CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I'm sure there are some good people in govt that have learned that the best method to get Trump to agree to the right course, is to first praise him for saving all Americans.  Then Trump will listen to you. Some people might give up and leave, others might go along just because they prioritize the problem.

Setting aside political differences and just focusing on the facts, Trump has personally setup a situation where his behavior cab be directly attributable to thousands of future deaths. By consistently downplaying and mocking the seriousness of the disease over the last two months, he established a mindset in the population to disregard the seriousness of the threat, and take fewer precautions that could stem the spread, or at least slow it down. It's absolutely abhorent. Just to put it into perspective, the potential deaths from this virus could end up being way higher than all of the American deaths from the Iraq war.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

"... and shake as many hands as possible. Go to a nursing home and kiss as many people as you can. Run your tongue along every metal surface you can find. Play the 'Lets sneeze in each others faces' game. Book that vacation to Italy you've always wanted to take." 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

“Mah-reee-a Eee-na-oh-sah”

Maria Hinojosa

Ophebia Quist-Arcton takes the absolute cake.  The amusing thing is you can put any sort of phonetic spelling you can come up with into a search engine and it comes up.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"... and shake as many hands as possible. Go to a nursing home and kiss as many people as you can. Run your tongue along every metal surface you can find. Play the 'Lets sneeze in each others faces' game. Book that vacation to Italy you've always wanted to take." 

You know for a fact that MAGA idiots are going to start sharing videos of themselves coughing on each other and licking discarded medical waste to prove that coronavirus is a Democrat hoax.  At this point in the Worst Timeline, that shit is inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Setting aside political differences and just focusing on the facts, Trump has personally setup a situation where his behavior cab be directly attributable to thousands of future deaths. By consistently downplaying and mocking the seriousness of the disease over the last two months, he established a mindset in the population to disregard the seriousness of the threat, and take fewer precautions that could stem the spread, or at least slow it down. It's absolutely abhorent. Just to put it into perspective, the potential deaths from this virus could end up being way higher than all of the American deaths from the Iraq war.  

I couldn't agree more. At best, this is gross incompetence. More likely it's negligent homicide. Negligent only because he didn't consider or care about the deaths of American citizens; he didn't plot for them to die.

All he cares about are his ratings and his likelihood of re-election. Susan Collins sponsored a lesson for Trump where he learned that only caring about those two things are A-OK. 

Oh yes, he was chastened alright.

source.gif

1jmU.gif

14 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Ah yes, Congressman Nunes of the California 22nd...all those local pubs that your Fresno is known for.  Who amongst us hasn't organized a bachelor party that involved a pub crawl through Visalia.  The fucking famed Irish bartenders union of Eastern-Central California finally get to you, you fucking dolt?    After every health official on the Sunday morning shows strongly urged Americans to start seriously rethinking restaurant, bars, cinemas, etc. for the next few weeks.  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I couldn't agree more. At best, this is gross incompetence. More likely it's negligent homicide. Negligent only because he didn't consider or care about the deaths of American citizens; he didn't plot for them to die.

All he cares about are his ratings and his likelihood of re-election. Susan Collins sponsored a lesson for Trump where he learned that only caring about those two things are A-OK. 

Oh yes, he was chastened alright.

source.gif

1jmU.gif

That completely disgusting and depraved public decision not to bring American citizens off the cruise ship "because I like our numbers" kind of encapsulates his entire presidency in a soundbite.

Not because they are a danger.

Not because they are receiving adequate/better care on the ship.

Because. I. Like. The. Numbers.

Jesus wept.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Yeah, Newt jokes aside...it would be wise to listen to him.  He can get the ear of McConnell faster than most current Congressman (they did some big shit together in the 90's across the two chambers.  Anyway, as stated above, Callista is very engaged in Italian politics as the Holy See diplomat.  This is one topic they can speak effectively to (Italy covid/govt actions) and because Newt has been such a Trump asskisser thusfar, the President would actually listen to him.  

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you have a source, go post on the Testing thread.  I'd like to know more.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I can't remember where I heard it. It was either on the tv news or NPR. It didn't seem particularly relevant at the time. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-testing-failure-123166

On Saturday Jan. 11 — a month and a half before the first Covid-19 case not linked to travel was diagnosed in the United States — Chinese scientists posted the genome of the mysterious new virus, and within a week virologists in Berlin had produced the first diagnostic test for the disease.

Soon after, researchers in other nations rolled out their own tests, too, sometimes with different genetic targets. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped tests to nearly 60 countries.

The United States was not among them.

Why the United States declined to use the WHO test, even temporarily as a bridge until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could produce its own test, remains a perplexing question and the key to the Trump administration’s failure to provide enough tests to identify the coronavirus infections before they could be passed on, according to POLITICO interviews with dozens of viral-disease experts, former officials and some officials within the administration’s health agencies.

“Please provide an explanation for why the Covid-19 diagnostic test approved by the World Health Organization was not used,” Sen. Patty Murray, the ranking Democrat on the Senate health committee, who represents the hard-hit state of Washington, asked in a 3½-page letter on the testing fiasco to Pence, Health Secretary Alex Azar, CDC director Robert Redfield, and Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn.

So far, none has been provided.

• Like 3

You would think that the GOP would be extremely worried that the elderly face the highest fatality rate with coronavirus. That’s their voting base.  Losing upwards of 10-15% From their core base would seem like it would over-motivate them to act.

in hurricane response,  no politician gets heat for overly responding.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

5/10/18

I'm genuinely curious what an ardent Trump supporter thinks of this.  I'm sure the denial would have something to do with John Bolton doing this to screw the President and make him suscetiple 18 months later.  But the timelines don't match up obviously, but if you don't believe in math, I suppose believing in chronological time is probably an easy thing to abandon, too.  

And the german vaccine story makes perfect sense.  He got his feelings hurt twice a couple weeks ago when his bullshit declaration that a vaccine would be here soon (even though it'll be a year) got called out, and then his looking like a moron even by Trump standards when the cabinet and science leaders heard him ask with a straight face why a flu vaccination wouldn't beat this thing.  So he got all hissy and pissy and demanded somebody give him more intel on vaccine efforts.  So his aides reached out to intel community operators and state department officials in major countries and asked who had heard anything about vaccine production.  Somebody discretely came back and said, "we heard that in Germany there is a firm that will have one ready sooner than anyone else.  And we have leverage over one of the team leaders based on humint.  And we can make a large payment either to the scientists directly or to the whole company to allow you Mr. President to bring the vaccine back to America first for use here."  And he told them to run with the plan, probably is word got out from somebody chatty and now the whole world thinks we're even bigger assholes than before.  

I get owning the Libs.  Fucking with the Democrat Party is one of my favorite pastimes.  I never voted for him and will never vote for him.  But how do you Trump voters look at shit like this and forgive it?  It has nothing to do with our partisan bullshit back home, nothing to do with Pelosi, or Federal Judgeships.  This is concrete proof that he fucked up our whole pandemic containment team two years ago between firings and budget cuts.  And then he does the really Christian thing and attempts to horde the vaccine from the world.  Since I can't ask on any other threads without getting temporarily banned...tell me how you justify shit like this?  Besides the usual cries of Fake News, I mean.  

If you 'Close our China', they'll close their China.  Others may choose to close their Chinas as well.  

Wait, did he mean our Chinatown?  

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk