarter and should have predicted this but you couldn’t because you aren’t that smart.”

Trump explodes. May drop an n bomb. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

CALL YOUR CONGRESSCRITTER

The Pod Save America boys put together a nifty little web tool that has a script for you to read from and a form to show you the # to call. The script is about passing longer-term financial help to people in need.

I appreciate the reason for this and the call to action. I agree with the policy.

That people want or need a prepared script to be repeated over and over confounds me.

Call your Congressional Representatives today and tell them that you strongly support longer term help to people in need! Click here to find the numbers to call.

That should be enough. It kind of robs a statement of real passion if it's roboticly read by person after person. It's the fastest way I can think of to get tuned out.

The quality of protest and demonstration has really declined in this country. Same chants from the 60s. No justice. No peace. (but there is peace. And tedium) Hey hey ho ho, policy X has got to go! Boring. Nobody listens. You're too lazy to come up with a unique message or even a fresher take. I'd tune you out if you were demanding an annual, generous stipend for RomaVicta.

It's another aspect of Orwell's world where language is limited except, in our case, we self-impose the restraint through laziness. We're not big thinkers here. We're not really even thinkers at all. Chris Rock's immortal bit about black people and ni__ers appeals partially because it's universal. A huge portion of America is hostile to even a hint of intellect. You want to hide your money? Put it in a book.

I have the day off after a couple of intense weeks working weeks here in the apartment with the beloved. I become prolix after a leisurely shower and with an easy day ahead. Consider that a bloviation warning. 

1vig0c.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I become prolix after a leisurely shower and with an easy day ahead. Consider that a bloviation warning. 

My entire fuckin' posting career, bro.

I see what you're saying, but the repetition of a script can be powerful with enough voices. Unity of message can matter a lot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A significant majority of the population and economy is under Democratic state and/or local control. Local/state orders will remain in place in many such areas. Add in consumer behavior and the "opening" of the economy from Trump on May 1 will have a pretty limited impact.

SECSECSEC may be in trouble though. They'd follow him to the end of the Earth and over the edge.

Yep. No doubt Staten Island will try to start gathering again when Trump says go. State fines will sit them down pretty quickly though. Might be a good opportunity to tear down the bridge and let Jersey have them instead. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Its a good resource.  But it doesn't do a ranking where the individuals states are analyzed, which I think would be insightful.  

Sorry, that was a reading comprehension issue on my end... didn't see the word 'states'. 

But on that front, I posted a like to Johns Hopkins data earlier today...think it's on the previous page...I'm on my phone now.

It has a lot of great data at the state and county level.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Jesus:

Thanks for posting that. I'm behind on this thread and doubt I have much to add. Trump must be delighted that his not-testing-but-lie-about-testing strategy is keeping the known death toll down to the victorious <200,000 death total. Yuge triumph.

Trump deserves to get this virus and remain painfully conscious to its conclusion whatever that conclusion may be.

tenor.gif

We all would pray and hope for his recovery of course.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks for posting that. I'm behind on this thread and doubt I have much to add. Trump must be delighted that his not-testing-but-lie-about-testing strategy is keeping the known death toll down to the victorious <200,000 death total. Yuge triumph.

and when the smoke cleared, 71,000 people died from the coronavirus, and it could've been much worse. 

in unrelated news, 394,000 people died from mysterious unreported factors.  talk about an invisible enemy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Stimulus checks have officially hit here and it's a shit show with so many people wondering why they didn't get it and we have no answers. We are having fun.

Imagine our surprise to find a deposit in our account as well.  Not for $2,400, either.  It was for some random amount below that.  Took us about 15 minutes to figure out the income limits are pegged to your AGI from your 2018 return and that's the year we took a $100K loss on deprecation on a house we owned and that pushed us to barely below the limit for that year.

WTF?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and when the smoke cleared, 71,000 people died from the coronavirus, and it could've been much worse. 

in unrelated news, 394,000 people died from mysterious unreported factors.  talk about an invisible enemy.

And that's going to be the tale of the tape -- total deaths in the US.

We typically have around X number of deaths per year.  Over the past 40 years or so, that translates to a death rate (deaths per 100k of population) of Y.  Those numbers are going to be pretty steady.  From those, we can come up with the number of deaths we SHOULD have seen in 2020.  And we can compare that to the number we ACTUALLY see in 2020.  That delta -- with some margin of error/variation, of course - will give us an idea of the number of COVID deaths this year.

From 2000 to present (past 20 years) the death rate has generally been in the 8.5 range.  It's been as low as 8.1, as high as 8.8.  But annual trendlines have never seen an increase of over 1.3%.  Let's see what we end up with in 2020.

• Like 1

EVpmxgbU8AAbF0b?format=jpg&name=large

Wow, the US didn't even make the Top 40...I mean, fuck, the country the entire GOP is blaming is the 5th safest country from COVID-19

Trying to get our health care in line with our test scores.   Learning is for libs.   Vietnam continues to win.  Bankrupt Greece kicks our ass.

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

lmao

giphy.gif

The president is a murderer.

Re:Putin

“He’s running his country and at least he’s a leader,” Trump said, leaving the hosts stunned.

“But again, he kills journalists that don’t agree with him,” Joe Scarborough pressed.

“I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe,” Trump replied. “There’s a lot of stuff going on in the world right now, Joe. A lot of killing going on and a lot of stupidity and that’s the way it is.”

When asked to directly condemn Putin disappearing journalists with whom he disagrees, however, Trump relented, saying, “Sure.”

Spoiler

Donald Trump deflected questions Friday morning about his kindred spirit Vladimir Putin’s alleged policy of killing journalists and political opponents. On Thursday, the Russian president praised the GOP frontrunner as “brilliant” and “talented,” prompting Trump to respond that it was an “honor” to be complimented by someone so “respected” around the world. On Friday, MSNBC’s Morning Joe hosts asked Trump if he still appreciates the praise in face of Putin’s violent policies.

“He’s running his country and at least he’s a leader,” Trump said, leaving the hosts stunned.

“But again, he kills journalists that don’t agree with him,” Joe Scarborough pressed.

“I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe,” Trump replied. “There’s a lot of stuff going on in the world right now, Joe. A lot of killing going on and a lot of stupidity and that’s the way it is.”

When asked to directly condemn Putin disappearing journalists with whom he disagrees, however, Trump relented, saying, “Sure.”

Daily Beast

"Sure."

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

giphy.gif

The president is a murderer.

Re:Putin

Daily Beast

"Sure."

"Sure I do" 

-Sol Rosenberg & Donald J. Trump

National Fucking Heroes 

2 hours ago, SneezyB said:

as long as were monday morning quarterbacking why chart how many more deaths would have occurred if Trump would have listened to the feckless democrats about the China travel ban being racist and xenophobic.   Oh thats right , none of this predictions have been close to right so I'll just make it up and say 60 thousand. 60 thousand peoples blood on the hands of pelosi and biden

You people are fucking ghouls

Negged for atrocious English, tovarisch.  By the time I got to the end of your first paragraph, "the hands of pelosi and biden" turned into "the hands of moose and squirrel."

How's the testing going in your country, Alexei?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

oh, also, 29 states are apparently just fine, and ready to reopen their economies. he doesn't name the states.

An update from corn country...

As of today, Nebraska has 901 cases, 20 deaths.   I am optimistic that Omaha and Lincoln will weather the first wave without overrunning our health care capacity, except for a pretty big asterisk.  According to this tracker, Douglas County (most of Omaha) has 251 cases for a population of 571k.  More troubling, Hall County (Grand Island), has 214 cases for a population of 61k.  That's a per capita rate of 3500 cases/million population.   That's about twice the national rate, and 8x the state average.  Italy has a per capita rate of 2732/mil. What's worse, the testing is still completely shit, and 35% of the people being tested are testing positive, compared to a state-wide 7.7%.  So the confirmed cases are obviously the just tip of iceberg, with only people with significant symptoms being tested.  The health care system in Grand Island is already maxing out their capacity, and, since I highly doubt they were exercising good social distancing practices for the last month, they are likely no where near their peak.  So that's the asterisk; they will need to send their patients to Omaha, Lincoln, and other hospitals in the region. Granted, it's still a small population of 61,000 that are likely becoming a hot-spot, but nearby Adams (Hastings, pop 30k) is starting to flare up as well.  Hastings and Grand Island are about 20 minutes apart, so I imagine they share medical capacity.  Grand Island may just be the first case study on how this virus could rip through small towns that ignore distancing warnings.

And speaking of Hastings, and ignoring distancing recommendations, the State Senator, Steve Halloran, who represents Hastings is a fucking moron.  Three days ago he cowrote an editorial on who we should just power through the outbreak, because some of his constituents are losing money on their cattle sales.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

An update from corn country...

As of today, Nebraska has 901 cases, 20 deaths.   I am optimistic that Omaha and Lincoln will weather the first wave without overrunning our health care capacity, except for a pretty big asterisk.  According to this tracker, Douglas County (most of Omaha) has 251 cases for a population of 571k.  More troubling, Hall County (Grand Island), has 214 cases for a population of 61k.  That's a per capita rate of 3500 cases/million population.   That's about twice the national rate, and 8x the state average.  Italy has a per capita rate of 2732/mil. What's worse, the testing is still completely shit, and 35% of the people being tested are testing positive, compared to a state-wide 7.7%.  So the confirmed cases are obviously the just tip of iceberg, with only people with significant symptoms being tested.  The health care system in Grand Island is already maxing out their capacity, and, since I highly doubt they were exercising good social distancing practices for the last month, they are likely no where near their peak.  So that's the asterisk; they will need to send their patients to Omaha, Lincoln, and other hospitals in the region. Granted, it's still a small population of 61,000 that are likely becoming a hot-spot, but nearby Adams (Hastings, pop 30k) is starting to flare up as well.  Hastings and Grand Island are about 20 minutes apart, so I imagine they share medical capacity.  Grand Island may just be the first case study on how this virus could rip through small towns that ignore distancing warnings.

And speaking of Hastings, and ignoring distancing recommendations, the State Senator, Steve Halloran, who represents Hastings is a fucking moron.  Three days ago he cowrote an editorial on who we should just power through the outbreak, because some of his constituents are losing money on their cattle sales.  

It's mostly the packing plant blowing that up, and a large packing plant related birthday party that spread it from JBSwift in GI, Lovett's in Hastings, and now Tyson in Lexington. Cold conditions and shoulder to shoulder in the plant is the accelarant. 

• Like 1

If you want to know what we're up against, this story is circulating out there:

In a stunning turn of events, Surgeon General Jerome Adams explained in an interview on live XM radio, that the Coronavirus Task Force has, effectively, dumped the Bill Gates/CDC/WHO predictive contagion model, and is now working with the real data.

He explained on the Sirius XM’s Breitbart News Daily host Alex Marlow, that given the new data, businesses will begin to re-open as early as May, others in June.

This runs contrary to the out-and-out fear-mongering of Dr. Fauci and Bill Gates who have made a media tour, threatening the public that businesses may not re-open for six months to a year, or until and unless governments purchase their conveniently patented, big-pharma vaccination.

See, vaccines are all a plot of the New World Order and Big Pharma and "they," who want to control you and such.

Note the source: https://www.fort-russ.com/abou/

Fort Russ News is a media wing and project of the Belgrade based NGO, the Center for Syncretic Studies, and as serves as the central organ of New Resistance – Evropa, and New Resistance – North America*.

This is the politically-driven, insane narrative that the rational world has to work against.  And as long as there are as many stupid people as there are, and they are dedicated and committed to their stupidity (oh, they're committed), we're fucked.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Imagine our surprise to find a deposit in our account as well.  Not for $2,400, either.  It was for some random amount below that.  Took us about 15 minutes to figure out the income limits are pegged to your AGI from your 2018 return and that's the year we took a $100K loss on deprecation on a house we owned and that pushed us to barely below the limit for that year.

WTF?

I had the same surprise overnight, and it didn't occur to me until seeing your post what happened.  2018 was when Congress passed the "tax cut," which wasn't a tax cut for me because it eliminated my deduction for my Longhorn Foundation contribution and capped my SALT deduction.  So before year-end, we bought two cars and prepaid the Longhorn Foundation for five years.

So my 2018 AGI was for shit.  And as a result, I bizarrely got money in my account overnight.  Good thing I procrastinated in filing my 2019 return.

Sooooo, . . . to what Democratic candidates am I contributing my unexpected windfall?

• Like 1