Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

On 3/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, mchookem said:

my mate is going on a fishing trip this week... so i just got a ticket to see it again in IMAX friday, oh yeah!

trying to remember the last movie i saw more than once in a theater...i think it might have been Heat 🤔 

i mean this is just a fucking fantastic movie. just wow.

the music is worthy of another Oscar. i bet this thing sweeps awards next year. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/15/2024 at 1:13 PM, DCLonghorn said:

was absolutely shocked to learn that there are now over 20 Dune books. The son and Kevin Anderson (wrote some popular Star Wars novels) have been prolific. 

His son wanted to squeeze money out of it and it shows. Wouldn’t read past the FH ones. 

His son wanted to squeeze money out of it and it shows. Wouldn’t read past the FH ones. 

Is the seventh one any good? I read that Herbert’s kid and another guy wrote it off Herbert’s notes/plans after he’d died.

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve been instructed to stop reading after God Emperor. 

DV is wise to stop after Messiah. Shit gets weird. 

Messiah is already weird. I’m not sure how you make it a movie but I believe in DV

We watched part one last night for the first time and part two today. The definition of a cinematic experience. Epic.

My gal is very disinterested in sci-fi ... I could list the famous sci-fi movies she hasn't seen, but we'd be here all day.

But she absolutely loved Dune and is already upset at having to wait for the next installments.

21 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Is the seventh one any good? I read that Herbert’s kid and another guy wrote it off Herbert’s notes/plans after he’d died.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve been instructed to stop reading after God Emperor. 

DV is wise to stop after Messiah. Shit gets weird. 

I disagree. I’ve read all the sequels, and like any large book series there are some that aren’t great, but overall they were very good. I liked most of them more than God Emperor, personally 

On 3/4/2024 at 9:01 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Is that where the seats rumble and turn ? Haha. Bruh. That’s hilarious. 

i did that with 7 rings and and it was 3D too.  So it was hella annoying… we ended up leaving. Big mistake doing that screening 

On 3/4/2024 at 9:54 PM, Zepol87 said:

Yes it was like a god damn rollercoaster. Never again

The only time I enjoyed that was with Tron Legacy.  It was fucking perfect during the light cycle sequence.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Messiah is already weird. I’m not sure how you make it a movie but I believe in DV

Haven't read Messiah, but honestly was fairly bored in the Dune 2 until shit got weird.  Bring on the weird.

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy
Cuzco dum

4 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Haven't read Messiah, but honestly was fairly bored in the Dune 2 until shit got weird.  Bring on the weird.

By the time they get to book 6, the series will have gone PLAID - straight past ludicrous 

Some spoilery thoughts

Spoiler

I was wondering - how do you load and unload cargo on a sandworm?

I was kind of disappointed we didn't get a creepy toddler Alia killing the Baron.

I thought Florence Pugh was a little miscast. She doesn't strike me as a princess type.

Posted (edited)

My son (20) and his friends went to see Dune 2.   He was talking to them afterwards about Feyd and compared Sting's portrayal to the modern one.   His friends looked at him and were like..."Who is Sting?"

My 2 cents, this remake is beautiful and soulless.  It looks great but it's just not as good as the first movie.

• Spoiler
    • Christopher Walken is Christopher Walken, not the emperor.
    • Timothée Chalamet is not physically believable as a bad ass fighter.  The fight with Feyd, you know, for the Universe, was c+ type of effort.
    • Where is the sister...  not even born yet, ok cool\

I'll go yell at some clouds now

Edited by locodos
spoilered ... but why are you reading this thread if you ain't seen the movie yet

1 hour ago, locodos said:

My son (20) and his friends went to see Dune 2.   He was talking to them afterwards about Feyd and compared Sting's portrayal to the modern one.   His friends looked at him and were like..."Who is Sting?"

My 2 cents, this remake is beautiful and soulless.  It looks great but it's just not as good as the first movie.

•   Hide contents
    • Christopher Walken is Christopher Walken, not the emperor.
    • Timothée Chalamet is not physically believable as a bad ass fighter.  The fight with Feyd, you know, for the Universe, was c+ type of effort.
    • Where is the sister...  not even born yet, ok cool\

I'll go yell at some clouds now

And you thought Kyle McLachlan was believable as anything?

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Frank Herbert wrote Paul as a twink, so they cast a twink.

Yeah I’m reading it and he’s definitely a little barely 16 year old twink at the beginning 

Posted (edited)

In the book when Stilgar tells Jamis’s “wife” that Paul will now look after her and decide what relationship they will have, her immediate reaction to Paul is he’s basically boy. And Stilgar is like yeah but he kicked Jamis’s ass tho so deal with it. 

Edited by Levi

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Great movie, but with several stupid plot changes/omissions.

The Chani drama at the end was idiotic and the complete opposite of the book...I guess someone told DV they needed to inject more chic drama/romance bullshit.

Here’s an explanation from himself. I don’t necessarily get the guy tweeting tho. Everyone I’ve talked to understood the message quite clearly from the movies pov. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

If people are getting the simple message "Paul is bad" from the movie, or the book, then they've missed the actual message as badly as you possibly can.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Levi said:

Here’s an explanation from himself. I don’t necessarily get the guy tweeting tho. Everyone I’ve talked to understood the message quite clearly from the movies pov. 

I'm just talking about the stupid contrived drama around the Fayd knife fight.

Spoiler

Chani gets pissy when Paul agrees to marry Irulan, then eventually storms out in a huff to take an Uber worm to Starbucks.

In the book:

• Chani asks Paul if she should leave him before the knife fight...he tells her she will be at his side forever
  • Paul tells Chani that while he is marrying Irulan, he will never love her, touch her or give her kids. Chani will be his only love, real wife and the mother of his kids.
  • Paul then asks Chani and Jessica to negotiate the marriage/dowry with Irulan

Instead, we get what looks to the audience like a jilted, moody, teen girl hissy fit.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Reveal hidden contents

Chani gets pissy when Paul agrees to marry Irulan, then eventually storms out in a huff to take an Uber worm to Starbucks.

In the book:

• Chani asks Paul if she should leave him before the knife fight...he tells her she will be at his side forever
  • Paul tells Chani that while he is marrying Irulan, he will never love her, touch her or give her kids. Chani will be his only love, real wife and the mother of his kids.

Instead, we get what looks to the audience like a jilted, moody, teen girl hissy fit.

I just started the prophet section of the book, so I totally understand. I haven’t got to your other bullet points, but she’s still a different character from where I’m at. I can see why he didn’t have her support Paul there at the end because it would have confused the audience at that point. I bet in Messiah, we see her come around and support Paul, which would be more true to her character in the book.

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

I just started the prophet section of the book, so I totally understand. I haven’t got to your other bullet points, but she’s still a different character from where I’m at. I can see why he didn’t have her support Paul there at the end because it would have confused the audience at that point. I bet in Messiah, we see her come around and support Paul, which would be more true to her character in the book.

Sure, DV can have her do a 180 on Paul in Messiah, but that would just make her really look like a petulant child.

3 hours ago, Levi said:

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sure, DV can have her do a 180 on Paul in Messiah, but that would just make her really look like a petulant child.

Agree I don't know how Denis has her come around. The only thing I can think of is that she's pregnant (hence the blue scarf in the final battle) and that somehow reconciles them. 

Spoiler

In the book:

Movie was better than book in this scene by a lot. And who cares about the book? Lot of updates seem like huge improvements. A strict retelling of the book in a movie would be a catastrophe.

Chani was understandably pissed not just for having her soulmate offer to marry someone else, but for lying to her, recklessly agreeing to fight, exploiting her people to achieve power/get revenge, and/or expecting people to kneel. She knew him intimately. The other part about the scene that worked is that she didnt have to give a long speech about all that and that it effectively subverted expectations. Normally, you’d might see a satisfying conclusion after Paul’s badass duel and powerplay. She bolted.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Movie was better than book in this scene by a lot. And who cares about the book? Lot of updates seem like huge improvements. A strict retelling of the book in a movie would be a catastrophe.

Reveal hidden contents

Chani was understandably pissed not just for having her soulmate offer to marry someone else, but for lying to her, recklessly agreeing to fight, exploiting her people to achieve power/get revenge, and/or expecting people to kneel. She knew him intimately. The other part about the scene that worked is that she didnt have to give a long speech about all that and that it effectively subverted expectations. Normally, you’d might see a satisfying conclusion after Paul’s badass duel and powerplay. She bolted.

meh, that's your minority opinion. There's 100+ threads on Reddit et al on this exact topic. 

And I never said anything about needing a strict retelling. There were dozens of diversions/omissions people mention that aren't a big deal (Feyd and the Gom Jabbar, hidden blade, no Count Fenric, etc).

Chani was actually well versed in imperial politics and machinations, due to her father (another DV change). She realized the marriage was a necessity and wouldn't have been upset about it.

Book Chani - smart, strong, pragmatic, supportive, devoted to Paul

DV Chani - moody, petulant teenager

If you think the Chani changes are anything but stupid and confusing, you probably also wear a "Deckard was a Replicant" t-shirt.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Agree I don't know how Denis has her come around. The only thing I can think of is that she's pregnant (hence the blue scarf in the final battle) and that somehow reconciles them. 

Yeah that could work. DV has done a good job with his version thus far so I’m just going to trust him and hopefully it lands. 

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

meh, that's your minority opinion. There's 100+ threads on Reddit et al on this exact topic. 

And I never said anything about needing a strict retelling. There were dozens of diversions/omissions people mention that aren't a big deal (Feyd and the Gom Jabbar, hidden blade, no Count Fenric, etc).

Chani was actually well versed in imperial politics and machinations, due to her father (another DV change). She realized the marriage was a necessity and wouldn't have been upset about it.

If you think the Chani changes are anything but stupid and confusing, you probably also wear a "Deckard was a Replicant" t-shirt.

It’s such a complex story and super difficult to tell through film. In a perfect world HBO would give DV or someone as talented all the budget money they need to make it a series. Thats really the only way to properly tell the whole story. 

15 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

...as opposed to the enlightened echo chamber of surly

I'm sorry, was I the one who said something as stupid (and nerdy) as this:

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I have no idea what the "majority opinion" from reddit is, nor do I give a fuck. As an illiterati, I think the story pretty desperately needs a prominent character still all in on the "this Messiah shit is bogus, and it's going to get us all killed" train. It seems like DV hasn't made it much of a secret how flawed and self-fulfilling society's need for saviors is. Starting from the first movie ("OMG he tucked his pants into his boots, he is the one!") to Stilgar seeing exactly what he wants to see in this one. There's nothing moody and petulant about having the strength to say "fuck all this shit, I won't watch you massacre my people."

I will say though, damn, that crooked front tooth is distracting as fuck on a massive IMAX screen.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I have no idea what the "majority opinion" from reddit is, nor do I give a fuck. As an illiterati, I think the story pretty desperately needs a prominent character still all in on the "this Messiah shit is bogus, and it's going to get us all killed" train. It seems like DV hasn't made it much of a secret how flawed and self-fulfilling society's need for saviors is. Starting from the first movie ("OMG he tucked his pants into his boots, he is the one!") to Stilgar seeing exactly what he wants to see in this one. There's nothing moody and petulant about having the strength to say "fuck all this shit, I won't watch you massacre my people."

I will say though, damn, that crooked front tooth is distracting as fuck on a massive IMAX screen.

Yeah, you're definitely a "Deckard was a Replicant" guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:49 PM, Js1 said:

Between Dune and Silo, she's currently a fave for me.  She's great

She's scrumptious but I think the best she's ever looked was in Dr. Sleep.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:20 PM, Michael Knight said:

And you thought Kyle McLachlan was believable as anything?

His best role was mayor of Portland.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Well the two central themes of the book are  how man is unable to change his fate no matter how powerful and prescient he may be, and how all human power comes at the cost of the suffering of others

More book talk. I laid out pragmatic reasons why the movie Chani would be pissed and not your pretend book Chani that doesnt exist except in a different version. It’s almost 60 years old. It’s the Tom Bombadil LOTR talk all over again.

“Moody, Petulant”? I saw a heart-broken, disillusioned movie character who was privy to Paul’s doubts and thoughts and felt betrayed. Your preconceptions are irrelevant about how badass the book Chani is. Fuck Book Chani. I hope she got killed off.