CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Over at the DT sanitized thread Chi Town Doc had a rundown from Goldman Sachs' call to their 1500 bigs. Comparisons were made to 9/11. 

It's not the same. Yeah some similarities, but this is different. 

Gas spiked. But, despite the misgivings about going to war there was a fleeting unity. No need to go into all of it, but it was different in our collective response. We were united in wanting to kick some ass. This chunk of genetic material that fucks with us ain't the same. 

I've never seen Wal-Mart close up early because of a hurricane or a snowstorm. Whole shelves bare all over town. No ice? Schools closed. Full on shut down of air travel and the massivest of clusterfucks in the aftermath. We just had mass inoculations at airports all over the country. 

I already called my boss. It is mostly a concern for the weather. It's business as usual other than that. 

And this time around there is a significant portion of the people that are dead set on doing just that. Business as usual. It's bogus. It won't get me. I'm not sick. I feel fine. I've got a date. W wanted us to go out and be good consumers or else they win. This time around we're having to shut down early to respond to the panic buying. 

Maybe I'm getting too old and cautious. I'm definitely too broke to stay home a couple of months. 

5 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Good point - the very modest slowdown (relative to the trendline) that I saw is probably a function of a subset of the population using a modicum of common sense rather than the more recent governmental efforts.   

Where did you see a modest slowdown? Link?

Here is one of the best sites I've come across for monitoring Covid-19 cases in the US.

There is a graph of cumulative cases that shows no slowdown to date. In fact, you can plot it logarithmically and the result has been linear for almost 2 weeks now, meaning we are still in the exponential growth phase.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

As the only sane generation its up to us. Tell your parents to self quarantine as much as possible so they don’t contact it. Because it can kill them.

Tell your kids  to either self quarantine or at least don’t go around the old folks. They won’t listen but at least you told them to anyway so it won’t be your fault.

Everyone will get this eventually. The whole point of what we are doing is to make sure we all don’t get it at the same time.

It wont kill everyone. This isn’t The Stand. But we are doing it to minimize the effects of it it. Tell your ridiculous facebook friends or people you meet otherwise to just shut the fuck up. 

Generation X has got this. Fuck all y’all. 

elbow bump. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Where did you see a modest slowdown? Link?

Here is one of the best sites I've come across for monitoring Covid-19 cases in the US.

There is a graph of cumulative cases that shows no slowdown to date. In fact, you can plot it logarithmically and the result has been linear for almost 2 weeks now, meaning we are still in the exponential growth phase.

I was using the data here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

They have the log graph here as well.  If you look close, there's a really modest bend downward over the last day or two (which amounts to about 75 fewer cases than my exponential trendline at 3/15).  The quality of the data is a bit questionable so probably not worth reading too much into it.

Looks like DeBlasio is ordering all bars and restaurants to only be open for takeout/3rd party ordering. I am glad I save money really well. Some of the servers I work with are absolutely screwed right now who have not saved any money up. I feel really bad for them, but this is the right thing to do. 

I still think we are just at the tip of the iceberg on this though and things are going to get much bleaker before things improve. If only we had competent leadership in place for a crisis like this. 

Just watched tonight’s John Oliver.

No audience, a weird all white set because their regular set can’t be used because someone who works there tested positive.

Good show but surreal.

And he had a clip from Fox & Friends I can’t believe I missed this week.

Dr. Geraldo Rivera stating with complete confidence that if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds then you don’t have coronavirus.

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No audience, a weird all white set because their regular set can’t be used because someone who works there tested positive.

Good show but surreal.

Dr. Geraldo Rivera stating with complete confidence that if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds then you don’t have coronavirus.

There's going to be a LOT of Right wing nutters that die.  

#schadenfreude 

My Trumpkin brother in law posted this on Facebook today.

a93b3caf259df76a3897693089338e90.jpg

Y’all. It took all I had to not comment. Like, it doesn’t even make sense biologically!

“Hold your breath for ten seconds and you’re good!”

“The virus just hangs out in your throat so gargle with something and you’re good!”

Like, just use some common sense for fucks sake!

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Holy crap!  Even Dr. Manhattan has caught the coronavirus?!

Edited by TexLonghorn
As for the rest - the virus just sits in the throat!? How stupid are people??
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Good show but surreal.

lol somebody tried to tell me that yesterday but it was 20 seconds 

51 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Wonder if he's passed the Oliver test.

Had a chat with my 90 year old grandmother today to talk her into staying home for a couple weeks. She was blaming the democrats for how they are blaming the upcoming economic downturn on “poor old Trump.”  With a 20+ year policy of not engaging, I think she was surprised when I went off. For once I got her to change the subject off of politics.

Maybe she’ll stay home. I can only handle one trumpkin family member a day so Ill try to talk my 70 year old mom into staying home tomorrow. I’m afraid there’s no hope for my 80 year old dad. He still works around sick and old people 3 days a week because he gets bored at home. Fully expect he’ll be at work tomorrow regardless. The one hope there is that after 65 years of being exposed to sick people he’s got a strong enough immune system that he can fight it off. 

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I’m afraid there’s no hope for my 80 year old dad. He still works around sick and old people 3 days a week because he gets bored at home. Fully expect he’ll be at work tomorrow regardless. The one hope there is that after 65 years of being exposed to sick people he’s got a strong enough immune system that he can fight it off. 

Tell him it spreads easier than polio or measles. That's something he can relate to. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Tell him it spreads easier than polio or measles. That's something he can relate to. 

And to help Trumpers without a medical background, tell them it spreads easier than Michelle Duggar's legs...

19 infections and counting

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all. It took all I had to not comment. Like, it doesn’t even make sense biologically!

“The virus just hangs out in your throat so gargle with something and you’re good!”

My wife's 80yr old grandmother was sharing this shit and saying it's veracity just a couple days ago. She's a smart woman, but drinks deep from the fox news fountain and believes state tv over medical experts.

Fuck so many old people are putting themselves at risk for no reason but to own the libs. 

Post you heard it’s 2 minutes and to gargle with bleach. It’ll be doing society a favor.

• Like 4

Re that “holding your breath for 10 sec” deal, I came across this (no idea if this is legitimate or not):  

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon."

To the extent the above is accurate, it sounds like the pneumonia phase happens several days after the fever breaks and in part involves an immune response run amok where antibodies confuse lung tissue with virus and cause fibrosis.  This doesn’t happen to everyone but is a main contributing reason people are hospitalized and need ventilation.  So it stands to reason a lot of people WILL get and have Covid-19, but not the complicated pneumonia as demonstrated by passing the lung inhalation test.  So don’t be misled and be in a position to potentially spread it.  At least that’s how I read it.  It could be the lung test fails earlier in the onset when fever starts, don’t know.

Edited by triplehorn

21 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Re that “holding your breath for 10 sec” deal, I came across this (no idea if this is legitimate or not):  

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon."

To the extent the above is accurate, it sounds like the pneumonia phase happens several days after the fever breaks and in part involves an immune response run amok where antibodies confuse lung tissue with virus and cause fibrosis.  This doesn’t happen to everyone but is a main contributing reason people are hospitalized and need ventilation.  So it stands to reason a lot of people WILL get and have Covid-19, but not the complicated pneumonia as demonstrated by passing the lung inhalation test.  So don’t be misled and be in a position to potentially spread it.  At least that’s how I read it.  It could be the lung test fails earlier in the onset when fever starts, don’t know.

It's not.  Stanford sent out a Tweet, say this is bogus and falsely attributed to them.

Edited by DixonHur
I tried to embed the Tweet, but without success...tutorial requested

So, imagine if there was a political party that screamed "DEATH PANELS" every time someone brought up overhauling healthcare so that uninsured and underinsured Americans could get healthcare. Imagine if that political party screamed about no one caring if Grandma dies because doctors have to make difficult decisions and ration care (as I believe Twice Horn(?)  pointed out, this has been ongoing w/respect to care anyway). Imagine if that same party now has a system where Joe in Kentucky who works with a hundred other Joes just like him cannot get a test despite his fever and cough but Lindsey Graham who shook hands with someone who tested positive gets fast tracked. Joe ain't going to fill out some form on his phone, Joe is going to go home (if work is cancelled) and be sick until everyone in his family is sick.

Honeyvirus don't care about your party, it joins them all. But it sure isn't funny about how the GOP picks winners and losers. Joe better wise up.

58 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

My wife's 80yr old grandmother was sharing this shit and saying it's veracity just a couple days ago. She's a smart woman, but drinks deep from the fox news fountain and believes state tv over medical experts.

Fuck so many old people are putting themselves at risk for no reason but to own the libs. 

Does not compute.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk