CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Looks questionable. One time stamp, no date stamps. And it's in image format rather than Twitter format. I'd bet on it being fake. 

If I wanted to troll Costco's mandatory mask rule (if one exists), I'd say, "I'd be happy to wear a mask in your store. Please sell me a box of twenty."

While this particular exchange may be fake, it's worth noting that this screen shot is from Facebook, not Twitter, and the Costco Warehouse account responding to the comments here is obviously from a troll/"parody" account. It's pretty easy to make one and then start trolling on a company's official page, especially for a business that is going to have more traffic from less internet savvy people such as Costco. Wendy's (or maybe it was Sonic, don't remember) had a really clever one for awhile too.

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Azar with the Hail Mary to try to save his job.  Lol

I mean, if it's not clear to YOU that the reason all those meat plant workers are getting sick is because they're dirty mexicans with all those dirty cultural habits, then you are no kind of dr. YOU ARE FAKE MEDICINE.

• Haha 1

this administration.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8296923/HHS-Secretary-Alex-Azar-says-meat-workers-home-social-conditions-caused-spread-corona.html
Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar dismissed concerns about the spread of the coronavirus at meat packing plants, saying workers were more likely to catch the deadly disease at home or in social situations.
Azar's remarks were made on a phone call with Democratic and Republican lawmakers and came after President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to keep meat plants open amid fears of a food shortage.
But the plants have also had high outbreaks of the coronavirus among workers - more than 10,000 have tested positive nationwide with at least 45 deaths.
Some of the lawmakers on the April 28 call with Azar told Politico he said it was the 'home and social' aspects of workers' lives rather than the conditions inside the facilities that led to people catching the disease.
Azar, a member of the White House's Coronavirus Task Force, noted many workers live in group housing, which contributed to the spread, and suggested one solution would be to send in more law enforcement officials to enforce social distancing rules.  
Several people on the call interpreted his remarks as blaming the workers. 
'He was essentially turning it around, blaming the victim and implying that their lifestyle was the problem,' Democratic Rep. Ann Kuster of New Hampshire told Politico. 'Their theory of the case is that they are not becoming infected in the meat processing plant, they're becoming infected because of the way they live in their home.' 
An HHS spokesperson told the news website it doesn't comment on Azar's conversations with lawmakers but called it 'an inaccurate representation of Secretary's Azar's comments during the discussion.' 
At least 10,000 meat industry workers have tested positive since the pandemic began, according to an analysis by USA Today and the Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting. 

At least 170 plants in 29 states have had one or more workers test positive for the coronavirus. Some of those workers also have infected others, which is included in the count. 
Most meat packing workers are Latino and many are illegal immigrants.
About 44 percent of meatpackers are Latino, according to the Center for Economic and Policy Research and 80 percent are undocumented or refugees, according to an analysis from The League of United Latin American Citizens.
ghouls.

JFC, there is no bottom.

There were some interesting studies done on the difference between wisdom (making good choices) and intelligence (measured by IQ). Basically, intelligence wasn't strongly correlated with wisdom. Rather, the more critical bit was how the individual processed information.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 6:39 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

This thread moves very quickly and it's easy to miss something here or over in the DT thread, but has anyone heard from @triplehornat all? I knew at some point folks were inquiring, but I haven't seen any posts for quite some time. I hope everything is okay and it's just a sabbatical.

All good here.  I decided to unplug and get some fresh air for a bit.  Thanks for asking though.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

EXaos11XYAMILYm?format=png&name=large

Yeah, this isn’t going well.

It's actually not horrible.  Adjust that for population (we've got a lot more people than the UK (almost 6X more), and we're at around 5X their cases excluding NY (and at about exactly 6X including NY), and while the last couple of days show a slight uptick, the slope is not steep, AND, we've been testing a lot more (which is absolutely going to result in more "cases" going into our count).  So, on a per capita, we're pretty close to the UK, and our trend line doesn't look that different.

I am not thrilled with the way we've handled this, particularly on the federal level.  But what we've seen happen with the leveling off in cases and deaths is not terrible.  And again, we have to strike a balance -- full shutdown like this can't go on.  It's not sustainable.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

It's actually not horrible.  Adjust that for population (we've got a lot more people than the UK (almost 6X more), and we're at around 5X their cases excluding NY (and at about exactly 6X including NY), and while the last couple of days show a slight uptick, the slope is not steep, AND, we've been testing a lot more (which is absolutely going to result in more "cases" going into our count).  So, on a per capita, we're pretty close to the UK, and our trend line doesn't look that different.

I am not thrilled with the way we've handled this, particularly on the federal level.  But what we've seen happen with the leveling off in cases and deaths is not terrible.  And again, we have to strike a balance -- full shutdown like this can't go on.  It's not sustainable.

Yeah, the flaw here is we have no plan or achievable goal to work towards except “try not to die from covid. Good luck.”  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Look at the people in your life pushing these conspiracy theories. I’d bet they fall in a certain stratum of IQ or academic record that is just above-average enough to breed confidence but not quite enough to convey competence. That’s what I’m seeing, at least. 

Mostly. I do know a UT biology grad who pushes this shit but she's the exception. Most of the family and friends who I see pushing it on Facebook are evangelicals who are prone to believe every right wing conspiracy theory that comes along. Sadly, that includes my mother and father-in-law who both posted the Plandemic video on Facebook today. What a freaking beat down.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, the flaw here is we have no plan or achievable goal to work towards except “try not to die from covid. Good luck.”  

Again, while the feds are MIA on that, what you are saying is flatly untrue.  I am working with tons of entities (including my own business) that are getting literally STACKS of guidance.  And none of that guidance is "throw your doors wide open, fuck it, hope you don't die!"  Sure, there are idiot protesters yelling for that.  But that's NOT what any of the guidance from authorities has been (at least where I am in Texas) -- I'm sure there are some municipalities in SEC country screwing the pooch, and some in Texas as well.  But generally, the guidance is pretty good and consistent in terms of maintaining distancing, mask or other protective gear, and frequent cleaning and hygiene procedures.  Which, collectively, may well keep the transmission rate sufficiently low.

Again, no excuses for the feds being crooked fuckups.  Or for many state and local leaders being Trumpy whores.  But the real-world activity that most folks are working with is at least in the realm of sensible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Thank you for posting this.  Unfortunately I have some family members that are being swept up in all of this BS and I can't figure out what to do about it.  It's such a tough thing to deal with due to this very dynamic you mention - they completely shut out any information that is not from one of the kooks like Judy Mikovits.  It's f'n hard on me man, I wish I was better equipped to combat this.  I'd completely ignore it if I didn't think it could put my parents in harms way.

This has been the biggest struggle for me.  Part of me is like, "Fine, go fucking kill yourself and I can tell you I told you not to be a fucking idiot," and that's infuriating to me that I ever think that about my own parents.  

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, while the feds are MIA on that, what you are saying is flatly untrue.  I am working with tons of entities (including my own business) that are getting literally STACKS of guidance.  And none of that guidance is "throw your doors wide open, fuck it, hope you don't die!"  Sure, there are idiot protesters yelling for that.  But that's NOT what any of the guidance from authorities has been (at least where I am in Texas) -- I'm sure there are some municipalities in SEC country screwing the pooch, and some in Texas as well.  But generally, the guidance is pretty good and consistent in terms of maintaining distancing, mask or other protective gear, and frequent cleaning and hygiene procedures.  Which, collectively, may well keep the transmission rate sufficiently low.

Again, no excuses for the feds being crooked fuckups.  Or for many state and local leaders being Trumpy whores.  But the real-world activity that most folks are working with is at least in the realm of sensible.

That’s good to hear because leadership at the local level is our only way forward.

It's actually not horrible.  Adjust that for population (we've got a lot more people than the UK (almost 6X more), and we're at around 5X their cases excluding NY (and at about exactly 6X including NY), and while the last couple of days show a slight uptick, the slope is not steep, AND, we've been testing a lot more (which is absolutely going to result in more "cases" going into our count).  So, on a per capita, we're pretty close to the UK, and our trend line doesn't look that different. I am not thrilled with the way we've handled this, particularly on the federal level.  But what we've seen happen with the leveling off in cases and deaths is not terrible.  And again, we have to strike a balance -- full shutdown like this can't go on.  It's not sustainable.

We're in line with the country whose PM was straight up planning to just let everyone get infected asap, realized that was dumb as fuck, reversed course, and still got himself in ICU lol.

British People: Always willing to make America look a bit less dumb.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

We're in line with the country whose PM was straight up planning to just let e fine get infected asap, realized that was dumb asv fuck, reversed course, and still got himself in ICU lol.

British People: Always willing to make America look a bit less dumb.

Never said we didn't start out dumb as fuck.

But we are where we are now.  And we make decisions from now going forward.  We can't go back in time and fix dumbfuckery.  This would be a lot easier if we hadn't started off dumb as fuck, but that matters not today.

Never said we didn't start out dumb as fuck.
But we are where we are now.  And we make decisions from now going forward.  We can't go back in time and fix dumbfuckery.  This would be a lot easier if we hadn't started off dumb as fuck, but that matters not today.

Oh I was making fun of the UK and just the general situation.

I've made my peace with the lack of a federal response, I guess. Probably not a good way to phrase it but I don't expect them to do anything useful. Since I live in a state with a government that's sworn loyalty to Trump, I also know not to expectb much from my state.

It's up to individuals and localities, and states in this country. That pisses me off to no end but I've kind of gone through the seven stages and am just trying to adapt and make sure I do my part. When all this is over, we're going to have a crazy disparity in outcomes by geography.

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fair...it's clear the biggest fucking problem, by a country mile, is the dumbest fuck in all of politics...who just happens to be President.  You have to ask  yourself, is it a coincidence the absolute worst human being in the country became President?  If you want to comfort yourself, say yes.   If you want to stare at the nasty truth, the answer is hell no.  He was destined to lead today's Republican party.  I say today's because whether or not anyone here wants to admit it, a lot of good people have left that party.  

The only Republicans who are decent people are former Republicans.  

• Fuck You 1

Siap. This is not to absolve anyone of any responsibility in any level of our government.  

Why is WaPo publishing verifiably false CCP propaganda? There are 1000s of people who disagree with Trump and wanna trash him. There’s no one else they could publish? Maximum TDS. 

Literally, can anyone give me a good reason for it?

14 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Literally, can anyone give me a good reason for it?

It’s kind of important to see how the Chinese Government is responding to our government’s rhetoric, even if they’re untrustworthy liars.  That’s why we have ambassadors, to put out the regime’s public position.  This is to hopefully avoid wars and shit.  

Setting aside any media bias, I could see a paper making a valid decision to let the Chinese Ambassador to the US publish an editorial.  That seems completely legit.

Now, if/when the editorial is filled with verifiable untruths and not just shadings, opinions, and subjectivity, what do you do?

But, upon reading that, what the Ambassador says are shadings, opinions, and subjectivity.  You can vehemently disagree with it, and be pretty close to right, but those are ultimately unverifiable laudatory statements.  The kind Trump makes every single day.

It's an opinion piece.  He's full of shit.  Big fucking deal.  Fox does worse every day and forget OANN.

I wouldn't be surprised if WaPo publishes a counter within the week.  That's the way editorial pages work.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Setting aside any media bias, I could see a paper making a valid decision to let the Chinese Ambassador to the US publish an editorial.  That seems completely legit.

Now, if/when the editorial is filled with verifiable untruths and not just shadings, opinions, and subjectivity, what do you do?

But, upon reading that, what the Ambassador says are shadings, opinions, and subjectivity.  You can vehemently disagree with it, and be pretty close to right, but those are ultimately unverifiable laudatory statements.  The kind Trump makes every single day.

It's an opinion piece.  He's full of shit.  Big fucking deal.  Fox does worse every day and forget OANN.

I wouldn't be surprised if WaPo publishes a counter within the week.  That's the way editorial pages work.

So for argument’s sake let’s say the level of falsehoods and their severity are similar between Trump and China regarding the Coronavirus, even though I may disagree. 

I don’t read WaPo everyday, but I feel safe going on a limb and saying every statement Trump or any government official has made has been dissected and questioned thoroughly. That being the case, why would WaPo give China and the CCP preferential treatment over our own government, wrong as they may be?  

Maybe you’re right and Jennifer Rubin will be out next week with a column trashing the Chinese ambassador or maybe even questioning him/China? First she would have to stop fellating Andrew Cuomo. 

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Finally had to remove Facebook from my phone for a while. Between Covid conspiracies and the upcoming election it was more than I could take. Bunch of lunatics.

I went to a very small school (42 in my senior class).  I'm on Facebook, and 30 of my classmates are Facebook friends, as well as several others from classes before and after me.  When you are from a small town, and have moved hours away, it's important to have that connection; to know who's parents have passed, what their kids are up to, whatnot.

I've lost count on how many are hard core #MAGA types.  When one finally posts something totally abhorrent, I just hide them.  I hate that I have to hide people I grew up with on Facebook, but damn.  When the former classmate who as a student took special education classes posts shit such as virus spread rates, and how he's done his own calculations on what the actual death rate is, you just have to cut your losses and move on.

• Like 3