Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

20 year-old kids are free to explore their thoughts on the world they live in, in fact it's an expected part of the growing up process.  But doing it publicly on Twitter is a bad look.

And, make no mistake, the slavery comparisons are 100% fucking moronic.

Eh I don't think they are meant to be taken literally. But then I am not quite sure how it is to be taken.

I am certainly not going to tell somebody else how they should think or feel about their own lives, even if I don't find it particularly convincing. Is it just a matter of wanting players to get paid? I don't know. I also do not care all that much. So there is that.

I'm kind of indifferent to JH's poem. On one hand he's getting free room and board, living expenses, and a degree from the greatest university in the world so I don't see how he's being exploited or being "treated like a slave" but then again his life experience growing up may be shaping his mindset and if you didn't experience it growing up then you don't know what it's like. If it helps him get named to the Academic All-Big 12 Team then more power to him.

• Like 3

This reminds me of other forms of corporate stupidity. I once sat in an hour meeting in a fortune 50 organization while the marketing department talked about a 6 month project that concluded in changing the font ever so slightly for the corporate logo. How it conveyed this and that. I walked out marveling at the minutia that justifies these dipshits being on staff.
/end rant

A shit ton of money is at stake for those companies. One fuck up of a logo or anything like that could mean millions lost.

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm kind of indifferent to JH's poem. On one hand he's getting free room and board, living expenses, and a degree from the greatest university in the world so I don't see how he's being exploited or being "treated like a slave" but then again his life experience growing up may be shaping his mindset and if you didn't experience it growing up then you don't know what it's like. If it helps him get named to the Academic All-Big 12 Team then more power to him.

He went to Carroll high school in south lake. So, not from some dirt poor inner city or rural town. But, likely a fairly monochromatic town with enough good OL boys to make a black kid and family feel a little different.  Plus what he sees and reads. 

But his perspective is his own, and sharing it with others is not a big deal. It’s a dynamic thing. 

2 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Amazing that some people can get so worked up over a poem written by one of our players for a class requirement. Whether you agree with LJH's take or not, at least he is attending class and completing the assignment. CDC was right to support him. 

Not just CDC, Herman too. There's full alignment here.

What did you think of (junior WR) Lil’Jordan Humphrey’s poem? 

“I was proud of him. I was proud of him for expressing his feelings. I spoke to him. It was an assignment for an American Literature class, to which he was assigned to write something about your feelings. He wrote it and felt like he wanted to post and share it. I support him. That’s the beauty of social media.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Amazing that some people can get so worked up over a poem written by one of our players for a class requirement. Whether you agree with LJH's take or not, at least he is attending class and completing the assignment. CDC was right to support him. 

I don't think anybody has a problem with him doing his homework.  But it's a little silly to believe that his decision to squawk it out over social media won't cause some consternation given the stupid comparison of his "plight" to slavery.

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

A shit ton of money is at stake for those companies. One fuck up of a logo or anything like that could mean millions lost.

Trust me, I get it. It is just funny to see the level of systemic overthinking of simple things. Outside of Comic Sans (Hi Jade!), not once have I ever decided not to buy a product based on the font in their logo. Same goes for our jerseys. Nike has done continual tweaks to our color over the years for really no reason and it just ends up fucking things up for the sake of "change". 

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Trust me, I get it. It is just funny to see the level of systemic overthinking of simple things. Outside of Comic Sans (Hi Jade!), not once have I ever decided not to buy a product based on the font in their logo. Same goes for our jerseys. Nike has done continual tweaks to our color over the years for really no reason and it just ends up fucking things up for the sake of "change". 

Wait - are you saying that fonts are more important than colors? Do we need a new font for TEXAS on the uni?

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What did you think of (junior WR) Lil’Jordan Humphrey’s poem? 

“I was proud of him. I was proud of him for expressing his feelings. I spoke to him. It was an assignment for an American Literature class, to which he was assigned to write something about your feelings. He wrote it and felt like he wanted to post and share it. I support him. That’s the beauty of social media.”

Was proud of him? OMG! Herman has either kicked him off the team or used his staff connection to have him murdered by Art Briles' Baylor players and buried in the desert.

This is going to kill recruiting! 

Fire everybody. Fire Giles twice!

GET SABAN here ASAP!

For anybody else late to the Lil Jordan Poetry conversations, here is a link.

I'll go along with CDC and Herman. It's not good poetry, but good for him for giving it a shot. You only become good at something by being bad at it for awhile. 

On the subject of the poem, he comes close to articulating the interesting irony of doing something you love which also allows you the perspective of still seeing similarities to the worst days for black people. Even in this greatly improved life, there are ominous forces at work to promote hate and keep blacks separate.

The irony is that when players reach college, the game becomes increasingly less like a game. You work your ass off doing hard work to get the payoff of a degree or, if excellent, a spot on a pro team. There you are traded and discarded like meat which does echo of slavery even if it is clearly not slavery.

You get plenty of money and can leave whenever you want. There's nothing wrong with how the NFL works, but it's ironic that the system has resemblance to the functions of slavery. 

The NFL (or NCAA) is no more slavery than football is war, but football feels like war with (almost) nobody getting killed. A footballer lives something like a soldier, but few would claim they have the experience or pay the costs of a true combat soldier.

LJH did fine. I hope he keeps thinking and keeps finding ways to illuminate what he thinks about. A critical mind is a terrible thing to waste.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't think anybody has a problem with him doing his homework.  But it's a little silly to believe that his decision to squawk it out over social media won't cause some consternation given the stupid comparison of his "plight" to slavery.

"Kids, are you noticing all this plight?" 

Does anyone think that CDC would approve something like this..?

gettyimages-481503383-e1529864660545.jpg
Getty Images UNLV bringing all-you-can-eat ticket packages to college football

By Zach BarnettJun 24, 2018, 4:30 PM EDT It’s a tremendous challenge getting fans to come out to the stadium these days. When (nearly) every game is on TV, why go to the stadium when you have to miss out on the six other games on TV plus you have to deal with spotty in-stadium plus having to fight through traffic and parking and obnoxious fans to your left and right — and, oh yeah, you still have to pay for your tickets and concessions on top of all that.

UNLV has now eliminated one of those objections.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/24/unlv-bringing-all-you-can-eat-ticket-packages-to-college-football/

On 7/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, Lhorn said:

I love how the difference between the uniforms that we want and the uniforms that we have, yet hate is pretty minuscule (compared to the uniform changes other teams undergo literally from game to game).  This is Texas. There’s only one way to do it, the right way. 

Wonder what would happen if CDC came in and announced diamond plate, matte black helmets, oversized cartoon Bevo on the helmets and other such nonsense?  

But yeah, it bottles the mind.  Uniform guys got one job, get the color right. 

Diamond plate,  matte black helmets,  and oversized Bevo on the helmets would would be great with orange pants. 

• Like 1

Interesting, if perhaps obvious, note about accountability from Super K at The Football Braniacs:

So What Happens if Texas Doesn’t Win? | Sourced Note

I recently spoke to someone with knowledge of how Texas athletic director, Chris Del Conte operates. As you all know, Del Conte was previously the athletic director at TCU. He oversaw a lot of football success there with coach Gary Patterson steering the ship.

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

TCU went 12-1 the next year with a dominating win in the Peach Bowl.

My source didn’t comment on what degree Del Conte had to push coach Patterson to make those changes but I certainly got the impression that no amount of reluctance was going to matter. Del Conte was going to insist upon those changes.

He also said in no uncertain terms that based on his knowledge of how Del Conte operates, if Texas doesn’t win this year, there will absolutely be changes made…willingly or otherwise.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:05 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Good God.  Overreact much? If you are going to quit on the Horns over something so trivial, good riddance.  You were a pussy fan to begin with.

Not to mention letting politics transcend football or sports.  Fuuuuck.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, Red Five said:

If I were to rank the problems with what our home games have become, the cost of hot dogs would probably land somewhere around number one million.

I ranked the top 50 problems a while ago, if you want to add to it.