CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

And shit like this is the reason I've postponed my trip.  Too much fucking risk that shit will go sideways.  Will go in May when hopefully this shit is all mich better.
Just curious what makes you think it will be much better in May? It seems to me we're in some kind of perpetual cycle where a new variant wave rolls out every few months.

9 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
And shit like this is the reason I've postponed my trip.  Too much fucking risk that shit will go sideways.  Will go in May when hopefully this shit is all mich better.

Just curious what makes you think it will be much better in May? It seems to me we're in some kind of perpetual cycle where a new variant wave rolls out every few months.

Warmer weather, better booster programs, and most likely Omicron actually conferring super immunity on a lot of folks because it appears it can more easily cause a breakthrough infection and it appears to be significantly less severe.  At least initially it does.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Warmer weather, better booster programs, and most likely Omicron actually conferring super immunity on a lot of folks because it appears it can more easily cause a breakthrough infection and it appears to be significantly less severe.  At least initially it does.  
Cheers to that. I'm ready for this shit to be over. Read something earlier saying it 'may' be endemic by 2024. Fuck that!
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Homer Simpson Please Please GIF - Homer Simpson Please Please I Want It GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Simple answer?  Couldn't find a test kit.  Wife grabbed the last 2 at CVS near Deep Eddy, and we used them all on the family (3 neg + 1 pos).  They had a few left at the Jewish HEB today and I grabbed one.  I'll test in a bit once I get this chili going.

Anyone know if there's a significant difference in specificity/whatever it is betwen BinaxNow and the others?  This is a different brand.

The wat?

This will be the last major wave. Covid will always be with us but this January will be the last of it in America to seriously worry about.

Still to be determined how bad this wave will be. South Africa wasn’t hit hard but they’re a lot younger than us with a lot less fats. We shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Cheers to that. I'm ready for this shit to be over. Read something earlier saying it 'may' be endemic by 2024. Fuck that!

That was a Pfizer presentation.  There will still be pockets of the world where they think it won’t be endemic until 2024.  The US and Europe will probably hit that after this wave given vaccine coverage.

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'm going to be that guy and say it: can't we finally just treat this one like "it's just the flu?" Stay home if you're feeling sick; otherwise, live your life?

Yes, I realize that's it's more contagious.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm going to be that guy and say it: can't we finally just treat this one like "it's just the flu?" Stay home if you're feeling sick; otherwise, live your life?

Uh, we likely will by spring time imo

the fortunate/unfortunate thing about this pandemic is that its mostly killed off the people that were anti vaxx or otherwise teetering on the edge, health-wise. 

at least that is my hope….

I saw a blurb on the news that with 7X the doubling rate but only 1/3 the fatality per hospitalization rate, omicron is still gonna be bad, presumably because of the burden it will put on the health care system, even if people aren't dying at as high a rate once they are hospitalized.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we are all vaxxed, keeping hospitalization low, then we can all get it without overwhelming the Healthcare system and causing crises elsewhere in that system. We can then have running immunity. Fingers crossed that the approach doesn't create a more dangerous variant.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
47 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If we are all vaxxed, keeping hospitalization low, then we can all get it without overwhelming the Healthcare system and causing crises elsewhere in that system. We can then have running immunity. Fingers crossed that the approach doesn't create a more dangerous variant.

That's fair. I'm obviously operating under the assumption that the omicron hospitalization numbers stay low.

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

After a week+ back in Austin the Covid reaction between here and Singapore is pretty striking.

Singapore has roughly 100% of people in public in masks. There is a $500 fine and possible jail time.

Austin has around 10% in my estimation.

In Singapore there is mandatory contact tracing entering every store and restaurant via a govt trace app. I’ve had my phone die and had to go home to charge before I could order food. You have to show vax status if you want to dine in.

Here I have been asked to check in once (tile supply store in Plugerville).

There has been a recent surge in Singapore despite the measures (and a high vac rate) so I’m not sure what the answer is. But it just strange to see the differences.

Singapore like the rest of Asia had to deal w SARS. SARS didn’t fuck around. 

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a blurb on the news that with 7X the doubling rate but only 1/3 the fatality per hospitalization rate,

Somebody pulled these numbers straight out of their ass

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a blurb on the news that with 7X the doubling rate but only 1/3 the fatality per hospitalization rate, omicron is still gonna be bad, presumably because of the burden it will put on the health care system, even if people aren't dying at as high a rate once they are hospitalized.

its already made it almost impossible to find a test kit 

17 hours ago, Cement said:

Boosters for the young are not needed and are purely political - scathing review with receipts.  Bottom line - get a booster if you are old or fat but otherwise don't bother as the risk/reward calculus doesn't justify.

Wrong.

Read the source documents relied on.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/rapid-response-recommendation-use-covid-19-vaccines-individuals-aged-12-years-older-myocarditis-pericarditis-reported-following-mrna-vaccines/rapid-response-recommendation-use-covid-19-vaccines-individuals-aged-12-years-older-myocarditis-pericarditis-reported-following-mrna-vaccines.pdf

19 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

And that’s a country with less than 1/4 of the country vaccinated 

ETA omicron is not yet the dominant strain in the US so few if any hospitalizations/deaths here can be attributed to it yet

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is my concern. I'm willing to listen to people that know more than me (there are many), but doesn't increased spread lead to increased mutation/variant?

That being said, I hope everyone's optimistic predictions happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Somebody pulled these numbers straight out of their ass

Maybe, but it's not hard to find confirming numbers:

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said Wednesday that early data suggests omicron is more transmissible than delta, with a doubling time of about two days.

Omicron doubling every 2 days

This is roughly double its prevalence of 9.9% two weeks ago, signaling the mutant strain is circulating with a “doubling time of about two weeks,” Fauci said. 

Early delta doubled every 2 weeks

Edited by jimmyjazz

This is my concern. I'm willing to listen to people that know more than me (there are many), but doesn't increased spread lead to increased mutation/variant.

That being said, I hope everyone's optimistic predictions happen.
We have to roll the dice on it, at this point. Other viruses in the wild (cold, flu, etc) don't seem to have taken a path that becomes overall worse. Some flu seasons are worse than others, but not to the point where they cripple society. The opportunity to stop COVID has long since passed.

I don't even think we had a window of opportunity within our control to stop COVID. China has just too many people and I think the point of no return was probably before the virus even left their borders. Time to embrace the new normal and COVID outbreaks will be monitored like flu outbreaks.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We have to roll the dice on it, at this point. Other viruses in the wild (cold, flu, etc) don't seem to have taken a path that becomes overall worse. Some flu seasons are worse than others, but not to the point where they cripple society. The opportunity to stop COVID has long since passed.

I don't even think we had a window of opportunity within our control to stop COVID. China has just too many people and I think the point of no return was probably before the virus even left their borders. Time to embrace the new normal and COVID outbreaks will be monitored like flu outbreaks.
Understood and I would agree... if we didn't have 30% of the population knowingly chosing the worst option possible every step of the way. I wish these people had been rolling the dice... better results would have turned up more often.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Do I have this sequence correct?

1. It's nothing to worry about. There are 15 cases and there won't be any more.
  2. GOP office holders make investments with insider knowledge of the coming plague.
  3. It's just like the flu which also kills people every year.
  4. Hospitals flood with patients and need refrigerator trucks to store the stiffs.
  5. Masks and social distancing are mandated.
  6. Thousands show up heavily armed for protests that their liberty is being denied.
  7. A shocking fraction of the population say the Covid numbers are a fraud perpetrated by greedy doctors and hospitals looking to cash in on illusory bonuses.[!]
  8. The same fraction vilify the leading doctor in the country (or lame bureaucrat according to some) along with Bill Gates as power mad profiteers. [!]
  9. The same fraction refuse vaccination. They get Covid. Some die. Others get long Covid. T&P.
  10. Delta emerges. 
  11. The same fraction remains steadfast about precautions and vaccines.
  12. The same fraction says that the Delta variant tearing through the unvaccinated is proof the vaccine doesn't work. [!]
  13. Omicron appears.
  14. The same fraction, applying all their science knowledge and trust in science, now says nothing could have been done about Covid anyway. It was always going to be endemic. It's not our fault.
  15. It's just like the flu. Nothing to worry about.

Oops! Almost forgot:

Idiot World

No you don’t have it correct

I’m really sick of trying to explain this shit on here and I’m not going into detail for the umpteenth time, but this shit is endemic. By the time we knew what Covid-19 was it was too late to contain. It was much less deadly than SARS and MERS, and so containment was not going to be feasible. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 7

Just now, elfenix said:

neighbor told me she went to 6 places and couldn't find any antigen tests.  i got a pair yesterday at the cvs down the street, where they had boxes of them.  all gone by this morning at 6 am.  guess i should have gotten 4 tests. 

Thanks, Biden

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

No you don’t have it correct

I’m really sick of trying to explain this shit on here and I’m not going into detail for the umpteenth time, but this shit is endemic. By the time we knew what Covid-19 was it was too late to contain. It was much less deadly than SARS and MERS, and so containment was not going to be feasible. 

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I can’t speak for Roma but I don’t think anyone reasonably expected true containment or eradication. Our world is just much too connected for that.

What we didn’t expect was a full 40% of humans to react like this -

491e974532ed28133827607bd5866053.jpg

Correct. I don't think any item I listed is untrue. I'd be glad if someone pointed out specifically where I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Correct. I don't think any item I listed is untrue. I'd be glad if someone pointed out specifically where I'm wrong.

Your whole post is bullshit sophistry. A “shocking fraction”. That means nothing but sure sounds ominous. Carrying it forward from the initial unknown to the current variant is just silly. You are also trying to equate delta and omicron which are completely different for several reasons. But hey you stay with it

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Do I have this sequence correct?

1. It's nothing to worry about. There are 15 cases and there won't be any more.
  2. GOP office holders make investments with insider knowledge of the coming plague.
  3. It's just like the flu which also kills people every year.
  4. Hospitals flood with patients and need refrigerator trucks to store the stiffs.
  5. Masks and social distancing are mandated.
  6. Thousands show up heavily armed for protests that their liberty is being denied.
  7. A shocking fraction of the population say the Covid numbers are a fraud perpetrated by greedy doctors and hospitals looking to cash in on illusory bonuses.[!]
  8. The same fraction vilify the leading doctor in the country (or lame bureaucrat according to some) along with Bill Gates as power mad profiteers. [!]
  9. The same fraction refuse vaccination. They get Covid. Some die. Others get long Covid. T&P.
  10. Delta emerges. 
  11. The same fraction remains steadfast about precautions and vaccines.
  12. The same fraction says that the Delta variant tearing through the unvaccinated is proof the vaccine doesn't work. [!]
  13. Omicron appears.
  14. The same fraction, applying all their science knowledge and trust in science, now says nothing could have been done about Covid anyway. It was always going to be endemic. It's not our fault.
  15. It's just like the flu. Nothing to worry about.

Oops! Almost forgot:

Idiot World

There was the part where we were told we didn't need masks and that they wouldn't help.  Then we were told sorry, that lie was just to make sure the medical community didn't run out of masks.   Not, eh, we didn't really know, but we lied to you for your own good.  So trust us now that we're not lying when we say you need to wear masks. Even if we accept that premise, you don't build trust by lying.

Then there was the part for a month or two(?) after the vaccines came out where we were told that if we were vaccinated we didn't need to wear a mask.  Then Delta happened and we were told sorry, that was wrong, back to mask wearing.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a hardcore anti-science faction that doesn't help.  But neither do conflicting signals from those who are supposed to be the ones we look to for guidance.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My congestion is largely gone.  My sense of smell is much better, but that is to be expected with the congestion improving.  Sense of taste is much better as well, which again makes sense.  I still have some sniffles, but some of that is just becuase it is fucking cold outside when I walk the dogs (in the cold, my nose runs!).  No cough really, just to clear the post-nasal drip mess that is still there a bit.  I did make the decision to sleep a lot this weekend, which I think has helped me shake the last of this.  Again, I never felt bad.  I was never fatigued.  It was like a mild cold for me.  More of an annoyance than anything.  I am technically allowed to break self-isolation on Christmas Eve.  So, I will probably go see a movie or something mild like that.  On Christmas, I am going to a workout class, will do lunch, and take a nice long walk with the dogs.  Will be back to normal schedule on Boxing Day and will go to tea at the Peninsula.  I guess I am now super immune or something. 

Trip is going to be moved to May, and I am just going to do a week in Paris.  Then I think I am going to sign up for a trip to Egypt.  Time to start ticking off bucket list trips.

Glad you had a relatively mild case. My wife and I both got it last Tuesday or Wednesday (tested negative Wednesday, positive today). Had 100-101 fever basically for 4 straight days, but that seems to have passed now. Mostly just fatigue with some mild shortness of breath issues now. My wife was boosted and seems to have had milder symptoms than I did. My booster was scheduled for this past Thursday lol

New variant ain’t fucking around in New York. I feel like a ton of people I know have tested positive overnight.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I don’t think you’re wrong so much as it’s a very US-Centric view and overstates the consequences of tribal politics on the course of this thing.

Yes of course it’s difficult to maintain any broad public health campaign in the US if Bill Bob from Birmingham isn’t going along with it, and his actions put himself and others at risk. But with 60-70% of Americans fully vaccinated (and much more in many urban areas) it’s hard to say that the lack of social cohesion in the United States has a bigger empire than the vaccine apartheid that allowed this and other variants to achieve critical mass in the Global South. 

Surveillance and sequencing is great in Africa because it has to be.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Your whole post is bullshit sophistry. A “shocking fraction”. That means nothing but sure sounds ominous. Carrying it forward from the initial unknown to the current variant is just silly. You are also trying to equate delta and omicron which are completely different for several reasons. But hey you stay with it

Listen, Sawbonz, I respect you as a contributor here. In this case, you're choosing to read things into this that I did not write.

I don't see how you can deny the existence of the "shocking fraction" of Americans refusing to comply with CDC safeguards, refusing vaccines, and denying the danger of Covid. I'm not stretching whatsoever.

Further, you spit the notion of sophistry back in my face (I'm flattered that you recall and try to use the term in this way) when I really haven't made an argument at all. Sophistry, as you know, is a form of argument.

How do I equate Delta and Omicron beyond them being fast-spreading variants prompting the responses I describe?

I'm truly puzzled about your response to the sequence I lay out. I'd also truly appreciate you providing the number of any point that is not accurate.

Again, this is written respectfully.

Edited by RomaVicta