Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Latina and latino people is awkward to both say and write. Latinx covers everyone.

Latino covers everyone, that's how Spanish works. It's just humorous to me that non-Spanish speakers who are attempting to show how much they care about Latinos think it's okay for them to fix their language.

At least come up with a word that would be easily pronounced and used within a Spanish sentence. I suggest Latinu. There, problem solved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s a sound theory and plausible but I doubt it.  If it was to inspire a purge, he would have begun firing people by now.  Firing people isn’t Trump’s MO anymore.  He just bitches relentlessly.

The NYT would’ve likely seen through the charade if it was a plant or hoax. 

*shrugs*. We’ll see if a purging happens at some point.  Im not really convinced my hypothetical scenario is correct, but I am very convinced that op/ed wasn’t really penned by some high level staffer involved in a shadow resistence within the government.  It would be contrary to their self-interest on about 20 different levels.

So until someone can offer a plausible motive, I have to view the op/ed with skepticism.  Your spidey sense is tingling, too, or you wouldn’t be speculating it has to be Javanka because they would have the best chance of surviving the risk involved.

45 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You're thinking Trump is more like House of Cards but he's much more like Veep.

1.  I could be right about the op/ed being a plant and wrong about who planted it and what their motivations are.

2. Trump is a survivor devoid of morals who shows some creativity in media manipulation.  Americans of all ideologies have underestimated him to their peril.

3. Hey, Vlad, I’ve got this problem, and I’d like to get your advice...

38 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Best and conservative values

Nikki Haley spent over $52K in State Department money on curtains https://nyp.st/2D6xBp1 via @nypost

The State Department spent the curtain cash during a hiring freeze and funding cuts under former Secretary Rex Tillerson.

Haley is the first UN ambassador to live in the building after a Chinese company purchased the Waldorf-Astoria and the State Department deemed it unfit due to security concerns.

Her apartment is listed for $58,000 a month.

Your GOP. 

I don't disagree, Huckleberry, although I also enjoy seeing organic language evolution. I'm also sympathetic to the politics of latinx (and it's definitely  political neologism), and I find a lot of interesting merit to the idea of de-masculinizing aspects of language. That said, latinx doesn't work very well in verbal speech. Wikipedia notes that other people have suggested "latine" as a gender neutral term, which I think works much better overall.

Poor Eric. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eric-trump-fox-news-economy-lies-fact-checked_us_5b9b5868e4b013b0977954f5?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

Eric Trump lied in comparing the Trump White House’s economic accomplishments with the Obama administration’s on a Fox News podcast, and was humiliatingly called out for it.

President Donald Trump’s son challenged “The Fox News Rundown” host Dave Anthony to “name a quantifiable measure right now that we have in our society that’s not better off than it was 20 months ago” in audio shared online Thursday.

“We’ve got the fastest-growing economy in the history of our country,” Trump boasted, before listing what he said were the economic successes of his father’s administration. (Trump also repeated his anti-Semitic “shekels” slur about veteran journalist Bob Woodward’s book, Fear: Trump in the White House.)

Anthony agreed “consumer confidence” was soaring, but took Trump to task over his “fastest-growing economy” brag.

“However, when you say it’s the fastest-growing economy we’ve ever had, that isn’t really the case, because economic growth of the low-4 percents is what we just have had in the last quarter and there’s hope that that would continue,” said Anthony.

“But you have to be fair, even during the Obama administration, while he did have some very low growth in quarters, there were times that he got over 5 percent in economic growth and over 4 percent more than once,” he added.

Trump said he doubted Anthony’s facts and said he’d “go back and check” the claim “very carefully” — which the podcast later did with data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis to prove that Trump was indeed wrong.

18 minutes ago, Goredho said:

shrugs*. We’ll see if a purging happens at some point.  Im not really convinced my hypothetical scenario is correct, but I am very convinced that op/ed wasn’t really penned by some high level staffer involved in a shadow resistence within the government.  It would be contrary to their self-interest on about 20 different levels.

So until someone can offer a plausible motive, I have to view the op/ed with skepticism.  Your spidey sense is tingling, too, or you wouldn’t be speculating it has to be Javanka because they would have the best chance of surviving the risk involved.

To add on to my Javanka theory:  the op-ed came immediately following the weekend of the McCain funeral which Javanka attended. 

Those speeches probably hit really close to home for both of them.  They saw what leadership looks like and were embarrassed to the point it inspired them to speak out against Trumpism, but not formally.

The NYT wouldn’t publish that op-ed if it came from one low level staffer.  It came from someone with well established rapport with the NYT high up in the administration.  

If you’ve read the Woodward book, you can see Jared pretty much runs shit behind the scenes.  He has put the kibosh on much of the outlandish shit the administration wanted to do and has the most influence in Trump’s inner circle, plus he is a democrat.

However, there were likely multiple motives in the op-ed too.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

That said, latinx doesn't work very well in verbal speech.

Is latinx pronounced "latine-ex"? I kinda like the idea of a gringofied "latin-X".  Gives it a kinda edgy Malcolm political activism vibe to it.

Edited by Anastasis

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Your GOP. 

"Plans to buy the curtains were made during the Obama administration"  OK.  Let's see where this takes us.

"The installation took place from March to August last year, during Haley’s tenure as ambassador, the paper said."  Hmmm.  "Last year" was 2017

"The State Department spent the curtain cash during a hiring freeze and funding cuts under former Secretary Rex Tillerson."  This just gets curiouser and curiouser.  Rex Tillerson wasn't Secretary under Obama.

"Haley is the first UN ambassador to live in the building after a Chinese company purchased the Waldorf-Astoria and the State Department deemed it unfit due to security concerns."   The Waldorf was bought by a Chinese company in 2014

So if I'm to believe this bullshit, the Obama administration...who was out of office on January 20, 2017...ordered curtains for an apartment that they somehow knew would be occupied by a Trump cabinet member.  Now, I'm no high-end window covering expert, but it seems to me that at least some of the payment...if ordered by the Obama administration...would have been made during the Obama administration, and not when there's a hiring freeze and spending cuts imposed under someone who NEVER WORKED FOR OBAMA.

These people are so full of shit, their eyes are brown.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Latino covers everyone, that's how Spanish works. It's just humorous to me that non-Spanish speakers who are attempting to show how much they care about Latinos think it's okay for them to fix their language.

At least come up with a word that would be easily pronounced and used within a Spanish sentence. I suggest Latinu. There, problem solved.

This goddamit.

And "Latin" works in English to cover Latino/a just fine as well.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I don't disagree, Huckleberry, although I also enjoy seeing organic language evolution. I'm also sympathetic to the politics of latinx (and it's definitely  political neologism), and I find a lot of interesting merit to the idea of de-masculinizing aspects of language. That said, latinx doesn't work very well in verbal speech. Wikipedia notes that other people have suggested "latine" as a gender neutral term, which I think works much better overall.

What you mean to say is "de-masculinizing aspects of English"  which is ill informed at best, when you're borrowing from a Romance language where the masculine and feminine are baked in already.  Trying to project 21st century leftist politics upon English, based upon words borrowed from languages that are many thousands of years old seems - off.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not actually sure I remember you saying that pre-election.  

I sure did.  I was probably guilty of underestimating the depths of his depravity as well as the degree to which the Republicans would kowtow, but I sure as hell warned that he would be the worst, most irredeemable POTUS in our history.

You?  I think you were still transitioning from old school conservative into defeated anarchist.

Hell I said just his nomination would be enough to destroy us

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is latinx pronounced "latine-ex"? I kinda like the idea of a gringofied "latin-X".  Gives it a kinda edgy Malcolm political activism vibe to it.

Ive heard both. Latinex and lateenx 

Edited by Js1

What you mean to say is "de-masculinizing aspects of English"  which is ill informed at best, when you're borrowing from a Romance language where the masculine and feminine are baked in already.  Trying to project 21st century leftist politics upon English, based upon words borrowed from languages that are many thousands of years old seems - off.
I mean I find the idea of demasculinizing aspects of all languages with gendered components interesting. I'm also well aware of the development of English. I had a whole class on it as a part of my first degree. As you point out, languages change. Anyway, sorry for the derail. Wasn't my intention to rile anyone up.

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:
50 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I mean I find the idea of demasculinizing aspects of all languages with gendered components interesting. I'm also well aware of the development of English. I had a whole class on it as a part of my first degree. As you point out, languages change. Anyway, sorry for the derail. Wasn't my intention to rile anyone up.

#humblebrag

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We've become so bored with Trump's bombast that we lapse into strange and only mildly interesting side topics.

My contribution: People who speak Latin are Romans.

Yesterday it was sacramental wine, today its Latinex. At least tomorrow we can bitch about Tom Herman.

I wondered if there was a question of the use of Latinx. Yep. There is. 

I do not care what you want to call yourself in ethnic terms. There are ones you can use in your ethnic groups that I cannot. That's a fact borne out in countless firings and visits to the HR office. I am happy to use whatever term is the most widely accepted and will catch me the least amount of backlash. I suspect the x is there to remove any gender connotations. 

Oriental used to be ok. 

All brown people were Hispanic.

Those are out of bounds now. Is Hispanic as offensive as oriental?

Nobody has ever been offended by occidental. And nobody cares.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Nobody is offended by Hispanic, or at least anyone I know.

Hispanic means of a Spanish speaking country. Spaniards are Hispanic. Brazilians are not Hispanic.

Latino means of a Latin American country. Brazilians are Latino. Spaniards are not Latino.

This. Latinx is just a gender neutral term for basically everything south of the US. It was born in the LGBTQ community in 2004 as a gender neutral identifier since Spanish explicitly has male or female pronouns. Think of as calling someone “ze” which gets ridiculed but similar concept. Gender neutral. 

Being able to choose your own label seems fair to me. Blacks in America very definitely had good reason to shed the labels dating to the racism that sprang from and allowed slavery. Same with ever other non-white group that didn't like the attitudes inherent in old terms.

However, somewhere along the way, scholars liked to talk about empowerment and how self-labeling was empowering. (This is just my perception, I have no evidence other than observation.) Everybody wants empowerment even if it's only symbolic. Let's call ourselves something different every ten years! We're empowered! I read it in a dissertation somewhere!

Something originally good and necessary becomes something kind of silly. In some cases such as LGBTQetc, the game becomes whack a mole where sometimes the innocent, well-intending out-group person doesn't get the current term precisely. Offense! Offense!

Something good almost always devolves into something bad or absurd over time. I'm glad to try to call anyone by the name they prefer. I'd appreciate it if those most sensitive about such things would recognize that I'm doing my best.

Fuck it. I'm contributing to the thread problem.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trauma babe said:

I like my suggestion (Latinu) better. Changing the last letter to an to make nouns gender neutral would end up making Spanish speakers sound Canadian. And nobody wants that, eh?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, now.....THERE'S an interesting bet.  Who will hold their current job longer, DOTUS or Mensa?

Man.....that's gonna be a tough call.  What kind of action you think it will get?

That's like the awesome Super Bowl prop bets.   Who will score more points today, the Patriots or Steph Curry?  And I'll go with DOTUS on that one.

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Gonna be some epic tweets in the morning if they don't take his phone away.

Or if he doesn't stroke out today.  I can only imagine him pacing and ranting around the WH like the lunatic he is while his pissant children are trying to call him for help and he's not answering the phone. They are all scared shitless knowing the gig is one step closer to being up and no one can bail any of their asses out of this.  The ultimate horrible day in Trump world.  I have zero sympathy for any of them.