Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

....Thus, I took you to mean that you don’t believe that the President of the United States needs to demonstrate support for that by joining his peers, presumably because you don’t think the subject matter is politically important to Trump’s home audience.

Do I have you wrong? Because I think I have you right, in part because you went on to say that people you know would have skipped the meeting.

Close.  Be sure you carefully distinguish among the following:

- whether the meeting was important

- whether the issue is important

- whether the issue is important to Trump's home audience

- whether the issue is important to the audience Trump is selling

-whether the issue is important to me

(and about ten others)

I think that Trump was being Trump.  It resonated with his base.  It pissed off people who hate him, which resonated even more with his base.  It's his act.  It does not impact any international agreement on empowering women.

• Like 1

Close.  Be sure you carefully distinguish among the following:
- whether the meeting was important
- whether the issue is important
- whether the issue is important to Trump's home audience
- whether the issue is important to the audience Trump is selling
-whether the issue is important to me
(and about ten others)
I think that Trump was being Trump.  It resonated with his base.  It pissed off people who hate him, which resonated even more with his base.  It's his act.  It does not impact any international agreement on empowering women.

But it impacts his - and our - credibility when dealing with our (former) allies.

It will take decades to undo the damage, if ever.

Remember that, next time we need to build, say, an international military coalition. If you were Germany or France, or Canada, etc...would you join up, or say “gee, we would, but we’re gonna be washing our hair for the next 5 years?”

People remember when you treat them like shit and take their friendship for granted.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TahoeHorn said:

Trump is in a pissing match with the Euros.  It's about trade.  I don't agree with his position but I have no trouble understanding what is going on.  I'm not sure why so many here don't get it.  He was insulting Macron the same way the New England Patriots insulted him - don't show to their party.

It was the Eagles moron. If you can't even be bothered to pay attention to the facts then don't fucking have an opinion

• Like 1

Man, I wish I were smart enough to understand Tahoe. At least he had the decency to inform us where the problem is. I will work to be smarter, and maybe, one day, I can hurl back the idiots seemingly shooting down my argument with a "you're too dull to get it, apparently."

Smaht.

56btDabKS3SXVHQeaRjC_Classroom%20Nutshot

• Like 1

I’m being awesome, as usual.
You justify the president’s undignified tardiness (alone among his head of state peers) by saying the women’s empowerment meeting was not important or substantive, but a show for home politics. Thus, I took you to mean that you don’t believe that the President of the United States needs to demonstrate support for that by joining his peers, presumably because you don’t think the subject matter is politically important to Trump’s home audience.

Do I have you wrong? Because I think I have you right, in part because you went on to say that people you know would have skipped the meeting.

it’s as if the dynamics of Doug Jones’ win escape him.

which is perfectly fine with me...
  • Like 1

Showing up is half of the job. I don’t give a fuck if Trump, his base, or some numbnuts from Bugtussle fucking Alabama think it’s important or want to “show them stupid ferrners a thing or two about ‘Murica” - it’s his fucking job.

Anyone who carries water for this asshole has shown themselves to be a bad person and a terrible American.

• Like 6

Showing up is half of the job. I don’t give a fuck if Trump, his base, or some numbnuts from Bugtussle fucking Alabama think it’s important or want to “show them stupid ferrners a thing or two about ‘Murica” - it’s his fucking job.
Anyone who carries water for this asshole has shown themselves to be a bad person and a terrible American.
Well get ready for Trump 2020. My brown ass is voting for him this time. You bitches can cry another 6 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Fuck You 4

45 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Last I checked, dotard receives a salary to represent the USA at these kinds of meetings.  Fucking right he better have his fat ass in the room and on time. 

There are undoubtedly multiple people on the trip who are responsible for knowing his schedule and getting him where he needs to be on time. He wanted to be a bitch and walk in late. He's such a child.

Edited by retread

1 hour ago, TahoeHorn said:

It also resonated with toddlers. 

And it also reminds a lot of the people who voted against Hillary that Trump and the GOP are tarnishing everything they touch, and they are putting a lot of jobs at risk. 

And it reminds us of why posters on TexAgs and Free Republic, along with Russia, love Trump so much. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

No, the "I've got better things to do than listen to some French guy talk about empowering women" audience.  Trust me, I know a bunch of folks who would sleep late instead of go to that breakfast.  I'm sure the US sent somebody to hear the speech, and take notes. 

Shut the fuck up Donny.

5 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

I made two arguments, and I stand by both.  You didn't get the first exactly correct.

1. The meeting on empowering women was not important for substance.  It's all about show.  It was not about empowering women.  It was about home politics.

2. Trump insulted Macron by not showing for his speech.  Both guys have a burr up their ass about trade and ego.

I believe both 1 and 2.  They don't conflict.

Empowering women not of substance

An estimated 75 million children, many of them girls, are out of school in 35 conflict-affected countries around the world, according to the UN children's agency Unicef.

In conflict situations, girls are 2.5 times more likely than boys to not be in school.

Some of the larger commitments were made by the UK, which said it would invest $250m, and the World Bank, which said it would contribute $2bn over five years.

Canada said it was committing almost $310m over three years.

According to the government statement, investments will support global action to:

Equip women and girls with the skills needed for the jobs of the future

Improve training for teachers to provide a better curriculum for women and girls

Improve the quality of available data on women's and girls' education

Promote greater coordination between humanitarian and development partners

Support innovative education methods, especially for vulnerable and hard-to-reach groups, including refugees and displaced people

Support developing countries in efforts to provide equal opportunities for girls to complete at least 12 years of quality education, from primary to secondary school

Edited by TDunk

5 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

Oh, it's a dick move.

When do you support dick moves and when do you not?  What about on this board?  When do you approve of insulting posters?  When do you approve of negging posters?

I don't support Trump's move, but like a lot of posters here that can't stand to hear a view they don't like, and have Trump-like ego problems, I understand what they are doing and am not a bit surprised.

Go fuck yourself.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I'm not a big fan of McCain, even though I recognize and appreciate his service in the military.  I've had a problem with his wishy-washy behavior in DC for a while now.

But that is a serious right cross, from which there is no equivocating or backing off.  Good for you, Mr. McCain.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump has turned the United States of America into the western world's cuck.

Well done, Donald. Well done.

All according to Putin's plan, and Trump is his useful idiot. 

Even dogs on muzzles and a leash have more autonomy than Trump, he's more like Putin's hand puppet. It should be obvious to anyone but the most ignorant of sycophants that Trump is a toadie for Putin, his behavior to our allies should be exhibit A.