CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Current Democratic leadership is insufficient to the needs of the moment.

Wow. I'd already called Cruz and Cornyn this morning telling them to support the bill when I saw it passed. God damnit.

Edited by gmr548

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Negged for sending your daughter to Auburn (although my nephew is there. They should date!)

Actually I guess I should pos rep to balance it out.   Not to threadjack but I have run into the same body shape/type wearing Alabama gear who felt compelled to comment to me.

Although that does look like a hole in the law, many of the larger companies tend to be a bit ahead of the curve in terms of sick leave policies anyway, so the negatives might not be as bad as the optics. 

The companies with large call center type operations are going to have to figure out a way to keep employees home, so they will probalby solve some of the issues outside of government fiat.

For instance, amazon announced it would be giving these benefits a couple of days ago.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Not political, but I managed to get my brisket & beer from Cedar Park Costco yesterday without too much inconvenience. Under 40 minutes total & even though the checkout lines were halfway through the store it went quickly. I made sure to chat with several of the staff we know by name (greeter Kevin; older black guy with a sweet, silver jerry curl mullet) and thanked the checkout staff for all their hard work. Tina as she was scanning my items said "brisket...beer..yogurt...dog treats...hey, this is a NORMAL cart!" Glad to see she still had her sense of humor.

I've been smoking this brisket since 6AM (finally coming out from the stall). Our good friend was going to come over for the BBQ, but he's 79 and woke up with a runny nose today. More than likely due to the insane oak pollen, but he knows that catching COVID-19 would likely be a death sentence so he's staying in. We told him we'd drop of a brisket & sausage care package tonight.

Stay safe, y'all. 

What color is Tina's skin?

Here's my concern more closely to home.  We are good friends with an older couple,  and we go have margaritas someplace about one a week to 10 days.  We haven't seen them in maybe two weeks but we knew they had a wedding and they usually initiate the plans.  The wife and I are 58/59 and they are 64/68 respectively. Well we ended up going to an early happy hour yesterday at Hopdoddy (great  happy hour by the way) and enjoyed our evening together.  They are great people but we are diametric opposites politically and they receive most of their information from Fox News.  OF course conversation turned to the coronavirus at some point, as the girl next to us was talking about HEB's restocking issues (in today's paper new 8-8 hours to allow for restocking time. And I got to talking about it with my older buddy and told him they may need to hunker down at the house.  He explained to me that this whole thing seems sort of overblown.  He also expressed how nice it was to be out with us again, as they both were down with bronchitis the week before.  I explained, "Hell "Sam" I'm not even sure you should be here tonight if you are recovering from Bronchitis?" To which for a second time he expressed, "I'm just not sure of this corona thing."

I may not agree with his politics but being fed misinformation from Fox News is literally going to kill some people.  I just hope it's not my friends.

Just hopped to Yahoo on exiting here and this was the top article Is corona virus "just a cold" or a reason to self quarantine, Trump supporters seem split

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

... Was?

If you're referring to tweet 1 "who's" let's hope it's "who is" rather than "who was".

I'm skeptical that were going to see a full shutdown of activity. I'm not certain we can afford it. I'm going in Monday like it's business as usual. The theater where my daughter works is definitely quieter. They have spent the recent days disinfecting everything that might possibly have been touched. All those years of training from me and my mom are being applied in earnest. 

Bullshit. Everyone needs to be staying the fuck home NOW. No eating out, no going out to socialize, etc. No going in to work.

Where is the leadership on this? Obviously not at the federal level. But not at the state or local level either. We're going to be in much worse shape economically and socially because we're not doing this shit right now.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

If you're referring to tweet 1 "who's" let's hope it's "who is" rather than "who was".

I'm skeptical that were going to see a full shutdown of activity. I'm not certain we can afford it. I'm going in Monday like it's business as usual. The theater where my daughter works is definitely quieter. They have spent the recent days disinfecting everything that might possibly have been touched. All those years of training from me and my mom are being applied in earnest. 

No, I meant "was," as in "this was the week." While obviously the situation is different in different places, I'm curious if the implication is the the red line has been blown across or if it was stressing the importance.

I don't think the entirety of the USA is going to see a shut down. Localities will probably implement their own and they'll have limited effectiveness due to scope. We're probably going to be playing wack-a-mole with this thing across the country for the next year or two. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it - a significant expense is unavoidable. We can minimize the human and economic toll or we can not.

EDIT: Also, I obviously don't know your individual situation and I understand we're all pulled in a lot of different directions, but if you can avoid going into work on Monday, please do so.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

Negged for sending your daughter to Auburn (although my nephew is there. They should date!)

Dude, I neg myself about it.

But, college is too fucking expensive (and now I’ll have two) for them not to go where they think they’ll be the happiest.

But she got their highest dollar amount of automatic scholarship money and we just found out this week she won an additional departmental scholarship so, it’s all good.

And she’s already said she’s always going to be a Bama football fan - so, ya know, priorities.

On our way to Hobby Lobby, we drove past downtown and I noticed some streets were blocked off in the entertainment district.

Stupid fucking city didn’t cancel the Saint Patrick’s Day festivities.

Looked like a lighter crowd than normal but still, really fucking dumb.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No, I meant "was," as in "this was the week." While obviously the situation is different in different places, I'm curious if the implication is the the red line has been blown across or if it was stressing the importance.

I don't think the entirety of the USA is going to see a shut down. Localities will probably implement their own and they'll have limited effectiveness due to scope. We're probably going to be playing wack-a-mole with this thing across the country for the next year or two. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it - a significant expense is unavoidable. We can minimize the human and economic toll or we can not.

EDIT: Also, I obviously don't know your individual situation and I understand we're all pulled in a lot of different directions, but if you can avoid going into work on Monday, please do so.

The rain will shut down a lot of activity. I have limited contact with most people, but it's not my call. 

It's going to take a lot to make all the service industry to completely shut down. Grass keeps growing whether we want it to or not. 

Just now, TornACL said:

We'll know when he takes to Twitter to gloat and to verbally harass the virus as weak and not really that good of a virus, people are saying. 

Or he will get it and tweet out,” I have the corona virus and doctors say my corona virus is the most beautiful corona virus they have ever seen.”

46 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

It's going to take a lot to make all the service industry to completely shut down.

Agree with you 100 percent. It'd take government intervention - anything less and America will try to keep chugging along. We'll see how it goes.

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

As much as trump and this administration lies, I don't think we will ever know if he really tested neg or he is poz

If he came out and said "I'm positive" I would believe he didn't have it.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk