CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.

Time to talk to the daughter about plans to repatriate.  Doesn't mean anything to her right now -- she'll be coming FROM Canada, not to it.  The open question will remain the US border, and whether they will allow citizens to repatriate.

I think I'm going to have to tell her to pack her stuff and get it ready to put in storage downstairs quickly, as she may need to hop on a flight with about a day's notice.

Fuck.  Fucking fuck.  Shit.

Brisket, you're well traveled and understand the world outside the U.S. isn't a horrible place. Just my 2 cents, but I'd get her on a plane, sooner than later. I wouldn't be surprised if all air travel is shut down in the next few days. 

35 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

always a cunt

Cuomo and DeBlasio should pull the NYPD security from around Trump Tower and then use emergency executive powers to acquire its lobby for emergency triage.  They should have done the former during the sanctuary city/fed LE funding bullshit.  If Trump wants states to go it alone then what is the point of getting on a conference call with him in the first place?  Its a hard enough issue to deal with even before useless people like Trump make the process even more difficult. 

People like Trump are exactly why I don't support Bernie and @bad_teammate 's jobs guarantee. You are better off paying useless people not to work if all they do is make everyone else's job more difficult. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Cuomo and DeBlasio should pull the NYPD security from around Trump Tower and then use emergency executive powers to acquire its lobby for emergency triage.  They should have done the former during the sanctuary city/fed LE funding bullshit.  If Trump wants states to go it alone then what is the point of getting on a conference call with him in the first place?  Its a hard enough issue to deal with even before useless people like Trump make the process even more difficult. 

People like Trump are exactly why I don't support Bernie and @bad_teammate 's jobs guarantee. You are better off paying useless people not to work if all they do is make everyone else's job more difficult. 

I think you have a rogue "don't" in there. Or you contradicted yourself in the last two sentences

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can't do it--Contracts Clause.

I respectfully disagree with you. 

Some may want to reanimate the Contracts Clause, but it is settled Supreme Court precedent since Blaisdell and United States Trust Co., which established the three-part test that is followed today - as was reaffirmed in Energy Reserves Group, Inc. v. Kansas Power and Light Co. in 1983. The most important element is emergency use of the state's power in situations like this one. 

Edited by washparkhorn

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think you have a rogue "don't" in there. Or you contradicted yourself in the last two sentences

Its accurate. I don't support a jobs guarantee. I support basic income instead. Toxic workers like Trump are exactly why Id rather pay some people to stay home.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its accurate. I don't support a jobs guarantee. I support basic income instead. Toxic workers like Trump are exactly why Id rather pay some people to stay home.

ah, gotcha. That distinction wasn't making itself obvious. Thanks for the clarification.

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Canadian press is PISSED that Trudeau did not keep Americans out of the US. Canadian officials are saying they have to keep the border open to Americans because Canadians need food from the US.  

We are becoming a pariah state. 

psst, we already were

Why don't we get down to brass tacks here?  What is going to kill more people in the world?  What is going to kill more people in America?  Coronavirus or the two year world wide economic recession that is going to be the end result of this ridiculous overreaction by everyone but in particular by the media?  After listening to the local restaurant owner I ate lunch at today I feel sorry for anyone in the restaurant business because you are fucked if our idiotic governors across the country keep insisting on closing everyone down.   The long term economic effects of this are going to hurt and in some cases kill way more people than this disease itself will.   If the restaurants in your area are still open go out and support them.  They are going to need every penny you can give them.  You don't have to shake hands with anyone.  Don't go if you are coughing and running a fever.  Use common sense but don't treat them like lepers.  Same speech with any other small business you can possibly do business with during this.  Also I am still waiting to overhear the first conversation about this anywhere I've gone in the last several days where any party in the conversation agrees with the intensity of the reaction and responses by any government officials be it federal, state, or local and this is literally the only subject of conversation that exists now a days.

• Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

States should not be looking to Washington DC for help. DC is broken. Cuomo of NY said the USG should mobilize federal armed force and the corp of engineers yesterday. Today, the DoD said they have no requests and using military doctors would remove them from local communities. 

If your governor is not securing vents and hospital bed capacity, you are well behind the curve. 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

We are going to get locked down nationwide within the next few days 

step brothers yep GIF

The idiots bitching about freedoms wouldn't have to worry about it if they all did the right thing and self isolated with proper social distancing during a global pandemic. We're going to have to be restricted because these idiots are too stupid to properly handle themselves in this society. 

• Like 2

People on the Trump board is thinking he's going to use martial law, but also Trumpkins are not wanting thier freedoms taken away. This is a weird conundrum.

They'd all have raging erections to live in martial law under Trump.

It's interesting that their "best case" scenario is the burn fast and bright scenario. Their "best case" is the option where lots of people die really quickly and the market recovers.
Shows you where their heads are at.

Yep. The Goldman Sachs approach.

That will be all over campaign ads if Democrats have any balls (they don't, as evidenced by corporate sellout in relief bill). Incredible abdication of leadership. What an incredibly small man.

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Ohio governor going to court to make the DNC postpone the upcoming primary. First pre-shock of delaying the general in November. If shit hasn't smoothed over by then, it's 100% going to happen.

Didn't they have a court case regarding voter suppression? Why don't they have an absentee primary?

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

[hands on hips with head tilted sideways, smiling]  Welp, guys.  That's our Gohmert!  [studio audience laugh track]

But the important lesson here is that we still love ol' grumpy grumperton for who he is.  [studio audience warm moment:  Aaaaaahhhhhhhh]

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Ohio governor going to court to make the DNC postpone the upcoming primary. First pre-shock of delaying the general in November. If shit hasn't smoothed over by then, it's 100% going to happen.

They can delay it all they want.

Donald Trump's term as president ends January 20, 2021 according to the Constitution. They'll have to figure out a way to apportion electoral votes for his re-election or his replacement some time before that date.

Ok I hate to say this, but you know what would really, really help right now?  For a young instagram influencer to get sick and rapidly die.  Simply because unfortunately young people are geared to believe they are invincible.  When driving you can tell them to "be careful" "slow down" etc., but until somebody they know or can relate to gets killed it sort of goes in one ear, and out the other.

I don't wish for this to happen, but if it did happen and young people got nervous then we might be able to slow the spread a bit more. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They can delay it all they want.

Donald Trump's term as president ends January 20, 2021 according to the Constitution. They'll have to figure out a way to apportion electoral votes for his re-election or his replacement some time before that date.

Won't the House then pick the President? 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Down down 400 more points since he started talking.  It was already down 2200 on the day.

Holy shit - not sure how many days we'll see where the market finishes down a Trump and a quarter.  Definitely need to get the chart for today signed by Dotard ...

Quick google found this article. I don't think there is any practical way to delay a federal election. It would require an act of both houses of congress and signed by the president (he'd likely never sign it unless it made him supreme commander for life). The constitution requires swearing in of new officers by January of the following year. That would require a constitutional amendment. I think they will enact voting by mail protocols, and long term will stay in effect increasing voter participation. Repubs won't like it but it may be necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/politics/election-postponed-canceled.html

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk