CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It feels like we are in Bastogne and Lt. Dike is in charge.  He needs to be relieved and have Speirs take over.

I've had this thought in my mind on repeat for days now.

But we have no Captain Winters to save us.  We're stuck with Dike.  Lots of people are going to die.  No hope for Spiers until January 20th....if we make it as a society that long.

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We had a presidential election in 1864. We had federal elections in 1918 around the peak of the deadliest wave of the Spanish Flu. We had them through the depression and WWII. We'll have one in 2020.

The GOP will absolutely try to get it postponed, but it won't happen.

Of all the things to risk getting Covid19 and possibly risking your life for... voting is one of them. I’ll take the chance. Sorry. It’s that important.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Wall street's vote of no-confidence in our President.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-16-at-2-35-09-PM.png

It’s the Trump Crash.  That shit needs to be all over Twitter.  Every WH correspondent who asks Trump or his lackeys about the economy needs to use those exact words: “What is the administration doing to address the Trump Crash in the market?”  “Will the Fed be taking any action to stop the Trump Crash?”  “Why haven’t you been able to reassure investors to slow down the Trump Crash, Mr President?”

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 5

Just now, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

When Trump says his administration's response so far to the CV pandemic has been a ten, he's saying this is the best we can do. This is as good as it gets.

I think this is accurate.  They are truly inept.  It's not that they aren't trying.  They are just fucking morons.

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

When Trump says his administration's response so far to the CV pandemic has been a ten, he's saying this is the best we can do. This is as good as it gets.

I guess no one thought to look at the scale and realize that we are grading out of a 100.

So yes. I think 10/100 is about right

• Like 1

HOLY SHIT!  Only 200 total tests run so far in Texas!!!! Gross, Gross incompetence from the top. 

Of the 200 tested 57 tested positive, with 300 more are currently testing.  We are the second largest state by population in the country and we have tested 200 fucking people.  You almost have to work at it to be the damn stupid.  This is coming from Greg Abbot so I assume the real number tested is like 261 and they just rounded up to 300... in support of the President.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So you're fine with a jobs guarantee for everyone but Donald Trump?

I'll accept that.

It's just those calipers in your back pocket that are making me nervous.

No, I'm against a jobs guarantee for anyone.  Basic income is a much better idea because we don't need to make up bullshit jobs for people to do.  And we don't need to bring those same people into workplaces where they can be disruptive to the people who were hired to do necessary productive work.

I think Trump needs to be removed from his job even though he was hired to do that job without a guarantee.  But he is a good example of why we don't need to bring toxic and/or incompetent people into workplaces just so they can have a "job."

Also, I don't get why you are against artists and entrepreneurs.  Why should the next Van Gogh have to grind it out at one of your shit guaranteed jobs instead of having basic income that allows him to focus on his art?  Why should someone with a great idea for a small business that needs a year or two to be successful have to grind it out at one of your guaranteed jobs instead?  Guaranteed jobs does everything you hate about employer based health insurance.  It captures the employee and prevents them from other potentially more productive endeavors.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No, I'm against a jobs guarantee for anyone.  Basic income is a much better idea because we don't need to make up bullshit jobs for people to do.  And we don't need to bring those same people into workplaces where they can be disruptive to the people who were hired to do necessary productive work.

How would that even be determined? What does this even mean? Are you saying that jobless people are jobless because they're "useless people"?

We have a shitload of stuff that needs to be done that isn't being done right now.

Also, I don't get why you are against artists and entrepreneurs.  Why should the next Van Gogh have to grind it out at one of your shit guaranteed jobs instead of having basic income that allows him to focus on his art?  Why should someone with a great idea for a small business that needs a year or two to be successful have to grind it out at one of your guaranteed jobs instead?  Guaranteed jobs does everything you hate about employer based health insurance.  It captures the employee and prevents them from other potentially more productive endeavors.

Do you know what the word "guaranteed" means. You seem to think it means "forced conscription". Fucking weird.

Off topic slightly, but I tune in to right wing radio in Dallas from time to time just to to check their pulse.

Not only are they praising Trump and his handling up and down, they are actually trying to float the theory that Biden and other Democrats colluded with China to release the virus to bring down Trump.  They have referred to the virus as a scam and a scandal.

It is truly a nonsensical bizzaro world listening to them 

57 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think this is accurate.  They are truly inept.  It's not that they aren't trying.  They are just fucking morons.

The great irony is that state and local government, along with individuals, are taking the lead in terms of proper response.  In the end, if the outbreak is blunted anywhere below the worst case scenario, Trump will take the credit.

2 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Off topic slightly, but I tune in to right wing radio in Dallas from time to time just to to check their pulse.

Not only are they praising Trump and his handling up and down, they are actually trying to float the theory that Biden and other Democrats colluded with China to release the virus to bring down Trump.  They have referred to the virus as a scam and a scandal.

It is truly a nonsensical bizzaro world listening to them 

I posted that I was seeing this several days ago.  It's the new angle.  No shame in the sudden shift from "it's a hoax", either.  Reality is what they tell themselves reality is.

Has anyone posted the San Francisco stuff in the past hour? Six Bay Area counties are instigating shelter in place. 7 million people can leave home only for essentials until April 7. Essential businesses like docs and grocery stores stay open. 

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

How would that even be determined? What does this even mean? Are you saying that jobless people are jobless because they're "useless people"?

We have a shitload of stuff that needs to be done that isn't being done right now.

Do you know what the word "guaranteed" means. You seem to think it means "forced conscription". Fucking weird.

Yeah it means that if someone wants a job, they go to the "job god", and he has to make one up for them to do.  But it also means that in lieu of basic income, the artist and the potential entrepreneur are going to have to go to the "job god" for a job instead of being able to start their own businesses.  So it is exactly "forced conscription".  Its welfare with strings attached. Something I believe you have claimed to be against.

So in reality, your "jobs guarantee" is going to be tied to a public works program, the artist is going to go to the "job god" and ask him if he can work as an artist.  The "job god" is going to say no, federal arts grants have been exhausted this year, but I do need 10,000 people to rebuild bridges and put up new solar arrays. 

And yeah, we have a shitload of specific stuff that needs to be done.  But you fail to admit is that it is specific, and you hope to man these specific jobs primarily with urban college educated millennials who don't want blue collar work, and small town blue collar workers who refuse to move for work.  So I'd love for a "jobs program" that got to work on building things like the new Hudson River rail crossing, but not a single Bernie Bro in NYC is going to take one of those jobs and none of the WV coal miners are going to move to NYC to take one either.  So we have to wait on local union workers to have the bandwidth for the new project, or we import workers from Mexico.  Bernie Bros are still going to bitch that they need guaranteed jobs.

I'd rather pay the Bernie bros basic income.  They can start an artisanal ice business or hustle to turn their "gig" business into something special.  Why make them go build a tunnel when they don't want to?  Same goes for the WV coal miner.  With basic income, they can start a local small business.  Over time, maybe their town becomes an okay place to live again.

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

My mom has the flu in Dallas. No corona testing available at her doctor. Doc just said chances are you dont have it. Just go home and try not to leave the house.

America! Fuck yeah!

• Like 1

HOLY SHIT!  Only 200 total tests run so far in Texas!!!! Gross, Gross incompetence from the top. 

Of the 200 tested 57 tested positive, with 300 more are currently testing.  We are the second largest state by population in the country and we have tested 200 fucking people.  You almost have to work at it to be the damn stupid.  This is coming from Greg Abbot so I assume the real number tested is like 261 and they just rounded up to 300... in support of the President.

Holy fuck. I’m pissed we are only at 140 in Idaho, but 200 in Texas is a big fucking misstep.

Harris county showing real leadership. Abbott is spinning his fucking wheels. Mrs. Ghost works for DSHS and they're still waiting for him to give the go ahead to activate emergency plans. Only he can, and as a result offices across the state aren't working in unison. Texas still doesn't have a defined COVID-19 response plan so they're cutting and pasting a beautifully prepared plan from New Mexico, one of the poorest states in the entire union. Way to go, Texas.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

My mom has the flu in Dallas. No corona testing available at her doctor. Doc just said chances are you dont have it. Just go home and try not to leave the house.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . did he test her for the flu?

Those remote testing sites that VP Pence was talking about are a figment of his imagination, or more likely, with the help of the AMA he has arranged a pre-screening service for his next remote hookup.

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Harris county showing real leadership. Abbott is spinning his fucking wheels. Mrs. Ghost works for DSHS and they're still waiting for him to give the go ahead to activate emergency plans. Only he can, and as a result offices across the state aren't working in unison. Texas still doesn't have a defined COVID-19 response plan so they're cutting and pasting a beautifully prepared plan from New Mexico, one of the poorest states in the entire union. Way to go, Texas.

Niiice

Why don't we get down to brass tacks here?  What is going to kill more people in the world?  What is going to kill more people in America?  Coronavirus or the two year world wide economic recession that is going to be the end result of this ridiculous overreaction by everyone but in particular by the media?  After listening to the local restaurant owner I ate lunch at today I feel sorry for anyone in the restaurant business because you are fucked if our idiotic governors across the country keep insisting on closing everyone down.   The long term economic effects of this are going to hurt and in some cases kill way more people than this disease itself will.   If the restaurants in your area are still open go out and support them.  They are going to need every penny you can give them.  You don't have to shake hands with anyone.  Don't go if you are coughing and running a fever.  Use common sense but don't treat them like lepers.  Same speech with any other small business you can possibly do business with during this.  Also I am still waiting to overhear the first conversation about this anywhere I've gone in the last several days where any party in the conversation agrees with the intensity of the reaction and responses by any government officials be it federal, state, or local and this is literally the only subject of conversation that exists now a days.

So the position you are advocating is that the entire world has over-reacted to this. Bold strategy to argue that you are smarter than just about every single well-respected political leader in the world. You might want to spend a minute or two to reflect upon your worldview and the sources of information you rely upon to form your views. And oh by the way, Trump now says the virus is out of control, a complete 180 from what he said just three days ago. You are demonstrating an incredible lack of intelligence right now.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk