CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

So he took the test after the WH sent out a letter saying why he didn’t need to take the test? 

I’m guessing he didn’t take the test but they’re gonna say he passed with flying colors. Perfect test. No COVID-19. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Did he just suggest he might replace remove Powell as chair or am I insane?  Markets are going to fucking love this.

If executed properly, this will be a positive. Chairwoman Ivanka has been preparing her entire life for this moment. 

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Trump said he was thinking about banning travel to the UK then Pence said that it was already decided. It seems like he really doesn't pay attention.

It's almost as if they're making it up as they go along.

• Like 3

Surgeon General tells Press not to write stories negative of Dear Leader.  No "finger pointing".  Only forward moving, how great we are doing in giving out tax payer money stories.   Not backward looking abject failure of a fucktard narcissist incompetent running our administration and failing to do the most important things to slow the spread of the deadly virus stories.

Dear Leader can still tweet about it is all Obama's fault though.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Surgeon General tells Press not to write stories negative of Dear Leader.  No "finger pointing".  Only forward moving, how great we are doing in giving out tax payer money stories.   Not backward looking abject failure of a fucktard narcissist incompetent running our administration and failing to do the most important things to slow the spread of the deadly virus stories.

Gaslighting fucks.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

At last I can remember, 50 million work for companies with 500 or more.

Only about 15 million work for companies between 100 snd 500 employees.

So that legislation is to help about .004% of Americans? Nice. But, they still get to claim it is included.

Edited by pacman

Yet in some respects, the avalanche of false information from the president has been most alarming of all. It’s been one rock slide after another, the likes of which we have never seen. Day after day after day he brazenly denied reality, in an effort to blunt the economic and political harm he faced. But Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.) The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.  

To make matters worse, the president delivered an Oval Office address that was meant to reassure the nation and the markets but instead shook both. The president’s delivery was awkward and stilted; worse, at several points, the president, who decided to ad-lib the teleprompter speech, misstated his administration’s own policies, which the administration had to correct. Stock futures plunged even as the president was still delivering his speech. In his address, the president called for Americans to “unify together as one nation and one family,” despite having referred to Washington Governor Jay Inslee as a “snake” days before the speech and attacking Democrats the morning after it. As The Washington Post’s Dan Balz put it, “Almost everything that could have gone wrong with the speech did go wrong.”

Read: You’re likely to get the coronavirus

Taken together, this is a massive failure in leadership that stems from a massive defect in character. Trump is such a habitual liar that he is incapable of being honest, even when being honest would serve his interests. He is so impulsive, shortsighted, and undisciplined that he is unable to plan or even think beyond the moment. He is such a divisive and polarizing figure that he long ago lost the ability to unite the nation under any circumstances and for any cause. And he is so narcissistic and unreflective that he is completely incapable of learning from his mistakes. The president’s disordered personality makes him as ill-equipped to deal with a crisis as any president has ever been. With few exceptions, what Trump has said is not just useless; it is downright injurious.

The nation is recognizing this, treating him as a bystander “as school superintendents, sports commissioners, college presidents, governors and business owners across the country take it upon themselves to shut down much of American life without clear guidance from the president,” in the words of Peter Baker and Maggie Haberman of The New York Times.

Donald Trump is shrinking before our eyes.

The coronavirus is quite likely to be the Trump presidency’s inflection point, when everything changed, when the bluster and ignorance and shallowness of America’s 45th president became undeniable, an empirical reality, as indisputable as the laws of science or a mathematical equation.

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain. The president, enraged for having been unmasked, will become more desperate, more embittered, more unhinged. He knows nothing will be the same. His administration may stagger on, but it will be only a hollow shell. The Trump presidency is over.

https://amp-theatlantic-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607969/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fideas%2Farchive%2F2020%2F03%2Fpeter-wehner-trump-presidency-over%2F607969%2F

46 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

We absolutely need to look back to fully understand and comprehend why, when we look forward, we need to immediately remove this guy from any decision making re Covid19 and put Fauci and the Drs in charge of everything.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain. The president, enraged for having been unmasked, will become more desperate, more embittered, more unhinged. He knows nothing will be the same. His administration may stagger on, but it will be only a hollow shell. The Trump presidency is over.

Ah, well, nevertheless

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Putin sent him the cure.

Not sure if fake news, but look at this shit:

Russia offers PH cure for COVID-19

Published March 12, 2020, 10:24 AM

By Minerva BC Newman

CEBU CITY — The Russian Federation, through its Ambassador to the Philippines Igor Anatolyevich Khovaev has offered to donate a medicine that it used in treating coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients in Russia.

Khovaev told the media that Russia has successfully tried an existing medicine that they had developed called “Cicloferon” for cough, flu, fever, and others which they tried on coronavirus patients and found to be very effective.

“We have no more cases of COVID-19 so far,” he said.

The Ambassador offered to donate this medicine to the Philippines and should be considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Department of Health (DOH) as treatment, according to the country’s procedures and protocols.

Khovaev said Cicloferon is an over-the-counter medicine which the Russian medical practitioners precribed to those who were infected with COVID-19 and recovered after taking it.

“Our medicine is as potent as our weapons,” he added and reminded Filipinos, particularly the Cebuanos not to panic because Russsia is ready to supply the country with the medicine which is highly-effective for treatment of patients infected with COVID-19.

Khovaev said the Philippines must recover from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) because the tourism potentials of Cebu and the country for Russian tourists is great.

“Russia is very safe from the COVID-19and we are encouraging more Filipinos/Cebuanos to visit Russia,” he said.

Russia and the Philippines committed to have a robust partnership to help the country in all aspects of security and defense and cyber law enforcement collaboration said Russian Ambassador to the Philippines Igor Anatolyevich Khovaev.

Khovaev visited Cebu City Wednesday as guest to an event hosted by Rotary Club of Metro Cebu at the Seda Ayala Center.

He said Russia and the Philippines have close coordination, partners in security and defense, and are allies in finding solutions to crimes, illegal drugs, and other trans-national crimes related to cybertechnology, security and defense.

“We have very useful and fruitful diplomatic discussions with the Philippines and Russia has committed to a robust partnership with the country to help her in all aspects of security and defense, and cyber law enforcement,” Khovaev said.

Krovaev said Russia is offering its advanced digital technology to fight crimes through cyber law enforcement. “We are fully protected because our cybertechnology is very much advanced than any country in the world.”

Russia also offered close coordination with the Philippines in terms of project developments in the energy sector, tourism, business, science, arts and culture, and council education exchanges, Krovaev added.

According toKrovaev, Cebu is a dynamic region, a driver for business and tourists’ potentials for Russia. This is why Russia wants to have a partnership with Cebu in terms of more Russians tourists to come to Cebu and more Filipino tourists going to Russia.

He said it is easier to get a Russian visa than a US visa. Cebu and Russia plan to have a joint promotional tourism program by November or December this year, said Armi Garcia, honorary consul to the Federation of Russia.

“There is a need to improve connectivity between Russia and Cebu because we already have a working system and it is working well. Russians are long staying tourists,” Garcia said.

“And we spend a lot of money as tourists in other countries,” Krovaev added

With Ambassador Khovaev were Embassy of the Russian Federation’s second secretary Denis Karenin and chairperson, honorary consul to Russia Armi Garcia.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

Unexpected cosequences of this virus:

Fast forward to June 1:

Trump - Incapacitated or worse and unable to govern; succession triggered.

Pence - ditto

Next up - President Pelosi

McConnell would literally set the Constitution on fire to avoid this.

• Like 1

I came very, close to hopping back in and making some moves in the 401K.  But I think the market had a nice bounce as much as anything knowing that Trump is going to blow the $50 billion and asking for more in August.  My opinion is that normally I would say we might see some stabilization.  Instead what is going to happen is we are going to start to get a picture of exactly how fucked up the initial response was, and that the virus is everywhere and how long can we simply stay away from each other.  I figure in about 10 days, we are going to see another 2000 point drop.  I do not think it will be next week.  It will be after news starts trickling out next weekend and then it's gonna move heavily to the downside when the realization is that $50 billion isn'g going to be nearly enough for this scale of initial incompetence.

On that bottom I am going to hop back in.  Or i could be completely wrong. But I think when the reality and scale of this mess is realized NONE of the choices are going to be any good.  Just go about your business and write off the old people?  Stay home, as the economy crashes and then you end up no longer having a home, a job, or prospects. We are going to have to find a balance.  

Unfortunately in a month we are going to look like the dumbest fucking run government in the world.  IF we start building massive quarantine hospitals on military bases this week we have a chance.  But we can't do that, because it might make the market nervous. And again the stupidity that is the Trump Administration will make another unforced error by not anticipating what is going to be obvious in 10 days with testing finally ramping up.  Probably in a month it will be US Citizens posing the most risk to the world from a travel perspective.

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So I see from FB posts created by hard-right schoolmates I grew up with that we're now on to "this is the Dems' fault for distracting the 'pubs with that impeachment hoax."

Great excuse for their view on Obama. "he sucked cause he had to deal with Trump questioning where he was born the whole time. " 

As a follow-up to the Manila Bulletin article I posted above about Russia offering the Philippines a medical cure for Covid-19, I asked "why in the hell would Putin be approaching PH about offering this cure as a first step?  In my wildest imagination, what could possibly motivate that?"

My first hit:

PH holds USD 26.3-T untapped oil deposits

Edited by triplehorn

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So I see from FB posts created by hard-right schoolmates I grew up with that we're now on to "this is the Dems' fault for distracting the 'pubs with that impeachment hoax."

Delete Facebook, for fucks sake. 

• Like 3

I have faith that the public is informed now and it will be a short quarantine time now.
I see us clearing this up by May.

Same. I think it’s in all our heads the second we wake up. There’s dumbfucks on social media but for every one of those there’s a lot taking this seriously. At least that is my hope.

No events to go to. May as well stay home and watch tv now.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk