CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Yeah he is fucking scared shitless about the market. 

which has been artificially inflated by [checks notes] his tax cuts and those ceos to whom he spoke deciding to [checks notes] use that tax cut revenue to buy back stock rather than trickle it down to rank and file. 

oh, okay.

• Like 1

Seriously, they have no concrete plan, no advice, no guidance. Just bullshit. "Do what the experts say" but they refuse to say what that is. "Doing great things" but again they refuse to say what that is. And now, fucking taking credit for the things private groups are doing. Fucking ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

As the president always says “we’re all in this together.” Uhhh...wut? I’ve never heard him say that. 

Yeah, I always get “we’re all in this together" and "And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything"  confused as well. 

Just for kicks, I took the data from the following website:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

for the period from March 1 - March 14th and ran a trendline to see how close an exponential formula matched up with the recent data.  The resulting formula was:

Infections = 72.847 exp(0.2865 x n), where n = the number of days 3/1/20

with an rsq = 0.9989, so a pretty tight match.

Plug in n=30 for the projected number of infections by March 31 - 393,707 cases.  So, yeah, we better hope that our social distancing efforts (and any other factors that we may luck into) make a difference, or we're pretty much fucked pretty quickly.

If you want to see the impact of efforts to curb the spread of the disease, the website offers a logarithmic graph option for the total cases - no impact = a straight line on the log graphs, effective efforts cause the log graph to bend downward.  The US data trend is starting to bend down over the last day or two, so hopefully this demonstrates the impact of the recent shutdowns of large gatherings / businesses in the U.S.

** Obviously, this is an extremely simplistic analysis, and there are a lot of factors that come into play in modeling this stuff out, but it's eye-opening.  I wish people understood even the basic math involved.

• Like 1

This administration will finally get testing in place when it’s too late because everyone will already have it, but won’t have done anything to get additional hospital facilities and equipment in place to treat the afflicted.

The situation will then devolve into the creation of death panels with Trump issuing a thumbs up or thumbs down as patients are wheeled in gurneys in front of the White House.

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Just for kicks, I took the data from the following website:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

for the period from March 1 - March 14th and ran a trendline to see how close an exponential formula matched up with the recent data.  The resulting formula was:

Infections = 72.847 exp(0.2865 x n), where n = the number of days 3/1/20

with an rsq = 0.9989, so a pretty tight match.

Plug in n=30 for the projected number of infections by March 31 - 393,707 cases.  So, yeah, we better hope that our social distancing efforts (and any other factors that we may luck into) make a difference, or we're pretty much fucked pretty quickly.

If you want to see the impact of efforts to curb the spread of the disease, the website offers a logarithmic graph option for the total cases - no impact = a straight line on the log graphs, effective efforts cause the log graph to bend downward.  The US data trend is starting to bend down over the last day or two, so hopefully this demonstrates the impact of the recent shutdowns of large gatherings / businesses in the U.S.

** Obviously, this is an extremely simplistic analysis, and there are a lot of factors that come into play in modeling this stuff out, but it's eye-opening.  I wish people understood even the basic math involved.

Don't worry, we won't have enough tests available to confirm all those cases. 

• Like 1

this is truly embarrassing. "decisive leadership the president has brought...." uh, what? even today his net advice was "relax, we are good," which we are not good.

now i have the personal opinion that this shit is here and is deadly to the elderly and others with underlying conditions, but asymptomatic or low level in other demographics.

but the utter lack of seriousness these fucks have treated this situation is appalling. 

these guy have been working so fucking hard, and they have nothing. it's always tomorrow with these fucking people.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk