CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Ehh, I'm not buying it. Before covid and Trump, your typical antivaxxer were the granola cruncher hippy liberals. I would bet money those same folks still have those same views. Instead of horse dewormer, it's probably some mix of essential oils and patchouli.

8 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Ehh, I'm not buying it. Before covid and Trump, your typical antivaxxer were the granola cruncher hippy liberals. I would bet money those same folks still have those same views. Instead of horse dewormer, it's probably some mix of essential oils and patchouli.

That may have been true in the 90s and 00s, but right-wing anti-vaxxers were the predominant opposition to Perry's HPV vaccine early in the past decade. Not sure if you were around in the Shaggy days, but the most vocal critic of vaccinations on TOS was Numbers and he was definitely a conservative. I distinctly recall seeing a county map of Texas that was posted in a Shaggy thread on vaccinations where parents had opted a high percentage of children out of various vaccines, and it included several very conservative rural counties.

By the time Trump was elected, the far right and the granolas had merged into a single anti-vax movement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

They do. Not sure how many times this has to be revisited but the antivax crowd is a diverse group. The term 'antivax' is also a bit of a misnormer. Is someone who never got the flu vaccine an antivaxxer? Is someone who received the MMR, Polio, etc, vaccine but hasn't received the covid vaccine an anti-vaxxer? Are the 70% of under 40 African-Americans who have not received the vaccine anti-vaxxers? People want to seperate everything into a political binary as if everyone who didn't get the vaccine is a white uneducated Trump voter but that is not the case. Redneck Trump voters, African Americans, hippies, far-left, far-right, old, young, religious, atheist, white, black, hispanic, it is a diverse group.

Edited by lmao
  • Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

They do. Not sure how many times this has to be revisited but the antivax crowd is a diverse group. The term 'antivax' is also a bit of a misnormer. Is someone who never got the flu vaccine an antivaxxer? Is someone who received the MMR, Polio, etc, vaccine but hasn't received the covid vaccine an anti-vaxxer? Are the 70% of under 40 African-Americans who have not received the vaccine anti-vaxxers? People want to seperate everything into a political binary as if everyone who didn't get the vaccine is a white uneducated Trump voter but that is not the case. 

It's the vast, heaping, overwhelming majority, no matter how much you wish it weren't the case.

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That may have been true in the 90s and 00s, but right-wing anti-vaxxers were the predominant opposition to Perry's HPV vaccine early in the past decade. Not sure if you were around in the Shaggy days, but the most vocal critic of vaccinations on TOS was Numbers and he was definitely a conservative. I distinctly recall seeing a county map of Texas that was posted in a Shaggy thread on vaccinations where parents had opted a high percentage of children out of various vaccines, and it included several very conservative rural counties.

By the time Trump was elected, the far right and the granolas had merged into a single anti-vax movement.

Ya know, now that you mention it, I do remember the uproar over HPV. I didn't really venture into the CR on the shag or pay much attention to politics in general until I hit my 30's which coincided with Obama getting elected for his 2nd term. 

Seriously, how many fucking charts and correlation plots have to be brought out that unequivocally show that the largest determining factor in whether someone has the vaccine is how they voted in the 2020 election? It's all there, as clear as day.

Yes, we're using the term "anti-vaxxer" a little liberally. The hippies and true anti-vaxxers are at least consistent in their beliefs. I can actually respect that. Should we switch to "morons who are willing to kill themselves and others for political points" to be more accurate? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, no? If reports are to be believed, the crowd was 90% vaccinated. Sturgis, not so much 

What are you trying to do here? This is some pretty low effort trolling.

The checks for being vaccinated were a joke. You're the one trolling believing 90% werr vaccinated. 

• Fuck You 20

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, no? If reports are to be believed, the crowd was 90% vaccinated. Sturgis, not so much 

What are you trying to do here? This is some pretty low effort trolling.

Fozz is trolling again 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

a bunch of vaxxed people congregate unmasked in a field

a bunch of unvaxxed people congregate unmasked in a field

aRe ThE VaXxEd SuPeRsPrEaAdInG? says totally not just asking questions poster

Can vaccinated people spread the virus? Can someone with antibodies from prior infection spread the virus? Can someone vaccinated & that also has antibodies from prior infection (me) spread the virus? 

• Fuck You 16

1 minute ago, lmao said:

The checks for being vaccinated were a joke. You're the one trolling believing 90% werr vaccinated. 

Fine, say it's 70%. What would you put the rate at for the Sturgis crowd? Since anti-vaxxers come from "all walks of life" surely they're in the same range, correct?

If Trump was strong on covid protections and took decisive early action backed by science in an effort to control the pandemic, he’d still be president, and less people would have been hospitalized and died. 

The reality was that he and Kushner viewed it as a “blue state problem”. Oops. Ask Alabama how many ICU beds it has now. 

Nate Silver has his head up his own ass - like so many other political media types. 

giphy.gif
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, lmao said:

Fozzz, what the fuck is your point?  The story you posted concludes that it wasn't a super spreader.

At two weeks since the start of the music festival, the city is well within the timeline to see COVID symptoms develop and cases be able to be identified that can be linked to the event. Arwady said an estimated 385,000 people were there throughout the four day festival.

So far, only 203 attendees have tested positive for COVID-19, or about 0.05% of people who attended.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

OKC TV station sent a reporter to a local feed store.  Video at link, but can't imbed here:

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-store-says-people-still-buying-cattle-medication-to-treat-covid-19-despite-fdas-warning/37378532

Seriously, y'all. Stop it." That's a direct quote from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about a drug for animals that some people are wrongly using to try to treat COVID-19.

That message, however, hasn't stopped a flood of calls and purchases of ivermectin at Oklahoma stores.

KOCO 5 decided to stop by Red Earth Feed and Tack after the FDA issued its warning. Store manager Alex Gieger said they've been flooded with requests for Ivermax, which specifically says is for cattle and swine.

Gieger said the phone calls started four months ago, clamoring for ivermectin. At first, they just assumed there was some nasty parasite going around in horses or cattle.

Then, somebody told them that people are taking it to treat COVID-19.

"So, I was like, 'So, you're using the needles to inject yourself with the 1% sterile solution of ivermectin?' And he was like, 'Yeah. It gets it done.' And I was like, 'OK. Well, this is an anti-parasitical, not an anti-viral,'" Gieger said.

The FDA said different types of ivermectin products are sometimes used in people, but not for viruses like COVID-19 and only at very specific doses. On top of that, they said the ivermectin sold in stores like Red Earth Feed and Tack is for animals, and the dosage is often highly concentrated and toxic for people.

Spoiler

"Even right here, it says, 'Recommended dose for cattle,'" KOCO 5's Dillon Richards said, pointing to the language on Ivermax's box.

"For cattle," Gieger said.

"And swine," Richards added.

"And swine. But nowhere does it say, 'people,'" Gieger said.

Gieger told KOCO 5 they try to explain to people the facts, but those people have seen otherwise online or somewhere else and can't be talked out of it.

Poison control centers said they've seen an uptick in calls. The FDA tweeted over the weekend, "You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y'all. Stop it." 

Gieger has a message for people buying ivermectin to treat COVID-19: "I highly suggest people stop injecting themselves with Ivermax and start injecting themselves with the vaccine because that's free and that (Ivermax) is $300."

Somebody mentioned the weird Florida death numbers over the weekend, but they are continuing to be reported in the single digits daily, despite averaging over 15k cases a day. Something is up there, or they're just going to drop 800 deaths once a week and hope everyone pays attention to the other 6 days.

What's the plan for the season at DKR?

I'm not sure they've announced anything. Weren't students required to get 1 test at the beginning of the semester?
UT and any organization in Texas has to balance the safety of their people and pissing off the state GOP leadership. Say that the major colleges in Texas all required vaccinations and/or a recent test. It's possible Abbott could punish them by not allowing more than 20K in a college stadium.
UT also has a problem with high level donors imposing their will on the athletic dept. "I have to get a test? I will keep my $1m check this year."

Embarrassing if UT doesn’t implement the same policy at DKR if it hasn’t already. It would be even better if the state sued us to try to stop it. Defending such a mandate in court can be the kill shot needed to end Abbott and Paxton.

I would be shocked if CDC and Hartzel didn’t have autonomy to make such a call. There would be political blow back for sure but they have the right to pull the trigger on that.

Abbott’s executive order blocks state agencies and organizations receiving public funds, which includes UT, from requiring vaccines in exchange for any service, which I assume would be interpreted to include a football game. UT would absolutely be wading into a legal fight with the Governor, which costs money, and while I’d personally double my LHF donation to support, everyone knows they’re not going to incur an unnecessary expense.
  • Rage+1 2

54 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Somebody mentioned the weird Florida death numbers over the weekend, but they are continuing to be reported in the single digits daily, despite averaging over 15k cases a day. Something is up there, or they're just going to drop 800 deaths once a week and hope everyone pays attention to the other 6 days.

Florida plays politics with their covid numbers. They only report county new case numbers on friday/Saturday. They have decided to only report death #s at the state level.

we can’t have red counties knowing how many of them are dying.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The reality was that he and Kushner viewed it as a “blue state problem”. Oops. Ask Alabama how many ICU beds it has now.

This bears repeating. The members of Congress on the pertinent committees plus the Administration received intel briefings within a month of the events occurring overseas. While I don't believe Trump is a details guy, he took the one nugget that he thought would benefit himself and ran with it. Undoubtedly there were people in the loop who could see this advantage and also pressed specific talking points. Trump had begun attacking mail in ballots at least two years previously (2018?), so this furthered the 'rigged election' talking point while simultaneously turning away from any death or illness of American citizens who just happened to live in large diverse urban areas where infectious diseases can spread quickly due to density and public transportation. Oh, and happened to overwhelmingly vote for Democratic candidates. Those people deserve to get sick. Those people live in dirty crowded cities and aren't true Patriots. Those people are why we shut everything down. And so on. It worked, too, for awhile. And all the posturing about how unclean, weak people are who succumbs to the virus and who wear masks because they're sheep and don't have good genes played well across the parts of America that want to believe that, who support that ideology, and who don't stop to consider how viruses work.

So why did they brag about the vaccine development? Money and playing the odds. Because urban or rural, they really don't care whether you live or die.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Hell of a money printing racket. $90. Few minutes of telemedicine, call in an rx that the pharmacist probably won't/can't fill. 

E9fUmxFXoAIn8GH?format=jpg&name=large

WTH is "Functional Medicine"? May I get a license to practice Dysfuntional Medicine?

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Wondered what happened to @triplehorn.

I don't know. I hope he's okay. Was he opposed to the vaccine? I hope he and his family got the vaccine.

I know there are GP's in southeast Texas that are prescribing ivermectin and HQC for patients. I'm facebook friends with people I went to high school with and seems delta is tearing its way through that area as I know several currently sick. One in particular said she went to her GP when she tested positive and asked for ivermectin/HQC along with a z-pack. That was on day 2 of infection and of course all the idiots in the comments were cheering her on for not getting vaccinated and telling anecdotes of "I heard from so and so they took ivermectin and HQC and were completely better 2 days later". Fast forward 10 days later and she's still running fever along with all the other symptoms of feeling run down/brain fog/cough/shortness of breath. She's late 30's and super fit so not some typical SETX fatty with a list of comorbidities. Frankly, I only keep her on facebook because she's hot and posts lots of yoga pant thirst trap "workout" pics. 

20 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I know there are GP's in southeast Texas that are prescribing ivermectin and HQC for patients. I'm facebook friends with people I went to high school with and seems delta is tearing its way through that area as I know several currently sick. One in particular said she went to her GP when she tested positive and asked for ivermectin/HQC along with a z-pack. That was on day 2 of infection and of course all the idiots in the comments were cheering her on for not getting vaccinated and telling anecdotes of "I heard from so and so they took ivermectin and HQC and were completely better 2 days later". Fast forward 10 days later and she's still running fever along with all the other symptoms of feeling run down/brain fog/cough/shortness of breath. She's late 30's and super fit so not some typical SETX fatty with a list of comorbidities. Frankly, I only keep her on facebook because she's hot and posts lots of yoga pant thirst trap "workout" pics. 

Pics aren't showing up, dummy.

• Hook 'Em 8

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

Rex from TA is still with us:

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 2.01.22 PM.png

La Fours reached out

BeK_WNeCYAAVxqP.jpg

The aggy covid forum has 3 interesting threads amidst the utter lunacy.

Obviously, our boy Rex who's in bad shape and unvaxxed.

Another thread where a teacher who is vaxxed has tested positive from kids in school but says he just feels like he has allergies.  Wouldn't have guessed covid but he lost his sense of smell.  Otherwise fine.

3rd a moron asking if he should get vaxxed now that it's FDA approved.  Feels rushed.  Not enough info on it yet.

Never change aggy.

Holy shit ... this is just so revealing.   I hope I can post it in a way that makes sense. The 56 year old coach of Allen High School Football, James Shillam,  died of Covid on Sunday. He was not vaccinated. His family says it was a personal choice. You can read and watch a video about that here:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/new-allen-high-school-football-coach-dies-after-weeks-long-covid-fight/287-d4371a45-963b-4db1-a00e-dc656d55ef34

I went to see his FB page and found his wife's.  It's a WILD ride. It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/kyp.shillam

I'm fairly sure that she's going to either delete or hide her page so here are some screen shots.  She talks about things like demonic possession, the rapture, asks if anybody knows where to get hydroxochloroquine etc...  And apparently her son Spenser has the disease, too.  And you read the responses from her friends about how Satan does this and Satan does that and how "the enemy"  is among us.  It's mass psychosis.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not happy this man died. According to those who were around him, he was a good man and Allen was "his dream job."  What I don't get is why these nuts don't believe that the same God who is capable of all the wonderful things they believe he is capable of is also not capable of giving us the brains to understand a virus and produce a vaccine to take it on.  There's a huge disconnect in the way they approach this and I don't think we're ever going to get past it. 

Kyp Shillam 6.jpg

Kyp Shillam 5.jpg

Kyp Shillam 4.jpg

Kyp Shillam 3.jpg

Kyp Shillam 2.jpg

Kyp Shillam 1.jpg

Kyp Shillam 7.jpg

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Rage+1 2