CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

image.png.30469a4cb1a590eab9688a0a2bb66cae.png

These fucking fucks would get a timeout from Surly for this level of trolling lol. Really owning the libz as our state goes even further into COVID deaths. 

"cry more."

This is literally the entirety of the GQP platform.  It is a fucking party of pure nihilism.

And a solid majority of Texans love it.   We are governed by fucking toddlers.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

14-year-old? I can think of multiple reasons to make it ride in the trunk.

I had kinda forgotten that when I was 17, my buddy and I rode around Columbus, GA in the trunk of his friends dads old Mercedes.  With trumpets (well cornets really).  We’d hold the lid closed, and when we stopped at lights we’d open it up and start serenading the cars behind us.  Loudly.  Did I mention we were drunk/stoned?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I had kinda forgotten that when I was 17, my buddy and I rode around Columbus, GA in the trunk of his friends dads old Mercedes.  With trumpets (well cornets really).  We’d hold the lid closed, and when we stopped at lights we’d open it up and start serenading the cars behind us.  Loudly.  Did I mention we were drunk/stoned?

When I was a fat white little baby in legally segregated Columbus GA, my mom hired a teenaged Black girl to babysit me. Turns out that girl believed in adventure, because as soon as my mom left the girl would snatch me up and we'd ride the buses all over town, probably went to all the white stores too because I was the entry pass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I was a fat white little baby in legally segregated Columbus GA, my mom hired a teenaged Black girl to babysit me. Turns out that girl believed in adventure, because as soon as my mom left the girl would snatch me up and we'd ride the buses all over town, probably went to all the white stores too because I was the entry pass.

“You gotta hold that honky baby’s barcode the right side up for it to scan, hon”

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

On 1/5/2022 at 10:39 AM, Neonmoon said:

I've seen the pearl clutching from many parents on school closures, but are there any studies on the negative effects? The resident it's a flu contingent push this narrative. I'm sure there are consequences, but do we really know anything at this point? If home schooling is so bad, why is it allowed? I guess there might be a difference between home schooling and virtual schooling. I don't know. 

Yeah, I get that it is a short-term shit sandwich for kids and their parents, absolutely.

But all of this freakout about long-term consequences I don't know about.  Kids spending all their time at school is a relatively new phenomenon and we managed not to raise millions of psychos for centuries.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No sure if that is embedding or not, but here is the thrust of it.

FIhtFmPXsAEvCMc?format=jpg&name=large

How does that compare with other states?  I see that in New York City, more % people get admitted to the hospital for shit other than Covid.  I guess...prima facie that makes sense since there's lots more shit to get hospitalized for in NYC than in Upstate---violent crime, drug OD, traffic accidents, subway malaria, tourists getting hurt, food poisoning from the many rat-owned Sbarro's in the area, etc.  Makes sense Western New York has a very high clip of hospitlizations due to Covid.  Were I living in/around Buffalo, I would get Covid on purpose as fast as I could to get the fuck outta that place.  

You're an expert in this stuff, what are we really looking at here because unless you can break down Staten Island and half of Queens for me...I don't think this paints a full picture.  

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I get that it is a short-term shit sandwich for kids and their parents, absolutely.

But all of this freakout about long-term consequences I don't know about.  Kids spending all their time at school is a relatively new phenomenon and we managed not to raise millions of psychos for centuries.

I’d be willing to bet you don’t have small kids. The only people I’ve seen downplay the effects of school closures and remote learning are people without kids that had to do it. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How does that compare with other states?  I see that in New York City, more % people get admitted to the hospital for shit other than Covid.  I guess...prima facie that makes sense since there's lots more shit to get hospitalized for in NYC than in Upstate---violent crime, drug OD, traffic accidents, subway malaria, tourists getting hurt, food poisoning from the many rat-owned Sbarro's in the area, etc.  Makes sense Western New York has a very high clip of hospitlizations due to Covid.  Were I living in/around Buffalo, I would get Covid on purpose as fast as I could to get the fuck outta that place.  

You're an expert in this stuff, what are we really looking at here because unless you can break down Staten Island and half of Queens for me...I don't think this paints a full picture.  

NYC is also much more vaccinated than the rest of the state. 

My family all had the sniffles over the holidays with minor cough within a few days of each other. The wife and I took two rapid tests before we saw family and they both came back negative. Just swabbing the nose though. 

My old man got symptoms and took rapid with a negative result but also got PCR, because he is retired and doesn’t have anything else to do, and it came back positive. I guess maybe we had the Omicron. 

The first person in my family to have symptoms was the 11 month old. What in the heck was he up to?!?

Good point I forgot to mention.  I'm sure there's something in there I can't see and I know the geography of the state pretty well from having multiple freight terminals there.  But as far as demography plus epidemiology, I'll leave it to Anastasis to tell us what we're looking at here.  As I said, on the face of it, it appears as if people living in a massive city go to the hospital for varying reasons.  

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Is this the total (11,548) who are admitted who actually have COVID, but of that, only 57% were admitted for COVID.  COVID was just incidental.

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

First time I have seen those data with that kind of detail and geographic breakdown.  Lobo's interpretation around urban/rural makes some sense.  I think that the take away here from my perspective is that anywhere from 20-50% of admissions in NY state may not be directly related to COVID. I am trying to find an explanation of the methods, but if you are looking for silver linings, maybe a signal of severity? At the end of the day if the ICU is full, the ICU is full and COVID contributing to that is a big problem.  And even incidental COVID woudl seem to complicate the admission...

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

First time I have seen those data with that kind of detail and geographic breakdown.  Lobo's interpretation around urban/rural makes some sense.  I think that the take away here from my perspective is that anywhere from 20-50% of admissions in NY state may not be directly related to COVID. I am trying to find an explanation of the methods, but if you are looking for silver linings, maybe a signal of severity? At the end of the day if the ICU is full, the ICU is full and COVID contributing to that is a big problem.  And even incidental COVID woudl seem to complicate the admission...

New York decided to start looking in detail at the numbers.  The Governor started it.  It makes sense.  A lot of people are in the hospital with other things.  Covid is incidental.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New York decided to start looking in detail at the numbers.  The Governor started it.  It makes sense.  A lot of people are in the hospital with other things.  Covid is incidental.

Yeah, this is the only source I can find for the data and they don't get into the details: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-updates-new-yorkers-states-progress-combating-covid-19-131

Below is data that shows how many hospitalized individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 were admitted for COVID-19/COVID-19 complications and how many were admitted for non-COVID-19 conditions:

But that they are including complications at least suggests that they are throwing out a broad net to capture the COVID-related admissions and not just drawing a very narrow definition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The mask vs no mask debate seems irrelevant at this point. I don't wear one unless I'm at a business that requires one but I'm a huge believer in the science of the vaccine. At some point we need to acknowledge that the pandemic is over and the real crisis is people dying from misinformation. 

23 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The mask vs no mask debate seems irrelevant at this point. I don't wear one unless I'm at a business that requires one but I'm a huge believer in the science of the vaccine. At some point we need to acknowledge that the pandemic is over and the real crisis is people dying from misinformation. 

Pandemic is not over.  It is ongoing because of misinformation campaigns and morons.   I wear my mask because I do not want to be responsible for harming others.  I also want to protect my family and we are all fortunate enough to be vaccinated, however we can still catch the motherfucker and spread it to people who cannot get vaccinated.   I am not sure what a huge believer is.   Is that a 400 lb Baptist?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lol 

IMG_9327.png

This isn't funny because it isn't true.  If someone had AIDS/HIV and with their weakened immune system died from the common cold, then we wouldn't attribute the death to the cold, but to the disease, or if I pushed you off a building we wouldn't attribute the death to the differential elasticity between the human body and the concrete at variable velocity but rather to me, the asshole who pushed you off.   This isn't fucking hard to understand.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Pandemic is not over.  It is ongoing because of misinformation campaigns and morons.   I wear my mask because I do not want to be responsible for harming others.  I also want to protect my family and we are all fortunate enough to be vaccinated, however we can still catch the motherfucker and spread it to people who cannot get vaccinated.   I am not sure what a huge believer is.   Is that a 400 lb Baptist?

Lots of contraindications for vaccines that prevent a wide range of illnesses. I expect you to be wearing a mask for the rest of your life. Nothing wrong with that. But we've been in the condition of being able to spread deadly illnesses despite vaccination to patients with contraindications since I've been born. COVID hasn't changed the rules but has made the game deadlier. 

43 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

You sound like someone upset they couldn't start a bonfire in Bastrop in 2011. The crisis isn't over, were likely to hit peak cases sometime next week, and facemasks measurably reduce the spread of COVID.

But you're right, less people will be hurt if we all just throw caution to the wind right? We Americans are fantastic at looking out for one another and doing our part

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You sound like someone upset they couldn't start a bonfire in Bastrop in 2011. The crisis isn't over, were likely to hit peak cases sometime next week, and facemasks measurably reduce the spread of COVID.

But you're right, less people will be hurt if we all just throw caution to the wind right? We Americans are fantastic at looking out for one another and doing our part

Greatest generation part 2.  making sacrifices in their comfort and luxury for the effort of their fellow man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Lots of contraindications for vaccines that prevent a wide range of illnesses. I expect you to be wearing a mask for the rest of your life. Nothing wrong with that. But we've been in the condition of being able to spread deadly illnesses despite vaccination to patients with contraindications since I've been born. COVID hasn't changed the rules but has made the game deadlier. 

Vaccines have allowed us to help those with contraindications.  That is was herd immunity was all about, that is why pertussis was an afterthought and why it is important to keep wearing masks, using sanitizer and get vaccinated.   This isn't a game.   

I don't mind wearing a mask.   It helps to keep people from fawning over my good looks and allows people to talk to me as a person. I will be happy when this is over, and it will eventually fade into the noise just like all other previous pandemics.   But we are not there yet, and it is due to people who are 'tired' of wearing masks and people who are 'tired' of being a parent, and people who are too smart to believe the librul mediyah.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We have a vaccine and it does a damn good job. You don't have to get it despite all of the evidence in NEJM and anecdotes from your local health system that it's saving lives. But don't act like the mask debate is legitimate while we have something proven on the market. I trust the vaccine. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Freestanding ERs in Austin running a testing scam. I have no idea why someone would go to one fo these places to get tested, but fuck them generally. 

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/austin-couple-responsible-for-3973-after-covid-tests/amp/

Wow it's almost like our predatory healthcare system is built to enable scams like this thanks to the opaqueness of pricing and the scarcity of service. Ah, well, nevertheless.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Freestanding ERs in Austin running a testing scam. I have no idea why someone would go to one fo these places to get tested, but fuck them generally. 

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/austin-couple-responsible-for-3973-after-covid-tests/amp/

reminds me of an NPR segment:

The patient: Travis Warner, 36, is self-employed and bought his health plan from Molina Healthcare via HealthCare.gov.

Medical service: Two "COVID tests" for the coronavirus — a diagnostic PCR test, which typically takes a few days to process and is quite accurate, and a rapid antigen test, which is less accurate but produces results in minutes.

Total bill: $56,384, including $54,000 for the PCR test and the balance for the antigen test and an ER facility fee. Molina's negotiated rate for both tests and the facility fee totaled $16,915.20, which the insurer paid in full.

Service provider: SignatureCare Emergency Center in Lewisville, one of more than a dozen free-standing ERs the company owns across Texas.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/09/30/1039788368/covid-test-high-bill-er

We have a vaccine and it does a damn good job. You don't have to get it despite all of the evidence in NEJM and anecdotes from your local health system that it's saving lives. But don't act like the mask debate is legitimate while we have something proven on the market. I trust the vaccine. 
"Mask debate"

This fucking guy.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Uh, asking for a friend...what if you didn't use the swab on your nose or your throat.  Or your ears.  but somewhere else altogether.  And came up negative?  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Uh, asking for a friend...what if you didn't use the swab on your nose or your throat.  Or your ears.  but somewhere else altogether.  And came up negative?  

Fecal testing is fairly sensitive. If you are in to that kind of thing.