CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Hey look, these by god American made cluster munitions don’t point themselves at school busses. 

Our economy has been built around preparing for conventional warfare since WW2.  We’ve been irresponsible and negligent with who we’ve allowed to drive this car, that’s on us.  We’ve been so myopic that warfare itself has evolved beyond the near trillion of dollars we spend annually on defense spending and we’re not interested enough in catching up or adapting to the new national security threats.  

We are Rome and Rome is burning. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'll be the first to admit, I am awful at spotting photoshop on the internet.  Is that real?  Does her sign really say that?  Who the hell was she directing at that?  I mean, who is she gesturing towards/who is that guy to her left looking at?  I'm willing to entertain this is staged only because I don't want to believe this type of hatred is already brewing 6 months out of the election.

Here's a fun exercise.  Talking with my neighbors, what are we gonna do to replace the handshake in Western Society?  The two kiss Euro thing, the Latin American hug, the bro half-hug/handshake, etc.  None of those are gonna be back in style in a few months.  They're all gone for at least 50 years, maybe forever.  The elbow bump thing while topical, is just too silly for everyday use.  We may as well just nod.  I don't see us taking on the bow, although it could work well.  Here's my very simple and elegant question...I bet dollars to donuts that at least 50% of Trump supporters would be in favor of bringing back the Bellamy Salute as the new social/business physical interaction, if you reminded them that it did in fact have its roots in the U.S. in the 1920's and 1930's (which is true, BTW).  Half of them would go for it if they knew it was American by background.  That's where we are.

Head nod should be the deal.

Just now, David Dennison said:

So is a government that sanctions chattel slavery and exclusive suffrage for white, male property owners, but why quibble about the details?

Not sure what that has to do with the impetus behind the American revolution, but if you're saying America has never lived up to the ideals set forth in the Constitution, then I agree.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not sure what that has to do with the impetus behind the American revolution, but if you're saying America has never lived up to the ideals set forth in the Constitution, then I agree.

I'm saying the impetus behind the American revolution is a little more complicated than a bumper sticker slogan that we learn in elementary school.

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm saying the impetus behind the American revolution is a little more complicated than a bumper sticker slogan that we learn in elementary school.

I believe American patriot Benjamin Martin said it best when he said “Aim small, miss small.”

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Good luck with that. Imagine the rest of America trying to force Texans to put beans in their chili then multiply that difficulty by a million. 

China is who they are. They're an authoritarian regime and they will always use propaganda to control public perception. We have intelligence agencies for a reason and our intelligence agencies were reporting to Trump in January about the coming crisis but he ignored them. It would be great if China was a free and open society but they're not and we're not going to change that. The bigger problem is that we have an authoritarian president who is bent on using propaganda to control public perception just like the Chinese. We need to get back to being a free and open society and return to a position of leadership in the world. 

Tariffs? Seriously? How's that been working out for us so far? Would that come with hundreds of billions more in bailouts for American farmers and other businesses who pay the price for those tariffs? Let's be realistic. 

You'll have to explain to me what your analogy has to do with my argument. Sorry, not trying to be an ass. 

To your next point, we're going to continue to allow these viruses just because the Chinese government is what it is? Fuck that. And it's even more so not their fault because dotard is in the driver's seat? Double fuck that. Their country has become more modernized than they or we acknowledge. We can demand that they put regulations in place to help at least pretend to stop this from happening again and again without infringing their culture or affecting our health. 

Lastly, I don't pretend to know everything about the tariffs in place so you'll have to forgive my ignorance here. Regardless of what is done, it has to be an international effort. China can't be allowed to participate in a global economy it can so easily bring down. I don't think I'm talking that crazy here...

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Look, maybe Ford should have already installed automatic emergency braking on every car it makes too.  But when you run over a kid because you're texting and driving, that kid's father is going to rightfully come kill you first before he worries about getting Ford to put in better safety measures. 

Democrats are making mistakes, sure, but the GOP is overplaying its hand severely.  If Trump wins the election, this country is over with.  We aren't gonna be in a war with China.  We are gonna be in a a civil war.  

Your analogy is lost upon me as to how it relates but allow me to try one out. Should the Russians or the head nuclear physicist be responsible for what happened in Chernobyl? Sure, ol boy fucked himself into a corner early and often and then doubled down on every mistake he made (like a certain someone else.) But it was the Russian government that created the toxic environment in the first place and then did its best to cover it up. 

We can agree that trump is a POS and has put us in a much worse position than we should be in. Hopefully his actions have consequences come November. 

Why can't we also agree the Chinese government has a big role in this and should be held accountable? 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:
8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That is unbelievable. Utterly abhorrent.  "J.B."  is J.B. Pritzker, the JEWISH governor of Illinois.  

I didn't know he was Jewish. Wow.

It gets better... From the Wikipedia:

As chairman of the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, which opened in 2009, Pritzker successfully led the capital campaign and planning to build an international institution in the Midwest dedicated to teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides.

In 2013, Pritzker received the Survivors' Legacy Award for his leadership in the creation of the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center.

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nope, the ignorant rubes don't know German or any other foreign language at all.  They use the misspelled English signs that we see all the time.  This lady knows exactly what the phrase means and knows where it came from.  She's a fucking Nazi.

I continue to be against these rallies because they put others in danger, but part of me wishes someone who knows they have coronavirus would intentionally seed one of them.  That would at least stop the rest of them for a while.

Yeah. I'm with you on this one.

Guest Lobo
9 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

As chairman of the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, which opened in 2009, Pritzker successfully led the capital campaign and planning to build an international institution in the Midwest dedicated to teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides.

In 2013, Pritzker received the Survivors' Legacy Award for his leadership in the creation of the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center.

Their family underwrote a tour of college campuses about 15 years ago whereby Elie Wiesel came around to talk about anti-semitism, the Holocaust, his book 'Night', and various Jewish topics.  My quarter-Jew card got me into the event at Bass Concert Hall.  An anecdote he told that has been parts of movies, books, and oral accounts of the Holocaust for nearly 80 years.  But he of course told it with incredible gravitas. 

He retells the account of the camp guards opening fire on the prisoners one day, and a relative of his happens upon a woman who has collapsed to her knees.  The man shouts for her to take cover but she remains on her knees and begins to pray in a thankful tone to Yahweh.  He is absolutely stunned and is instinctively wanting to run for cover but he shouts, "What could you possible be thanking God for in a time like this?"  She calmly replies, "I am thanking him for not making me like he made them (pointing to the camp guards who are shooting randomly)."  The man ran to cover, and she was shot to death moments later.  

We are not there yet in 2020 America, but I am thankful that God did not make me like he made them.  

16 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

(((Pritzker))) rings out only slightly less than (((Rothschild))) when it comes to anti-Semitic dogwhistles. 

The above is a bit more obscure than the translation of “Arbeit Macht frei”, but I’m surprised that many on this board needed background color.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah...but I’m not seeing anything about her work makes you free sign...it’s a bad link?

The nurse who posted it claims he took the photo himself on his phone, and there's no photo in the AP "fact check" link.  Seems odd.  Will be curious to see how this plays out.

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

I don’t see it happening as much as I want it to and as much as I’m praying.  I don’t know how anyone can be confident he will lose when Republicans/Conservatives and Trump will use every dirty trick to stay in power including asking for Russia’s help and suppressing the vote of Blacks and Latinos. 

Don't leave out the absurd assumption that the actual voting won't be corrupted by the GOP out of fear of jail. If they lose the White House and the Senate, they're fucked no matter how many judges they've hand picked to protect them.

I see with the allegations against Biden that the TV news idiots are making the comparison with Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh lied about many things; he amassed a mysterious fortune; he was opposed by any meaningful organization of attorneys; he made a raving fool of himself during the hearings and insulted the Senate. If there were no Trump to contrast him with, he would have been removed in a straitjacket.

But no. The story is about the campaign which the talking heads love to beat to death. Therefore, let's focus on Dem hypocrisy if they back their only choice for candidacy in lieu of completely overthrowing their methods of choosing.

Maybe, just maybe, the story could be the method of choosing and the hazards of a late revelation. Maybe the story could be about how much weight to actually give the revelation. Maybe compare him to his opponent which is actually relevant. Maybe be a news organization instead of a sounding board for reporters and former reporters to repeat the same obvious opinions for hour after hour.

Maybe compare Biden's offense at the accusation thus recognizing how wrong it is with Trump's delight in sharing stories about pussy grabbing. 

I'll be damned if I'm not writing about Covid on the Covid thread again. 

MajesticAdorableCaracal-size_restricted.

• Like 1

A sign from a Pittsburgh rally was altered and photoshopped. 

the sign from the woman at the Illinois rally (with the JB in it) was not altered and is real.  

that is the way I am reading the article

Edited by yoladu

36 minutes ago, yoladu said:

the sign from the woman at the Illinois rally (with the JB in it) was not altered and is real.  

Correctemondo. 

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

How many people do you know personally that died? Seriously? 

I know you're being sarcastic, but in all honesty I actually know one fatality who died from it in Lubbock the week before last -- a guy I've known since the 2nd grade. He was my age (48-49) and did have some underlying health conditions, but this shit is still deadly. He had a golden soul and was a healthcare worker. He went into the hospital having difficulty breathing with his kidneys shutting down. Two days later he was dead.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

No it doesn't. It confirms it's real. Go reread the article. That article is about a photoshop of a sign carried by a protester in Pittsburgh. This woman was at a protest in Illinois which that article reports was carrying a sign that said "Arbeit macht frei, J.B."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but in all honesty I actually know one fatality who died from it in Lubbock the week before last -- a guy I've known since the 2nd grade. He was my age (48-49) and did have some underlying health conditions, but this shit is still deadly. He had a golden soul and was a healthcare worker. He went into the hospital having difficulty breathing with his kidneys shutting down. Two days later he was dead.

I was being sarcastic and I know this is real.

I am sorry for your loss.

I really am. Please don't take my critique on others as a slight on your real pain. I am sorry if it comes across as this.

My point in all of this is that there is segment of this population who are so self absorbed, so incapable of empathy that they can't see a # like 62,000 and be horrified.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I think wet markets need to be banned.

This is all you had to say and I would mostly agreed with you. I still think they can exist but with hefty regulations in place (something I'm not sure the government nor the people want to do. Thus, for banning them.) Even the stupid exotic shit that most of the populous doesn't consume. Other wet markets exist around the world but haven't (yet) caused anything like this. Why is China exempt and why should they get to continue to participate in a global economy that necessitates the same type of governance everyone else abides by?

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

The issue isn't that China is blameless when it comes to the initial spread of this virus from bats to humans. Its that some Americans seem to want to bear no responsibility at all for their own actions.  China's response to the virus has been infinitely better than ours. 

I must've dipped into my premium stash just now by accident. You don't think that's the primary issue? What started this whole shebang? What action did I specifically partake in that I'm not claiming responsibility for?

And I'm sure China's response was better than ours for the same reasons you and everyone else has outlined. There's no denying it. Maybe we're having a chicken- or- the- egg kinda debate but from my eyes, that shouldn't be the case. Both can and are true and this is what I was referring to by letting Republicans own the China narrative. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

This isn't the first virus in history. It won't be the last. Even if wet markets dissapear completely, there will always be another virus. We need to fix our response plan.  Our economy shut down because of us, not China.  It has been prolonged because of us, not China.  The fact is that the "world's greatest country" doesn't give a shit about its own citizens, so we also have the shittiest stopgap plan in the industrialized world.  The fact that a virus has polarized our populace even more than it was already is also on us, not China. We are a failed state because of us, not China.  We were on the brink and dysfunctional well before the virus. All it did is expose our dysfunction. So while you are eager to shift blame elsewhere and pretend we are okay, it just isn't going to happen. You are going to have to take a cold hard look at our own flaws if you want the country to keep moving forward. It isn't ever going back to what it was. 

No debate from me except how mischaracterize you've made me out to be. I don't want to shift any blame, just want the whole problem to be examined*. It's troublesome to me that the majority of people who are saying the same things I am are red asses and white nationalist. Fuck trump and the Chinese government. Both need to face the music for this. 

*And again, the issue with China isn't something to be dealt with right now. Our response and everything else you're harping on is the top priorities. We should, however, also keep in the back of our minds how this virus (and others this millennium) originated and take actions to prevent another one from happening. 

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Nope. From the article you posted:

In a separate incident in Illinois, some protesters were, in fact, holding up signs with Nazi slogans. 

At a “Reopen Illinois” protest on Friday in Illinois, Nazi slogans were present. At least two signs bearing Nazi slogans were displayed. One sign that was widely shared stated “Arbeit macht frei, J.B.” Another said “Heil, Pritzker” and featured a swastika.

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

*And again, the issue with China isn't something to be dealt with right now. Our response and everything else you're harping on is the top priorities. We should, however, also keep in the back of our minds how this virus (and others this millennium) originated and take actions to prevent another one from happening. 

I was under the impression that the IT guys left a manual to aid in this endeavor but the current IT guys in the WH stuck it on a shelf or threw it away because RTFM is not how they roll. They (this administrative team) prefer the fluid synthetic approach of creatively examining the issue to draw whatever resources can be plumbed and extrapolated to best personal advantages.

In other words, they threw out the prior cooperative pandemic plan and said how can we profit since we screwed the pooch? Perhaps the old plan can be rescued and improved upon in the future......but we seem to have difficulty learning from our mistakes.

28 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Nope. From the article you posted:

42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No it doesn't. It confirms it's real. Go reread the article. That article is about a photoshop of a sign carried by a protester in Pittsburgh. This woman was at a protest in Illinois which that article reports was carrying a sign that said "Arbeit macht frei, J.B."

Article must have been updated because that language was not in the link posted. It specifically pointed out that sign and its trending on twitter. Is there another sign using that phrase that's also being spread around? If so please post it.

Similar to how Alabama makes the rest of the United States look? 

Don’t throw stones from Texas.

At least my governor is only 95% idiot and we have Doug Jones and y’all have Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

And our State Board of Education hasn’t been taken over by creationists.

Check mate, bubba.
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

At least my governor is only 95% idiot and we have Doug Jones and y’all have Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

Check mate, bubba.

Let's all throw stones at Oklahoma, where the mayor of Stillwater had to rescind the order requiring masks in public because people were going into stores with guns and threatening employees who asked them to wear a mask per local law.

Officials in Stillwater, Okla., on Friday walked back a requirement that people wear face masks inside reopened stores and restaurants, citing threats of violence and physical abuse directed at employees.

Mayor Will Joyce, an independent, amended his emergency declaration on the same day it took effect “in response to concerns voiced by business proprietors and citizens,” according to a news release. The anger directed toward store employees started in the first three hours businesses were open and included a threat of gun violence.

State and local governments have included a requirement that people wear masks in at least some circumstances as part of their reopening plans.

In Stillwater, many people objecting to the mask requirement cited their belief that the rule is unconstitutional, City Manager Norman McNickle said in the news release and first reported by the Stillwater News Press. McNickle noted that a federal court in Oklahoma City dismissed a lawsuit challenging the city of Guthrie’s mask requirement. The judge ruled the plaintiffs lacked standing to sue but did not rule on the constitutionality of the mask requirement, court records show.

McNickle said wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience that protects the person wearing it and anyone they encounter. “The City of Stillwater has attempted to keep people safe by the simple requirement to wear a face covering to protect others,” McNickle wrote. “It is unfortunate and distressing that those who refuse and threaten violence are so self-absorbed as to not follow what is a simple show of respect and kindness to others.”

McNickle said officials could not, in good conscience, put store and restaurant employees in danger. Stillwater’s stores are asked to at least encourage customers to wear masks, and specific businesses can choose to have more restrictive requirements.

• Like 1

When people start marching on state capitals while armed the question isn't what is wrong with these people.  The question is what is wrong with these state governments.  No one ever marches on a state capital carrying a weapon if they feel like the government is actually carrying out the will of the people.  This only happens when the people feel that the government is not carrying out their will.

I can’t wait for you to have this same opinion when Black Lives Matter start protesting while armed to the teeth.

Or abortion rights groups.

Or Muslims.

As long as they feel the government isn’t carrying out their will, you’ll be cool with that, right?
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I think wet markets need to be banned. They are Ford in my analogy.  Trump is the distracted driver.

And in my analogy, getting China to close their wet markets is like getting Texans to put beans in their chili, only a million times harder. Imagine trying to get Texans to agree that proper chili includes beans. The response you'd get would be, "Who the fuck are you to tell us how to make chili?" 

How old is Texas culture? Chinese culture is older than God. Who the fuck are we to think we can get them to change? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Check mate, bubba.

Alabamans can throw stones at Mississippi. That's it. 

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

Reality seemed horrific, but now it seems that it was a fake reality. What makes a person fake such a horrific reality? So many mindfucks in this simulation.

The destruction of truth and trust continues. Putin grins.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

34 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Article must have been updated because that language was not in the link posted. It specifically pointed out that sign and its trending on twitter. Is there another sign using that phrase that's also being spread around? If so please post it.

The tweet you replied to specifically said that woman was a protester in Illinois. The headline of the AP article you linked reads, "Pittsburgh protester not waiving sign with Nazi slogan." Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, not Illinois. Are you suggesting the headline was changed?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Texas, along with 40 or so other states can toss stones all we want. Past, present, future, there is no comparison, in any regard.  Potentially Mississippi shouldn’t, but I would argue they are more valuable as well. 

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Lulz.   

Be happy national championships can still be purchased with 15-20 Dodge Chargers and Challengers each year. Without that, much of the county would forget your state exists. Until they run into one of the dozens of documentaries about your lovely state up and thru the 50’s, 60’s, hell present.  

35 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Check mate, bubba.

Lol.  Yeah you really proved your point.  Checkers might suit you better. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And in my analogy, getting China to close their wet markets is like getting Texans to put beans in their chili, only a million times harder. Imagine trying to get Texans to agree that proper chili includes beans. The response you'd get would be, "Who the fuck are you to tell us how to make chili?" 

How old is Texas culture? Chinese culture is older than God. Who the fuck are we to think we can get them to change? 

So why can't the Chinese government step in and go "hey guys, I know some of us are into eating bats and other animals the rest of the world finds weird  and grotesque. Fuck them if they can't tolerate our culture. But... We also have to recognize how we're handling these animals is affecting everyone else's view of our country, as well as all of our lives. So, I Winnie Poo Ping hereby announce a ban on all wet markets and live animal for consumption sales effective immediately. We will then get with (whatever China's ag and transportation department is) to figure out current distribution and future sales with the assistance from (whatever China's HHS is) to supervise in the creation of systems and protocols. These changes will be difficult at first but I assure you we will be better off as a country and world." 

I'm not asking for a transformation to Judeo Christian values or anything, and nothing that doesn't benefit the Chinese people, as well as ourselves.